Stunger's Organic Soil Stealth Balcony: Landrace Mulanje & Other Sativas

Update - Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! The run of fair weather continues. Today's update is on the Hon/Pan only because I have pruned off some more of her buds that were showing pest damage. Also too, I cut off the largish stem that I selectively pollinated about 2 months ago. I wanted to remove that before seeds start dropping out and before the predicted rain in a couple of days time.

The selectively pollinated stem has some dead long sugar leaves, I am a bit mystified why, but I have chosen to remove it, and any other buds that I found to be showing pest damage.

Here are some closeups of her trichomes from some of the pruned off bits.

Thanks for dropping by, keep well, and I hope you're all enjoying a nice weekend. :ganjamon:

Pretty damn sparkly for flowers that were working on seed production! And are those leaves dead from the outside in or the inside out. If the inside out I'm curious what you find when you break them open. :hmmmm:
Cheers Shed, I haven't yet broken them open to see, so I am not sure if it is only the leaves or if there is damage inside that is the origin of the dead leaves.

On the Malawi/Ethiopian, one stem that I pollinated also is displaying similar single dead leaves, and as that plant has smaller buds (easier to see in), there appears to be no originating damage. But of course once I break it up I should be able to get a definitive answer.

Update - pruning off bud damage and pollinated stems - trichome closeups & seeded bracts

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! Rain and wind is coming later today so I pruned off the stems of the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje that I pollinated about 2 months ago, they are started to drop out of the bracts so this can be an 'early' harvest to establish a yardstick of what 18 weeks is like.

I also pruned off a little bit more of the Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras that was showing bud damage.

At this point I should have all intentionally seeded stems removed from the plants, and all bud damage removed so the coming wet weather should be ok. From now, I intend to let them continue to flower as long as they want, and as long as the weather is supportive.

Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras

A bit more bud damage that I removed from her today

I will add that to what I removed from her a few days ago. There is still a reasonable amount of undamaged bud to be gleaned from this tray.

Mango Sherbert

She is still drying, I clipped off a nugget and ground it up a couple of days ago, it very nice, gooey like fudge to cut through with the scissors. I will start dry trimming and jarring her up soon.

Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje

I will let her continue flowering for as long as she looks good and the weather is ok for her.

These are the seeded stems of her that I removed today, because with rain coming I don't want to lose the 'precious seeds' that have been maturing nicely for 2 months, already some are beginning to fall out of their splitting bracts.

Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje closeups

I have not yet started 'official' harvesting of seeds, but I already have a few seeds of this year's grow put aside.

Seeded Bracts

And I am saving my favourite pics of this update till last. These are some pics of the seeded bracts of the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje that I 'gently' removed with tweezers, many splitting and spilling the seeds. To me they look something like lovely pieces of coral.

Vaping the empty bracts shucked of their seeds

Mmm... wow, this was very nice. It shouldn't be any surprise when viewing the trichomes bristling out of the bracts in the pictures above. I stuffed the empty bract shucks into the dynavap and vaped 1 cap. Really nice, really promising! And now I have the seeded stems drying I can soon start enjoying some 'early testers' the bud!

Anyway, that the state of play today. Thanks for dropping in, I hope you're doing great, and your gardens are blooming!

Stunning seeds and an excellent use of the bracts they were in! Trichomes look like there's still some time left... :slide:
Thanks Shed. I meant to also add that the dead single leaves that were seen don't seem to be related to any 'inner' damage, if anything they seem to be related to the seeded bracts that are now well mature, it is like they have died when the seed is done, but I'm grasping for explanations here!

it is like they have died when the seed is done, but I'm grasping for explanations here!
Congrats on the seed haul. I don't have enough experience to be certain but I think this too. I don't know if you remember the beautiful Transkei plant I was growing last year, that went to seed and the buds all browned off. In that instance I wasn't wanting seeds and it was a big disappointment.
Your photos are spectacular, especially the bracts and seeds. How are folks getting such microscopic views? My macro lens doesn't give me those views. I have a jewelers loupe but I tremor badly and can't hold it still enough to view anything properly with it, and it doesn't take photos. How do you do it?

Update - pruning off bud damage and pollinated stems - trichome closeups & seeded bracts

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! Rain and wind is coming later today so I pruned off the stems of the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje that I pollinated about 2 months ago, they are started to drop out of the bracts so this can be an 'early' harvest to establish a yardstick of what 18 weeks is like.

I also pruned off a little bit more of the Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras that was showing bud damage.

At this point I should have all intentionally seeded stems removed from the plants, and all bud damage removed so the coming wet weather should be ok. From now, I intend to let them continue to flower as long as they want, and as long as the weather is supportive.

I will add that to what I removed from her a few days ago. There is still a reasonable amount of undamaged bud to be gleaned from this tray.

Mango Sherbert

She is still drying, I clipped off a nugget and ground it up a couple of days ago, it very nice, gooey like fudge to cut through with the scissors. I will start dry trimming and jarring her up soon.

I will let her continue flowering for as long as she looks good and the weather is ok for her.

These are the seeded stems of her that I removed today, because with rain coming I don't want to lose the 'precious seeds' that have been maturing nicely for 2 months, already some are beginning to fall out of their splitting bracts.

I have not yet started 'official' harvesting of seeds, but I already have a few seeds of this year's grow put aside.

Seeded Bracts

And I am saving my favourite pics of this update till last. These are some pics of the seeded bracts of the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje that I 'gently' removed with tweezers, many splitting and spilling the seeds. To me they look something like lovely pieces of coral.

Mmm... wow, this was very nice. It shouldn't be any surprise when viewing the trichomes bristling out of the bracts in the pictures above. I stuffed the empty bract shucks into the dynavap and vaped 1 cap. Really nice, really promising! And now I have the seeded stems drying I can soon start enjoying some 'early testers' the bud!

Anyway, that the state of play today. Thanks for dropping in, I hope you're doing great, and your gardens are blooming!
Such a cool update. Stunger those seed/bracht pics are super cool and very unusual. I don't recall ever seeing someone post that picture in any form. I'd suggest you may have PH OTM material there. And to smoke them? I would have never thought of that!!! Guess it took a few to make a bowl, lol. Like Shed said, that's a ton of trichomes for seed buds, least to my eyes. And last comment - some of the branches you have on those plants are giNORMOUS. I love the big sweeping curves...

Oh interesting...I'll look out for that if I actually get seeds from the Sour G's! I plan on letting it go as long as possible to make sure the seeds are completely ready for harvest. I don't have any need for the flowers.
I am probably way off there Shed, it just seemed strange that single dead leaves occurred to a couple of the seeded stems, which is tenuous as others weren't effected.

I forgot to make mention of your comment about the trichomes looking to still have some time to go. And yes they do don't they. I had never previous grown pure sativas and I was surprised to see that they still have quite a lot of clear trichomes as it's been 18 weeks. Yet on 'testing' I feel they have a more advanced 'punch' to them than I'd expect. I am happy for them to further develop, if the weather is supportive I'll let them run.
Congrats on the seed haul. I don't have enough experience to be certain but I think this too. I don't know if you remember the beautiful Transkei plant I was growing last year, that went to seed and the buds all browned off. In that instance I wasn't wanting seeds and it was a big disappointment.
Your photos are spectacular, especially the bracts and seeds. How are folks getting such microscopic views? My macro lens doesn't give me those views. I have a jewelers loupe but I tremor badly and can't hold it still enough to view anything properly with it, and it doesn't take photos. How do you do it?
Thanks Carmen! I do remember your beautiful Transkei plant, with her stunning pink/purple coloured trichomes, a shame about getting lots of unwanted seeds. In hindsight I have probably been 'overly' successful in making some seeds this grow. But that doesn't matter, I will get plenty of buds that easily last the next year, and I'll have some great seeds for the future.

Re photos; I am using a camera which has a fixed prime lens which I can't get close with, but for the closeups I am using a clip on lens attachment which allows me to take photos closer which then I can crop them to make them more macro like. If you have a camera with a removable lens, sometimes it is possible to reverse a lens to create really good macro images.
So many seeds, so little time...
Cheers Azi, it is like that. I feel I have to do a 'Johnny Appleseed' and throw a few around the countryside for future foragers!
Such a cool update. Stunger those seed/bracht pics are super cool and very unusual. I don't recall ever seeing someone post that picture in any form. I'd suggest you may have PH OTM material there. And to smoke them? I would have never thought of that!!! Guess it took a few to make a bowl, lol. Like Shed said, that's a ton of trichomes for seed buds, least to my eyes. And last comment - some of the branches you have on those plants are giNORMOUS. I love the big sweeping curves...
Thanks Jon, looking at the spent bracts they were kinda papery and unappealing, but when viewed closeup you can see they are bristling with trichomes, a shame to waste and an invite to test out! I couldn't fit in all of the spent bracts from those 35 odd seeds, but I managed to stuff in close to 30 of them and they made a thoroughly good vapecap.

I found it quite hard to contain the plants, they are very strong when they want to grow taller, it was a challenge to bend them to my will and not yield to their's, and there is no clear winner!

Excellent balcony update, Stunger! You'll have enough seeds there to grow a lifetime's worth of plants. :welldone:

Great update, Stunger!

That last pic of the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje is awesome! :Rasta:

Excellent balcony update, Stunger! You'll have enough seeds there to grow a lifetime's worth of plants. :welldone:
Thanks Beez! Making some seeds was an aim this grow, so I am really pleased I will have plenty of what should be great genetics too. Perhaps for the future I will look to do a 'Shed' and try out some STS to make some female seeds.
Great update, Stunger!

That last pic of the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje is awesome! :Rasta:
Thanks GDB! I rather liked the seeded bracts pics too. And so far after 18 weeks of flowering, the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje is looking really resistant to pest damage which makes it ideal for my growing conditions.

I love the frame and fat stalk on the Honduras X Purple Panama. Congrats on the successful pollination and seeds. Your pics of the seeds in their bracts are fantastic. Little treasures :ganjamon:

Thanks Joe. It is weird how normal it now feels to be running plants outside at this time of the year, and if all continues well I could go until winter. I used to complain that when growing outdoors you have a long wait between grows, but this grow has got some legs.
I love the frame and fat stalk on the Honduras X Purple Panama. Congrats on the successful pollination and seeds. Your pics of the seeds in their bracts are fantastic. Little treasures :ganjamon:
Cheers stinker, I let up on the training a bit which I shouldn't have as it made things a bit unruly. Yep, I am super pleased to have successfully gained seeds from each attempted selective pollination I did. That Mulanje male had some virility which was good! I am rapt with this grows 'early testers' too.

Mango Sherbert

Seeded Bracts

One of those seed/bract pics looks like a POTM to me Stunger! :woohoo:

Back
Top Bottom