Magic Beans' Advanced LED Diamond Series 200w VS. 250w HPS - Lemon Skunk Flood Table

Re: Magic Beans' Advanced LED Diamond Series 200w VS. 250w HPS - Lemon Skunk Flood Ta

I keep hearing about a 'power advantage' for the HID. I thought that that was the big idea;
:idea: the LED uses less electricity!
Both sides are, and need to be power-vented. Turn the fan up a bit for HID maybe, but
no grow can be un-vented.

Where does the savings happen, replacement bulbs? Gimme a break :Namaste:

Re: Magic Beans' Advanced LED Diamond Series 200w VS. 250w HPS - Lemon Skunk Flood Ta

...no grow can be un-vented...

If there was CO2, would the grow still need to be vented? How much above ambient temperature will a 200W LED make my closet? In the summer, it might get too hot. In the winter, I doubt it. I'm going to give it a try. I don't want to cut vent holes in my closet if I don't have to.

If there was CO2, would the grow still need to be vented? How much above ambient temperature will a 200W LED make my closet? In the summer, it might get too hot. In the winter, I doubt it. I'm going to give it a try. I don't want to cut vent holes in my closet if I don't have to.
You are right, venting is not necessary. Take care to measure provided CO2, control humidity, and may your temps stay in range. Good luck

Plants require O2 (via their roots) as well as CO2 (via their leaves).

"Sealed" grows can cost more to set up and run. But it's certainly doable (although a truly sealed grow on a small scale is likely to be impossible; light, if nothing else - or else the energy to generate it - must be brought in, lol).

I ran 760W of LED in a vented box and my closet temp got to 85. CO2 went on very little to maintain 1500ppm. Air circulation in the closet is key, but no venting is necessary. The plants will generate oxygen during lights on and the environment is actually enriched in both CO2 and Oxygen at the points the lights turn out. The plants will slowly use the oxygen over the course of the night, maybe your right they could use some venting at night only.

The plants will slowly use the oxygen over the course of the night
Green plants release free oxygen, and are our atmosphere's only source - ever :love:
While some soil fauna use oxygen, green plants like cannabis have no use for it.

If released oxygen builds up a little in the closet, no harm is likely, but...
If a joint bursts into flame in there: time to vent :)

Green plants release free oxygen, and are our atmosphere's only source - ever :love:
While some soil fauna use oxygen, green plants like cannabis have no use for it.

If released oxygen builds up a little in the closet, no harm is likely, but...
If a joint bursts into flame in there: time to vent :)

Most of the oxygen in the atmosphere came from photosynthesis I will agree, but microscopic plants were the source.

That said plant do indeed respire (respire = consume sugars and oxygen and release CO2) in the dark.

~~~UPDATE~~~ RESULTS

Well after a decent cure, I weighed everything up, and took out a couple nugs to try of each. I was very surprised by the weights. The HPS actually yielded less than the LED. Now there could be many reasons to this. I am not in any way trying to say that it is not possible that the LED would beat the HPS 9/10 times, but I am thinking there is more to it than it preformed better. It could have been too far (although it was at 16" which I believe would be just perfect for a non vented HPS), there may have been more dominant tops on the LED side, etc. But in the end, the LED did beat the HPS and did yield decently for its very low wattage and for just being a singular light without any supplementation from the sides or a third off effect. Even if they were pitted together and the HPS DID win, I dont think it would be much of a difference in any case.

After analyzing the buds, I didnt notice any difference. Both were about the same density, size (using the biggest few vs the biggest few), and overall structure. Smoked exactly the same. had the same effect, for all that I can tell.

That being said, I believe it is safe to say that the Advanced LED DS are definitely capable of raplacing HPS lights, at least on a small scale. A larger test would have to be done to see results from a heavily lighted grow with more third off from larger, more intense HID bulbs.

Here are the stats:

LED: 76.1g
.39g/w
19g/ft2

HPS: 57.1g
.2g/w
14.3g/ft2

I hope everybody enjoyed the grow. I will post a link to the next grow here in a few days when its almost ready. Be sure to tune into the Pineapple Chunk grow in the sig. Thanks for everyone who watched. This grow is now complete and may be moved to the corresponding folder.

Almost twice the yield in a gram-per-watt race, but I prefer the gram-per-sq foot metric myself. It is more realistic because it is the one factor in your grow you can't change. You can add more light, you can add more nutes, you can add CO2, but your 4x4 tent isn't getting any more floor space. So for me, the yield per foot is the goal.

Great job, tried to +rep you, but I have to spread it around before it lets me rep you again.

+rep. great job Mr. MB. more than 30% less watts and still more than 30% weight. Sure it wasn't the most scientific but it does show that the LED's can hold their own!!

Thanks again for doing this.

Well done magic beans and thank you for the comparison I am sold on the led and can only see technology on the led getting better and producing even better results in the future I am now saving for an LED

+reps bro

Nice job. Glad to see these new leds putting out something comparable to HID. +Rep

Great job MB, been wanting to see this done for a while and appreciate it. Total numbers are not so important to me, just qualitative matters....thanks and REPs

Thanks for the grow. Great Comparison! I now know that the next grow light I buy will be an LED. That is for sure!!! :Namaste::high-five:

:bravo::welldone::thumb::high-five:

MB -

Great grow, and nice job giving us the rundown - definitely interesting results. Now, enjoy the fruits of your labor! :yummy:

~~~UPDATE~~~ HARVEST COMPLETE

I'm not going to say anything until I have dry weights in, couple weeks probably, but all in all a successful grow I believe. There are some nice, sticky buds on both sides. I do like the Lemon Skunk, and it is not a bad strain, but after trimming this batch I have reminded myself of one of the reasons I'm letting this one go. It's not tooooooo bad, but the bud-leaf ratio could be better. Got a lot of trim, though, for some good ol' vegetable oil, and Im going to make some lemon cake with grinded down trim leaf in the badder. should be interesting. I have the buds drying in the tent they were grown in, seeing as the clones are not yet ready to make it into the flood table.

Here are some of the harvest shots:

harvest_0016.jpg
harvest_0025.jpg
harvest_0035.jpg
harvest_0052.jpg
harvest_0044.jpg
harvest_0061.jpg
harvest_0081.jpg
harvest_0073.jpg
HPS
harvest_009.jpg
LED
harvest_010.jpg

magic, i think you are going to have some very magical lemon cake. awesome grow, whats your verdict about the leds.:bravo::morenutes::thumb:

Back
Top Bottom