Rabbit's Big Leap - High Brix With Doc's Kit

Each plant takes up about 2 gallons. I water about 1/3 - 1/2 gallon on top to help top dressings work into soil. Also it makes watering faster. It takes at least 20 min per plant if I just let drench soak up to top of soil without top watering. Either way I leave plant in drench tub until it stops soaking up water.

During flower I started using less water to drench. My CBD Critical Cure is in 10 gallons of soil and I'm giving her 1.5 gallons per. She's fairly drought-resistant and goes a full five days without a sweat. I split that evenly between top and bottom, minus the 12 oz I steep the Tea in. That goes on last. I'm so anal about watering it's almost rediculous. I'll take all this time to get that water evenly distributed across the top because I don't want any part of the roots to feel neglected. :laughtwo:

You're an obsessive cannabis cultivator. You understand. :battingeyelashes: :love:

Hi Rabbit :goodjob: Can't wait to see how your buds finish. I have been looking more into LOS and trying to figure out how to do one myself.

I have a lot to learn and hope to follow in the footsteps of growers like yourself. :thumb:

Doc's kit makes it easy. I wanted to make my own LOS when I started first grow and got humbled quickly. So I switched to plain soil and FF nutes. It just never felt right. This is a much better fit, even makes up for having to grow indoors. And I keep learning more about plants and soil. Kit has removed a big headache and made this more fun again.
:Namaste:

Cat 2

Plants were ready for drench tonight. I used up the bottle giving 8 ml of cationic drench, 1/2 ml tea, plus another tablespoon of epsom for top dressing. Dance World soaked up 2 gal, the rest only 1.5. I've been thinking about what Sue wrote about using less water. I already mentioned that I tended to wait too long between waterings. So once again I'm going to try to keep watering sooner, before they need 2 gal. Tonight was a night earlier than I planned for 2nd drench, but Dance World couldn't wait another night. I think it was right on for the others.

I'll be honest, I have no idea if or how much they've swelled since last pics. My eyes are too tired to compare photos tonight. So here are tonight's photos, you be the judge.

Dance World, still the fullest. I'm continuing to thin slowly. Bonsai habit, one tiny snip at a time.
20170315_194044.jpg

Black Cherry Soda, holding on to her leaves, not getting any yellower.
20170315_194036.jpg

Blue Mystic, still losing leaves.
20170315_193949.jpg

Medical Mass #1, still the fattest.
20170315_193932.jpg

MdM #2, still the skinniest. Puzzling contrast.
20170315_193908.jpg

Mite Patrol

I haven't seen an adult mite since I can't remember, but these little buggers keep hanging on. I think that little black dot near center has legs. That's an older leaf so hard to tell if those are new eggs or old shells. I sprayed with neem again last night and it still seems to be keeping them at bay. At least they are few and little even for mites. Just need to hold out 4-5 weeks until I can do a total sweep of the tent.
20170316_183602.jpg

2 days later...

Just 2 days after 2nd cat drench and no doubt tonight that all 5 plants are responding. This is only end of week 4 since showing pistils for most, week 5 for BCS. Happy as that makes me I also noticed something to love about each one.

Dance World is a strain I almost didn't order because of the name. It sounded kind of gimmicky to me. But the specs were what I was looking for, a sativa dom with high 1:1 and vigorous grower. She's definitely living up to breeder's description (Royal Queen done good!) And the buds are both tall and full. Still the "It" girl this week.
20170317_183900.jpg
20170317_183842.jpg

Black Cherry Soda is a sea of buds, probably way more than I should have kept. In spite of that she's pumping up those buds, they're just a little shorter than I'd like.
20170317_183644.jpg

20170317_183633.jpg

20170317_183623.jpg

Blue Mystic is also pumping up her buds in spite of all the leaves she's lost. Another feature I've wanted to share for a while. You can see the tape where top branch broke. Not my fault! In veg her upward growth was strong enough against the screen to force branch into a deep U-bend until it snapped. I had a hell of a time straightening those branches back out. Good problem to have.
20170317_183500.jpg

20170317_183509.jpg

20170317_183413.jpg

Medical Mass #1 doesn't have the stretch of DW but still has the fattest buds. Other plants have 6-8 branches, MdM1 filled the screen with just 4. When harvest time comes I'll be showing off her branch structure, my best work so far.
20170317_183123.jpg

20170317_183140.jpg

Med Mass #2, well... buds are swelling but I don't think they'll fill in completely. She was the late substitute when I pulled K-train that stalled. She didn't have as much time to fill soil with roots and her trunk isn't quite as thick as others, but she surprised me with her stretch compared to #1 and she may surprise me again by harvest.
20170317_183023.jpg

20170317_183014.jpg

Hope your St Patty's Day was as green as mine!

A Couple Days Ahead of Schedule

Spring isn't officially here until tomorrow but in my outside garden it has already sprung with a vengeance!

Red Flowering Currants already blooming. Native roses leafing out. Perennials popping up and even a few more volunteers sprouting.
20170318_150453.jpg

This is what I went looking for, Golden Hops breaking soil. Still dwarfed by crocuses, soon they'll be climbing the dead trunk and filling its branches with life again.
20170318_150519.jpg

Construction Time Again

Today I finally rearranged the "walls" of the grow area and split tent into two separate areas for flower and veg.

First I moved the T5 fixture and veg plants into the small wing of what used to be part of the flower area. This is after moving the plastic to close off the flower area but before I finished hanging plastic to create the new veg tent. I have just enough room for plants now. I have at least 5 weeks before any of these can move to flower tent, so I'll need to prune back the big ones again soon. Going forward I'll have to plan my veg area more carefully to time development with openings in tent. No room for extra plants anymore. On the upside they will have better temps, which will make them develop faster, which adds to my need to plan better to avoid overcrowding. Also, my daughter finally got her archery range today. With the plants and fixture out of the way she has a 25' corridor for target practice.
20170319_141123.jpg

The new entrance to the flower tent is a tunnel between hanging plastic wall of each tent. I have a light-proof zipper to make a door, but for now it's fun using the tunnel. I'm sure by the time I actually have to move a plant it will get old.
20170319_141223_001.jpg

Inside the flower tent everything is the same on this end. Except I'm adding white plastic to cover the stone walls.
20170319_141343.jpg

Looking back at the other end the 'L' is gone. Just a plain and somewhat lumpy rectangle. When I get the zipper door installed I can straighten the plastic out and actually have some work space again. Best news is the temps during day are back up close to 80. With just 5 lights running in the full space it never got above low 70's. That should help plants finish stronger than the last round did.
20170319_141322.jpg

HB2 Final Tally

It's kind of sad and yet weirdly satifying to say Good Riddance to this pheno. Sad that I had such high hopes that didn't pan out. Satisfying in that I've matured as a grower able to focus on what's doing well and to let the rest go. Not every plant is a keeper with untapped potential. Sounds obvious, but the way my brain naturally thinks is to try to make everything work. Well, I've tried growing this one 3 times and I can finally say goodbye.

I actually forgot that I had this drying in downstairs bathroom so it got a little dry but not too bad. 105 grams after I stripped the last stem with its skinny buds, 3.5 oz. Not bad. Not great. Just in the bag waiting to become oil.
20170321_184254.jpg

The Where-I've-been-for-the-last-two-weeks Update

The date of my last post was also my last day working for my old company. The sale had been dragging on with complications for months with fire drills for updated reports at least once a week, so the last request didn't raise any concern. Then about noon the manager from new company walked in to welcome us on board. That was our notice that the deal had closed. It's a good deal for everyone and I've as much as I loved my old employer I've been looking forward to this deal closing. I just didn't really believe it was going to happen.

So we had about half a day to download all the files we could before connections we cut off. Then it was 3 days of orientation on new company's procedures and lots of scrubbing the transferred data to make it fit the new system, then 3 days of training in my new role. Basically my old job has been chopped up into several pieces and spread across several departments. It's nice to have a lot more support for what I do, but having trouble with which parts I still do and which I get from others. It's a good challenge to test my brain, to jolt me out of the recovery rut I was in and get me focused on a future when I'm healed.

The abrupt changes aren't as hard to deal with as the idea of having a future. Forgive for being a little dramatic here, but when I got that proverbial prognosis my future vanished completely. Even with all that I've learned and actually seeing the cannabis work the way I expected it to I don't trust that I actually have control of my cancer. What future I was able to see looked pretty much like the present. I'm definitely not back to 100% in body or mind, but it's time for me to start seeing myself as healed and not stuck in recovery. So that's what I've been doing for the last 2 weeks. Not so much with conscious decisions but more through lots of little 'aha!' moments. Kind of ironic that an event that made my future even more uncertain is bringing about more clarity.

Leaving on a Jet Plane

From a week ago, March 26th, day before I flew to San Francisco for training.

New idea for getting at those mites. No the picture isn't sideways, the plant is. It's really hard to spray from under the screen so I finally got the bright idea to lay plants sideways for easier access to underside of leaves. Seems obvious now. Only a little dirt fell out, easy to scoop up and replace. Gave one final heavy spray of neem before starting release of ladybugs to control mites from now on. Then a thorough drench to keep plants happy until I returned.
20170326_085758.jpg

Can't see a thing with naked eyes, but I managed to get one clear shot of what underside of most leaves looks like. Lots of eggs, a few larvae and occasionally a mature mite.
20170326_085945.jpg

You can see plenty of white spots from ongoing attacks. Still enough green to keep fattening the buds on Dance World.
20170326_090206.jpg

Black Cherry Soda at 6 weeks in photo last Sunday. She's done great job holding on to her leaves since I upped her feedings. The yellow ones are slowly falling off but not before she's sucked all the nutrients out of them.
20170326_090752.jpg

Buds are short but getting fuller and denser. Almost time to start checking trichs.
20170326_090800.jpg

Blue Mystic at 5 weeks. Also hanging on to leaves after losing a lot early in flower.
20170326_093159.jpg

Not seeing any blue. Hmmm...
20170326_093148.jpg

Medical Mass #2, the skinny one.
20170326_094411.jpg
20170326_094433.jpg

Medical Mass #1. It's getting harder to tell difference just by buds (except for MdM2). Others have been catching up in size since Cat drenches.
20170326_095515.jpg
20170326_095449.jpg

Group photo just before lights out, with the off-brand super heroes in position to stand guard while I'm away. Metalman should be bright orange under the blurple lights but I don't see him. Should be on MdM1 in back corner. Oy!
20170326_102042.jpg

Early next morning, right about time for lights on. Everything was fine when I got back so Metalman is forgiven.
20170327_065310.jpg

The date of my last post was also my last day working for my old company. The sale had been dragging on with complications for months with fire drills for updated reports at least once a week, so the last request didn't raise any concern. Then about noon the manager from new company walked in to welcome us on board. That was our notice that the deal had closed. It's a good deal for everyone and I've as much as I loved my old employer I've been looking forward to this deal closing. I just didn't really believe it was going to happen.

So we had about half a day to download all the files we could before connections we cut off. Then it was 3 days of orientation on new company's procedures and lots of scrubbing the transferred data to make it fit the new system, then 3 days of training in my new role. Basically my old job has been chopped up into several pieces and spread across several departments. It's nice to have a lot more support for what I do, but having trouble with which parts I still do and which I get from others. It's a good challenge to test my brain, to jolt me out of the recovery rut I was in and get me focused on a future when I'm healed.

The abrupt changes aren't as hard to deal with as the idea of having a future. Forgive for being a little dramatic here, but when I got that proverbial prognosis my future vanished completely. Even with all that I've learned and actually seeing the cannabis work the way I expected it to I don't trust that I actually have control of my cancer. What future I was able to see looked pretty much like the present. I'm definitely not back to 100% in body or mind, but it's time for me to start seeing myself as healed and not stuck in recovery. So that's what I've been doing for the last 2 weeks. Not so much with conscious decisions but more through lots of little 'aha!' moments. Kind of ironic that an event that made my future even more uncertain is bringing about more clarity.

So is it safe to say now that your Cancer is in remission? This post is huuuuge for you. Seeing a future that you couldn't see before. I was like that with my diagnosis, my future was gone, until I started growing. But for you, you're a massive inspiration for me because you never stopped healing yourself. AAAND, you never stopped working, in and out of the garden. Your quest for healing and turning your medical around makes me feel there is hope for me. This is such a milestone for you, I can't help but want to give you a big 420 hug.

On a side note...I want to do archery with your daughter, sounds uber cool. Looks like "hitting targets" is a special skill that runs in the family. Congrowulations for taking yourself off the critical list. :love:

Leaving on a Jet Plane

From a week ago, March 26th, day before I flew to San Francisco for training.
420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/20170326_102042.jpg[/img]

Early next morning, right about time for lights on. Everything was fine when I got back so Metalman is forgiven.
20170327_065310.jpg

Looks like you're going places KR!

Spring time after winter. For you as for the Northern half of the planet.

This is a propitious time for the you that was curled up inside for safety to sprout and embrace your future.

That Dance World sure looked mite infested. Tough to leave a grow when you have mites. I did it once 2? years ago Christmas. 8 days gone, By 4 days back the mites were back under a short leash and leaving most of my leaves alone. It's not optimum - but you can deal.

Back
Top Bottom