Journal Update

Day 31

Tent temp: 25C
Tent RH%: ~40-80% (swings, but mainly on low side)
Previous PPM: 956 PPM
Current PPM: 970 PPM ( slight rise)
Adjusted PPM to: 987 PPM (from PH up)
PH: 6.3 (adjusted to 5.8)
Res temp: 20.2C
Water level: hard to tell if there was a drop.

So....possibly signs of a pest have been found. There's a few leaves on the Bruce Banner Auto with small holes in them. I noticed them previously, but haven't been able to decide if the rough I-beam® training had contributed to it. The leaves on all of them are becoming massive, and when moving them around to leaf tuck, tears can happen. Just out of an abundance of caution, and since they're not in flower yet anyways....I applied some Safers 3 in 1. It's all I've got for pest management at the moment, and good old cinnamon powder (which I'm not sure how well it works, but I love the smell of it, so it's spread around the garage and inside the tent).
I did a res change yesterday and used a combo (70% grow, 30% bloom) for the base PPM. This of course was added after
I had added 180PPM of calimagic.

I brought the PPM of the solution down a bit as well, and will start ramping it up again as they eat through it. There was a slight rise in the PPM this morning, however, I'm of the belief that it was caused by residual nutrient solution that was in the buckets. I'll keep an eye on it and will know by this evening if it's something that needs to be adjusted. Another rise will tell me loud and clear that they're not taking to it.

The decision to wait and top the Somango a bit later has already shown it was prudent, as she hasn't lost a step and is showing some great growth. While we like to say things like "top no later then day 21" the reality is, plants don't follow a calendar- even autos (well to a degree). They all grow at their own rate, and day 18 for some is the equivalent to day 11 for others.

So my humidity has not been something I'm happy with, I had no choice but to put my dehumidifier in the house basement. Hopefully I'll get a new one for the Tent soon.
i got quite the surprise when I looked at the Bruce Banner's stem today. Aside from the size of the stem for a plant that has only been topside for 31 days, well...you'll see in the picture ;) :cheesygrinsmiley:

And speaking of pictures, here they are!

#ViparSpectra P4000

Journal Update

Day 31

So....possibly signs of a pest have been found. There's a few leaves on the Bruce Banner Auto with small holes in them. I noticed them previously, but haven't been able to decide if the rough I-beam® training had contributed to it. The leaves on all of them are becoming massive, and when moving them around to leaf tuck, tears can happen. Just out of an abundance of caution, and since they're not in flower yet anyways....I applied some Safers 3 in 1. It's all I've got for pest management at the moment, and good old cinnamon powder (which I'm not sure how well it works, but I love the smell of it, so it's spread around the garage and inside the tent).
I did a res change yesterday and used a combo (70% grow, 30% bloom) for the base PPM. This of course was added after

I brought the PPM of the solution down a bit as well, and will start ramping it up again as they eat through it. There was a slight rise in the PPM this morning, however, I'm of the belief that it was caused by residual nutrient solution that was in the buckets. I'll keep an eye on it and will know by this evening if it's something that needs to be adjusted. Another rise will tell me loud and clear that they're not taking to it.

The decision to wait and top the Somango a bit later has already shown it was prudent, as she hasn't lost a step and is showing some great growth. While we like to say things like "top no later then day 21" the reality is, plants don't follow a calendar- even autos (well to a degree). They all grow at their own rate, and day 18 for some is the equivalent to day 11 for others.

So my humidity has not been something I'm happy with, I had no choice but to put my dehumidifier in the house basement. Hopefully I'll get a new one for the Tent soon.
i got quite the surprise when I looked at the Bruce Banner's stem today. Aside from the size of the stem for a plant that has only been topside for 31 days, well...you'll see in the picture ;) :cheesygrinsmiley:

#ViparSpectra P4000
Nice healthy looking ladies.
Great work Amigo
Stay safe.
Bill

I would think if it were bugs that you'd see it showing up in many more places, unless you caught it super early. Maybe have a look under and around the damaged leaves and see if you can find any little bastards.

They're looking great otherwise! :goodjob:

Thanks!
I've seriously wondered if the grow bag screens doubled up would work good. It might at the least slow the growth for a bit.
Have you had any thoughts on materials?
I've got some stuff that will work, but it's a kinda hard to locate material used in manufacturing, so I can't really help much.
13552472-EB1F-41E9-861C-56C984B32AED.jpeg
Perpetual Grow under a P4000 #ViparSpectra P4000

88B85A10-952B-4F88-A217-5A0BD5B3E245.jpeg

0A88953F-B0F4-401A-AFF9-797C5BA802AD.jpeg

B365A689-F7B4-452D-BB1C-F5DB1D35FE09.jpeg

D7355BEC-2F5E-4986-9D6F-7B757EFD5F37.jpeg

8A2CC66C-78DA-4045-B101-7C94103A8496.jpeg

901F0CFE-7146-4058-9D37-D238B79DBD5C.jpeg

EA9BF1D6-A1AE-4ADA-8272-12D0098201F8.jpeg

97BE395B-2816-40E3-9A3E-FC2453BAFE9F.jpeg

Journal Update

Day 31

#ViparSpectra P4000
Wow, VERY green. Nice job! Hey on that cinnamon, it's a fungus gnat deterrent, and it works best if you sprinkle it all around the plant. In soil it goes on the soil. Fungus gnats will still emerge through it, but it'll take out some there, and the ones that fly HATE it, so they won't keep laying eggs. I used it in my first grow and it worked. Nice. How you adapt it to your situation I have no idea!

If the holes in the top pic were caused by a pest, it's not a pest that the Safers will kill. Unless you have crickets, caterpillars, or grasshoppers, that's probably mechanical damage.

And with the bottom pic I got to see some roots after all. :thanks:
Thanks Shed! Crickets were actually a concern, I know there's at least one hiding in the garage...I'm sure there are others. I'll stop the Safers and keep an eye out.

I like the "mechanical damage " part- so much nicer then saying: "ya, it's not bugs- it's you " :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Never thought I'd say this, but hopefully Vinni comes back

Nice healthy looking ladies.
Great work Amigo
Stay safe.
Bill
Thanks Bill! Hope that storm last night didn't cause you any headaches to deal with
I would think if it were bugs that you'd see it showing up in many more places, unless you caught it super early. Maybe have a look under and around the damaged leaves and see if you can find any little bastards.

They're looking great otherwise! :goodjob:
Thanks Azi! (Is that cool? I used to have a buddy named Azzi)
I did notice today a few tiny holes in some of the other plants, but Im certain those were mechanical damage
Perpetual Grow under a P4000 #ViparSpectra P4000
Looking Beautiful!

Wow, VERY green. Nice job! Hey on that cinnamon, it's a fungus gnat deterrent, and it works best if you sprinkle it all around the plant. In soil it goes on the soil. Fungus gnats will still emerge through it, but it'll take out some there, and the ones that fly HATE it, so they won't keep laying eggs. I used it in my first grow and it worked. Nice. How you adapt it to your situation I have no idea!
Thanks Jon!
The cinnamon is on the garage floor, the tent floor and a few sprinkles on the bucket edges.
Makes me hungry and want cinnabuns :rofl:

So folks, it's that time again!

Journal Update

Day 33

Tent RH%: ~40-70% (swings, but mainly on low side)
Previous PPM: 993 PPM
Current PPM: 975 PPM (drop)
Adjusted PPM to: 1004 PPM (from PH up)
PH: 6.1 (adjusted to 5.8)
Res temp: 20.6C
Water level: they're guzzling

So a few small things. I've noticed a few small holes, once again wondering if I di mechanical damage is to blame.

A change in my PH down brand. I really love the Cyco brand, but I needed a new bottle and had to get what was in the budget. Technaflora PH down is what I picked up. After a few usages I already miss the Cyco. Seemed to take less to drop the PH, even after several years of use and being open.

The plants have been drinking well, and there's been a nice drop in the reservoir since the last update.

Some of the I-beams® has been removed, as it's time to, they're getting bigger.

Each stem right now is roughly 1/2 inch diameter.

Both the plants and I are loving the @ViparSpectra P4000

Do you have a loupe/magnifier? I'd scope out the underside of that leaf because that doesn't look mechanical. The rip looks mechanical!

Have you considered battery acid for pH down? I know that FelipeBlu recommends it. It's really cheap at most auto parts stores and doesn't take much to move the needle.

Plants look happy, holes or no!
Hey Shed, thank you brother

I'll take out the scope tomorrow when I check them, just don't have the wind in me to get back out there tonight.

I remember some of the battery acid conversations you had with PK1 awhile back. Might just happen, there's an auto parts store not too far that I can ask- I'll keep using this for the moment, pending cash and impatience with the new one.

So folks, it's that time again!

Journal Update

Day 33

Tent RH%: ~40-70% (swings, but mainly on low side)
Previous PPM: 993 PPM
Current PPM: 975 PPM (drop)
Adjusted PPM to: 1004 PPM (from PH up)
PH: 6.1 (adjusted to 5.8)
Res temp: 20.6C
Water level: they're guzzling

So a few small things. I've noticed a few small holes, once again wondering if I di mechanical damage is to blame.

A change in my PH down brand. I really love the Cyco brand, but I needed a new bottle and had to get what was in the budget. Technaflora PH down is what I picked up. After a few usages I already miss the Cyco. Seemed to take less to drop the PH, even after several years of use and being open.

The plants have been drinking well, and there's been a nice drop in the reservoir since the last update.

Some of the I-beams® has been removed, as it's time to, they're getting bigger.

Each stem right now is roughly 1/2 inch diameter.

Both the plants and I are loving the @ViparSpectra P4000

Good lord those girls have become beasts. The fan leaves are incredible on all of them. I can't wait til you teach me hyrdro man. That is incredible growth for this point in an auto cycle. It just destroys soil in terms of the size you get at the same point. I can grow all the cool, well trained, healthy plants I want in soil, but I haven't gotten that kind of growth from one at day 33. At least not anything that has leaves like that. I'm also wondering if maybe autos take longer to go to flower in hydro vs. soil? Cuz on Day 33 I have yet to not have an auto start showing preflowers, and those look like they're just casually languishing by the pool on vacation!! Wow. I'm getting psyched for our thing watching these girls grow. Love the color too. Superb health. And finally a shot of the whole tent! That rig is so futuristic looking it's wild. Is that like an outflow/drainage hose in the back middle?

Great work man.

Good lord those girls have become beasts. The fan leaves are incredible on all of them. I can't wait til you teach me hyrdro man. That is incredible growth for this point in an auto cycle. It just destroys soil in terms of the size you get at the same point. I can grow all the cool, well trained, healthy plants I want in soil, but I haven't gotten that kind of growth from one at day 33. At least not anything that has leaves like that. I'm also wondering if maybe autos take longer to go to flower in hydro vs. soil? Cuz on Day 33 I have yet to not have an auto start showing preflowers, and those look like they're just casually languishing by the pool on vacation!! Wow. I'm getting psyched for our thing watching these girls grow. Love the color too. Superb health. And finally a shot of the whole tent! That rig is so futuristic looking it's wild. Is that like an outflow/drainage hose in the back middle?

Great work man.

Good questions Jon, thank you!
The truth is, and this is based upon my limited experience and this post. By only taking the odd leaf, 1 or max 2 per day (per plant), along with the training it delays the time of when it starts to enter the flowering phase. Call it Auto Stress Management
Whenever I do remove a leaf, it's always one on the inner part of the node/branch, never outter. This opens up the bud sites, and prompts the plant to keep those veg hormones going. Right now I've taken the leaves on some of the smaller future bud sites and used them to cover the larger. This will divert the energy to those smaller branches, requires no leaf removal and helps bring the lower branches up to help make a more even canopy (I know you know a lot of that already, but I thought I'd throw that out there). If you look through some of my other journals, this is in line with my average for flowering phase. The fact that I'm using 10 gallon buckets also furthers the veg time (I think...jury is still out on that one).
Oh and I really should also have pointed out to everyone is that it's Day 33 since right after germination...not yet a true 33 days of veg. And West Hippie's currently making mine look like they're growing super slowly :rofl:
The black thing upside down, front left is a tower fan, that does bursts and oscillates.
The giant leaves, I've never had any this size....I dunno but stretch is going to be fun. Seriously, I look forward to it, it's one of my favorite parts of a grow...now that I have space (vertically) I'm enjoying it even more.

I think with your passion, and your attention to details, you'll love hydro. It's intimidating to start, but offers so many things. If you ever want to see something really interesting, look up the Kratky method. Youll learn surprising things about root growth. I've grown full heads of yummy lettuce in Mason jars, no airstones. Then i did the same one year outside with squash, zucchini, and tomatoes (that died in a wind storm) using large plastic totes, just water with nutes, and ph'd. Tasted great and was a super easy fun way to get a feel for hydro and mixing my nutes. I have hopes to try (maybe next summer) one for a nice Auto using a 50 gallon barrel- just for giggles.

Sorry for the two day in a row update folks. But I went out and checked the underside of the leaves- no signs of pests. I took a slew of photos- only a small portion saved to the phone, and a smaller portion was good enough quality to share. I placed my small clip on fan to the Somango bucket and have it positioned to give a bit more airflow to her for now.

They're all still on track. I raised the light slightly today to help encourage a bit more vertical growth. Forgot to take the measurements:lot-o-toke:. I also changed out the Nutes for a fresher batch. A bit heavier on the Bloom nutes vs the Grow. The nice part with this line of nutes is that the Bloom nutes alone at 8ml/gallon (Lucas Formula) is enough to provide what's needed at a basic level for the entirety of the grow. And with a fairly decent job at that.

Thanks and hope you all have a good weekend!

That one pic of the underside...what is that? It doesn't look like it's a hole or hole-adjacent.
No clue what it is, my first thought and fear is fungal
:eek:
. But it might be early to say? It was a somewhat darker spot, so I thought I'd take a closer look to see what it was using the microscope. It was on one of the Somango leaves.

Still baffled. I'll keep an eye, the only thing I have on hand is the safers 3 in 1.
He's also pumping in the CO2! He's not playing fair. :)
Looks like dark magic to me :rofl:

Sorry for the two day in a row update folks. But I went out and checked the underside of the leaves- no signs of pests. I took a slew of photos- only a small portion saved to the phone, and a smaller portion was good enough quality to share. I placed my small clip on fan to the Somango bucket and have it positioned to give a bit more airflow to her for now.

They're all still on track. I raised the light slightly today to help encourage a bit more vertical growth. Forgot to take the measurements:lot-o-toke:. I also changed out the Nutes for a fresher batch. A bit heavier on the Bloom nutes vs the Grow. The nice part with this line of nutes is that the Bloom nutes alone at 8ml/gallon (Lucas Formula) is enough to provide what's needed at a basic level for the entirety of the grow. And with a fairly decent job at that.

Thanks and hope you all have a good weekend!
I didn’t want to see any bugs , are there just a few pluck them . I have DE powder all the way round the room to stop entry by these ants . While the ants help these spider mites get to there locations.
That one pic of the underside...what is that? It doesn't look like it's a hole or hole-adjacent.

He's also pumping in the CO2! He's not playing fair. :)
I’ve had the CO2 on the girls since they were in the cloner. They stayed trikes till we know when :peace:

Back
Top Bottom