Kali grow

Re: LabRat420's little Kali grow.

Aloha LabRat, sorry it took me so long to get here, but now I am and am subscribed.
I don't really have any experience with potassium def., but looks like you made a good diagnosis. I guess my only advise is give them some nutes with a good K ratio, but give it in a pretty light dose. In my mind, you don't push something that isn't feeling 100% , but give 'em what they need in ever increasing dosages until they feel better. I know that is kinda some bland advise, but its all I got right now. Anyways, Bill doesn't look bad even with the spots, and I'm sure it's gonna do great.
:peace: and Pakaloha!
HD

They're getting their flush and feeding today if I can ever get off this bloody computer. lol

:peace:

Well I finally got the nute experiment on the way. Bill is growing faster than Sally even with the leaf problems. Bill is 5" tall at the cut stem and Sally is still only 4". The affected areas on the leaves dont't seem to be spreading so maybe the seaweed spray helped. Those areas are becoming necrotic but the rest of the leaf seems fine. I'm pretty sure it's K deficient. They are both getting a heavy feed of fresh nutes so nute burn should be my biggest worry now.

KaliStartFeb1310_02.jpg

KaliStartFeb1310_03.jpg

Does this look like a female pre-flower on Bill? I think maybe so.
KaliStartFeb1310_01.jpg

All the necessary gear gathered for the first separate feedings.
KaliNutesFeb1310_01.jpg

A close up of the stuff I use for fairly accurate measurements.
KaliNutesFeb1310_02.jpg

Accurate as hell plastic pH strips from my hazardous waste days.
KaliNutesFeb1310_03.jpg

I took notes so I can explain exactly what I did. I sat the babies on that tray and poured a couple of cups of distilled water through each and let them drain. Then I mixed 2cc of Pro-silicate, 1/2 tsp Epsom salts and a tsp of 3% food grade peroxide into a 1/2 gal or 2 litres of distilled water and pHed down to 6.5. Then I split that equally into another pop bottle the same size and green colour. PPM at this point is 300. pH 6.5

For the hydro mix I used the AN 3 part nutes. I was aiming to the heavy side as I've always heard that you should feed soil-less mix plants at twice the PPM as you would in a hydro system. We'll see.

3 cc Micro and 3 of Grow
1 1/2 cc Bloom
1/2 cc thrive

Gave me 1450 PPM at ph 5.6. 1150 PPM after deducting the silica and MgSO4.

Looks good to me.

For the organic nutes I used Earth Juice 3 part nutes and a little seaweed fertilizer. I mixed it according to the "Strong" levels on the bottle.

1 1/2 tsp. of Catalyst
2 tsp Grow
1 tsp Bloom
1/2 cc thrive

Gave me 1530 PPM minus the 300 original, 1230 PPM at 4.0 pH.

Holy crap! What's with that? I used a 1/2 tsp of baking soda and it was stable an hour later at 6.7. Good for organic nutes.

I didn't expect the pH to go so acidic with organic nutes. I almost didn't bother to check it. They are 6 years old or so but have always been stored in the cool basement in the dark and never frozen. If Bill starts doing worse I may abort and flush him and feed medium hydro nutes. He's growing strong and I don't want to sacrifice him for a little fun.

They're under the light so we should know somethig in a couple of days.

C'ya all L8r.

Hey LabRat,

I just love dropping by, you have such cool stuff man, I appreciate quality and the sense of well use. :ganjamon: (And the extra cool stuff like the sensitive ph strips)

Oh and yeah my organic's are always at 5 or below when I mix my nutes, I just automatically put in my hydrated lime/epson salt mix (side benefit of being cal/mag after it reacts to bring mixture up in ph) to raise the ph before I even check. I know how strong it is approximately so is vaguely easy, I go over by .5 alot on that first guess though, getting cocky I guess lol. I have a gigantic bottle of ph down that will never get empty unless it melts through the bottle....man I was dumb when I started growing, ok maybe that hasn't changed but I know a little more :ganjamon:.

My organic's have a shelf life of a year and half. So not sure about those.

I wish I could help you with diagnosing that problem, but only thing I would say was ph or overnute causing lockouts if I made a newbie guess. What is your runoff ph versus what you put in?

And it sure looks like a female pre-flower. :yahoo:

:peace: brother.

Hey LR420...

Jus breezing thru. Brilliant entertainment as usual. I'm really starting to doubt whether chemistry or horticulture is really your thing, cause to me comedy is your calling dude ;)
I'm with PropaG your kali's should grow outta the spots.
All in all we're comin along bro :nomo:

Hey Dro! How's it hanging bro? +Rep for dropping by!

I'm not too worried about it. The spots don't seem to be progressing. It could have been a bit of nute burn that he ate his way past. He's growing real good otherwise. If it was a deficiency this heavy feeding should fix it or F it good! lol

C'ya L8r.

Those spots are uuu gly, but Bill'll grow out of it.

I thought they looked Fugly myself but each to their own I guess. :rofl:

Thanks for sticking your nose in. +Rep for being so patient waiting for a reply. :bong:

C'ya

Hey LabRat,

I just love dropping by, you have such cool stuff man, I appreciate quality and the sense of well use. :ganjamon: (And the extra cool stuff like the sensitive ph strips)

Oh and yeah my organic's are always at 5 or below when I mix my nutes, I just automatically put in my hydrated lime/epson salt mix (side benefit of being cal/mag after it reacts to bring mixture up in ph) to raise the ph before I even check. I know how strong it is approximately so is vaguely easy, I go over by .5 alot on that first guess though, getting cocky I guess lol. I have a gigantic bottle of ph down that will never get empty unless it melts through the bottle....man I was dumb when I started growing, ok maybe that hasn't changed but I know a little more :ganjamon:.

My organic's have a shelf life of a year and half. So not sure about those.

I wish I could help you with diagnosing that problem, but only thing I would say was ph or overnute causing lockouts if I made a newbie guess. What is your runoff ph versus what you put in?

And it sure looks like a female pre-flower. :yahoo:

:peace: brother.

Thanks MH. I still find stuff around here that I forgot I had. Damned MadCow! lol

I think the problem will be resolved with this feeding tho I am a little apprehensive about the organic nutes. I'll check the run-off tomorrow after it's sat in there for a while. Or I can poke a hole in the side of the pot with my trusty Swiss army knife and slip one of those test strips in. They're like 18 years old and still showed 7.0 when I dipped one in calibration sol'n.

I can't believe I still can't rep you yet. I've been handing them out like penny candies so you should be due any time now! :Rasta:

C'ya

Just a quick update on the babies.

No signs of any distress from either plant. In fact they look happy as pigs in sh**! They were a little bummed today as the sun only came out for a couple of hours so they couldn't hang at the beach.

Good news! I'm pretty sure that Sally's head is taking root. The leaves were all laying flat but today are standing up and looking perky! I never used any rooting gel even tho I have a brand new jar. I did make sure to keep the soil wet around her. Easy cloner, I hope she's a she.

KaliBabiesFeb1410_MiniMe.jpg

Once little Mini Me starts showing new growth I'll scoop her out of there and put her in her own pot. I'll have to flower one of them but will wait to see how Mini Me does.

C'ya

dude maybe im hungry but your soil looks like brownies covered in pecans and macadamia nuts... im sooooo serious, when i first looked at the pic, im like why the eff did he stick the top in a brownie.... im gonna go lay my dumb ass down lol

dude maybe im hungry but your soil looks like brownies covered in pecans and macadamia nuts... im sooooo serious, when i first looked at the pic, im like why the eff did he stick the top in a brownie.... im gonna go lay my dumb ass down lol

LoL! I gotta try some of whatever it is you're smokin' dude! I can't recall ever getting the munchies bad
enough to wanna dine on dirt. If you think that dirt is appetizing wait 'til you see what comes out of it in a few months. :bong:

C'ya L8r buddy.

:yahoo::laughtwo::rofl::rofl: You made me laugh out loud and put a big smile on my face.

:peace: :grinjoint:

That looks like a male sac, but dunno, it can just pop a side branch. Wouldnt be the first time. Tell me about the rep 'n sitch. I've been trying to rep you for a while now. Anyways I owe you..lol

I think you're right about that sac buddy. I was having a good look at it tonight and it's lookin' like a ball to me. Now I'm crossing all my fingers and toes hoping Sally is a Sally and not a Sal! lol

There is a thread/sticky around here somewhere but I couldn't find it. You have to rep something like 20 people before you can rep the same person again. I had no idea about them for the first few months. The site I came here from didn't have them or I didn't notice. You could go have a look, it's called ******** *******.

Damn that censor-bot all to blazes! :rofl:

L8r

LoL! I gotta try some of whatever it is you're smokin' dude! I can't recall ever getting the munchies bad
enough to wanna dine on dirt. If you think that dirt is appetizing wait 'til you see what comes out of it in a few months. :bong:

C'ya L8r buddy.

Give a new meaning to the idea of "pot" brownies...

Back
Top Bottom