Prof's Lab: Diary Of A Bedroom Farmer

Ok cool, I’m interested in the Landrace/Heirlooms
I found another breeder/seedbank called Seeds Of Africa. I want to try an African sativa and they look to have a nice little collection.

I have Durban from Ace and Transkie from @NoobyMacDooby from SA. Also have 3-4 Malawi from Ace.
I very nearly got some Malawi Gold from TRSC. They have the Afropips heirloom in stock. The Congolese caught my eye as well. Then I saw that they had the Deep Chunk after you mentioned it before. I could spend a lot of money on that site lol

Aloha Professor! The weed rainbow is almost all down lol certainly wish I could roll some up with you. Love all the land race stuff you got going. It’s like looking at the raw materials or ingredients in a recipe. I hope you and ohana are wonderful and all is blessed on that side of the pond!

Deep Chunk is an old Tom Hill IBL from like the 70's or early 80's

I got a pack of Tom Hill Deep Chunk x Maizal off a auction waaay back but never popped them. I think it was from hybrids from hell or something like that. I always wanted to get my hands just plain deep chunk. Super squat plants with those dark fat indica leaves.

:passitleft:

Deep Chunk is an old Tom Hill IBL from like the 70's or early 80's
It does sound like a nice strain. I'll be getting the X18's out at some point soon to give them a shot.
Aloha Professor! The weed rainbow is almost all down lol certainly wish I could roll some up with you. Love all the land race stuff you got going. It’s like looking at the raw materials or ingredients in a recipe. I hope you and ohana are wonderful and all is blessed on that side of the pond!

I got a pack of Tom Hill Deep Chunk x Maizal off a auction waaay back but never popped them. I think it was from hybrids from hell or something like that. I always wanted to get my hands just plain deep chunk. Super squat plants with those dark fat indica leaves.

Hey Sunny! I'm glad the weed rainbow went well for you. Mine didn't go quite as planned and I killed 10 seedlings before 2 finally took. I'm still not 100% sure on what happened exactly but the main problem at time was a serious fungus gnat infestation so I bet that had something to do with it.

I have a few landrace strains to get through now. Mostly Afghans and Himalayan charas plants but there is also the Highland Laos freebies I got with the last order.

Do you still have those seeds? They sound cool
These are IBL so like F5 or F6 but I’ll be making seeds for sure.
When you make seeds to continue a strain would you allow all the plants to flower and pollenate each or would you pick the best male and female and cross those?

It does sound like a nice strain. I'll be getting the X18's out at some point soon to give them a shot.

Hey Sunny! I'm glad the weed rainbow went well for you. Mine didn't go quite as planned and I killed 10 seedlings before 2 finally took. I'm still not 100% sure on what happened exactly but the main problem at time was a serious fungus gnat infestation so I bet that had something to do with it.

I have a few landrace strains to get through now. Mostly Afghans and Himalayan charas plants but there is also the Highland Laos freebies I got with the last order.

Do you still have those seeds? They sound cool

When you make seeds to continue a strain would you allow all the plants to flower and pollenate each or would you pick the best male and female and cross those?
I would open pollinate all plants except those that show obvious intersex tendencies for the initial seed increase then start selecting for specific traits.

Flowering Day 8.

Hey 420. We're at the beginning of the second week of flower so its time for an update. We will get the bad news out of the way first like we normally do....
DSC03525.JPG

That was a pick of the Balkh clone in the veg tent. Balls!

Here is the flowering Balkh. Clear as day now....
DSC03550.JPG
DSC03552.JPG

It is a shame but all is not lost. I can keep the indoor clone to possibly use in the future but this one will have to go. Goodbye Balkh....
DSC03548.JPG

That has put a dent in the tent. So we have gone from this....
DSC03526.JPG

To this....
DSC03527.JPG

And after a tactical shuffle, to this....
DSC03528.JPG

Continued....

Unknown Afghan #1.

This plant is quite impressive. It is growing low and wide and it looks like it is even beginning to show the first signs of flowers. The leaflets are becoming less broad as the plant grows as they started out quite wide. Big thumbs up so far....
DSC03529.JPG
DSC03530.JPG

Unknown Afghan #2.

I find this plant to be beautiful. Not as vigorous as the first bit the leaves are big and cover up what she is up to. The growth looks to be good and she is catching up quickly....
DSC03531.JPG
DSC03532.JPG

Pineapple Express #2.

See, Told ya she'd bounce back. In a couple weeks time after I've trimmed them all up you'll never know she was ill. She also has some triploid branches....
DSC03533.JPG
DSC03534.JPG

Tashkurghan.

This thing is growing a bit better now. Still no idea what gender it is. The new growth comes out all wrinkled but then looks better as the leaves get larger. It is a nice little plant and I wish I could have given it a better start....
DSC03535.JPG
DSC03536.JPG

Chocolatina x Chocolatina.

Very pretty and very squat. It has a clean appearance and is growing very well. I just hope I can get it to a good size before the end of the stretch. This one still hasn't given up the sex either....
DSC03537.JPG
DSC03538.JPG

Continued....

Unknown Fem #1.

I removed the largest 2 fan leaves and the dried and dead leaves from the bottom on both of the fems. They were both slightly stunted and the top part of the plant has had a head start so I removed the top 2 fans to slow them and allow more light to hit the lower part of the plant. It looks alright to me....
DSC03539.JPG
DSC03540.JPG

Unknown Fem #2.

This one is in a very similar situation to the other fem and has been treated the same way. This one also looks alright to me....
DSC03541.JPG
DSC03542.JPG

I seem to have gotten away with using my own soil mix this time. After all the bad luck I have been having recently I had plenty of doubts about going down this route. I have so much potting mix which I have been saving up it just seemed silly not to. The lime seems to have made a noticeable difference and all of the plants which are in lime buffered soil are doing better than the plants which are in soil mixed with just compost. My compost is a tiny bit too acidic as we found out. I have about a million pests but none seem to be causing much harm, at least at the moment. I found a large grasshopper on the Chocolatina earlier today lol. The gnats are still present but don't seem to be causing any problems. I will still be getting some perlite for topping pots in the future though.

More updates on the way....

The veg tent is doing well. Not much of any worth happening in here so we will move on....
DSC03547.JPG

I took some clones from the 2 unknown Afghan landraces. I decided that I would just take them while I could and not have to go through with re-vegging them if I really like what I end up with . These have been in the cloner for 3 days....
DSC03544.JPG

Time to go outside and check on the slurry fed plants....
DSC03557.JPG

The Balkh clone is growing totally differently to the indoor clone and mother. It is growing much faster and has healthier looking leaves but has no side growth. it is just growing straight up. It is also twice the size....
DSC03556.JPG

It was a windy day....
DSC03561.JPG

The Crumbled Lime is taking off now as well. Lots of little growth tips are appearing and she is starting to look healthy again. The nasty plant food seems to be doing a better job this time around though I have more than doubled the dose as I saw improvement in my tomatoes when I did that with them. I now feed them with 2 litres of anaerobic tea per 10 litres of water. It stinks!....
DSC03559.JPG
DSC03567.JPG

Finally we have a rare cloning success story from the Prof. You might remember the fully flowered Hoe Down clone in the Marmite jar which took 70+ days to produce white bumps. Well that died as soon as it hit soil. Bang! That wasn't the success I was speaking of lol. After I removed the clone from the jar I decided to put something else in there to see how a healthier veg plant would do. The only plant with any healthy growth which was large enough to clone was on the Miami Heat male. I took a cutting and placed it in the jar and today I checked on it for the first time and it has roots. Real roots and not just white bumps. It took 8 days lol....
DSC03568.JPG
DSC03569.JPG

Well that's all from me this evening. Hope you've all had fun and remember, happy growing everyone.

Seems I lied and that is in fact not all from me. I completely forgot that my new seeds arrived today. There was a nice surprise when I opened my package to find that I had been sent 12 Afghan seeds when I only ordered 5. So for about £11 plus £3 p+p I received the 5 seeds I ordered plus 31 seeds as a freebie. Not bad at all.

Here's what we have and will be seen grown out on here at some point in the future....
DSC03570.JPG
DSC03575.JPG

Afghan Mix.

These seeds are the result of someone combining 4 different bags of seeds during transport. Covid meant that the problem couldn't be rectified so the seeds are sold as mixed and at a discount. The seeds were collected from 4 places in northern Afghanistan which were Mazar-I-Shariff, Kunduz, Balkh and Badakshan. It is still very early days yet but I am really happy with the 2 which I have flowering so I'm looking forward to running these....
DSC03571.JPG

Highland Lao #2.

In a way you shouldn't get your hopes up about these. In another way you totally should. These are faulty beans which are being given away because they are too poor to sell. The problem is that the germination rate.
Here is what it say's about them.

"What exactly happened with these Highland Lao #2 seeds isn’t clear. Initially they tested at +90% germination. Mysteriously, a month later they were down to around 10% to 20% germination, both inside and outside Laos.
It should still be possible to get at least a couple of nice plants from them. The plants that do show are healthy and vigorous. This is an authentic Lao landrace from the main centre of “Thai” ganja production in Southeast Asia"

We'll plant them all and see what happens is what we'll do....
DSC03572.JPG

Kumaoni.

Another Himalayan charas plant to go with the Risoli's and Malana's. These are monsoon tolerant and could be just what I'm looking for to grow through the wet summer months in the UK. Eventually I want to cross an Afghan with one of the Sativa dominant Himalayans. All good fun....
DSC03573.JPG

Damn Prof that's a lot!! Sorry about the Balkh.

Unknown Afghan #2 is definitely my favourite.

And all those seeds! You'll be busy for awhile...

The leaflets are becoming less broad as the plant grows as they started out quite wide.

I was wondering about this. Why does it happen? This is happening on my plant and I wasn't sure if something was wrong!

Damn Prof that's a lot!! Sorry about the Balkh.

Unknown Afghan #2 is definitely my favourite.

And all those seeds! You'll be busy for awhile...

I was wondering about this. Why does it happen? This is happening on my plant and I wasn't sure if something was wrong!
Hey syenite. The Balkh is a shame because it was an interesting plant. It was also the current largest. For the next round we will be running confirmed females to prevent this happening again. I would have known already if it wasn't for the stunted growth caused by the rot.

UA #2 is my favourite as well, at least for now. #1 is starting to look pretty sexy lol.

I'm feeling overwhelmed with seeds at the moment. I have just noticed that there is actually 13 seeds in both the Highlands and the Kumaoni's and not 12.

Not sure why it happens but there is likely nothing wrong with your plant. Broad leaves are an indica trait but many landrace indica show both broad and narrow fingered leaves.

Back
Top Bottom