Votes: 32 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 46 59.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for addressing it in full

What has changed? Why is this a concern now all of a sudden? You had a rep system and did away with it, why bring it back? What is the actual problem we are trying to address? If you want to create liability for yourself then be my guest. Putting reps and tags on people is only going to make your job that much more prone to attacks from Ill informed people. I’m concerned you’re going to open yourself up to an avenue of attack you’re not seeing. When you place individuals in to positions of authority you’re opening yourself up to both a user attack and run the risk of a backstabber. I don’t think this is gonna work the way you envision it.

I like @VetSmoke85 idea of reps being based on the answer not the user
Yes, we had one before with the previous forum software. When we migrated to this new software, there was no rep system for it at the time. Now someone has developed one, so we're looking into it to see if it will work. Normally I'd just install and activate it and send out a notice advising everyone. However, I'm trying to give you all a chance to be involved in the process, and hopefully change some minds with our reasoning too, before moving forward. Also want to be sure we won't have another revolution against us, if we do activate it.

Why did I wait so long, because me and my admin/mod team have spent the last 3 years working 18 hours a day 7 days a week fixing things on the site and have been trapped in the mod pit dealing with trolls and troublemakers.

What is the problem I'm trying to address, think I've explained that pretty well thus far.

Can you please be more specific and give me a scenario where this would be used against us?

This is what I'm trying to get to, so if we can please focus on the logistics and not my picking apart my words and assuming i'm upset lol then we can get somewhere.

You wanna go hardcore? Then you devote a section to such topics and forum members have to apply to be posters that can answer. Even more hardcore is turn it into a hierarchy like a mobile game. R5 are mods of subsections..teddy, um..you.. R4s are elected senior super smart vetted growers..staff members but devoted to that elite section...R3 are your first true civilian forum grower that gets voted in by a private room of R5s,R4s...if they get approved as posters to help newbs in that super elite forum, they can 'recommend' another grower for consideration to be a poster in said devoted forum.
Don't do rep...i enjoy this topic but dont do rep
Mudballs you a Gow'er?

Yes, we had one before with the previous forum software. When we migrated to this new software, there was no rep system for it at the time. Now someone has developed one, so we're looking into it to see if it will work. Normally I'd just install and activate it and send out a notice advising everyone. However, I'm trying to give you all a chance to be involved in the process, and hopefully change some minds with our reasoning too, before moving forward. Also want to be sure we won't have another revolution against us, if we do activate it.

Why did I wait so long, because me and my admin/mod team have spent the last 3 years working 18 hours a day 7 days a week fixing things on the site and have been trapped in the mod pit dealing with trolls and troublemakers.

What is the problem I'm trying to address, think I've explained that pretty well thus far.

Can you please be more specific and give me a scenario where this would be used against us?

This is what I'm trying to get to, so if we can please focus on the logistics and not my picking apart my words and assuming i'm upset lol then we can get somewhere.
I think the main issue here is it’s all text you aren’t face to face so emotion is taken way out of context I think it’s safe to say everyone is passionate over this master piece you have created

I never ever once barked at you. You got upset, or at least thats the general perception, and told me to tap out. Its ok tho... I reported 420 to 420 lol. Thats a joke btw.... I actually admitted I had missed the point. I do see your point now tho, and Im being serious now. We have obviously only read what we thought was the jist, and if that was advice instead of a convo misinterpetted by both sides a plant would die. I get that. Again, Im not sure how to fix that, its not a 420 thing its a texting thing.
How do you know if someone is upset, if they tell you to tap out if this is going nowhere for you? :hmmmm:

I've got Asperger's which puts me on the autistic spectrum, everything is based on logic and facts for me.

Everything you are assuming in your mind about me and how I feel, is just that, an assumption.

I haven't gotten upset once, maybe irritated but not angry.

I don't candy coat stuff or walk on eggshells, I'm here to solve problems and create solutions, nothing more.

Glad to see you getting on the same page, we're all ears for any positive, productive ideas or solutions.

You wanna go hardcore? Then you devote a section to such topics and forum members have to apply to be posters that can answer. Even more hardcore is turn it into a hierarchy like a mobile game. R5 are mods of subsections..teddy, um..you.. R4s are elected senior super smart vetted growers..staff members but devoted to that elite section...R3 are your first true civilian forum grower that gets voted in by a private room of R5s,R4s...if they get approved as posters to help newbs in that super elite forum, they can 'recommend' another grower for consideration to be a poster in said devoted forum.
Don't do rep...i enjoy this topic but dont do rep
Nobody said anything about going hardcore.

We just want a simple solution to this age old problem, your suggestion seems far outside of our realm.

I think the main issue here is it’s all text you aren’t face to face so emotion is taken way out of context I think it’s safe to say everyone is passionate over this master piece you have created
Good point, so with that said, let's steer clear of assuming emotions anymore and focus on solving the problem instead of psycho analysing everything I say. We'll get a lot more done, a lot faster and efficiently.

Ok you’ve answered the majority of my thoughts and concerns, and have explained your thought process much more explicitly. The definitive source and not wanting cross referencing drove what you’re attempting home.

That leaves my biggest concern. Liability. I can’t speak for everyone but I don’t want to see you and your team get smoked in real life because someone’s too foolish to do their own verifying. I feel like the more you attempt to legitimize the site into a definitive resource for growing the more you’re opening yourself up to real world repercussions when Johnny B Dumb burns his house down because he couldn’t be bothered to read the advice in full. Or when Cartel Keith gets popped for something stupid and illegal and starts pointing fingers at your authorities.

I am inherently suspicious of authority as I think most of us are. I am instantly put on the defensive when I see us attempting to move from info and entertainment to a “legitimate” resource. Perhaps it’s all the years and tears of illegality that has instilled this fear in me. What you’re attempting to accomplish is literally history in the making.

That leaves backstabbers.. Someone put into a position of trust based on rep who decides they feel they could do everything better, similar to the revolution you were referring to. I don’t trust anyone except my family and I certainly don’t trust people on the internet. I’m sure you’ve seen how it only takes a little disagreement between “partners” and next thing you know livelihoods are being destroyed.

The path to hell is paved with good intentions. What may seem like an innocuous idea like gold stars or reps could easily turn into something none of us could’ve seen, although I have a feeling you understand that.

It’s only out of love for this community and what I’ve gained here that I feel so passionately about it.

Ok you’ve answered the majority of my thoughts and concerns, and have explained your thought process much more explicitly. The definitive source and not wanting cross referencing drove what you’re attempting home.

That leaves my biggest concern. Liability. I can’t speak for everyone but I don’t want to see you and your team get smoked in real life because someone’s too foolish to do their own verifying. I feel like the more you attempt to legitimize the site into a definitive resource for growing the more you’re opening yourself up to real world repercussions when Johnny B Dumb burns his house down because he couldn’t be bothered to read the advice in full. Or when Cartel Keith gets popped for something stupid and illegal and starts pointing fingers at your authorities.

I am inherently suspicious of authority as I think most of us are. I am instantly put on the defensive when I see us attempting to move from info and entertainment to a “legitimate” resource. Perhaps it’s all the years and tears of illegality that has instilled this fear in me. What you’re attempting to accomplish is literally history in the making.

That leaves backstabbers.. Someone put into a position of trust based on rep who decides they feel they could do everything better, similar to the revolution you were referring to. I don’t trust anyone except my family and I certainly don’t trust people on the internet. I’m sure you’ve seen how it only takes a little disagreement between “partners” and next thing you know livelihoods are being destroyed.

The path to hell is paved with good intentions. What may seem like an innocuous idea like gold stars or reps could easily turn into something none of us could’ve seen, although I have a feeling you understand that.

It’s only out of love for this community and what I’ve gained here that I feel so passionately about it.
Lots of passionate members!

We have no liability, that stuff is covered in our disclaimers and guidelines and registration text, etc.

This is about ethics, compassion, paying it forward, doing what's right, earning good karma, etc.

Lots of passionate members!
I’ve been on one form or another of the internet for almost 30 years and this is by far the most respectful and welcoming place I’ve come across.. I’m willing to give some energy to that lol

I’ve been on one form or another of the internet for almost 30 years and this is by far the most respectful and welcoming place I’ve come across.. I’m willing to give some energy to that lol
:high-five:

I got a DSL line in 1992. Netscape was released in 1994. :bongrip:

I never encountered a forum or BB board that was this pleasant and civilized.

1988 dial up to irc 1989 dialup to aol

So old you can hear the round turndial. Tick tick tick tock tick
Prodigy on a 19200 baud modem. :cheesygrinsmiley:

[Edit] On a ATT pc with the 8086 chip at 8MHz and the 20MB harddisk. :slide: Prodigy was a useless piece of crap.

Sure. You only really learn by doing any way. If you know how to grow, you know when someone's advice is full of shit. For the newer growers, soak it all in. You learn by trial and error. Everybodies setup and system is different.
I agree with this providing those who are providing advice are protected as well and I think @420 was saying that is enclosed upon registration etc.

I think everyone is here for one thing or another but we all share a common passion for the mystery plant that is cannabis

Gets back to what I just said to GratefulBud. I think it's a cop out to do that, we want to be the definitive source for cannabis advice. I think it's a beyond terrible idea to send our people searching for help, to other sites to confirm what we said was good. Makes zero sense in my mind logically.
What I'm suggesting is more of an "at your own risk" and "any advice given or opinion stated does not reflect the views of 420 magazine, nor are we liable for any damages resulting from action on said views or advice".
I'm not clear on the legalese required, but I think you understand the main point?
You're not saying the advice is bad, or that they shouldn't ask for it, you're making it clear that the advice given is coming from the member, not the site. You're the platform, not the message.
With legalization paid consultants have sprouted up. Ed Rosenthal for one. Not every operation will have the capital to hire somebody like him, but the existence of consultants like that may make it damn near impossible for anyone to be the definitive source for cannabis advice right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom