Outdoor Growing With BeezLuiz

I grabbed some pics this morning of the outdoor plants before the sun started baking everything today - it's gonna be another scorcher here in Cali.

The plants are doing fine so far in this heat. The one on the left is Dresden Green Diamond that my son will be taking home to his place tomorrow.

I gave it a good 45 day start for him. It's been topped once and LST started. This will be fed GeoFlora nutes by my son. Three days before transplanting, I amended the soil with GF Veg (1 cup for the 10 gal pot). This one got a late start, so I hope it gets a growth spurt before it goes into flower. Here in the Bay Area, I find that my outdoor plants typically go into pre-flower at the end of June / beginning of July.

The other two plants are getting Emerald Harvest nutrients, which I had on hand from last year. I really like them, but they are expensive so I'm going to use up what I have and then switch to the Remo Nutrients kit (a 420mag sponser :cool:) that I won in PotM contest. The kit contains 7 different nuts in 1 liter bottles - I'm really looking forward to giving them a try.

Purple Haze has been topped 3 times now and LST is doing its thing nicely. Due to the training an topping, it will not be as large as my plants in previous grows - that's what I'm thinking anyway. We'll see.

Granddaddy Purple is also looking like it should so far, but speaking of "pre-flower"...
This is pretty early for pre-flower to start and the plant is still smallish, but I like the possibility that it may finish early - maybe by mid September. Keeping the plants smaller is part of my plan this year, so all is good. :peace:

I think it got to 99F here yesterday. I thought about moving them into the shade, but I didn't want to go outside. :laughtwo:

Looking great out there in the heat BL! The triple topped PH is going to be a fun one to watch grow out, but I'm sure they'll both be pretty huge at harvest. Not umbrella height, but still!
We'll see
That's the best approach! :high-five:
This is pretty early for pre-flower to start
I don't think 64 days is too early for plants to really show off their sex, but if you had any June gloom up there it might have gotten an early start.
It was 107F here.
I was so happy to get the hell out of Davis on Sunday before the 100+ temps rolled in. I wilted on Saturday in shade at 94º. o_O

Time to update my autos.
These two are now at 22 days from sprout. They've both been topped on day 16. Zamaldelica was topped above node 3 and Gorilla Cookies was topped above node 4.

Gorilla Cookies is showing signs of either a calcium deficiency, light stress, or both.
This is my first experience with growing under a light, so I'm still learning about how much is too much. My light has been sitting about 12 inches above both plants with a 20/4 schedule. I gave it some calmag at last watering and have also lowered this plant by about 4 inches.

On to American Pie. It's now at 98 days from sprout and flowering for 65 days. I still don't think it's ready yet!:thedoubletake:
It still has some fresh pistil stigmas and is drinking about every 3 days.

Here's some trichome shots. There's some amber, but still lots of clear... so I wait.

I took a small popcorn bud that was mostly clear, but will try it as a tester in a day or two. I actually took one a week or so ago and tried it. It's got potential! :ganjamon:

A Father's Day Update... and some math.
We celebrated yesterday as the boys and their wives and my grandson spent the day with us here. That means today is a quiet and relaxing day for me. :cool: (I think we need a :nap: emoji ) @Liquidintel brought over some dry ice so we could experiment with extracting kief from our aging collections of trim.

We've never tried this before so there was a learning curve. Here's what we did: I had previously purchased a set of bubble hash mesh bags ranging from 25 micron to 220 micron openings. We started with the 73um bag
We filled it with 1.5 oz of Killer Haze trim and about a pound of dry ice. After letting it sit for a couple minutes to get nice and cold, we started shaking it over a clean counter top.
Then we scraped the kief into a pile and put it into a container.

Then we moved all the dry ice and remaining trim material into a 220um mesh bag and repeated the process. A much larger pile and slightly darker (due to more plant material making it way through the filter).

Once we got the hang of it, we started emptying all our trim jars into the dry ice bags. We didn't weigh most of the trim material before getting started (we were high) but due to the magic of math I made several assumptions.

We had so much kief - it was crazy!

In addition to smoking it, which we did, and I got stupid high, I would like to use it for edibles. I expect the extractions (oil and butter) will be stronger and less "weedy" tasting. But how to calculate the strength? Here's my initial math with some major assumptions. Future dry ice extractions will hopefully be more controlled (I still have quite a bit of trim to work with). :nerd-with-glasses:

I started with 1.5 oz (42.5g) of Killer Haze trim. I had this lab tested back in Feb so I know its potency is 4.57%. So there should be a total of 1,942 mg of THC in that batch. After the kief extracting exercise, I ended up with 1.27g from the 73um filter, and another 5.83g from the 220um filter for a total of 7.1g kief. Assuming I got 80% of the trichomes from that potential of 1,942mg I calculated the kief potency to be 219mg/g of THC (or 22%). Not bad for some weak-ass trim sitting around in my garage.

I did a similar calculation with my mutant Gorilla Breath #1 flower that I grew last season. Its sister got lab tested at 15.9%THC, so I assumed this one was more like 11% because of the mutant status. With those assumptions in mind I came up with its kief having a potency of 418 mg/g of THC (or 42%). Of course the quality/potency of the 73um filtered kief will be higher than that from the 220um filter.

After these two semi-controlled runs, we just started throwing everything together. The "salad bowl" contained Sour Diesel, Northern Lights, Lemon Potion, Blackberry Fire, and Dream Queen. Just shooting from the hip, I assumed an average potency of this trim to be 14%, and using the data from the first two runs I came up with an guesstimate of 58% THC for the Salad Bowl kief.

At the end of the day, we collected 14.1g of 73um kief, and 49.1g of 220um kief. That came from roughly 11oz of trim material. I looked online for kief potencies and most places estimate kief to be between 50% and 80% potency, so I think I'm in the ballpark with my numbers. I'm looking forward to trying some of this in my next batch of gummies and topical oils. More details to come...

Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads out there! :circle-of-love:

Hi Beez! I'm hoping you and yours are healthy and happy. Looking good out there. :yummy: You know we are "out here havin fun, in the warm California sun!" But these temps? This early?
111 here a couple days ago, just a balmy 106 today. The greenhouses are really protective as far as wind, sun and, so far, bugs. Had a hopper problem early but that's straightened out I think. Dude! Your American Pie is chunky! Anyways, nice to see you. Happy Father's day! Smile and stay stoneder.

Happy Fathers Day, Beez...!
man, that's a crapload of kief!

It was pretty easy and surprising just how much we got, although we did start with a ton of trim (11oz = 1 ton?).
How much dry ice did you use? It looks like the drop zone is pretty wide - did some kief end up falling off the counter?
We used about 2 or 3 lbs of dry ice. My son wasn't sure how much he bought (it was about $20 worth). We had some left over. Your observation is spot on. Part of the learning curve. We were shaking it too high above the counter and the stuff was flying everywhere. I'm sure we lost a couple grams worth to the floor, our clothes, and the outer reaches of the counter. :rolleyes: I'm gonna have to work on containing it a little better.

In before midnight (love being on the west coast with y'all) to say happy father's day BL!

We celebrated yesterday as the boys and their wives and my grandson spent the day with us here. That means today is a quiet and relaxing day for me
I'm glad you got the families together for the day yesterday and got to spend today kiefing! Great powdery haul. :thumb:
I think we need a :nap: emoji
I absolutely agree, though :nap: works well too. :)
I expect the extractions (oil and butter) will be stronger and less "weedy" tasting.
Don't forget to decarb!
I calculated the kief potency to be 219mg/g of THC (or 22%).
When kief is all trichomes it should theoretically be close to 100% (as you mentioned below), so up that number!
I looked online for kief potencies and most places estimate kief to be between 50% and 80% potency,
That's how I've done extraction calcs as well, using 70% as my percentage basis. Of course, the more plant matter the lower the percent.

In before midnight (love being on the west coast with y'all) to say happy father's day BL!
Thanks Shed! :circle-of-love:
Don't forget to decarb!
Thanks for the reminder. It would be really sad to forget that crucial step.
When kief is all trichomes it should theoretically be close to 100%
I'm not sure that's how it works. I don't think trichomes are 100% THC. I've seen many super frosty buds that tested lower in THC than other varieties.
Of course, the more plant matter the lower the percent.
Yes, indeed. My kief has a good deal of plant material sprinkled in still. Part of my learning curve. I'm hopeful to get better as I practice more.

Very nice Beez! I got one of those puck makers. The aged, Afghani hash I made was primo. Smile and stay stoneder

Back
Top Bottom