New City Grower 2.0

No way!~ Reg leaves the dead clone society?? :bravo::circle-of-love:
welcome to the happy clone society Reg! :welcome: I'm a new member too ;)
20140724_145752.jpg

I think it depends mostly on how long you want to leave the seedling in it's original container, Reg. The seed itself contains all the specialized baby food a young plant needs for the first several days. When a human eats seeds they are eating that baby food for plants, the embryo is small, most of the seed is "baby plant food."

Peat has almost no nutrient value. After a few days the baby plant will use up all the food from the seed and will need to find food elsewhere through the developing roots. I like to leave plants in the initial medium for about three weeks.

So, I add a little food to a neutral medium, in my case sunshine #4 for seedlings. BUT, I don't try to feed the baby plant a steak and a baked potato, either. The seedling mix has enough food for a baby to grow, but I also want it to have to go looking for the food by building an extensive root system. I also encourage the roots by making sure that the baby soil is light and airy in texture - high ratio of perlite, and is myco inoculated.

You have peat, maybe a little Yum left, and perlite. You could use 3 quarts peat, 1 quart perlite, step 1 according to package directions for 1 gallon of soil, a quarter cup of city compost, and about 1 Tablespoon of Yum to make a nice lean well draining cannabis seedling mix that will grow young cannabis plants like gangbusters in 1 Qt containers for three weeks before transplanting into the other soil.

I think it depends mostly on how long you want to leave the seedling in it's original container, Reg. The seed itself contains all the specialized baby food a young plant needs for the first several days. When a human eats seeds they are eating that baby food for plants, the embryo is small, most of the seed is "baby plant food."

Peat has almost no nutrient value. After a few days the baby plant will use up all the food from the seed and will need to find food elsewhere through the developing roots. I like to leave plants in the initial medium for about three weeks.

So, I add a little food to a neutral medium, in my case sunshine #4 for seedlings. BUT, I don't try to feed the baby plant a steak and a baked potato, either. The seedling mix has enough food for a baby to grow, but I also want it to have to go looking for the food by building an extensive root system. I also encourage the roots by making sure that the baby soil is light and airy in texture - high ratio of perlite, and is myco inoculated.

You have peat, maybe a little Yum left, and perlite. You could use 3 quarts peat, 1 quart perlite, step 1 according to package directions for 1 gallon of soil, a quarter cup of city compost, and about 1 Tablespoon of Yum to make a nice lean well draining cannabis seedling mix that will grow young cannabis plants like gangbusters in 1 Qt containers for three weeks before transplanting into the other soil.

What PeeJay said..:blushsmile:....:circle-of-love:

Reggie, I've been starting seeds in peat pellets for decades. I see no reason why to not use peat. I will say a better medium to germinate seed in is vermiculite. There are a few textures of vermiculite. The puffed version has larger particles and remains lighter on top of seeds.

In the big greenhouses when we were growing seed which required light to germinate, we'd use promix into the trays, lay seed on top of that mix and on top of that, expanded vermiculite. It was light enough to allow light to penetrate so the light requirement for seeds is met at the same time that light layer of vermiculite provided the moisture through out the day until it germinated.

So, yes you can definitely use plain peat moss to germ seed, but I prefer a special seed starting, sterile mix. Any cheap sterile seed starting mix is good. Then you have better chances of not losing seedlings to rhizoctonia.

I think the peat pellets have some lime to correct pH?

My bag of seedling mix has 70-80% peat, perlite,
dolomite lime, and yucca extract (wetting agent).

I will switch to PJ's recipe (above) in the future

Penn State Extension has some good stuff. I found a nice chart of biological control agents/trade names/target pathogens

I think the peat pellets have some lime to correct pH?

My bag of seedling mix has 70-80% peat, perlite,
dolomite lime, and yucca extract (wetting agent).

I will switch to PJ's recipe (above) in the future

Penn State Extension has some good stuff. I found a nice chart of biological control agents/trade names/target pathogens

You make a good point about the low pH of straight peat, Slo. To a degree I've been caught with my pants down. :straightface:

Neutral soiless mediums like Pro-Mix HP, and Sunshine #4 are largely peat based (Sunshine also has coco coir in it) and come buffered with Dolomite. Straight peat has a pH as low as 4.0...

The seedling mix suggested for Bar's situation has little to buffer the pH except a touch of Yum and it's mineral content. The larger volume of soil he has cooking has more Yum, a little bone meal, and his eggshells that will all buffer the mix. What remains to be seen is if that is enough buffering capacity to keep the pH in range.

It may be worthwhile for Reg to swing by the garden center and pick up some lime to add to his bin of soil. I neglected to take into account that Pro-Mix or Sunshine are prebuffered when suggesting ratios and ingredients for the mix he is using - a mix that is based on the limited availability of amendments, limited storage space, and budgetary restrictions he faces.

How are the girls in the cooked mix looking, Reg?

I turned mines in already and am in the process of stepping down from my position of President & CEO of the DCS...

There's always the supporting alumni club. :yummy::hookah:

Hi, BAR. nice work. :party:
Thanxx Sara...

How are the girls in the cooked mix looking, Reg?
I'll take pics of them when I get home Coach.

It's been busy these last couple of days so I'll have to try to catch-up on everyone's journals later. For now here's a look at Lasagna Boy's cubicle (you all remember him right) & his trash basket I found my empty lasagna container in.

You can see him sitting to the left running his mouth & invading someone else's space as usual. Oh, I can't stand him!!!

Thanxx Sara...

I'll take pics of them when I get home Coach.

It's been busy these last couple of days so I'll have to try to catch-up on everyone's journals later. For now here's a look at Lasagna Boy's cubicle (you all remember him right) & his trash basket I found my empty lasagna container in.

You can see him sitting to the left running his mouth & invading someone else's space as usual. Oh, I can't stand him!!!

OMG!!! You have to work in that box all day long????? No wonder you need meds.... Bless your heart...:love:.....:circle-of-love:

@ PeeJay.... :ciao:... Everything I ordered came this morning and when you have a few seconds would you please pop over to my journal and tell me what I am doing now cause I don't have a clue.....:circle-of-love:
DSC076493.JPG

Where's all the bottles with cartoon characters and catchy names on the front? You can grow tomatoes in that stuff u have, but marijuana is so different! (jk of course, and hope someone gets a chuckle out of my sarcasm.)

I love this thread! Always packed with such great organic growing info. And everyones so nice too. Not snobby, clickish, or holier than thou like a lot of organic growers can act. Thanks guys! Keep up the great work. I really enjoy reading it.

A Wonderful Weedsday Reg & company :peace:

I love this thread! Always packed with such great organic growing info. And everyones so nice too. Not snobby, clickish, or holier than thou like a lot of organic growers can act. Thanks guys! Keep up the great work. I really enjoy reading it.

:ciao: BAR :passitleft: , , , & REPS toker69 :high-five: great share, I concur. . . :circle-of-love:

QUICK UPDATE

As promised Coach PJ, here's a look at the 2nd & 3rd wave of Street Girls after being replanted in our Organic Soil Mix.

SECOND WAVE OF STREET GIRLS
( Unknown Strains) Day 28

They just love it! They now have a richer shade of green plus have grown a few inches almost over night.

IMG_20140827_3_.jpg

IMG_20140827_4_.jpg

THIRD WAVE OF STREET GIRLS
( Unknown Strains) Day 23

These little runts are starting to shoot upwards since they've been re-planted in our Soil Mix.

IMG_20140827_2_.jpg

I also purchased the bag of Growers Mix PJ & I were discussing.

IMG_20140826_2_.jpg

IMG_20140826_3_.jpg

COTTON CANDY CLONES
Day 23

Being that these are my first clones ever to survive I need to know when to plant them. Are the roots long enough or should I wait longer?
The stem to the right is the new cutting from the WILD THAILAND.

IMG_20140827_5_.jpg

High Reg
I like the new membership card a lot more than your old former Presidency of the DCS:goodjob:
As do I Jaga...

Thanxx Toker. It's the subscribers here who make it what it is...

Back
Top Bottom