Stanks Switch It Up In 2019

Looks like you've been super busy this summer, place is looking great!

Hey Penny, good to see ya brother. Yeah man, we have been hella busy this summer. Love getting to do work though....I have missed this sort of physical labor.

nice bounty:thumb::goodjob::theband::woohoo:

Thanks Dynamo.....nice to see ya man:ciao:. How are things in your neck of the world?

Thanks Shed....I had a strict timeline I was working with and all of it took me literally to the deadline. Ms Stank and I were out there wrapping the scrap fencing we had from our old house at 7pm the night we were heading to the airport. We needed 190 feet but only had 188. I swear I mumbled to Ms Stank as I started digging it out from under the deck, "I bet we come up bout this short (holds up arms shoulder width apart). Really hoping Murphy will work with me on this one though." After we finished that, I started on the basement irrigation system.... :eek:

Seems he gave us a break. Overall the irrigation system that I threw together seemed to have worked well despite having Murphy kicking my ass the whole time. (Seriously, stuff that you will swear I am making up but I promise you that I am not). We were aiming to leave our house at 7-8pm to head to the hotel near the airport for our 6 am flight. Needless to say we didn't leave the house until just after midnight. We got to the hotel at 1:30am and slept (Except for Ms Stank, she showered and got ready for us to leave at 3:30 am to catch the 4 am shuttle) for an hour and a half.

I woke up just before 3am feeling a bit hot so I sat down in the chair next to the bed and instantly had both hamstrings locked up in knots. I shot straight up and started screaming and flopped down on the bed. I couldn't figure out a position to get the hammies to let go and it hurt too bad to talk and Ms Stank was watching me flop and scream and ignore her asking me what was wrong. Not sure how long it lasted for...probably not more than 20 seconds, but it seemed a lot longer. Never had anything like that ever happen before. I knew I pushed myself physically that day and didn't anything until midnight and I knew I didn't drink nearly enough fluids. But that scared the shit out of me getting ready to get on an airplane. I could barely walk when we left the hotel. Talk about a nightmare end to a hell of a day. I just chuckle about it now....but I really think it was probably more dangerous than I realized at the time. Gotta remember I can't do the stuff I did 20 years ago.

I seriously need to write the full recap of those 2-3 days while I can still remember them and save it somewhere.

Nice to see ya brother. Will swing through your place at some point this week. Playing hella catch up on both the indoor and outdoor garden.

..lessons learned are the most valuable ones. They ain't fun and they generally hurt a bit....but they make you grow. Learned a lot of valuable lessons throughout this process.
I am slowly beginning to understand the difference between wisdom and knowledge...and how it is age based. All these painful/expensive lessons take time to accrue... :)
Gotta remember I can't do the stuff I did 20 years ago.
Amen

That's one hello of a start to the trip! One thing after another like you never know what's gonna hit you next :oops:. So glad the actual trip was a hit.

I dropped a couple of DTF pics in your DTF thread while you were gone. It's a beauty!
:thanks:

Oh thats just a drop in the bucket in terms of Murphy beating my ass over a 3 day period.

I saw a quick pic of the DTF but will be getting around to seeing again here soon brother. Glad she is doing well for you!

That's an aggressive garden! You still got it, I'm jealous.

Thank StoneOtter! We probably went a bit overboard, especially with all the work, but I tend to do that. Its looking like a banner garden year for us at this point....definitely more than we have ever had on our plants in the past. :passitleft:

I am slowly beginning to understand the difference between wisdom and knowledge...and how it is age based. All these painful/expensive lessons take time to accrue... :)

Yeah funny how much difference there is between the two huh. I still need lots of work on the wisdom though. Hoping that more will come as the miles continue to accrue.

Damn Stank that veggie garden looks immaculate!
:passitleft:

Thanks brother....thats where all the action has been taking place since May. Lots of hours spent out there my friend. Guess last night the bear was standing by our driveway while we were working in the garden. The neighbor came driving by real slow and we thought it was kind of odd.....til he told us the bear was just there and ran off. Gonna have to start carrying when I go out into the garden.....just in case there is any confusion on the food chain and where exactly it is that I stand in his/her eyes.

Oh thats just a drop in the bucket in terms of Murphy beating my ass over a 3 day period.

I saw a quick pic of the DTF but will be getting around to seeing again here soon brother. Glad she is doing well for you!

Thank StoneOtter! We probably went a bit overboard, especially with all the work, but I tend to do that. Its looking like a banner garden year for us at this point....definitely more than we have ever had on our plants in the past. :passitleft:

Yeah funny how much difference there is between the two huh. I still need lots of work on the wisdom though. Hoping that more will come as the miles continue to accrue.

Thanks brother....thats where all the action has been taking place since May. Lots of hours spent out there my friend. Guess last night the bear was standing by our driveway while we were working in the garden. The neighbor came driving by real slow and we thought it was kind of odd.....til he told us the bear was just there and ran off. Gonna have to start carrying when I go out into the garden.....just in case there is any confusion on the food chain and where exactly it is that I stand in his/her eyes.
Do carry in the garden. Bears aren't friendly here like Jellystone. I've scared one off when I was a kid in the Tetons by getting all big (jumping jacks) and sharp whistling and yelling. If I were to be in the same situation today I'd crap myself! Keep one on your side! Some noise is generally enough.

Do carry in the garden. Bears aren't friendly here like Jellystone. I've scared one off when I was a kid in the Tetons by getting all big (jumping jacks) and sharp whistling and yelling. If I were to be in the same situation today I'd crap myself! Keep one on your side! Some noise is generally enough.

Generally I have my phone hooked up to some speakers blasting some music when I am outdoors. I know that is generally enough to keep anything other than the hundreds of turkeys away. They aren't bothered by anything apparently.

Its funny, there have been a couple times where I was working and I just got some weird feelings I was being watched....like the hair standing up on the back on the neck kind of feeling. Haven't gotten that much since I left the Marines. That feeling when you get when you feel like someone has a bullseye square on you. I had that same feeling 3 times out in the garden..enough so that I went inside and grabbed a pistol. Of course the other side of me is saying "dude, you just smoked a bowl....its your mind fucking with you! Nothing wants to eat your old crusty ass!". Definitely need to get an electric fence up if I have any inclination of trying to run bee hives!

We picked up a couple trail cams right before we left that I need to get set up.

Haha geez got someone eyeing up those tasty veggies lol

Oh yeah, lots of critters out here!

Definitely need to get an electric fence up if I have any inclination of trying to run bee hives!
Absolutely...and for that matter, you can run a strand around the entire edge of the yard to keep bears at bay.

Amen

As an old man, I have come to understand that testosterone is a wisdom antagonist. :cheesygrinsmiley: When it fades away, a lot of things suddenly start making sense. Like why our women were always giving us those wild exasperated looks. :laughtwo: It's great stuff, but ...

:Namaste:

While I appreciate a large caliber weapon, they are overrated if you know how to shoot. Having said that, there is a minimum degree of comfort that I have for each threat and .40 is as low as I will go in a handgun for a black bear and a .44 Magnum for Grizzlies. You don't get a lot of shots in these sorts of distances so you gotta make sure it counts :thumb:. Again I generally have the music on and blaring just to let them know to stay away. I want them to know exactly where I am and not to go there.

Back
Top Bottom