InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

I could literally start to see the salt on the sides of the fabric pots which I presumed wasn't a good thing.

some of the cheaper or thinner bags will get staining. it doesn't harm a thing. the black fabric ones will show it more, but it's just as present on the brown ones.

as long as the plant is happy it won't matter.

some of the cheaper or thinner bags will get staining. it doesn't harm a thing. the black fabric ones will show it more, but it's just as present on the brown ones.
So it doesn't necessarily mean there's a salt build up then? There also seemed to be a white substance on top of the soil which I presumed was also salt. :hmmmm:
as long as the plant is happy it won't matter.
The plant seemed to be perfectly happy until all the yellowing started. :(
Do you have any soil left to test out of the bag?
I just did a slurry test with the little bit of soil left in the bag and it's sitting at 7.1, far from the 6.5 it claims on the bag. I just don't understand why it's only showing problems in the last week or so if the pH has been high from the beginning.

So it doesn't necessarily mean there's a salt build up then?

on the outside of the bag sure.but that's not what to look out for. look at the plant. how does they look ? that is what you go by.

There also seemed to be a white substance on top of the soil which I presumed was also salt.

depends on your media. it could possibly be mycorrhizae which is beneficial.
a pic would go a long way.

The plant seemed to be perfectly happy until all the yellowing started.

could have missed a nute bump, got a lock out, several factors could be at play.
again a few pics would help sort.

I just did a slurry test with the little bit of soil left in the bag and it's sitting at 7.1, far from the 6.5 it claims on the bag. I just don't understand why it's only showing problems in the last week or so if the pH has been high from the beginning.

slurry test if of little use. don't chase outputs. it's your inputs that need to be balanced. that is where you want to focus.

toss up a thread in the faq section as well if you are having issues. lots of folk get help there.

Friday update from the perlite cloning station! Too chilly this morning for anything to leave their warm confines, so this is all I have for you today...

Candida cutting after 47 days:

Sour G cuttings after 34 days:

Sour G cuttings after 28 days:

I tossed the Candida since I have two rooted clones in ProMix (done my regular way), and I'm keeping one of each of the other Sour G's until I see roots on the last cuts I made (undomed for 5 days now and doing fine).

Perlite has worked for me a few times, but if I need to know I've got clones ready to go, I'm sticking with ProMix and Dip'n Grow.

My weekend starts in 6 hours!:slide:

Quotes:
Hamilton? I've never heard of that!!!
You're funny!
So it doesn't necessarily mean there's a salt build up then? There also seemed to be a white substance on top of the soil which I presumed was also salt.
Nothing wrong with salt build-up on the sides of a fabric pot. It's just where the water evaporates leaving the contents behind. You can ignore it since you're getting good runoff.
Post pics of the guaranteed analysis label of the nutes you're feeding it and in what amounts/gallon. Is this your only plant at the moment?
a pic would go a long way
Did you see this one from yesterday?

Nothing wrong with salt build-up on the sides of a fabric pot. It's just where the water evaporates leaving the contents behind. You can ignore it since you're getting good runoff.
Well that's a bit of a relief. I wasn't very concerned about the salts on the sides until I could see it building up on the topsoil. :nervous-guy:
Post pics of the guaranteed analysis label of the nutes you're feeding it and in what amounts/gallon.
It's all in Spanish so I translated it: 4.1% Uric Nitrogen, 7.8% Phosphorus Pentoxide (P205), 8% Potassium Oxide (K2O) micronutrients (Boron, Copper, Iron, Manganese, Zinc), 3.4% Humic acid, 2.6% Fulvic acid. Label says to feed 2-4 ml/L so 8-16ml per gallon. I've been feeding around 2ml/L. My original concern was underfeeding but I ruled that out when I noticed a little nute burn.
Is this your only plant at the moment?
I've got a Wedding Cake that's yellowing badly and a Chocolope that looks pretty good in comparison to the other two.
Wedding Cake Day 41.jpg
Chocolope Day 41.jpg

Well that's a bit of a relief. I wasn't very concerned about the salts on the sides until I could see it building up on the topsoil. :nervous-guy:
It's all in Spanish so I translated it: 4.1% Uric Nitrogen, 7.8% Phosphorus Pentoxide (P205), 8% Potassium Oxide (K2O) micronutrients (Boron, Copper, Iron, Manganese, Zinc), 3.4% Humic acid, 2.6% Fulvic acid. Label says to feed 2-4 ml/L so 8-16ml per gallon. I've been feeding around 2ml/L. My original concern was underfeeding but I ruled that out when I noticed a little nute burn.
I've got a Wedding Cake that's yellowing badly and a Chocolope that looks pretty good in comparison to the other two.
4.1% Uric Nitrogen
7.8% Phosphorus Pentoxide (P205),
8% Potassium Oxide (K2O)
Micronutrients (Boron, Copper, Iron, Manganese, Zinc)

So you're at 4-8-8 which too little N and too much P, but the Chocolope looks fine! Is there calcium, magnesium, and sulfur somewhere in the nutes as well? Where did you see nute burn and how long ago? This is why we ask folks to keep a journal with pics along the way. ;)

Have you slurry tested the Choco soil to see if it's also out of range?

Is there calcium, magnesium, and sulfur somewhere in the nutes as well?
I've been relying on the hard tap water source for that which hasn't been a problem in the past but I do remember reading something about needing more calmag when using LEDs?
Where did you see nute burn and how long ago?
It was mainly on the Wedding Cake fan leaves a couple of weeks ago. A little on the Runtz too but nothing on the Chocolope.
This is why we ask folks to keep a journal with pics along the
I know, my laziness has come back to haunt me big time. I'll definitely make a journal for the next run without fail.
Have you slurry tested the Choco soil to see if it's also out of range?
Yeah, it was in the 7.3 range a few days ago. :(
So you're at 4-8-8 which too little N and too much P,
Should I mix in some veg nutes (9-4-8) to see if it helps? I've also got a fresh bag of EWC if you think that could do something.

It was mainly on the Wedding Cake fan leaves a couple of weeks ago. A little on the Runtz too but nothing on the Chocolope.
Did you cut back on the feed on all three?
I know, my laziness has come back to haunt me big time. I'll definitely make a journal for the next run without fail.
:thumb:
Yeah, it was in the 7.3 range a few days ago.
Odd that you have three plants in identical soil with three different looks.
Should I mix in some veg nutes (9-4-8) to see if it helps? I've also got a fresh bag of EWC if you think that could do something.
EWC is never a bad thing in soil. And did I ever mention that you should use the 9-4-8 from birth to harvest?

4.1% Uric Nitrogen
7.8% Phosphorus Pentoxide (P205),
8% Potassium Oxide (K2O)
Micronutrients (Boron, Copper, Iron, Manganese, Zinc)

So you're at 4-8-8 which too little N and too much P
Don’t forget to multiply P2O5 by 0.43 to get P and multiply K2O by 0.83 to get K

So it’s really 4-3.4-6.6

Did you cut back on the feed on all three?
I've been feeding pretty light throughout and when I presumed it was salt build up I cut back for a couple of feeds on all three.
Odd that you have three plants in identical soil with three different looks.
I know, right? The main difference I can think of is that the Chocolope took a little longer to transition to bloom nutes because she was taking longer to drink. Only by a few days though, maybe a week. :hmmmm:
EWC is never a bad thing in soil
I think I'll give them all a good top dressing then, I'm sure it can't make things any worse.
And did I ever mention that you should use the 9-4-8 from birth to harvest?
I did give that a try but the buds ended up very leafy, I think it was 50/50 bud to leaf after trimming. I used the same bloom nutes last run and didn't have this problem either.

The main difference I can think of is that the Chocolope took a little longer to transition to bloom nutes
Interesting. So the Choco was getting more N until recently.
I did give that a try but the buds ended up very leafy, I think it was 50/50 bud to leaf after trimming
That's also phenotype-related, so I don't think that 9-4-8 will lead to generally leafy buds. I run mine 10-2-11 in flower and don't have that problem.

I did give that a try but the buds ended up very leafy, I think it was 50/50 bud to leaf after trimming. I used the same bloom nutes last run and didn't have this problem either.
Were these clones? Can’t really draw any conclusion otherwise.

Interesting. So the Choco was getting more N until recently.
Okay, so I just checked my calendar and the last feed for the Chocolope was ⅓ veg and ⅔ bloom nutes, 17 days ago. The others have been on full bloom nutes for the past 2 weeks. I wonder if I go 50/50 veg/bloom, they might bounce back? :nervous-guy:
That's also phenotype-related, so I don't think that 9-4-8 will lead to generally leafy buds. I run mine 10-2-11 in flower and don't have that problem.
That's a fair point. There were also other factors like lack of direct sunlight and perhaps some light leaks that probably contributed. I guess my dumb ass just blamed it on the nutes haha.
Were these clones? Can’t really draw any conclusion otherwise.
Another good point Felipe, they were indeed from semilla.

Back
Top Bottom