Magnus8's Canna Cream, Body Butter & Canna Lotion Study Hall

What they said Magnus, I am but a humble student here :Namaste::cco::adore:

Thanks so much, anyway, CC,

I got the info I was after from other sources and it was very helpful and informative. But thanks for letting me know. I, too, am just a beginner in so many ways here, learning myself as I go along. There's so much to learn, isn't there?

Here's to learning as we go, eh? Hope you have a wonderful Saturday. Weather here in central Alberta is very nice. Hope yours is too.

:helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie:

HELP!

Okay, now that I've got your attention (I hope). I decided to adapt supergroomer's pain cream recipe for me. Here's the recipe that I used:

Ingredients:

1.3 ounces grated beeswax
10g ground decarbed Hash Plant
18 oz sweet almond oil
3 to 6 drops Wild Orange essential oil
1 tsp liquid sunflower lecithin

Instructions:

1. Add your grated beeswax and 1 cup (8 oz.) uninfused sweet almond oil to your crockpot. Stir every so often until the wax has melted.

2. In a separate crockpot, prepare your infused oil.

3. Add 10 ounces sweet almond oil to second crockpot along with the decarbed herb (Hash Plant). Stir until plant material is covered with the oil and leave it for about 2 hours, stirring every so often.

4. When infused oil is done, strain the oil using a piece of cheesecloth secured to a bowl with a rubber band.

5. Add the infused oil to the waxy oil and mix thoroughly.

6. Add the essential oil (if never done before, start small and next time you can add more if desired).

7. Stir again.

8. Pour finished product into a glass container.

NOTES:

I probably should have documented it with photos but I forgot.

These two websites helped me with the essential oil dose and measuring the beeswax:

Essential Oil Dilutions & Conversions Guide

Measuring Beeswax

And, here is supergroomer's recipe as a reminder:

Any chance you could PM me the new recipe please Supergroomer? (when you get time)

Thank you :)

PM Sent.

For the rest of you, here it is. Feel free to ask, make suggestions, anything. I want to make this the best it can be.

I infused 2c of Grape Seed Oil with 16g assorted bud. The bud was decarbed @ 230f for 110 minutes. Added to oil in pyrex dish and cooked in oven @200f for 8hrs. Strain. In double boiler I put 1c uninfused GSO. 1.3oz beeswax grated into the oil as it heats. Once all the wax is melted, add 1c infused oil and combine. Pour out into 2 8oz containers. Works so much better then the last version.

I would normally add essential oils of some type (Lavender, sandalwood etc) but the person I was making this batch for has very sensitive skin and we wanted this the be the bare bones version. :circle-of-love::peace:

Except mine isn't creamy at all. It looks like this (it was done more than 2 hours ago):

IMG_069754.JPG

Any suggestions? Was the 1.3 oz of beeswax accurate? Can I add more beeswax now and reheat? If yes, how much should I add and how much is 1.3 oz exactly (what does 1.3 oz look like?)? Is that like between 1/8 and 1/4 cup of grated beeswax or was it supposed to be weighed first although the link I posted about beeswax said that beeswax measurements are actually equal whether measuring by weight or by volume. I measured mine by volume.

:helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie:

HELP!

Okay, now that I've got your attention (I hope). I decided to adapt supergroomer's pain cream recipe for me. Here's the recipe that I used:

Ingredients:

1.3 ounces grated beeswax
10g ground decarbed Hash Plant
18 oz sweet almond oil
3 to 6 drops Wild Orange essential oil
1 tsp liquid sunflower lecithin

Instructions:

1. Add your grated beeswax and 1 cup (8 oz.) uninfused sweet almond oil to your crockpot. Stir every so often until the wax has melted.

2. In a separate crockpot, prepare your infused oil.

3. Add 10 ounces sweet almond oil to second crockpot along with the decarbed herb (Hash Plant). Stir until plant material is covered with the oil and leave it for about 2 hours, stirring every so often.

4. When infused oil is done, strain the oil using a piece of cheesecloth secured to a bowl with a rubber band.

5. Add the infused oil to the waxy oil and mix thoroughly.

6. Add the essential oil (if never done before, start small and next time you can add more if desired).

7. Stir again.

8. Pour finished product into a glass container.

NOTES:

I probably should have documented it with photos but I forgot.

These two websites helped me with the essential oil dose and measuring the beeswax:

Essential Oil Dilutions & Conversions Guide

Measuring Beeswax

And, here is supergroomer's recipe as a reminder:

Except mine isn't creamy at all. It looks like this (it was done more than 2 hours ago):

IMG_069754.JPG

Any suggestions? Was the 1.3 oz of beeswax accurate? Can I add more beeswax now and reheat? If yes, how much should I add and how much is 1.3 oz exactly (what does 1.3 oz look like?)? Is that like between 1/8 and 1/4 cup of grated beeswax or was it supposed to be weighed first although the link I posted about beeswax said that beeswax measurements are actually equal whether measuring by weight or by volume. I measured mine by volume.

Hi Hashgirl, I just made some more scrub bars today, testing the recipe...after 3 hours on the dining room table to cool they were still pretty much liquid.
I would leave a few more hours at least, or refrigerate for a while then get to room temp, to see what that fully cooled consistency will be.
As far as adding any other ratios, I'll leave that to the experts here.

:circle-of-love:

Edit: Also, one fluid ounce is equal to two U.S. Tablespoons. And: A dry ounce is equivalent to 2 tablespoons. The dry ounce is also equal to 1/8 cup and 28.3 grams. If that helps you picture that amount a bit better. :)

Thank you, Cannafan.

Well, it looks like I got the measurement of beeswax right for the most part. I guess I'll try to be patient to see if thickens at all but what if it doesn't? What should I do then? If I had a roll-on container, I could probably use it that way.

I had a really painful week and was dripping the cannaoil I made for ingesting purposes on my fingers so that's why I decided to make the cream. If worse comes to worse, I'll just use this new oil similarly. I'll just have to make sure I don't confuse it with the internal meds.

Hi Hashgirl, I just made some more scrub bars today, testing the recipe...after 3 hours on the dining room table to cool they were still pretty much liquid.
I would leave a few more hours at least, or refrigerate for a while then get to room temp, to see what that fully cooled consistency will be.
As far as adding any other ratios, I'll leave that to the experts here.

Edit: Also, one fluid ounce is equal to two U.S. Tablespoons. And: A dry ounce is equivalent to 2 tablespoons. The dry ounce is also equal to 1/8 cup and 28.3 grams. If that helps you picture that amount a bit better. :)

Thank you, Cannafan.

Well, it looks like I got the measurement of beeswax right for the most part. I guess I'll try to be patient to see if thickens at all but what if it doesn't? What should I do then? If I had a roll-on container, I could probably use it that way.

I had a really painful week and was dripping the cannaoil I made for ingesting purposes on my fingers so that's why I decided to make the cream. If worse comes to worse, I'll just use this new oil similarly. I'll just have to make sure I don't confuse it with the internal meds.

There is so much versatility in this, depending on how thick or thin it comes out if you don't want to adjust that particular batch. If it comes out too hard, you can always form it into a roll or square and use it as a body stick that you just rub on.

:thumb:

Roll on again.
This morning I stirred and scraped the residue and alcohol in the small beaker. Then I reheated it, filtered it and then reduced it down. There was probably 0.1g of oil that is probably mostly grape seed. Just in case it is THC, I will try it first thing tomorrow.

The red residue that was so hard to scrape off the glass turns out to be very water soluble. It just wiped clean with warm water.
The hard stuff was crush-able and porous. I did not think to try dissolving in water, though I doubt it would.

I have dissolved rosin in coconut oil and a small amount of lecithin and had no problems. This batch with grape seed was nearly impossible.

There was one thing I did that would not be normal when I pressed the buds. They were some frosty popcorn that I pressed just after cutting. I thought it worked rather well. I balled up a few buds for each press and let the water steam out of the parchment paper before I applied full pressure
The extra water in the plant could have extracted more than the oil.

Magnus, I did some reading on the pros and cons of liquid olive oil/MCT/Medium Chain Triglycerides/fatty acids. With MCT the C12 — Lauric Acid is removed. Would MCT be a sutable subistute for grape seed oil as a topical?

I got what little I know from here MCT Oil vs. Coconut Oil: The Truth Exposed If the link gets pulled try a search for MCT vs. coconut oil.

Best

DSCN17647.JPG

This was the hard stuff.
DSCN176511.JPG

This is wiped out with warm water.
DSCN176612.JPG

Thank you, Cannafan.

Hi HashGirl,

Sorry I wasn't available to help earlier (don't know what time you originally posted) but I was busy with editing all day.

If the consistency is too thin, I would add more beeswax.

Usually, it is best to keep your beeswax between 4% - 8% of your total tally of ingredients, but desperate situations call for desperate measures. You will not destroy your formulation by adding more beeswax, let me say that up front and centre. You MAY make it a bit more waxy than you might like and it might have a more difficult time passing the skin barrier as a result. But that's all theory, you know. If the consistency is thin and creamy enough, then I'm sure you'll have no problem.

Also, let me say up front that you will not destroy your concoction by heating and cooling and repeating again. And again, for that matter. (You cannot reheat a LOTION, but there is no problem with reheating a CREAM -- which is what you are trying to make).

So, take the total amount of your concoction in grams if you can (grams are more accurate). If you cannot use grams, then use ounces, but like I said, they are just not as accurate. So. Take the total amount in weight (in grams if you can) and then determine exactly how much you put in already of your beeswax. If it is between 5% - 8%, then we're going to have to increase that number. If it hasn't yet reached 8%, then figure out how much more you would need to add to reach up to that amount. Then take your concoction, heat it up slowly, and add the remaining amount of beeswax to reach 8%.

IF YOU HAVE ALREADY REACHED 8% OF YOUR TOTAL AMOUNT OF INGREDIENTS IN WEIGHT, then we're going to up that amount in increments. This may take a day or so, so you're in for the long haul here. But better than than adding too much beeswax, thereby making it very hard to use.

So, if you've reached 8% already, then figure out the amount you would need to add another 4%, thereby bringing it up to a total ingredient weight of 12% of your total concoction. Melt this extra amount into your concoction. Let it cool. Check your consistency. If it is still very, very liquid, add another 4%. And so on.

At some point you will begin to reach a better consistency. Then it will be up to you whether to add another 4% or to cut the extra amount to add by 1/2 and add only an additional 2% to your concoction.

Like Cannafan said, let it cool to room temperature each time you use it.

You can cut your wait time between heatings and coolings by a lot if you take a small amount and set it in the freezer to cool ahead of the rest of it. Once it is cool coming out of the freezer, check its consistency and go from there. If the consistency is fine, then you're good to go. If it's still very liquid, then toss the whole recipe back into the crock pot and keep going.

I hope this helps you. A lot. I'm sorry this has happened. I'm not sure exactly what happened unless your measurements are off. Everything, and I mean all your ingredients, should be measured by weight when working with creams and lotions and NOT by volume. Volumetric measurements just don't work when you're working with creams and lotions. I think that might be your problem today.

Looking forward to hearing how you fare.

:thanks: Magnus! This is GREAT info and exactly what I need to know. Unfortunately, I'm high now and reading and understanding isn't very good right now but that's okay now that I think you wrote that I could add more beeswax and just reheat and cool again. I'm going to blog it to read tomorrow.

​Thank You!

Hi HashGirl,

Sorry I wasn't available to help earlier (don't know what time you originally posted) but I was busy with editing all day.

If the consistency is too thin, I would add more beeswax.

Usually, it is best to keep your beeswax between 4% - 8% of your total tally of ingredients, but desperate situations call for desperate measures. You will not destroy your formulation by adding more beeswax, let me say that up front and centre. You MAY make it a bit more waxy than you might like and it might have a more difficult time passing the skin barrier as a result. But that's all theory, you know. If the consistency is thin and creamy enough, then I'm sure you'll have no problem.

Also, let me say up front that you will not destroy your concoction by heating and cooling and repeating again. And again, for that matter. (You cannot reheat a LOTION, but there is no problem with reheating a CREAM -- which is what you are trying to make).

So, take the total amount of your concoction in grams if you can (grams are more accurate). If you cannot use grams, then use ounces, but like I said, they are just not as accurate. So. Take the total amount in weight (in grams if you can) and then determine exactly how much you put in already of your beeswax. If it is between 5% - 8%, then we're going to have to increase that number. If it hasn't yet reached 8%, then figure out how much more you would need to add to reach up to that amount. Then take your concoction, heat it up slowly, and add the remaining amount of beeswax to reach 8%.

IF YOU HAVE ALREADY REACHED 8% OF YOUR TOTAL AMOUNT OF INGREDIENTS IN WEIGHT, then we're going to up that amount in increments. This may take a day or so, so you're in for the long haul here. But better than than adding too much beeswax, thereby making it very hard to use.

So, if you've reached 8% already, then figure out the amount you would need to add another 4%, thereby bringing it up to a total ingredient weight of 12% of your total concoction. Melt this extra amount into your concoction. Let it cool. Check your consistency. If it is still very, very liquid, add another 4%. And so on.

At some point you will begin to reach a better consistency. Then it will be up to you whether to add another 4% or to cut the extra amount to add by 1/2 and add only an additional 2% to your concoction.

Like Cannafan said, let it cool to room temperature each time you use it.

You can cut your wait time between heatings and coolings by a lot if you take a small amount and set it in the freezer to cool ahead of the rest of it. Once it is cool coming out of the freezer, check its consistency and go from there. If the consistency is fine, then you're good to go. If it's still very liquid, then toss the whole recipe back into the crock pot and keep going.

I hope this helps you. A lot. I'm sorry this has happened. I'm not sure exactly what happened unless your measurements are off. Everything, and I mean all your ingredients, should be measured by weight when working with creams and lotions and NOT by volume. Volumetric measurements just don't work when you're working with creams and lotions. I think that might be your problem today.

Looking forward to hearing how you fare.

:thanks: Magnus! This is GREAT info and exactly what I need to know. Unfortunately, I'm high now and reading and understanding isn't very good right now but that's okay now that I think you wrote that I could add more beeswax and just reheat and cool again. �� I'm going to blog it to read tomorrow.

​Thank You!

Hurray!!!!! I'm not alone on the high thing. :rofl: Babies will have nothing on me for sleeping tonight.

I'm going to blog this as well. Great information of percentages, and I'll try to add your question post above his reply for easy understanding. I've been printing some of the info here for a notebook at my concoction area too. ;-)

Are there recipes in your cooking thread of things you would do with your strained plant material? I never know what to do with mine.

CCOiler:

Making a massage oil is as simple as making infused Olive oil for cooking. If you want an extremely simple and basic method, just make the infused olive oil and fill the roll on container with it. You will have your THC for pain, and the olive oil benefits for your skin.
I changed mine up a bit by adding a drop or two of Lavender essential oil, and a wee bit of Vitamin E oil from a capsule. I probably didn't need the Vitamin E oil, as olive oil contains that already.

The very basic method is a good base to start, because it contains nothing that can irritate sensitive skin.

Pardon my not posting that simplicity earlier, but remembering how I made what the day I was seriously playing around with all kinds of recipes is tough. :laugh:

I have a freezer full of strained Cannabis buds from making extractions that will be used for poultices and other things in the future. So, don't throw away that strained cannabis.

Edit: And as always, if Magnus or anyone else wants to add their input, it is totally welcomed!

Are there recipes in your cooking thread of things you would do with your strained plant material? I never know what to do with mine.

I've read that some people use the strained cannabis from canna butter in brownie mixes, although I've never tried this myself. I don't think anyone has posted any on the Cannabis Kitchen thread, but I'm going to post that question to see if anyone has something to offer. Thanks for the nudge!
I do have an age old poultice recipe on my blog...I think. LOL If I find it I'll send ya a link.

Edit: Here's the one on Poultices

Recipe for Topical Marijuana Poultice

I hope you don't mind Magnus8, I'm going to post the article that I had included with the poultice recipe here. It is relevant to the oil, and how the extract of the cannabis plant was done using alcohol (as we do now with the Everclear), and lists the medical benefits discovered during testing it as a topica back in the 50's and 60'sl:

This is dated back to 2011, things have come a long way since then, but I wanted to post this for reference. I'm sure this poultice was made by ancestors going way back, of course, without the knowledge we have today and different methods of extracting the beneficials of our beloved plant.
This is for reference:

Topical Cannabis Poultice
Cannabis has been used as medicine since the dawn of time.
Some folks would tell you that it is simply superstition and old wives tales, but that's not true.

In 1952 Dr.J. Kabelikovi performed tests in Europe using cannabis extract on bacteria.
These tests were similar to those used to test penicillin.

The alcohol extract of cannabis was bacterially effective against many gram-positive and one gram-negative microorganisms.

A cannabis paste applied externally was also found to be effective.

According to Kabelikovi, "from a study of 2,000 herbs by Czechoslovakian scientists it was found that cannabis indica (the Indian Hemp) was the most promising in the realm of antibiotics."

In 1960 Drs. J. Kabelik, (Director, Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology) Z. Krejci and F. Santavy (Director, Institute of Medical Chemistry) from the Medical Faculty of the Palacky University, Olomouc, Czechoslovakia, published a paper called "Cannabis as a Medicant".

In this paper proof was given that cannabis extracts produce a very satisfactory antibacterial effect upon the following microbes:
Staphylococcus Pyogenes Aureus
Steptococcus Alpha Haemolyticus
Streptococcus Beta Haemolyticus
Enterococcus
Diplococcus Pneumonia
B. Anthracis
Corynebacterium Diptheriae

All of these are gram-positive microorganisms.

Noteworthy is the effect upon staphylococcus aureaus strains, which are resistant to penicillin and to other antibiotics.

This is great news for us today with the super bacteria that have become resistant to modern antibiotics.
( By the way, did you know that the word antibiotic comes from Greek and means 'against life'?)

The anti-bacterial properties in cannabis are from cannabidiolic acid and cannabidiol.
They are most effective against local infections, ear, nose, throat and skin infections.

One of the best ways to use this herb for local skin infections is as a poultice.
A poultice is simply macerated herb wrapped in a clean cloth and placed on the affected area.

How to Make a Poultice

Using dried herb:

Use a mortar and pestle to grind the herbs to a powder.
Add enough warm water to make a thick paste that can be easily applied.
Add the water a little at a time, until the mixture is a thick paste but not stiff.
Make enough to cover the affected area.
Take a clean piece of gauze, large enough to cover the affected area completely, and spread the herbal preparation over it.
Cleanse the affected area and place the poultice over it.
Wrap the poultice in a clean cloth and hold it in place with a safety pin.

Using fresh herb:
Put about twice as much water as herb in a pan and simmer for a few minutes. Do not drain!
Follow the directions given for applying the dried herb poultice.
The poultice can be kept warm using a warm towel or a hot water bag.
Posted by Wild Bill at 1:19 PM

I figured out my problem. Have I ever told you that I'm seriously mathematically challenged??? I always tell Felonious that I need his math skills for figuring out stuff like percentages, fractions, decimals, etc. I can do basic math but that's it.

So, anyway, supergroomer's original recipe called for 1.3 ounces of beeswax for 3 cups of oil and my first mistake was measuring it by volume rather than by weight. My second mistake was counting it in ounces and not converting it to grams so Mr. Google says that 1.3 ounces = 37 grams (roughly) and I now know that there's no way I added 37 grams of beeswax to the oil mixture, which leads me to my third mistake -- when trying to fix my mistake, I took Magnus' advice below under advisement and started adding more beeswax in small quantities to get it to work but Felonious just measured the 300 gram bar of beeswax I bought and found out, it's now at 275 grams so therefore, I've only added 25 grams of the 37 grams I was supposed to add. We've now realized that I screwed up the measuring so have now added the additional 12 grams to bring the total to 37 grams, which is where we were supposed to be all along.

My third mistake is that when I thought I was adding the correct amount, I was ignoring the decimal and therefore 1.5 grams became 15 grams so I thought I was adding the correct amount when in fact, it was way too little.
:oops:

Oh well, hopefully it will all come together now that I think I know what I'm doing. I'll keep you posted.

:thanks: Magnus! This is GREAT info and exactly what I need to know. Unfortunately, I'm high now and reading and understanding isn't very good right now but that's okay now that I think you wrote that I could add more beeswax and just reheat and cool again. I'm going to blog it to read tomorrow.

​Thank You!

I'm afraid that there's just too much to teach you about the process of making a lotion for me to just slap down a recipe for you. That wouls be very unprofessional and very unkind of me to do, and I don't like to be either.

I love this guy!

You would make a fantastic teacher Magnus. Great thread I'm looking forward to reading every day. What a fantastic attitude and professionalism

Sent from my SM-G935F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Good afternoon, Cannafan.

Here's my potato peeler after I tried shaving my beeswax :cheesygrinsmiley::

IMG_069853.jpg

Here's what I ended up using instead:

IMG_069951.jpg
IMG_070053.JPG

Here's a knuckle saving tip on how to get your harder items into bits or shavings for melting instead of using a grater. I used a potato peeler. It super fast and works great!
This is a block of cocoa butter being shaved down today:

shaving_cocoa_butter.jpg

Checked out your Facebook page Magnus. Beautiful soaps!

Do you make the soap cutters yourself? I can swear I saw guitar tuners and strings

Should be easy enough to make

Sent from my SM-G935F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Good afternoon, Cannafan.

Here's my potato peeler after I tried shaving my beeswax :cheesygrinsmiley::

IMG_069853.jpg

Here's what I ended up using instead:

IMG_069951.jpg
IMG_070053.JPG

Oops...mine must be a heavier duty model. :)

I tried the grater this morning on my beeswax, and it just does not work for me. It's way too labor intense, not sturdy, and I get my finger or knuckle at least once every time.
I like the serated knife idea too.

The only reason I had to shave some beeswax down this morning....somewhere in this house is a full bag of beeswax pellets....I didn't intentionally hide it....but I did a good job of doing it. I spent almost two hours total looking for it and had no luck. Frustrating.....

:laugh:

I hope you don't mind Magnus8, I'm going to post the article that I had included with the poultice recipe here. It is relevant to the oil, and how the extract of the cannabis plant was done using alcohol (as we do now with the Everclear), and lists the medical benefits discovered during testing it as a topica back in the 50's and 60'sl:

Now why would I mind? Seriously, Cannafan, anything that helps anyone is good in my books!

Back
Top Bottom