Newbie Grower, Carmen Auto x Diva, Outdoors

Makes perfect sense, thank you, @Emilya !

Well, I was hoping to start looking into the Rev, but what you are saying makes more sense. I should learn to read plant nutrient deficiency patterns, first, huh?

So, kind of like, if learning the basics of how to water your plants and feed them on time without killing them is #101, then maybe learning to read nutrient deficiency patterns so you can feed the poor little girls the right thing for each one of their individual constitutions is probably #102, huh?

So what are you really saying, Em?
I need to stop treating feeding time like a cafeteria lineup, but to learn instead to provide each little girl with some good home cooking, and her favorite dish each time, so that each little girl's individual health can be maximized?
That;s #102, right?
(Hahahaha.)
There is nothing wrong with going with the Rev and learning about deficiency as it comes up. Hurrying your supersoil will give you some good learning opportunities and Rev's teas will help you get through them, but I assure you that the learning never stops. I only caution that the more specifically you get toward feeding your plants with your watering and your additives, the further you drift away from true organic feeding, where the microbes do all of that for you.

Not quite.

Half a liter, or 17 oz per gallon (or 128 oz) = 17:128 or 1:13.3 (way too strong)

1 L = 34 oz
2 Tbl = 1 oz
3 Tsp = 1Tbl
6 Tsp = 1 oz

so...., 6 tsp/Liter = 1:34 (or 2 Tbl = 1:34)
3 tsp/Liter = 1:68 (or 1 Tbl = 1:68)

Don't go crazy. A little goes a long way.

Ok, great! I wrote it down on the jar.

A very good (and strong) all purpose fertilizer. Go with more dilution at first so you don't burn you plants.

Sounds good! The next time we eat fish I will throw the remains in a jar, and then set a reminder for six months (!).
(Pending the results of your new LAB experiment.)

You don't necessarily get more bud form all thc strains, but you can get higher thc percentages than you typically can get in mixed thc and cbd strains. So that's why I suggested growing high thc strains and high cbd strains and then mixing and matching in your oils or whatever to get the ratio that you want.

Some of the 1:1 strains are like 10-12% each of thc and cbd. So why not grow two different 20% strains and mix them after the fact yourself? That way you get a higher cannabinoid load and can tailor the strength to whatever is needed. Especially good if you grow for multiple people that all have slightly different needs.

Well, if I understand what you are saying correctly, it would seem an interesting equation.
My understanding is that there is some precursor to THC and CBD (I think CBG or CBN or something) that can get turned either into THC, or into CBD, but not both.
So if a plant hypothetically has 20% CBG, you could hypothetically make a 20% THC plant, OR a 20% CBD plant, OR you could hypothetically split it up any way that you want to (1:1, 1:2, 1:4, whatever, if you can actually get the plant to do that).
However, the ratio into which the precursor gets changed (1:0 or whatever) does not increase the overall amount of the precursor (CBG, or CNB, or whatever it is).

So my earlier thought was to find all the 1:1 auto regulars (I found four), and then mix them with some other 1:1 autos, to create mish-mash hybrid seeds, to get me through this nightlight situation without breaking the bank.
I realize that mishmash seed is probably highly frowned upon in the breeder community (because those guys are artists).
But my main goal is to get high quality homegrown organic medicine for the best price (i.e., not paying if I don't need to pay).
So maybe mishmash seed will taste awful? I dunno, but it would be interesting to try, even if it doesn't turn out great.

Someday I hope to get away from these night security lights, and then get a proper greenhouse (or garden outdoors), with photoperiod regulars.

The long term goal is a (mostly) self-sustaining farm, and I don't mind dropping $10-13 plus shipping on photoperiod seeds, 'cause 6 or 7 of those, and I am set for the year!
But dropping $10-13 on little bitty things that give you maybe 50-100 grams, I don't like it so much.

I think your solution is better, but I can't find an all-CBD auto regular.
I could maybe start with a 1:1 auto regular, and keep breeding it with all-CBD auto females to make seed, and after so many generations, maybe I would have something I can use?
Only, I don't plant to be here that long, so I am thinking just use the auto seeds that I already have.

There is nothing wrong with going with the Rev and learning about deficiency as it comes up. Hurrying your supersoil will give you some good learning opportunities and Rev's teas will help you get through them, but I assure you that the learning never stops. I only caution that the more specifically you get toward feeding your plants with your watering and your additives, the further you drift away from true organic feeding, where the microbes do all of that for you.

Thanks, @Emilya .
It sounds really important, what you are saying.
I have been chewing on that topic already.

I think for right now, I am just trying to get through this night security light situation (autos) for however long it takes to get the visa paperwork nightmare done, and then find a home where we can settle in, and start our farm.
I do like the 100% organic and natural aspect (a lot), but I am also not a 100% purist in that respect.
For me, health and longevity are the goal, and if extra vitamins, minerals, herbs, and health supplements help me, I am not against things that work!

And if health supplements work for me, then I don't see any reason to withhold them from my girls!
I see you running your girls through the Olympic tryouts, so they need some extra health supplements!
And if yours are on the Training Regimen, then I should probably learn how to whip my girls into shape also.
They got a light dose of banana tea this week--next week they will get the full whack!
Haha.

My understanding is that there is some precursor to THC and CBD (I think CBG or CBN or something) that can get turned either into THC, or into CBD, but not both.
So if a plant hypothetically has 20% CBG, you could hypothetically make a 20% THC plant, OR a 20% CBD plant, OR you could hypothetically split it up any way that you want to (1:1, 1:2, 1:4, whatever, if you can actually get the plant to do that).
However, the ratio into which the precursor gets changed (1:0 or whatever) does not increase the overall amount of the precursor (CBG, or CNB, or whatever it is).
CBGa is the precursor cannabinoid for all the others and will convert to THCa, or CBDa, or CBCa, etc. but which one or combination is predetermined by the genetics. I am not aware of how one could manipulate the outcome other than careful and knowledgeable breeding.

CBGa is the precursor cannabinoid for all the others and will convert to THCa, or CBDa, or CBCa, etc. but which one or combination is predetermined by the genetics. I am not aware of how one could manipulate the outcome other than careful and knowledgeable breeding.

Right.
So, I agree completely--to do it right you would need a lot of knowledge, training, and skill.
And I would love to have that skill!
And it is a testament to the breeder's skill that we have the amazing strains that we have today!
I just don't have the time.

So, my question is still, if you put 1:1 auto regular pollen on a 1:1 auto fem, would you probably get +/- 1:1 auto seed (more or less)?
Or is it not that easy?
(Or is it not that good?)

reliably not so much. you can make seed/plants that constantly hermie/self-seed. even some very well known land race strains will do this with not much prodding. it's not a desired trait. the plant puts the effort in to seed, not the bud you want.

for now yes you do. it's not a knock you're not at that point.
a lot of growers go independent over time. most of it is rooted in photo reg genetics though.

the fem-photo/auto/auto-fem is bred in and stabilized over a few generations. and takes several strains etc. it's not purely a hobbyist thing.

have at it.

edit : you might want to learn about silver thiosulfite and colloidial silver for making fems and selfing plants as well.

Hey @bluter , sorry, I meant to get back to you about your edit.
Like you said earlier, probably someone else will make an all-CBD auto strain, and probably the best thing to do is just to wait for it. (I have got plenty of seeds to plant in between now and then anway...)
I am still trying to master the very basics, so if I ever do a deeper dive into breeding, it probably won't be for a long time, because I have wayy too much to learn about the basics right now.

I tried colloidal silver (like 40+ppm) before, and the plant looked really stressed.
I am not a total granola-head purist, but I can think like one sometimes. And some people think that if you stress your insumables, somehow, energetically, spiritually, one way or another, there has to be some kind of backlash to that, somewhere on down the line.
And then I am sure that there are other people who would think that is total hogwash, but the idea of distressing my insumables makes me a little nervous. So I am kind of hoping to go as much toward natural as I easily can. So while I am sure that silver is probably much more practical at a commercial level, from a naturalistic perspective, it would be good to get away from distressed seedlines.
I hope I am explaining where I am coming from.
I appreciate you telling me your take.

Hey @bluter , sorry, I meant to get back to you about your edit.
Like you said earlier, probably someone else will make an all-CBD auto strain, and probably the best thing to do is just to wait for it. (I have got plenty of seeds to plant in between now and then anway...)
I am still trying to master the very basics, so if I ever do a deeper dive into breeding, it probably won't be for a long time, because I have wayy too much to learn about the basics right now.

I tried colloidal silver (like 40+ppm) before, and the plant looked really stressed.
I am not a total granola-head purist, but I can think like one sometimes. And some people think that if you stress your insumables, somehow, energetically, spiritually, one way or another, there has to be some kind of backlash to that, somewhere on down the line.
And then I am sure that there are other people who would think that is total hogwash, but the idea of distressing my insumables makes me a little nervous. So I am kind of hoping to go as much toward natural as I easily can. So while I am sure that silver is probably much more practical at a commercial level, from a naturalistic perspective, it would be good to get away from distressed seedlines.
I hope I am explaining where I am coming from.
I appreciate you telling me your take.

it's all good. walk before run.

you have a unique set of problems to solve, and you've been getting some fantastic guidance from others i've seen.

it's all good. walk before run.

you have a unique set of problems to solve, and you've been getting some fantastic guidance from others i've seen.

Sí, I feel beyond blessed in that regard.
I don't know what I did to have two such expertos helping me learn how to raise up the girls (and all of the other very valuable help), but I feel very blessed.:hookah:

You know, I have been thinking about this a lot.
Is there a "Greenhouse and Outdoor Grow" section here on 420?
Or is the closest thing to just start a new thread with "Greenhouse" in the title?
Because I am growing in a greenhouse now, and probably will be at my next place also (I hope), so would it make sense to start a greenhouse autos thread?
Thanks.

Like you said earlier, probably someone else will make an all-CBD auto strain, and probably the best thing to do is just to wait for it.
There are high-CBD autos available, both in the 10-12% range, and on up to 20+% range. In fact, I ordered a high-CBD photo plant, and they sent me autos! Then they resent the seed, and out of 3 seeds, I now have 2 plants – one auto and one photo! Well at least I have one photo plant now, so I can make clones, and it's a strain where some phenos can reach 20% CBD – so it's a 20:1 strain. Here it is... looks indica-leaning...

CBD_seedling1.jpg

There are high-CBD autos available, both in the 10-12% range, and on up to 20+% range. In fact, I ordered a high-CBD photo plant, and they sent me autos! Then they resent the seed, and out of 3 seeds, I now have 2 plants – one auto and one photo! Well at least I have one photo plant now, so I can make clones, and it's a strain where some phenos can reach 20% CBD – so it's a 20:1 strain. Here it is... looks indica-leaning...

CBD_seedling1.jpg

Thanks, @cbdhemp808 ! Only, sorry, I made a typo. I meant to say that probably someone will make a CBD auto regular one day. (My bad.)
Long story short, right now I have to grow on my roof, in a makeshift greenhouse, and we have some very strong night security lights (that you can read at night by), so photoperiods are on hold for right now.
Right now I am learning all about autos (because the night lights do not affect them).

I was looking for an all-CBD auto regular so I can make my own seeds, because we hope for for a self-sustaining farm (and budget is always an issue).
I am hoping that my next place will not have night security lights (so I can go back to photoperiods)--but until that actually happens, I am all-in on autos (because it is possible that there might have to be security lights at the next place also (so I want to see how far I can take this thing with autos outside).

Your girls look nice and healthy!
And yes, I love extra seeds! (It is always fun and exciting trying something new).

Ok, well, the GeoFlora and the DynoMyco (house brands?) are not yet here, but the Subcool's Supersoil is now cold (i.e., finished), and I think @Emilya and @Azimuth helped me figure out a whole lotta problems, and I still have a long ways to go in learning, but I think I am ready to try some new seeds.
I still have some legacy girls from before, and they still have various problems, but it is not worth sorting out. I think the best thing is to start out fresh (so to speak), and let's try this from the top.

NEW CHAPTER! (I HOPE.)

Greenhouse:
Ok, a quick rundown of the grow site. It is a long story, but I am in a home-made PVC pipe greenhouse covered in standard UV resistant greenhouse plastic (with a light yellow tint), on my roof (because that is where the community guard said to grow it).
I straightened up the frame so that the doors will seal better at night, because it gets pretty cold here, and I think some of my earlier plants had stunting. Hopefully that will all be done with now.
(Someday I want a tall glass greenhouse, for Sativas, but this is what I have for right now.)
I have to grow autos, because there is a night light so strong you can read by it, so photoperiods are out for now.
I set everything on a heating mat, to keep the roots from getting too cold (but I am not sure if that is a thing, once they are above ground and have real leaves).

Solo cups:
I am putting 1/3 Subcool's in the bottom of the cup.
Then I mix a bagged boutique canna soil with 20% worm castings, and fill the cup.

Seeding:
I have tried a lot of seed planting techniques.
I love the Root Riot cubes, but I cannot get them here, and I don't seem to be doing too good with the paper towels, so at the moment I liked what @Azimuth said about wanting to get the seed directly in contact with the soil bacteria the moment it cracks (and maybe the seed can tell if there are beneficial bacteria present, or not? I had several seeds crack in the wet paper towel tray, but the tail never grew later, even if I transplanted it later.)
So, l realize different things work for everyone, so at the moment I am soaking the seeds for +/- 12 hours and then sowing them direct in the soil (1/2" down).
The supersoil was moist, and the bagged soil was dry. I put a little Orca liquid Myco in my sprayer bottle, and gave it maybe 20 good spritzes. And then in an hour I probably gave it ten more spritzes right down the middle. And then an hour after that, I probably gave it ten more spritezes right down the middle ('just 'cause I looked through the side of the cup, and was not convinced it was properly moist).

@Emilya said something in her post about how, when she spritzes the seeded area, she also (paraphrase) "sends a little water down the center" to feed the tap roots, but I am not sure how much to send down the center, but I thought that the 20 spritzes would connect the top of the Solo cup with the supersoil below.
So far it seems to be working good.

I planted 3 seeds of Delicious Seeds' Eleven Roses Auto using this new pattern on 6/16 (3 days ago), and I got 3 for 3.
I dug a little for all three, but 3 for 3 is pretty good, so I hope this will be a continuing trend.
So, do you want to see my baby pictures? (Haha.)
Here is Rosie Alpha, just greeting the day for the first time:

11r1.jpg

And here is her sister, Rosie Beta, with her head still stuck in the blankets. (I think she's got it! I don't think she needs help. [At least, not yet.])

11r2.jpg

And here is Rosie #3. She is taking off her winter stocking cap, and should be joining her sisters shortly.

11r3.jpg

ROSIE'S SISTERS:

My three Rosies have some sisters by different mothers.
I planted them with the same boutique soil, but not supersoil (because it was not done yet).

For example, here are two sweet little Barney's Farm LSD Autos without supersoil. We can call them Lacey #1 and Lacey #2. (Just so long as they are not Lazy #1 and Lazy #2, haha.)
They were planted on 6/5 (14 days ago).
Probably I get 10 good hours of sun a day here, so probably I will never get the same kind of results as I could get by growing indoors under pro lights 20/4 (or even 18/6), but this is the grow environment I have, at the moment.
I hope I will be able to top them before they shift into flower!

Lacey #1. I did not mix 20% worm castings into her soil, so I put maybe a 1/2" layer on top.

1l.jpg

Lacey #2. She also has a 1/2" worm castings top-layer, and no supersoil.

2ls.jpg

And here are their Sativa sisters, Kong Super Glue 1 and 2.
Kong 1 has some upward leaf curling issue, which started at her last feeding, two days ago.
I was stoned, and gave her BioNova Bloom instead of grow (oops!).
I hope it does not cost me my ability to top her.

1k.jpg

Here is a closeup of the curl. Sorry it is a little blurry.
Any ideas what could be causing it? (The leaf curl, that is, haha.)

k1close.jpg

Here is a side-view, if anyone is interested.

k1side.jpg

She is maybe 20 days old, so I probably only have maybe 7-10 days left to top her, so I hope my feeding her Bloom did not cost me my ability to top her!

Here is her sister, Kong #2. I fed her Veg/Grow, but she is still just a little bit smaller than her sister.
I hope they both open up enough for me to clip the node, before they go into pre-flower!

2k.jpg

I snugged up the greenhouse today. It has lots of ventilation, but I thought I should try to seal it up just a little bit better, to try to hold nighttime temperatures in when I put the doors on at night.
I am pretty sure that controlled tempertures would also help, but right now I am in the greenhouse.

I've got some other (legacy) plants that I will probably be harvesting soon, and then I will soak more seeds. I just wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions to improve my basics (or any other suggestions).
Thank you.

Kong 1 has some upward leaf curling issue, which started at her last feeding, two days ago.
I was stoned, and gave her BioNova Bloom instead of grow (oops!).
I hope it does not cost me my ability to top her.
You could try flushing the container with 2-3 times the pot volume with straight water. That can help reset the table and then you can fertigate with the correct nutrients.

I snugged up the greenhouse today. It has lots of ventilation, but I thought I should try to seal it up just a little bit better, to try to hold nighttime temperatures in when I put the doors on at night.
I am pretty sure that controlled tempertures would also help, but right now I am in the greenhouse.
Some thermal mass in the greenhouse would help. It will act as a flywheel, absorbing excess heat during the day and releasing it at night. You'll end up with lower high temps and higher low temps. Water is one of the best to use but in part that's because of its weight, and you would want to be sure you're not overweighting the roof structure with a barrel of water. Could also put a few 5 gallon buckets around. Anything would help, really.

You could try flushing the container with 2-3 times the pot volume with straight water. That can help reset the table and then you can fertigate with the correct nutrients.

Yes, that is definitely an option, thank you. Only, I am too novice to know, what would that do to the wet/dry cycle?
And which would be more important to maintain with maybe 10 days to go before bloom?

Some thermal mass in the greenhouse would help. It will act as a flywheel, absorbing excess heat during the day and releasing it at night. You'll end up with lower high temps and higher low temps. Water is one of the best to use but in part that's because of its weight, and you would want to be sure you're not overweighting the roof structure with a barrel of water. Could also put a few 5 gallon buckets around. Anything would help, really.

Yes, I think I understand the concept.
Actually, the whole house (concrete) should at least hypothetically act as a heat sink.
And the heating pads should be adding at least some heat.
Probably to do a better job of actually sealing her, I would need a different design.

Yes, that is definitely an option, thank you. Only, I am too novice to know, what would that do to the wet/dry cycle?
And which would be more important to maintain with maybe 10 days to go before bloom?
It will reset it. Think of it like rain 2 days in a row. Not the end of the world. Flush, refertigate and then let it dry out as usual and you should be good.

It will reset it. Think of it like rain 2 days in a row. Not the end of the world. Flush, refertigate and then let it dry out as usual and you should be good.

Ok, great! Thank you.
I will try to flush her out and reset tomorrow.

I was looking for an all-CBD auto regular so I can make my own seeds, because we hope for for a self-sustaining farm (and budget is always an issue).
In that case, I recommend this one. They're a good company. If you harvest early, you can keep THC below 0.3%.

In that case, I recommend this one. They're a good company. If you harvest early, you can keep THC below 0.3%.

Sweet!!!! Major thanks for that!!
Major excitement! I have been searching everywhere for an all-CBD (or high-CBD) auto regular, and that may be it!
Woo-Hoo!!!!
Thank you!!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Back
Top Bottom