Northern Lights Autos: FoNz's Fabulous First Grow

I saw the plant becoming gradually more pale green/yellowing which can happen simply as a plant gets ready to finish from what I've read, but when I saw a leave down low getting salvaged I knew it was in part mobile nutrients. The leaves were also getting paler along their edges slowly with darker middles, which suggests deficiencies as well.

Because I didn't want to overload with chemical nutrients (mostly various acids, bases and salts which can gather in the soil) but I still wanted to increase nutrient uptake I ran a dry organic fertilizer, mychorrizae/bacteria culture powders, molasses based liquid amendment, and some old organic fax farm liquids I had laying around for a couple weeks. I did this in hopes of giving the plants a burst large amount of food without destroying soil life, pH, and salinity of the soil.

So far all of the plants have responded well, and Connie's sugar leaves started getting much fatter and happier with darker richer colors. I'll have better update photos tomorrow. The new growth is a good indicator since it takes much longer for new chlorophyll to fill the older leaves, but even the older leaves are getting more vibrant.

I saw the plant becoming gradually more pale green/yellowing which can happen simply as a plant gets ready to finish from what I've read, but when I saw a leave down low getting salvaged I knew it was in part mobile nutrients. The leaves were also getting paler along their edges slowly with darker middles, which suggests deficiencies as well.

Because I didn't want to overload with chemical nutrients (mostly various acids, bases and salts which can gather in the soil) but I still wanted to increase nutrient uptake I ran a dry organic fertilizer, mychorrizae/bacteria culture powders, molasses based liquid amendment, and some old organic fax farm liquids I had laying around for a couple weeks. I did this in hopes of giving the plants a burst large amount of food without destroying soil life, pH, and salinity of the soil.

So far all of the plants have responded well, and Connie's sugar leaves started getting much fatter and happier with darker richer colors. I'll have better update photos tomorrow. The new growth is a good indicator since it takes much longer for new chlorophyll to fill the older leaves, but even the older leaves are getting more vibrant.
:goodjob:

Sounds like a good save FoNz. Did you bubble a tea with the dry/all amendments?

Finally got to mess around with photos again, worked on and refined the previous mag-light technique and tried some other stuff without macro. Trying to get a good non-macro setup to showcase my eventual colas and nugs nicely.

Those 1st cpl pics are stunning, I'd love to be able to take pics like that, beautiful mr.Fonz...

Sounds like a good save FoNz. Did you bubble a tea with the dry/all amendments?
Not properly but I did make a quick tea. Been thinking about taking my old air pump and building a rotating tea bubbler as a hobby project.
Those 1st cpl pics are stunning, I'd love to be able to take pics like that, beautiful mr.Fonz...
I appreciate that very much, smeegol. Very kind. Most of the credit goes to my wife though who takes the shots, I just do the lighting.
She will be thrilled to see your comment though. :)

I'll drop these here too, since the snazzy photo update is delayed again.
IMG_20190409_012839~2.jpg

IMG_20190409_012807.jpg

They are starting to get thick! DSLR + Maglight photos coming in tonight. Some simpler update photos showing the frosting, bulking and oranging.
IMG_20190413_115337.jpg
IMG_20190413_115527.jpg
IMG_20190413_115455.jpg
IMG_20190413_115410.jpg
That last one is the same cola from the second picture in my last photo update, it is on Connie. The buds are noticeably thicker after only a few days. The most of orange one is from first to flower, Number Four. The first cola is from Eminem, who is far stockier than the other 4 and probably will finish 3rd. Runty and Chachi are still stacking and not into bulking yet.

One problem I might have is I was planning on flipping my tent into a drying tent, but with how far apart their biological clocks are I might have to figure out an alternative. Has anyone dried in a lit tent? From what I've seen, people prefer a dark tent for drying.
IMG_20190413_123042.jpg

The other problem with drying them in the same tent while the others finish is that they are bigger than I expected from indica dominant autoflowers, at around 36 inches (91 centimeters) from soil to top of cola. So it might be a little tight. The pots add another 12 inches or so, maybe a little more, then I need space for air flow and lights to sit.

Soon you might have update photos of hilariously crammed grow tent set ups!

They are beautiful! I haven't dried like that. Any port in a storm though.
Hoping for a frost storm to hit before they finish, they are very sticky right now but I think they'll get even more so in the next couple weeks. Aroma is getting really good, and I can actually smell some berry/lemon/earth to the buds. A lot sweeter than I expected from this strain. (Though I've never grown it before so my assumptions were based on almost nothing! :p)

Also, for those of you who like audience participation. I've created a poll.
If you want to cast your vote please do, and tell/tag your friends!

Hoping for a frost storm to hit before they finish, they are very sticky right now but I think they'll get even more so in the next couple weeks. Aroma is getting really good, and I can actually smell some berry/lemon/earth to the buds. A lot sweeter than I expected from this strain. (Though I've never grown it before so my assumptions were based on almost nothing! :p)
Oh man that's what I like!

Hi @FoNz .
I take it you have absolutely no other alternative for drying. I mean I have seen folk on 420 who set up drying inside a cardboard box. I have a similar predicament and I'm thinking of making a drying box. I don't think I would dry with my flowering plants under lights.
I have only ever dried in a wardrobe before. That worked pretty well.

Hi @FoNz .
I take it you have absolutely no other alternative for drying. I mean I have seen folk on 420 who set up drying inside a cardboard box. I have a similar predicament and I'm thinking of making a drying box. I don't think I would dry with my flowering plants under lights.
I have only ever dried in a wardrobe before. That worked pretty well.
The only problem in other places is air flow and smell. Right now my plants are very aromatic and my house is very small. If it weren't for the carbon filter and negative pressure air exchange you would smell my plants from outside.

I have heard that plants become even more aromatic when drying, so it's more out of courtesy to my neighbors and visitors.

I may be able to secure a small tent and fan soon that I can use, but budget is pretty tight and time is next to none for now.

The only problem in other places is air flow and smell. Right now my plants are very aromatic and my house is very small. If it weren't for the carbon filter and negative pressure air exchange you would smell my plants from outside.

I have heard that plants become even more aromatic when drying, so it's more out of courtesy to my neighbors and visitors.

I may be able to secure a small tent and fan soon that I can use, but budget is pretty tight and time is next to none for now.

I hear ya. My place is small too.
Compounded by one room being round. ( Rondavel we call it )
Anything you place against walls takes more space from centre of the room. Good luck. Hope you can get the other tent.

I only have one tent. If I have to ,I set up a cardboard dry box inside of my tent. I don't know if you have room for that, but if you do it certainly is an option.

Day 72 update:

So I will definitely have to build a separate drying area outside of the tent. Eminem, one of the plants that was barely in flower has finally started to show she is ending veg and going full stretch. This is good except she is almost as big as Connie (36" from soil) already, so I have no idea how tall she'll get. She's much tighter in internodal spacing then Connie, just decided to have a long veg then a slow switch. Autoflowers, amirite?

I guess Eminem is finally out of the D12 stage and is about to see some explosive growth.

In other news I don't even think Number Four, my first to flower, wants to finish this month. They are taking their sweet time, way longer than breeder time window, but that's good for yield. Just gotta be patient and let the ladies lead the way here. On week 11, x weeks to go.

Back
Top Bottom