Radogast's 2018 Basement Adventure

Congrats on your harvest and good to see that soil ... I'm thinking your plants will be loving you soon enough.

You got mail... I sent you a new hair brush and some Horsetail Fern to brush with it. :rofl: :goodluck:

I started brushing the horsetail fern (it's a HORSE TAIL, so it needs brushing) dang brush fell apart and seeds fell out and 4 of them dropped into water. Seems a shame to wast good seeds, so I plan to put some soil in a pot, get it all wet and plant the seeds.

I'll take photos when that happens :)

I am laughing at myself. I was cleaning out a closet yesterday. I found 2 dried out buds in a zip lock box all wrapped in a plastic shopping bag. It looks like they might smoke. I dunno when I stashed them away, no memory at all. I got to stop hiding buds around the apartment.
:ciao:

The wife and I were leaving a barber shop yesterday (don't worry, no hair was injured in this story) and there was a 5 year old girl running up and down the steps, so she says "Come on Santa!" and that little girl's eyes got real big. --- which is all to say, finding a hidden stash is like Christmas, and you just has Christmas in Winter!

Sounds like something for some oil! Though might be interesting to give it a try and see if you can figure out what it was!

The family is down to just "head nugs" and my wife says "I found one," and pulls out a pasta jar with a 10" cola - unlabelled. Smokes nice and no one cares what it is - just glad to have smoke.

It's been 4 days since the Carnival harvest. The two hempy in the flower room are going to produce about half an ounce - which is about 4 ounces less than I planned.

I've got nothing ready to go into flower for a couple of weeks. The family is going to have to go on rations. None of this oz a week smoking until the grow starts flowing again. The boy has college finals next week. I'll wait until his finals are done to mention it to him :)

A quick trip to the Veg Area

Today was planting day for two Devil's Tit seeds that soaked in water for 48 hours and cracked open last night.

The first step was to punch holes in the plastic pots for my tags and add soil. I also punched holes in the plastic pots that have clones in them

20180212_101025-1.jpg

Back in Massachusetts, a couple of the teenage boys cracked up everytime they saw my hole punch on the shelf

20180212_101224.jpg

Deep Throat Metal Punch sounds like a great name for a screamer band.

After I punched holes in a half dozen pots, 3 of them holding plants, I started thinking. This is not the first time I have used 1 gallon pots or metal tags. Why don't my 1 gallon pots already have holes in them? I went and found my stack of previously punched 1 gallon pots and transfered soil from one and one half of the plastic pots. My 3 HiBrix clones are in 2/3 gallon pots, not 1 gallon pots.

I made a divot in a 1 gallon pot to plant a freshly cracked seed

20180212_103037-1.jpg

The First Devil's Tit Seed (daughter of DT #6) was hoisted from the water using a precision hydaulic vacuum device (a 1ml bulb syringe.)

20180212_103217-1.jpg

Doesn't she have a lovely crack? No tail for this girl yet. Admiring the photo I realised, I forgot to add Roots!

The second Devil's Tit Seed (daughter of DT #6) has a tiny crack, but you can't see it. I remembered the Roots! this time.

20180212_104259-1.jpg

A quick tour of Veg

3 clones in perlite hempy. (Guawi, Lilly, and Haze x Kali China)

20180212_105617-1.jpg

3 clones in HiBrix soil transplanted from hempy (Guawi, Lilly, and Haze x Kali China) + 2 newly planted DT #6 seeds

20180212_105623-1.jpg

All 6 of these clones are about 2 months old. My veg Area is currently heated to 70F at night but is only 72F with lights on. Growth is slow.

2 larger clones in Hempy. Carnival in bucket(left), and Guawi in PVC (right). They both look better than they did 2 weeks ago.

20180212_105632-1.jpg

2 larger clones in 7-gallon HiBrix. Lilly reveg clone (left) and Carnival (right.)

Lilly is neither better or worse looking than 3 weeks ago. A couple of days ago, I pruned about 1/3 of her branches. Watching to see what happens.

20180212_105641-1.jpg

I was reading Doc Bud on another thread (Weenmeoff's?) and he was emphatic that if one vegges in finish sized pots it will take extra earthworm castings and ReCharge amendment to freshen the soil in flower. In previous posts, Doc has said he does not transplant until moving into flower. This time it finally sunk in why he does it that way. I'm going to try to stay in 1 gallon HiBrix as long as I can. The 2/3 gallon HiBrix might go into 1.5 gallon pots in late veg before flowering in 7 gallon pots.

A look at the veg area. It's not rocking it, but they are growing again :)

20180212_105609-1.jpg

Hey Rad! Is the carnival dry yet? What did ya get for a final weight? My current 3 plants, seeds were planted directly in the #1's and 3 of 4 planted came up in 3 days! Man was I happy with that! My plan is to veg for 3 weeks n the #15's unless the tent fills up before that, then it's flip time. I cannot imagine I'll need to add EWC and recharge more than once.

:passitleft:

Hey Rad! Is the carnival dry yet? What did ya get for a final weight? My current 3 plants, seeds were planted directly in the #1's and 3 of 4 planted came up in 3 days! Man was I happy with that! My plan is to veg for 3 weeks n the #15's unless the tent fills up before that, then it's flip time. I cannot imagine I'll need to add EWC and recharge more than once.

:passitleft:

It wasn't dry yesterday. It might be dry tomorrow. :)

A #15 shold have plenty of ooomph, especially with only 3 weeks of veg before flip - If not, folks like Duggan and Doc will set you straight !

The issue I have with planting directly in soil, is the not knowing. If these seeds don't come up in 4 days, I'll know they just don't want to grow. In soil, I've had them come up 14 days late.

I’m loving that seed lifting technique you have going there Rad! I’m absolutely adopting that one. :love:

I got tired of chasing around seeds stuck to the side of a glass. As the seeds sink to the bottom of the glass, you can give them a little poof of water to move them away from the sides, keep the bulb pushed in and then suck them up against the little syringe.

It works well for me. I hope it works for you!

Nice recovery. Things have definitely shifted into a positive direction there. That Lilly just might make something of herself.

At this rate, Lilly's clones may be ready at the same time as Lilly. The genetics will produce again.

Carnival dried and weighed today

82g (just under 3 oz) for 77 days of flower. I'm glad to have it, running low :)

20180213_112021-1.jpg

I tried for a neutral background, but a couple of bongs snuck in. teehee. How embarassing :loopy:

20180213_111917-1.jpg

Nice Carnival harvest! Hear its a fantastic smoke....will be trying it this year, sooner rather than later!

I’m loving that seed lifting technique you have going there Rad! I’m absolutely adopting that one. :love:
:high-five:
I got tired of chasing around seeds stuck to the side of a glass. As the seeds sink to the bottom of the glass, you can give them a little poof of water to move them away from the sides, keep the bulb pushed in and then suck them up against the little syringe.

It works well for me. I hope it works for you!

I have to try to remember this I have old plastic syringes from my cats medicine. it looks like a great technique!:thumb:

When Hempies go blaaaahp

This post is an object lesson about bad choices.

Prior to going hempy, I was running a perpetual in soil. I had some issues but my flower area was holding 3 or 4 plants at any one time and yielding an average of 2.5 oz per plant. Because of winter cold, and the weakness of 'cooking' recyced soil in 7 gallon batches, I jumped both feet in to growing in hempy.

Error #1: I lowered PH from my 6.5 RO water
Error #2: When the plants were not thriving in late veg, I tried to 'fix' them in flower
Result: My flow of plants into flower ground to a halt and I only have 2 wimpy plants in flower.

Wimpy plant #1, Ace Haze x Kali China, at 72 days - Her mother did 98 grams in 71 days.

20180216_092251-1.jpg

Buds are cloudy, no amber and starting to foxtail. I estimate 18 grams. I'll give her another week.

20180216_092308-1.jpg

Wimpy plant #2, Ace Guawi, at 60 days - Her mother did 98 grams in 93 days. - I estimate 5 grams.

20180216_092412-1.jpg

The hope of the next generation

One gallon clones getting their HiBrix foliar spray

20180214_101833.jpg

Devil's Tit seedling (DT #6) popping through the soil today

20180216_093003-1.jpg

I see a lot of that Potassium deficiency in hempy. My grow included. I think it's a salt build up thing? Idk I am really liking the coco perlite mix no hempy currently. Ya gotta do what works for ya rad, and it looks like your soil grows are killing it.

Good to see the DT made it.... they are always very vigorous, clones and seeds.

Soil FTW... I up-pot at flip and add amendments and EWC enough to get to the end and fresh mycos.

Looks like the last harvest will be dry just it time!

Ooh Sir Radogast - your Brixy beauties are looking quite good aren’t they. Nice to see the soil doing its thing for you. :love:

So funny, lately, every time I type ‘soil’, it auto-corrects to ‘soul’!

:Namaste:

I'm hearing the Blues Brother's Theme song - I'm a Soul Man --do-do-doot-do-do-doobie Soul Man - Bada- ba-baddam

Ooh Sir Radogast - your Brixy beauties are looking quite good aren’t they. Nice to see the soil doing its thing for you. :love:

So funny, lately, every time I type ‘soil’, it auto-corrects to ‘soul’!

:Namaste:
Thats better than my cell phone always wanting to auto correct my "ATF" strain to "STD" every time I type it. I mean really, is that such a common topic that it assumes I meant STD instead of ATF?

Back
Top Bottom