Jandre2k3's Cardboard Flowerbox - 41 Week Perpetual SOG Part2

Re: Jandre2k3's Cardboard Flowerbox - 41 Week Perpetual SOG Part2 - Blue Planet Nutri

So I had a forehead slapping moment tonight.

See if you can spot it.

Evidently, the reveg went VERY well for this little plant, because it showed nothing of it before I put into flower. He's back in Veg now. This is the Original Male from the first seeds sprouted...Saved for the 4th run of breeding as a back cross.

Re: Jandre2k3's Cardboard Flowerbox - 41 Week Perpetual SOG Part2 - Blue Planet Nutri

That was a question I had when cross breeding. Do you have to do a back cross after the first breeding to make it 100% cross strain?

Back-crossing is but one way to help in the selective breeding to stabilize a strain.

• I do an initial cross first to get the new crosses going.
  • I then do a self cross within that F1 generation.
  • Then I selectively breed F2 from here for the traits I want, and those are passed to F3, because the F1 will show very little variation at all.
  • Then I back cross F3 to S1

Those seeds from the F3/S1 back cross usually show only small variations. Then, if I like what's been achieved, I square again to stabilize. So, in essence I do a double square in order to get an actual strain that I feel confident enough to grow out as a product. Minimum 2 years to stabilize.

In other words, you can't just cross two strains, get seeds and call that a strain... it's not... it's a cross, and any seeds gotten from the second generation of that cross could show wild variations, resulting in different plants looking nothing like each other within that same generation.

This is something to look for when on the seed bank websites... if it has a plant name with F1 after it... it's a cross, not a strain.

So 4 initial crossing. Forgive my ignorance here but what is S1 stand for? Thats where I get confused. I just googled this whole topic and start reading everything I could find. But I couldnt find anything good about S1. As in the definition. Im lost when it comes to where did the S1 come in at? Like I get you take 2 F2 to make F3 but then, theres the S1??????

Google said its some way of making all fem seeds by having the female pollinating its self?
Ill be reading all day and night trying to learn this stuff.

Ok scratch all the above. I figured it out now. I had a 30 minute slow moment. That is sick knowing ill be able to do this. Thanks a million on this one. +++++++reps coming. Very helpful indeed. Ill continue reading on this topic.

F0: The parents selected to start a breeding program. Often referred to as P1 and P2, but this is incorrect.

F1: the first cross between two unrelated parents. The F stands for filial, and refers to the fact that all F1 progeny of the same cross are full brothers and sisters to one another.

S1: The first selfed generation. Selfing an S1 produces an S2, etc. Anecdotal evidence from Sam_Skunkman indicates that continued selfing to the S3 and S4 produces plants so weak that they must be handled very carefully, “like kittens” in his words.

R1's (aka Reversed F1's): When feminized pollen is used to pollinate a different female than the pollen donor. R1's will tend to act like a tradional male x female cross, only all female, while S1's appear to have some different properties that are not yet fully understood. Early reports indicate that S1's are more consistent than R1's on average, but there are many exceptions, and more research is needed.

BC1: The first backcross generation, ie when an F1 or R1 progeny is crossed back to an F0 parent. Backcrossing can increase the influence of either parent, but continued backcrossing is too much inbreeding, according to both DJ Short and Rezdog, and should be used rarely if at all. One or two backcrosses followed by full-sib mating has beena successful strategy for many breeders, including the creator of Northern Lights.

So breeding goes like this:
F0(mother)+F0(father)=F1
F1+F1(same plant self pollinated)=S1
S1+S1(same plant self pollinated)=S2=weaker plant
F1+F1(different plants)=R1
S1+F0=BC1

These terms can be combined for shortand pedigrees. A second backross, followed by three generations of sib-mating, may be represented as a BC2-F3 generation.

Clear as mud?

F0: The parents selected to start a breeding program. Often referred to as P1 and P2, but this is incorrect.

F1: the first cross between two unrelated parents. The F stands for filial, and refers to the fact that all F1 progeny of the same cross are full brothers and sisters to one another.

S1: The first selfed generation. Selfing an S1 produces an S2, etc. Anecdotal evidence from Sam_Skunkman indicates that continued selfing to the S3 and S4 produces plants so weak that they must be handled very carefully, “like kittens” in his words.

R1's (aka Reversed F1's): When feminized pollen is used to pollinate a different female than the pollen donor. R1's will tend to act like a tradional male x female cross, only all female, while S1's appear to have some different properties that are not yet fully understood. Early reports indicate that S1's are more consistent than R1's on average, but there are many exceptions, and more research is needed.

BC1: The first backcross generation, ie when an F1 or R1 progeny is crossed back to an F0 parent. Backcrossing can increase the influence of either parent, but continued backcrossing is too much inbreeding, according to both DJ Short and Rezdog, and should be used rarely if at all. One or two backcrosses followed by full-sib mating has beena successful strategy for many breeders, including the creator of Northern Lights.

So breeding goes like this:
F0(mother)+F0(father)=F1
F1+F1(same plant self pollinated)=S1
S1+S1(same plant self pollinated)=S2=weaker plant
F1+F1(different plants)=R1
S1+F0=BC1

These terms can be combined for shortand pedigrees. A second backross, followed by three generations of sib-mating, may be represented as a BC2-F3 generation.

Clear as mud?
Blogged, WOW jandre the things you teach me :adore: +reps

Oh, man! I'm getting excited again! Those Purple Mr. Nice.... well, the one that's in the box, is starting to get frosty already. We'll see how things are looking when the lights come back on... I was about to take some pics, but the light flipped off, and now I gotta wait.

Edit: That reminds me... I need to adjust my clocks for DST End.

FALL BACK EVERYONE!! FALL BACK!

Hey guys, thanks for the encouragement, and the rep. It really means a lot to me to know that you guys really do like what I'm doing over here. I'm kinda down right now, and you guys are giving me a good vibe. So, Thanks for that.

that some great info mate, let me see if it lets me rep you, ive wrote all that info down so i can work it all out when i come to crossing my plants,
it let me reps you mate

Jandre

When I am down I think of the ladies... the green ones. I close my eyes and tour through them and think of how each needs what. They always cheer me up!!! I do hope you climb out and join us ... it is more fun! :clown:

yeah what Buckshot said

Alrighty!!

Here are at the end of Week Three, beginning of Week Four for Side B. I will be performing light defoliation later on this week to open up the canopy. You'll see why here in a few.

Purple Mr. Nice is really getting frosty now. I'm loving how this is turning out.

Times:

Side A:
12.8 days tracking Jandre Kush - Jandre
12.8 days tracking Purple Mr Nice Clone - P. MrN
12.8 days tracking Purple Mr Nice Clone - P. MrN

Side B:
22.8 days tracking Jandre Kush Clone - Jandre
22.8 days tracking Purple Mr Nice Clone - P. MrN

And now for the moment you've all been waiting for:

PICS!

As usual, click the individual images for full size.

Look at all that beautiful sugar on the tops of those Purple Mr. Nice nugs!!

Okay, I'm done, now.

Back
Top Bottom