Jandre2k3's Cardboard Flowerbox - 41 Week Perpetual SOG Part2

Re: Jandre2k3's Cardboard Flowerbox - 41 Week Perpetual SOG Part2 - Blue Planet Nutri

Grow Update: Defoliation

Well, well, well... Defoliation (light) for Day 22 was a little behind schedule, but it's done now.

Click the Pic for Full Size.

Looking good, bud! :high-five:

Re: Jandre2k3's Cardboard Flowerbox - 41 Week Perpetual SOG Part2 - Blue Planet Nutri

Okay, so I got tired of wasted space under the 400w light I have in this tiny box, so I put 2 of the F0 jandre Kush in the box to flower out. They were up in the Maternity Ward just hangin' out. They really should be culled, because they're kinda wimpy, and I'm tired of lookin' at 'em honestly, so.... yeah, they're filling the corners of the box, now. Who knows, they could produce some really nice bud. Still have some space to fill in Side A, but I'm waiting for clones to be ready. I put 2 in early to see if I could still keep those shorties I had in the first. Just playing around, I guess, but oh well. They're Purple Mr. Nice, and we'll add more vigorous clones later. This is, after all, supposed to be a PERPETUAL SOG, lol.

nothing wrong with them clones bro, they may suprise you and throw up traits you didnt expect to see. untill you stabilise it properly you could have great grandparents showing their faces. well if you breed em anyway, darwin doesnt get much of a look in with a clone army. :rofl:

we can hope my friend. i know people say clones are identical, but they can definatly show variation if a different enviroment is present and every now and then you may get a random mutation. and since its your strain your probably now looking for all sorts of little traits you can blend in...so ANY plant you grow crap or not has the potential to offer something to the pool. for all we know they may be super vigorous but caught a little cold or something at the begining of rooting that slowed em down.....only in disaster do we see someones true potential, its the same with plants....give em hell, any still standing no matter how weak looking has got something to it ;)

Okay, frustration is setting in...

DWC Bubble Cloner keeps getting clear slime, and rotting stems. I've now lost 100% in 2 rounds of clones. I'm thinking maybe I should set it up as some sort of undercurrent, maybe? I dunno.

Temps range from 67 to 75, pH starts at 5.5, but toward day 3 it starts wildly changing. I've been changing it out about every 3 or 4 days to get it to settle back down. Here are some pics of the stems after 11 days in the cloner... No roots, and this sort of rotting, weakening of the outer layers of the stems. Had some fall off into the res below...

I did have 3x T5 HO lights about 8" above, maybe that was making them too warm... will turn off 2 of them to see how the next one goes. I'll not let this beat me like that.

I did have one that started making roots... ABOVE THE NEOPRENE COLLAR. pissed me off. anyway, before I start another, I'm bleaching the little res boxes, and the collars.

Here are some pics.

IMG_35984.JPG
IMG_35994.JPG
IMG_36005.JPG
IMG_36035.JPG
IMG_36043.JPG

hey bro i have had alot of problems cloning aswell but seems to be slowly redeeming themselves i have just started a journal but i will take a pic of my cloner and some details that might help because i find a lil bit of insight can go a long way and if someone helped me i dont think it would of taking as long to gain knoledge needed great job !

man that sucks hairy balls.

i know you know your shit but just a quick checklist.
bubbler bubbling?
temps correct?
no light to rooting area?
maybe add h2o2 for hygene?
sick plant near by generating spores?
cuttings have low N and high carbs?
this doesnt cure your problem, but quicker rooting clones may help...have you tried etiolation for a few days before you cut them?

cant think of anything else right now =/

good points so this is what i do jandre lots of air i have a 2 way air pump with airstones just for my cloner a waterpump around 500 gallons per hour i know it sounds alot but its worked for me from alot of reading on :420: then a series of mist srayers and straight water i dont use clonex or any rooting component i let the water sit 24hrs and ph is ruffly 6-7 and change water every 4-5 days and also unblock any sprayers that need be as they clog easily i havent had any real problems so havent done anything about monitoring ph properly or frequently dont break something thats not broken although time love and care produces best results i have my cloner as far away from the light in my veg area and leave a dome over for first week ill post some pics for you these are 3 differant cuttings one at week 1 then weeks 2 and 3 no medium just neoprene inserts and also i take cuttings much smaller i hope this helps with a bit of adjusting im sure it will great job!
week 3
20121109_154752.jpg
week 2
20121109_154827.jpg
week 1
20121109_154924.jpg

hey bro i have had alot of problems cloning aswell but seems to be slowly redeeming themselves i have just started a journal but i will take a pic of my cloner and some details that might help because i find a lil bit of insight can go a long way and if someone helped me i dont think it would of taking as long to gain knoledge needed great job !
good points so this is what i do jandre lots of air i have a 2 way air pump with airstones just for my cloner a waterpump around 500 gallons per hour i know it sounds alot but its worked for me from alot of reading on :420: then a series of mist srayers and straight water i dont use clonex or any rooting component i let the water sit 24hrs and ph is ruffly 6-7 and change water every 4-5 days and also unblock any sprayers that need be as they clog easily i havent had any real problems so havent done anything about monitoring ph properly or frequently dont break something thats not broken although time love and care produces best results i have my cloner as far away from the light in my veg area and leave a dome over for first week ill post some pics for you these are 3 differant cuttings one at week 1 then weeks 2 and 3 no medium just neoprene inserts and also i take cuttings much smaller i hope this helps with a bit of adjusting im sure it will great job!
week 3 week 2 week 1

HI! Welcome to my 4th journal! Glad you decided to drop in and share with us, and welcome any input freely given. Thanks for your help, but I think our cloning set-ups are different. You're using Aeroponics, and I am set up for Deep Water Culture (DWC). I know the same basic principles still apply, but I have no pump inside to push water around. This is something that I'll probably end up playing with, though, so I'll look back on this when I need to for if/when I make the move to aeroponics.

I've been rooting in Rockwool for several years with great success, but the waste involved in "buy, use once, throw away," is a bit more costly than I can justify. I know the cost for most people is relatively small, but when running an SOG, with lots of cuttings it can take a bigger bite than most. Not only that, but I was looking for something that wouldn't just fall apart and end up doing damage to plants or equipment because of it. I actually had to clean some rockwool out of a 300 GPH pump because it broke apart and ended up in the res.

This is a new venture for me with the DWC, as I've been mostly Drip/Ebb&Flow up to this point, so res temps were less of a critically important part of the operation. Now I'm trying to root inside the reservoir, basically, the lights are a helluva lot closer to the main bulk of the water than I'm used to. I think turning off 2 of the three lights will lower the water temperature well enough to get the results I'm after. I think this because bacterial growth happens more quickly as the water gets warmer, so lower temps should help with the "Rot" part of my troubles. Combine that with the home made DMZONE I will be mixing up as soon as all the ingredients get here, I think bacterial growth will become negligible, and my cloning results will improve.

Thanks to Corey at Blue Planet Nutrients posting in Xlr8's journal a while back, Xlr8's "Flo N Gro" Hydro Multiple Strains 2011 I can now mix up what comes to me at 20-30 bucks a quart for pennies per gallon.
Ok so here we go:

First of all, VERY IMPORTANT!!! : TOO MUCH copper will KILL your plants. no Joke. So please, please, please, if you use this recipe you must have a VERY accurate scale. something like a jewelers scale that measures grams to at least one decimal place.

This recipe is for 1 gallon of homemade RootZone DM

first of all, when buying copper sulfate, there a couple different formulations for that particular chemical. so, what I have done is this: The following link is for 500 grams of copper sulfate pentahydrate
CHEM CU SULFATE PENTA ACS 500G - Laboratory Chemicals - Laboratory Supplies - 8EJ50 : Grainger Industrial Supply

The molecular weight of copper sulfate pentahydrate is 249.68
The molecular weight of copper is 63.546
divide 63.546 by 249.68 and you will find that copper sulfate pentahydrate is 25.6% copper. If you use another form of copper sulfate, make sure that you know the molecular weight of the compound which you can find using a periodic table. the reason I say this is that there is also Copper(II) sulfate (cupric sulfate) which has a higher percentage of copper because it is not hydrated.
Anyway, for 1 gallon, you will need exactly 15.14 grams of copper sulfate pentahydrate which is 1.024 grams of elemental copper per liter of water and thus 3.88 grams of elemental copper per gallon
1.024 grams elemental copper per 1000 ml RO water equals .1% soluble copper.

The amount of potassium nitrate in that stuff is negligible. I don't even know why it is in there. They use roughly 13 grams of potassium nitrate per gallon which does not contribute to the potassium or nitrogen content of your nutrient solution much at all.
So, just throw in 13-14 grams per gallon of potassium nitrate (saltpeter) and you will have roughly .06% nitrogen and .15% potassium
you can get potassium nitrate just about anywhere. you can get it on ebay for about $5 a pound all day long and most of the stuff listed on ebay is refined and high quality....much more pure than what is needed for this recipe.

anyway, to re-cap this recipe for 1 gallon of homemade rootzone DM:
use 15.14 grams of copper sulfate pentahydrate
13 grams of potassium nitrate
and 1 gallon (3785) ml pure RO water

There you have it. 1 gallon of RootZone DM for pennies!

Thank you very much... as I bow deeply for the audience lol :)

man that sucks hairy balls.

i know you know your shit but just a quick checklist.
bubbler bubbling?
yup

temps correct?
getting up to almost 75/76

no light to rooting area?
nope

maybe add h2o2 for hygene?
yup

sick plant near by generating spores?
nope

cuttings have low N and high carbs?
I "N Starve" 3 days prior

this doesnt cure your problem, but quicker rooting clones may help...have you tried etiolation for a few days before you cut them?
y'know, I hadn't thought of light starvation, but it stands to reason that it'd help root faster. Maybe if the light change over the rooters doesn't help, I'll try it.

cant think of anything else right now =/

GIGA! Thanks for weighing in bud.

As you mentioned, the Temps, I think, are the problem. I had 3x HO T5's running over a closed dome, literally 1" fro the top of the dome. 95*f light, over much of the air inside the dome can very quickly heat up and thus heat up the res. To fix, I will go down to 1 T5 HO and see how this works.

just as an experiment ( i would but i have given up on clones for now) it might be worth a look to see how something roots in the dark. or if true dark kills them, an hour of light then 2 hours and so on.

this document is the last education ive been reading and it holds some pleasant nuggets of info on most aspects of our plant if you care to read.
i know you know more, but i bet even you might find a few things to consider =)

Marijuana Botany

mr nice is ms. lovely

i love the beautiful contrast between the super dark green leaves and the pure as snow pistils. it makes me think it can offer the pleasure of a beautiful virgin who grew up only reading the karma sutra :rofl:

now thats a thought:)

Wow... I just did the math on the Home Made DM ZONE. Corey, you're the best, man.

1qt of DMZONE here costs from 20-30 dollars.

453.592g/15.41g=28.266Gal
28.266Gal*4=113.067Qt.
113.067Qt.*$25=$2826

$2826-$23(cost of materials incl. shipping)=$2803 SAVED TOTAL

Thank you very much, Corey. You're a wallet saver. Is there any wonder why I will always remain a loyal BPN Customer? Basically, for about the cost of one Qt. I can make 28.266Gal, that would cost me $2826.00 if I were to buy those gallons at the store.

Back
Top Bottom