InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

2 allergic reactions i never get! Mast cell activation is a different kind of thing - apparently.

Yes maybe - it’s happened with some other strains, mildly, just something to track. Fuzzy sensation around eyelids and slight swelling/tingling of my upper lip, both of which are a common way my reactions can start. It’s mild - but i need to keep it in check. Might have to knock that one off the list. There were times when it happened w Blue Dream as well but i was never certain that’s what it was, just suspicious. Maybe I’m allergic to Haze! :eek: :eek: :eek: Time will tell. It could be something internal - there was a time when water could trigger it because my internal histamine levels were so off the charts, so we’ll see. It’s such a weird thing to have to manage becasue I was never that allergy prone person, quite the opposite. I’ve never had “hayfever” or seasonal allergies, for example (no runny nose or watering eyes... that just never happens to me). ...blah...blah....blah
Allergies can wax or wane with age. Luckily, my minor ones have waned, but I know plenty of folks that have had 'em wax.

Not to call the wolf from the woods, but some allergies can develop with continued exposure (bee stings are an infamous example).

Onward & upward!

I'm more of a waxer. I wasn't allergic to anything until my 20s, and then developed an allergy to cats. In my late 40s I gained hay fever! Luckily it's not too bad, but still...
Allergic reactions to cats is another well-documented example of an allergy that increases with exposure. I read an interesting journal paper a decade ago that documented that many cat owners are allergic to them without realizing it because they're in denial, think it's something else, and/or don't notice it because they're used to living with the reactions.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

It's definitely true about the denial, as I know a few of those who wonder why their asthma keeps kicking up. I've never been a cat lover (much less owner), and now that I'm really allergic I like them even less :).

Dogs FTW. Big dogs if you got 'em!
I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one anymore. ;):tommy:

I'm here thru thursday, be sure to try the prime rib.:p

It's definitely true about the denial, as I know a few of those who wonder why their asthma keeps kicking up. I've never been a cat lover (much less owner), and now that I'm really allergic I like them even less :).

Dogs FTW. Big dogs if you got 'em!
Cats would eat you if they could......
That's what the science man said.

some allergies can develop with continued exposure
This! I have wondered if it was perhaps not a coincidence that it coincides with a period of, shall we say... higher consumption... ;)

But I’m sure what Shed said about specific terpenes is a really big part of it. I probably need to make a spreadsheet!

It’s also the case that it’s not necessarily an allergy to a specific thing. Just over-active histamine and mast cell activity which can be triggered by seemingly random things (including environmental stress, like heat, or other kinds of stress - not always food). That’s how it was explained to me when I was like - “how could i suddenly be allergic to strawberries after never having been before!!?” :eek: “You’re not allergic to them...” she said... “it’s a whole other kind of thing...”

@NaturalSpirit :ciao: you may come across it too - I’m starting keep a detailed diary, kinda tedious but necessary :nerd-with-glasses:

I’ve read a little bit about allergy reactions to the terps in cannabis - definitley a possibility. I had a skin reaction to the Critical Mass while gardening (came out i spots where bare skin brushed against it), but the topical oil I made from it doesn’t produce the same response, so that was clearly just some terpene or something active in the foliage of the growing plant (a lemon something i think).

how could i suddenly be allergic to strawberries after never having been before!!?”
So the thing about strawberries is some people are only allergic to the enzymes inside the seeds. The seeds are not digested so you can eat whole strawberries. Now if you blend them into a smoothie you could get a throat closing reaction. Funny things allergies.

I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one anymore. ;):tommy:

I'm here thru thursday, be sure to try the prime rib.:p
Mmmmmm
:drool:

Such fond memories of that drunken street food while travelling S. Korea.
:rofl:

"The responsible chemical is found in other foods as well — grapefruit, lemons, celery, carrots and parsley — but often the culprit is lime juice. Indeed, this reaction is sometimes known as margarita dermatitis."
At the time i actually traced it to citral - which is common in cannabis (and other plants) and often more responsible for lemony aromas than limonene. I cant get past the paywall for that article so dont now if that’s the one mentioned there or not.

Back
Top Bottom