In The Lab

Hi Doc and gang,

I'm am currently working on improving one of my weaknesses....caring for and growing the plants while they're in the one gallon containers. So I figure I would start at the beginning of this journal and review Docs techniques a-z. I see the monsters You (Doc) grow in the one gallon containers on IG and am amazed at the size and health of them.

I have a project coming up with a regular run of C99 seeds and the limited release Cindy Haze reg seeds, and will need to brush up on my 1 gallon plant care.

Is it still proper to dust clone transplants with Roots powder, and water with the TP Drench (1oz to 1 Gallon of RO H2o) st 1 pint to each clone? As outlined above?

I usually start off good in 1 gallon pots, but after 3-4 weeks things go down hill, so I usually then move to bigger pots, and a week later I'm back in business. The more the soil the more forgiving it is. But that's no excuse for me to not identify my issue, so I'm studying Doc's early instructions to pick up things I missed.

With the formulas changing, I'm not sure if these early instructions are still advised. I've read in past posts from some to NOT to use TP when doing a transplant...something about Roots! being reformulated.

Thanks for the help
DL

Yep, you can just use water for this now....or a weak Transplant solution....but water is fine. The rest is exactly what I do.

I have found if "bare root" planting a clone, it is better not to use the Roots! If the clone roots are protected by soil or a plug, Roots!, Roots!, Roots!

Interesting... what were the symptoms you observed using the Roots powder on bare rooted clones?

Thanks

Interesting... what were the symptoms you observed using the Roots powder on bare rooted clones?

Thanks

Out of my last 15-20 clones, I have had 3 failures. They were decent little clones with 3-5 1"+ roots started in a splash cloner that I would expect to thrive.

The dozen or so that I placed into moist soil did fine.
Incorrect!The 3 where I sprinkled the hole with Roots! all shriveled and died within 5 days. EDIT
When I sprinkled Roots! directly on young roots they died.
When I sprinkled a small amount of Roots! in the hole, like thise one, they did fine.
Borderliner and Carnival clones were put into Roots! sprinkled soil in 1-gal and 3-quart pots.

20170601_205917-1.jpg

When I let the roots get 3-5" long in the cloner the roots turn thin and brown, these roots do OK with the Roots! powder.
The short, white, new roots seem to dry out dry out or get eaten.

I've had a few rot-eaten before roots grew..maybe due to the age and location of clone taken. :hmmmm:

When I take small clones, I grow roots in the clone bucket before putting them in soil. My failure from age (flowering) and such happen in the bucket.

If I take a 6" or taller clone I do direct in soil and take my chances.

Out of my last 15-20 clones, I have had 3 failures. They were decent little clones with 3-5 1"+ roots started in a splash cloner that I would expect to thrive.

The dozen or so that I placed into moist soil did fine.
The 3 where I sprinkled the hole with Roots! all shriveled and died within 5 days.

When I let the roots get 3-5" long in the cloner the roots turn thin and brown, these roots do OK with the Roots! powder.
The short, white, new roots seem to dry out dry out or get eaten.

When I take small clones, I grow roots in the clone bucket before putting them in soil. My failure from age (flowering) and such happen in the bucket.

If I take a 6" or taller clone I do direct in soil and take my chances.

Thanks for the info. I clone the same, in an aerocloner, and also sprinkle Roots powder on the bare roots, and in the hole where I plant. I do water right after I plant the clone, so maybe that's why I don't lose the clones. Idk .
420-magazine-mobile656128951.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1394931058.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1116937206.jpg

Thanks for the info. I clone the same, in an aerocloner, and also sprinkle Roots powder on the bare roots, and in the hole where I plant. I do water right after I plant the clone, so maybe that's why I don't lose the clones. Idk .
420-magazine-mobile656128951.jpg

Good for you. I normally plant with a lot less roots. I'm very glad it works for you.

I went back and double checked. When used correctly (sprinkling on the soil), I had no problems. The clones mentioned below are now in flower.

[quote fron June 2]Borderliner and Carnival clones were put into Roots! sprinkled soil in 1-gal and 3-quart pots.

20170601_205917-1.jpg
[/quote]

My problems seemed to happen when I sprinkled Roots! powder right on baby roots held over the planting hole. I do this when I transplant from 1 gallon into 7 gallon with no problem, but I am now no longer sprinkling Roots! powder directly on plant roots.

I am sorry for the confusion - memory, especially my memory, is a tricky thing.

My problems seemed to happen when I sprinkled Roots! powder right on baby roots held over the planting hole. I do this when I transplant from 1 gallon into 7 gallon with no problem, but I am now no longer sprinkling Roots! powder directly on plant roots.

I am sorry for the confusion - memory, especially my memory, is a tricky thing.

Yep. If you put them directly on the roots it can cause some trouble, especially with the young, white water roots. I always let my clones grow a nice long tail of roots, then trim them and let them grow back a bit before I transplant.

The difference between good and great can be as simple as superb transition from clone to veg plant and from a stress free transplant. You simply can't afford to miss a week of production in bloom.

So, if we follow directions with the kit, IE dust soil with roots! and avoid rolling the roots in Roots! the gear works as advertised.

I'm glad your experience is typical.

How are you and your crew liking the smoke?

Good for you. I normally plant with a lot less roots. I'm very glad it works for you.

I went back and double checked. When used correctly (sprinkling on the soil), I had no problems. The clones mentioned below are now in flower.

[quote fron June 2]Borderliner and Carnival clones were put into Roots! sprinkled soil in 1-gal and 3-quart pots.

20170601_205917-1.jpg

I am sorry for the confusion - memory, especially my memory, is a tricky thing.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing, I'm gonna pay attention to dusting only the soil when transplanting bare root clones next time. So easy to miss important details.

Yep. If you put them directly on the roots it can cause some trouble, especially with the young, white water roots. I always let my clones grow a nice long tail of roots, then trim them and let them grow back a bit before I transplant.

The difference between good and great can be as simple as superb transition from clone to veg plant and from a stress free transplant. You simply can't afford to miss a week of production in bloom.

So, if we follow directions with the kit, IE dust soil with roots! and avoid rolling the roots in Roots! the gear works as advertised.

Thanks for clearing this up for me too! This may be part of the stall I see after transplanting. The little details...always biting at my ankles.

I don't think I've really hit my stride with the kit. The buds are tasty, but my first grow was Bio-bizz "organic" out a bottle, followed by Clackmus coot soil plus teas and water, and I've always washed my bud, so the family expects a sweet tasting crop.

The big difference is to me, the grower. The plants are healthier, the harvests are more reliable and larger. When something goes a bit off now, it's always environmental (Lights/temp/humidity/water.)

Oh, and I am growing more sativa strains instead of hybrids - so whatever improvement their might be from the kit gets credited to growing better strains.

Now how do I like the Doc Bud nutrition system? I love it, because I keep lots more nice green leaves until the last couple of weeks of flower, I am getting larger and more potent harvests, and I just don't have to worry. I don't have to know what the leaves might be telling me about lockout, lack of nutrients, or nute burn because the plants are always, always happy.

I like what you said about trimming and growing long roots. In the past I've kept some of my clones in the cloner for 30-40 days until I had a slot to grow available, but I've had so many male seedlings lately, my veg area always seems to be needing another clone.

Anyway, thanks for not sending the farmers in torches after me for complaining about Roots! powder.

I'd be happier with the smoke if it got to cure. It's like teenagers and food, the buds just seem to disappear overnight :)

Interesting article
"Gardeners Tackle First Recreational Marijuana Season"
Re-Direct to 420 Forum Article
Gardeners Tackle First Recreational Marijuana Season

QUOTE:
“I’m a little disappointed. I thought it was going to be a little easier,” Cambridge resident Mary Beth DeGray said. She added, “It really takes a while to get a product that’s smokable.”

Growers have to contend with the medicinal weed’s picky requirements for ph levels, soil nutrients, light, and watering – not too much, not too little – as well as pests like spider mites, and concerns over the plant’s gender (you want females only).
END QUOTE:

MAYBE They should look into this thread :thumb:

Interesting article

QUOTE:
“I’m a little disappointed. I thought it was going to be a little easier,” Cambridge resident Mary Beth DeGray said. She added, “It really takes a while to get a product that’s smokable.”

Growers have to contend with the medicinal weed’s picky requirements for ph levels, soil nutrients, light, and watering – not too much, not too little – as well as pests like spider mites, and concerns over the plant’s gender (you want females only).
END QUOTE:

I read that as well and thought the same thing.

Interesting article

QUOTE:

END QUOTE:

I read that as well and thought the same thing.

If everything goes according to plan, they're gonna read this thread and others just like it.

DocBud's High Brix Blend is for the individual who wants to get elite cannabis from a personal grow space. Of course, it also works in a commercial grow....but when you're paying a massive electric bill and you want to squeeze the most 'yield' per square foot you can possibly get.....not to mention not wanting to deal with a lot of soil....hydro is just far too attractive.

But with DBHBB, elite level growing is doable in a spare bedroom.....and it's only going to get better.

No flushing needed. Some say to finish with a GE drench.

Great morning to ya's OG , Beamer , Doc and friends. Beamer is most correct OG,..no flushing is required using this system/method!
Finishing with a GE Drench is something we do to help sweeten the harvest slightly,... as apposed to a Transplant Drench which would retain the/a gamey taste! Cheers and have a great Monday everyone!

Back
Top Bottom