The Living Medicine Cabinet

I hope you fellas don't mind me adding to the discussion on how wind effects plants. I believe you are all correct with your ideas on wind's influence on cannabis.

The mechanism of wind blowing through leaves encourages the pneumatic phenomena of ethylene gas release which in turn seeds cation and fluid uptake. Thus, wind blowing through leaves is akin to pumping water with a hand pump. Strong wind also causes minor injury which is a good thing because when plant cells burst, they bleed primordial material which triggers parenchymal (undifferentiated cells) activity and salicyn production which thickens and strengthens branches and trunks. Very strong wind prepares plants for sudden death as the increase in fluids from pneumatic ethylene gas release, parenchymal material and growth hormones prepare a plant to clone itself incase it gets uprooted before it is able to make seed.

When we clone our cannabis, we are introducing a sort of sudden death natural cloning response because the wound we create is trying to build parenchymal material. Addition of appropriate plant hormones help the parenchymal callus develop a new root system.

The stunted growth from too much injury is the same mechanism bonsai enthusiasts incorporate to turn sapplings into tiny trees rather than large trees. Constant cow pruning doesn't so much stunt growth in as much as it keeps plants in juvenile mode. In maples, leaves will remain small while in juvenile growth mode. In cannabis, new leaves tend to remain small and juvenile with 1 or 3 lobes rather than massive 5+ lobed fan leaves.

You can keep a clone in juvenile mode indefinitely by cow pruning to six inches in a 20/24 light cycle. And then wake the clone when you are ready to flower it out. It will still mostly produce 3 lobed leaves with a few large fan leaves. But it will also produce many fat buds like this:
bbharvestday1.png

16 Inch Blue Blood Bonsai Bush On Harvest Day​

Cow pruning is the term I use for when a cow or deer creates its own bonsai by constant nomming of a sappling down to a few inches. Over time, that sappling grows a fat trunk and becomes a miniature bonsai treasure.

PS:
My mind is a little foggy today which means my writing maybe littered with murdered grammar, nerdiness and weird spelling. Hugs and sorry if I confuse anyone.
:Namaste:

I hope you fellas don't mind me adding to the discussion on how wind effects plants. I believe you are all correct with your ideas on wind's influence on cannabis.

Nice contribution! What other plant is growing with that Blue Blood?

Above soil:
Allium fistulum (welch bunching green onions)

Rhizosphere:
Glomus mycorrhizal fungi

Cannabis + allium + glomus creates an allelopathic triad that is benefitial for all three flora. It also tames the scent of the terpenes but not the potency of the cannabinoids.

I wrote a little bit about this triad in the eye candy thread here: Come on folks let's see some eye candy! Here's some for ya

Above soil:
Allium fistulum (welch bunching green onions)

Rhizosphere:
Glomus mycorrhizal fungi

Cannabis + allium + glomus creates an allelopathic triad that is benefitial for all three flora. It also tames the scent of the terpenes but not the potency of the cannabinoids.

I wrote a little bit about this triad in the eye candy thread here: Come on folks let's see some eye candy! Here's some for ya

I plan to jump over to your thread in the morning. :) thanks for sharing.

If you want you can expand on that. I'd love to keep record of anything anyone feels they are willing to add. This is journal is a net for relevant information. At least that's what I'm aiming for.

WP_20150721_23_47_36_Pro.jpg

Well. I met some strange but good people today. Imbibed a few good cold drinks despite this hot summer. Got some stuff I am told is some sort of Chem cross. Supposedly. Who knows though. Smells a bit sweet cheesy. Kind of a good rancid smell. :)

So here's to burning the midnight oil. Now to get some sleep. Amen. Hail Satan. Bonsoir.

Feast once more on my humble grow!

Still not much going on. Though, on both plants the cotyledon is dying off. I think they are both about ready to enter the next stage of growth at some point soon. I have to admit that i gave both seedlings a little tug to see how established they had become. The c'99 stood to the challenge, but Afgooey gave a little bit. Little mis-handlings like that make me paranoid. Only time will tell, I suppose.

WP_20150723_20_10_19_Pro.jpg

WP_20150723_20_10_52_Pro.jpg

I put some warm water out to raise the RH. Not expecting much, but the fan is on right above it so I could get some good dispersion.

WP_20150723_20_17_14_Pro.jpg

The mechanism of wind blowing through leaves encourages the pneumatic phenomena of ethylene gas release which in turn seeds cation and fluid uptake. Thus, wind blowing through leaves is akin to pumping water with a hand pump. Strong wind also causes minor injury which is a good thing because when plant cells burst, they bleed primordial material which triggers parenchymal (undifferentiated cells) activity and salicyn production which thickens and strengthens branches and trunks. Very strong wind prepares plants for sudden death as the increase in fluids from pneumatic ethylene gas release, parenchymal material and growth hormones prepare a plant to clone itself incase it gets uprooted before it is able to make seed.

When we clone our cannabis, we are introducing a sort of sudden death natural cloning response because the wound we create is trying to build parenchymal material. Addition of appropriate plant hormones help the parenchymal callus develop a new root system.

The stunted growth from too much injury is the same mechanism bonsai enthusiasts incorporate to turn sapplings into tiny trees rather than large trees. Constant cow pruning doesn't so much stunt growth in as much as it keeps plants in juvenile mode. In maples, leaves will remain small while in juvenile growth mode. In cannabis, new leaves tend to remain small and juvenile with 1 or 3 lobes rather than massive 5+ lobed fan leaves.

You can keep a clone in juvenile mode indefinitely by cow pruning to six inches in a 20/24 light cycle. And then wake the clone when you are ready to flower it out. It will still mostly produce 3 lobed leaves with a few large fan leaves. But it will also produce many fat buds like this:
bbharvestday1.png

16 Inch Blue Blood Bonsai Bush On Harvest Day​

Cow pruning is the term I use for when a cow or deer creates its own bonsai by constant nomming of a sappling down to a few inches. Over time, that sappling grows a fat trunk and becomes a miniature bonsai treasure.

PS:
My mind is a little foggy today which means my writing maybe littered with murdered grammar, nerdiness and weird spelling. Hugs and sorry if I confuse anyone.

Well, this was an example of a whole lot of relevant information. I'm rethinking the fans in my grow spaces. And bonsai cannabis. I already went with tiny pots. :hmmmm:

Reps and blogged for future reference Cannabelle. That's twice you've tempted me with bonsai.

Hey yall. Its been a few days. I was visiting a friend in DC this past weekend and was away from my sweet babes.

WP_20150727_16_17_55_Pro.jpg

I came home and didn't notice much of a difference, other than being a little bigger. When I checked on them this morning I noticed that c99 had some yellowing of the longest leaves /first set of fan leaves. It looks like it might light stress? What do you all think? I dont think its a deficiency. I watered them before I left three days ago, and they certainly dont look droopy and dry. I dont think they are over watered either...

WP_20150727_16_18_49_Pro.jpg

Anyways, I am considering changing the lighting to 18/6 even though they are still seedlings. Maybe after a couples days with a light/dark
cycle C99 will look a bit better? Couldn't hurt to try.

Here's Afgoo out of the box

WP_20150727_16_20_38_Pro.jpg

Hey yall. Its been a few days. I was visiting a friend in DC this past weekend and was away from my sweet babes.

WP_20150727_16_17_55_Pro.jpg

I came home and didn't notice much of a difference, other than being a little bigger. When I checked on them this morning I noticed that c99 had some yellowing of the longest leaves /first set of fan leaves. It looks like it might light stress? What do you all think? I dont think its a deficiency. I watered them before I left three days ago, and they certainly dont look droopy and dry. I dont think they are over watered either...

WP_20150727_16_18_49_Pro.jpg

Anyways, I am considering changing the lighting to 18/6 even though they are still seedlings. Maybe after a couples days with a light/dark
cycle C99 will look a bit better? Couldn't hurt to try.

Here's Afgoo out of the box

WP_20150727_16_20_38_Pro.jpg

the c99 looks like it may have a little nute burn as i see the tips are beginning to brown. but i could be wrong im not a professional by any means. maybe its time to transplant. they do seem to be growing a bit slow imho but ive only grown autos so idk

the c99 looks like it may have a little nute burn as i see the tips are beginning to brown. but i could be wrong im not a professional by any means. maybe its time to transplant. they do seem to be growing a bit slow imho but ive only grown autos so idk

Its either nute burn or light stress, me thinks. There is a fair amount of organic material in the soil, so I wouldn't put it past being a Nitrogen over abundance...or something or other.

I think what we are seeing development wise is also partially caused by the growth patters induced by LED's. IE, much shorter node spacing. So until the plants really start to explode they will look as though they aren't gaining much ground. They are both at 4 or 5 nodes. They are just packed really tightly.

Its either nute burn or light stress, me thinks. There is a fair amount of organic material in the soil, so I wouldn't put it past being a Nitrogen over abundance...or something or other.

I think what we are seeing development wise is also partially caused by the growth patters induced by LED's. IE, much shorter node spacing. So until the plants really start to explode they will look as though they aren't gaining much ground. They are both at 4 or 5 nodes. They are just packed really tightly.

They are packed very tight. Kudos to the LED. It can't be root bound yet. I agree a little bit of nute burn. At first glance I though nitrogen deficiency. But I am not sure and at this young stage they shouldn't need much of any fertilizers. There is something going on at the edges of the leaf. I wouldn't say heat stress because the edges are not cured up. I hear LEDs are prone to causing mag deficiencies?

Maybe light stress/bleaching? I would check the run off PH and consider moving the lights up some.

:scratchinghead:

I dont have a testing kit to test run off. That's a good point about the heat stress, leaves aren't curling. I'll do a little more research and see what I can find.

Those lights cant go up any higher by the way. And I agree they cant be root bound yet....something is up with them...

Applied a mild coconut water drench. It possesses a light regiment of bennies to maybe deal with the deficiency (looks like a zinc deficiency?) and cytokines to enhance growth. We'll see if anything happens. I'm hoping this isn't a nute lock out situation. Then ill have to figure out what the hell is causing it if at all possible.

Back
Top Bottom