• Yes

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 46 59.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The best of us give bad advice on something in our lives, nobody’s perfect. Rating the solution instead of the member, might just solve the dilemma.

I've already covered the disclaimer issue several times, we have that covered.

Trying to digest what you said, are you saying you think we should stay stuck in the past and never evolve or try to add new features?

Not to be a smarty pants, but are you still on a flip phone or blackberry or do you have an android or iphone?

What's wrong with awarding members for doing outstanding things?
Nothing more than what my post suggested. A simple disclaimer to fix the problems at hand

1) Problem 1, members don't know which info is good info.. simple.. disclaimer forces members to use their noodles and think for themselves.

2) Problem 2, staff getting messages from forum members complaining about bad advice they received. Disclaimer relieves staff of answering these complaints from mislead members.

Simple solution to simple problems which were brought up.

Todays world is full of things that make people use their brains less and less and get spoonfed information and adding "fact checking" type related features I don't really see as a good evolution. speech, debate, conflicting ideas is what fuels good progress. just my opinion. Also, just looking at other "media" sites, adding "fact checkers" pros and other nobel voices defeats debate and conversation and closes the door for innovation or free thought.

My "more cal/mag" comment was in relation to rating solutions... as the solution to every growing issue is "more cal/mag" and shows how the popular opinion isn't always the right one.

I don't understand how an adult. . . Attempts to hold a forum accountable for it's members, or what's being said on the forum.

I like it here. I could never imagine about being so unhappy in my life I'm complaining to staff of a forum. Like what year is it.....it's ok to have an opinion. Good or bad. But sometimes you should just let it go.

Nothing more than what my post suggested. A simple disclaimer to fix the problems at hand

1) Problem 1, members don't know which info is good info.. simple.. disclaimer forces members to use their noodles and think for themselves.

2) Problem 2, staff getting messages from forum members complaining about bad advice they received. Disclaimer relieves staff of answering these complaints from mislead members.

Simple solution to simple problems which were brought up.

Todays world is full of things that make people use their brains less and less and get spoonfed information and adding "fact checking" type related features I don't really see as a good evolution. speech, debate, conflicting ideas is what fuels good progress. just my opinion. Also, just looking at other "media" sites, adding "fact checkers" pros and other nobel voices defeats debate and conversation and closes the door for innovation or free thought.

My "more cal/mag" comment was in relation to rating solutions... as the solution to every growing issue is "more cal/mag" and shows how the popular opinion isn't always the right one.
What he was saying though there is a disclaimer upon registration. Should it be in bigger font and displayed on the front page? No but that tells me us as users are protected as well as the staff. But I also share the opinion of why is it necessary to change what’s broken but it seems like they are thinking of doing the rate the post suggestion which can work but also has its own draw backs. It will lessen the burden on staff but as long as they can watch out for abuse of the system it is a good idea

Post multiple lists of all cannabis growing problems with a box next to them (like at the top of this poll), then have a link to that page when somebody new comes on and needs advice. After they post pics, describe symptoms, and/or answer any questions that the growers here have, we can click on to that page from their thread and vote on what the problem is. :)
If you check too many wrong boxes, you get a ghostbusters line through your logo with the word "chimp" for three months. That should keep growers like me from coming on and telling them that they need more calmag! :thumb:
I'm just kidding, by the way.

I do like the idea @PotChimp

Some kind of issue / question interface

You could go thru select and cancel out problem solving menu. So your can make your own decisions. By giving you access to lots of information and real journals-people to discuss more intricate issues further.

You could also do that with your complaints or contact options. Have the user answer they're own issue with a couple of problem solving prompts. Like a chat bot. So they feel like they got 1 on 1.

Post multiple lists of all cannabis growing problems with a box next to them (like at the top of this poll), then have a link to that page when somebody new comes on and needs advice. After they post pics, describe symptoms, and/or answer any questions that the growers here have, we can click on to that page from their thread and vote on what the problem is. :)
If you check too many wrong boxes, you get a ghostbusters line through your logo with the word "chimp" for three months. That should keep growers like me from coming on and telling them that they need more calmag! :thumb:
I'm just kidding, by the way.
It's a great idea for sometime down the road :thanks:

When I first joined, I was a clueless newbie and got wildly different answers in the FAQ forum from members. I don't think any were "wrong" and certainly not purposely misleading....just different ways to try and solve a problem. Did I take some "bad" advice, sure. However, it didn't take long to see which members were viewed as experts and highly regarded by their peers and which members were relatively new growers.

Plus, growing is as much of an art as it is a science. What works for one person may not work for another. Perfect example, drying in a refrigerator. My first grow here that seemed to be all the rage. I tried it, and it wasn't great for me, hang drying was better (in my opinion). What happens when a user then down rates that fridge drying advice that many others do with great success?

Plus, growing is as much of an art as it is a science. What works for one person may not work for another. Perfect example, drying in a refrigerator. My first grow here that seemed to be all the rage. I tried it, and it wasn't great for me, hang drying was better (in my opinion). What happens when a user then down rates that fridge drying advice that many others do with great success?
It lets people looking at the ratings know that it doesn't work for everyone, maybe?

Voting for the answer over the user was hinted at but @VetSmoke85 was the person to put it into words on this thread.

In regard to trophies and awards.. It would be useful to think about how that would look. This site has a much cleaner and more professional look to it. I have a hard time taking someone seriously when the site is blue or red or orange and there’s all kinds of colorful boxes and titles and images around peoples names. I know this shouldn’t matter but we’re humans so it does. Perception is reality in most cases.

Trying to get more serious minded people to read something that is covered in gaudy imagery with bright colors is really tough. I was instantly turned off most other sites the moment they loaded just from their color schemes. Then there were all these flashy boxes, titles, inside jokey references under their avatar, and it just felt like a place where I would drop my kids off to go play for a few hours.

Voting for the answer over the user was hinted at but @VetSmoke85 was the person to put it into words on this thread.

In regard to trophies and awards.. It would be useful to think about how that would look. This site has a much cleaner and more professional look to it. I have a hard time taking someone seriously when the site is blue or red or orange and there’s all kinds of colorful boxes and titles and images around peoples names. I know this shouldn’t matter but we’re humans so it does. Perception is reality in most cases.

Trying to get more serious minded people to read something that is covered in gaudy imagery with bright colors is really tough. I was instantly turned off most other sites the moment they loaded just from their color schemes. Then there were all these flashy boxes, titles, inside jokey references under their avatar, and it just felt like a place where I would drop my kids off to go play for a few hours.
I think the awards for plant of the month etc is good enough the like system is enough just need a api for troubleshooting but even then that makes a ton of time and man power to get it running if I wasn’t so busy with kids and mom I’d offer to throw a template together but can’t get to my pc atm

I think the awards for plant of the month etc is good enough the like system is enough just need a api for troubleshooting but even then that makes a ton of time and man power to get it running if I wasn’t so busy with kids and mom I’d offer to throw a template together but can’t get to my pc atm

I agree wholeheartedly.. The way the “of the month” and annual tags look is perfect in my mind. It’s not flashy at all but does draw attention to the fact that this person has had the support of the community in one way or another.

I would keep next to the user name basic, but the user profile would show what level of understanding they have for subjects ie.

Soil
Hydro
Pest control
Organics
Plant health
Etc
I would include sub sections that go more in depth about each.

that's a neat idea. i know i'm definitely better on some topics and not so hot on others.

If it doesn't work, it's always easy to revert back to what did work.

can always try it. you'd probably get a good idea of whether it works and what the drawbacks are pretty quick.

Envision a completely hypothetical situation where a completely novice/fledgling grower happens upon this site while looking for some answers.

They use the handy dandy search bar that we have and they are then flooded with info and sift through one thread to arrive at an answer. The thread is old so there isn't any real traffic on it. They are just browsing and find some information regarding their issue.

most new folk just use google now before joining the site. the more organized browse through a few different forums and sites on any given issue. many are already up and growing before ever coming forward and joining.

i also still know a couple folk who won't join any weed forum over fear of bring traced, even now that it's legal here. they constantly use the internet to glean grow information though. piles of guys just mimic youtube stuff, some quite questionable.

I liked the previous rep system and I don't think it was abused the way people think it would be now. That said, now that it's been gone for a while, I no longer miss it.

I believe that the Member of the Month contest is kinda like the rep system and I think this is the proper area for reps. If you find a member who is particularly helpful, you nominate him/her for Member of the Month and then you vote for him/her.

I do think it tends to be a popularity contest though. Personally, I base my votes not just on the members nominated but also on whether they have won before and if they haven't, I tend to vote for them.

I think a better idea would be to cap the number of times a member can win an award. 420 Magazine has over 250,000 members but I see the same members being nominated and winning over and over again.

Just my two cents.

Nobody ever said weed theme it like a strip club neon sign, we like our earth tones of green for leaves and brown for soil and have no plans to change that. Maybe darken the colors a tad to be a little more sexy, but never what you are envisioning.

I liked the previous rep system and I don't think it was abused the way people think it would be now. That said, now that it's been gone for a while, I no longer miss it.

I believe that the Member of the Month contest is kinda like the rep system and I think this is the proper area for reps. If you find a member who is particularly helpful, you nominate him/her for Member of the Month and then you vote for him/her.

I do think it tends to be a popularity contest though. Personally, I base my votes not just on the members nominated but also on whether they have won before and if they haven't, I tend to vote for them.

I think a better idea would be to cap the number of times a member can win an award. 420 Magazine has over 250,000 members but I see the same members being nominated and winning over and over again.

Just my two cents.
We already do cap the number of times a member can win in a year. If you are suggesting we issue lifetime caps for contests, then we'll lose people left and right because after they win, the people who are here to share and compete have less reasons to be here.

We already do cap the number of times a member can win in a year. If you are suggesting we issue lifetime caps for contests, then we'll lose people left and right because after they win, the people who are here to share and compete have less reasons to be here.
Im telling ya man..get some sponsors to throw up prizes...make them not easy to get thru accolades during the year. Like old xbox achievements unlocked..If you have 20 high dollar prizes worth trying to get some awards...win win man. Quality content, member retention. I want prizes for doing epic shit dammit lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom