InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

@MrSauga do you have any thoughts on leafy flowers with too much nitrogen? I recall you mentioning it in the past.
I probably did, and I may not have been clear on it either.

With an excess of nitrogen the plant wants to work hard building foliage, and stems, as this is what the plant uses it for. The more nitrogen it has, the more it will try and grow leaves and stems, rather than flowers. Your plant will grow quickly, but it will be weak and spindly.

Because your plant is building so much foliage, it will be very leafy, and the stems will stretch, and become weak. The stems will snap easily, and they will be more prone to bugs and diseases.

The other part that affects excessive leaf growth is the type of N being used. We tend to use two types, although there are three types of N available.

The nitrogen should be mainly in the nitrate form as it provides more compact and controlled growth. More extensive leaf and stem growth occurs with ammoniacal and urea nitrogen. In general, to avoid excessive stretching and oversized leaves, more than 60 percent of the nitrogen provided to plants should be in the nitrate form. Ideally 70 to 80 percent as this will provide a moderate growth response and avoid overly large cannabis plants

Some plants can grow so rapidly when supplied with excessive nitrogen that they develop protoplasm faster than they can build sufficient supporting material in cell walls. Those tend to be rather weak and may be prone to mechanical injury.
Another thing to note, plants with roots restricted by compaction may show signs of nitrogen deficiency even when adequate nitrogen is present in the soil.

Sorry for the absence here. Been a busy two days at work and not much change on the grow front, but I did want to get to these before anyone felt ignored. :)

Hey shed nice update without pic? Hope your weather is warming up we in the 70s today and an 80 degree day next week with more 70s .
Weather was great for a week and now we're in a stretch of me playing "hmmm...inside or out?" before I leave for work!
I probably did, and I may not have been clear on it either.
You probably were clear then but I just can't find them now. Might have been in that guy's thread using 10g/gallon.

Thanks for the clarifying posts here though!
Your plant will grow quickly, but it will be weak and spindly.
Because your plant is building so much foliage, it will be very leafy, and the stems will stretch, and become weak. The stems will snap easily, and they will be more prone to bugs and diseases.
Okay, well I don't have much stretch or weak stems. And it has been leafy from the earliest stages, so maybe it's genetic?
The nitrogen should be mainly in the nitrate form as it provides more compact and controlled growth. More extensive leaf and stem growth occurs with ammoniacal and urea nitrogen. In general, to avoid excessive stretching and oversized leaves, more than 60 percent of the nitrogen provided to plants should be in the nitrate form. Ideally 70 to 80 percent as this will provide a moderate growth response and avoid overly large cannabis plants
Here is something different that I've been doing the last two(?) grows. I have changed up my nitrogen sources in an attempt to keep the pH of the Hp from drifting. Maybe, just maybe, cannabis needs a lot more than 60% nitrate, as I think my plants did better at the 91% nitrate provided in the cheap nutes. Of course, going back to that would mean slurry testing more often, but it would be worth it if that's the difference.

I think I will slurry test this weekend, and if it's in the correct range I will run ~90% N for the rest of the grow.

The other option, as I think you have mentioned previously, would be to go back to quality soil. No pH drift over the length of my grows in that media.

FFHF, FFOF, or MG Organic were your recommendations?
Now I have to go back and look at all the links in the update. But it’s nice to know nothing has slowed down here.
I wish there were a way to code my links to open in a new tab, but alas they don't allow that code here. You'll just have to use the Back arrow. :)

Sorry for the absence here. Been a busy two days at work and not much change on the grow front, but I did want to get to these before anyone felt ignored. :)

Weather was great for a week and now we're in a stretch of me playing "hmmm...inside or out?" before I leave for work!

You probably were clear then but I just can't find them now. Might have been in that guy's thread using 10g/gallon.

Thanks for the clarifying posts here though!

Okay, well I don't have much stretch or weak stems. And it has been leafy from the earliest stages, so maybe it's genetic?

Here is something different that I've been doing the last two(?) grows. I have changed up my nitrogen sources in an attempt to keep the pH of the Hp from drifting. Maybe, just maybe, cannabis needs a lot more than 60% nitrate, as I think my plants did better at the 91% nitrate provided in the cheap nutes. Of course, going back to that would mean slurry testing more often, but it would be worth it if that's the difference.

I think I will slurry test this weekend, and if it's in the correct range I will run ~90% N for the rest of the grow.

The other option, as I think you have mentioned previously, would be to go back to quality soil. No pH drift over the length of my grows in that media.

I wish there were a way to code my links to open in a new tab, but alas they don't allow that code here. You'll just have to use the Back arrow. :)
Ignored...as if...sorry works been keeping you busy!

Plants are looking fantastic as always shed. I think I’m going to try to figure out a way to implement your drying technique. That’s one part of the whole process I really feel I want to improve. I’m usually overwhelmed with pounds of hanging branches and dries to quick in my shed because it’s usually still 90+ degrees here. Hopefully I’m going to need a few pretty large boxes come October.

I don't think anyone really knows why some plants yield better results or have better bud structure. You really are left to believe it's a genetic thing. Many growers have controlled environments and yet from one grow to the next the results will vary.

Well ideally it's 70-80%, so is a lot more 10-20%? I use an 80/20 mix.

FFOF is my go to, but I use MG Nature's Care Organic Potting Soil as my alternative. Very similar, and easier on the pocket book.

I don't think anyone really knows why some plants yield better results or have better bud structure. You really are left to believe it's a genetic thing. Many growers have controlled environments and yet from one grow to the next the results will vary.

FFOF is my go to, but I use MG Nature's Care Organic Potting Soil as my alternative. Very similar, and easier on the pocket book.
:thanks: MrS!

I'll be at Home Depot tomorrow so I'll see what they have before I drop more dosh at a nursery.

I'm going to switch back to 90/10 for now on all my plants. Tomorrow because today it's windy AF and I had to bring them in before they broke in two. :eek:

I'm going to switch back to 90/10 for now on all my plants. Tomorrow because today it's windy AF and I had to bring them in before they broke in two. :eek:
I don't know what is considered windy AF down there, but we get a little breeze up here once in a while, and as long as my plants are supported they love to dance. I'll be running a couple outdoors this summer I think. Is it possible you are loving them too much for outdoor plants?

Windy enough that 3 plants blew over, the DV now has a curve in its trunk, and the cover on the hot tub blew open.
Ya, that seems a little extreme. Dancing is one thing, breaking a leg doing it is another.
I look forward to seeing your deck.
It needs to be stained again. :(
I'm not sure. Someone else needs to make that call.
I will, and you're not. I think you are well aware of what your plants need.

That's true . U can make them tight lose and all of how u grow and light distance and all. Just keeping them green is not only thing

It's amazing what can happen when @MrSauga is between naps! :Rasta:

Monday update is the Doug's Varin pics I took yesterday, as there is not much of note going on these days in my grow life. Clones in solo cups, mother plants, and the Jack Herer and Candida all look the same as last time you saw them.

Here is the DV on flip day 39:

I left more larf than I thought but I'm not sure about taking a lot of that off this late into flower:

Bits and pieces I always do, but there is a lot down under that I would enjoy getting rid of.

For the record, I've switched back to 90/10 nitrate mix for the nutes, and as I did last winter at this time, I'm considering going back to soil. Not sure why this is my new springtime activity. :hmmmm:

Last year was an absolute mess with the Kellogg's potting soil at a pH of 7.6, but this year I will probably splurge on some FFOF or FFHF depending on which is easier to find. Haven't seen the MG Nature's Care Organic anywhere and no FoxFarm at Home Depot or Lowe's. We'll see!

I hope your weekend went well and you are getting the sense that spring (the vernal equinox when we get back to 12/12 again) is only two weeks away. :peace:

Quotes:
It needs to be stained again.
The plants won't care either way!
I think you are well aware of what your plants need.
I don't believe that for a minute. I'm just throwing nutes at the wall to see what sticks. :)
It's amazing what can happen when @MrSauga is between naps!
IKR?
He should be woken more often
Yes. Yes he should! :love:
I have not noticed. You mean the not growing any more new pistols after the initial bunch on top? I'll keep an eye out for it! That's a cool observation you made!
Keep use posted... :popcorn:
I have stumbled my way in once again, Shed. I have not read the hundreds of pages that I missed in my absence, but did catch up on the last page. Forgive me if this is repetitive, how did your reversal project go?
Thanks for cruising by DAB! Things have slowed down here a lot lately with very little going on, so you'll have a much easier time keeping up!

I ended up with some slightly unripe Candida seeds when the STS sprayed one self-pollinated (about a 30% germ rate), but none of the pollen I collected worked (poor storage?). And the STS I sprayed on the Sour G didn't flip it at all.

As soon as the nights are warm enough to flip plants in the shed, I'm going with a much stronger STS dilution and trying the Sour G again. I've completely given up on the GA3!

The Varin is looking really nice, Shed, and right in the center of the pot! :ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom