Stunger's Organic Soil Stealth Balcony: Landrace Mulanje & Other Sativas

Update - 18 and a half weeks - dying stem from Hon/Pan pruned off and inspected for trichome progress

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! I am amazed that I still have plants growing on the balcony so late in the season.

Balcony girls

Pruned off a dying stem on the Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras

Today, I noticed a small part of a stem on the Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras appeared to be dying so I pruned it off. The bud actually seems fine without any damage, but it looks like the stem itself was starting to die off from probably a mixture of advanced age and training wire stress.

I tried to take a few close ups to check the progress of the pistils of the pruned off bud.

And here are a couple more pics of seeded bracts from the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje

Thanks for dropping in, keep safe and well, and may your gardening efforts yield heaps! :ganjamon:

Those plants look amazing for this time of year! Glad the dying branch wasn't a sign because with good weather you can make it all the way to what you get to call the finish line.

Love those bract pics. :welldone:
Thanks Shed, we're having a somewhat blessed run of weather which is great, altho some rain in the coming days apparently. But yes, it is looking like these 2 girls may be able to stretch their legs and push the finish line out until June.

Update - 18 and a half weeks - dying stem from Hon/Pan pruned off and inspected for trichome progress

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! I am amazed that I still have plants growing on the balcony so late in the season.

Balcony girls

Today, I noticed a small part of a stem on the Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras appeared to be dying so I pruned it off. The bud actually seems fine without any damage, but it looks like the stem itself was starting to die off from probably a mixture of advanced age and training wire stress.

I tried to take a few close ups to check the progress of the pistils of the pruned off bud.

And here are a couple more pics of seeded bracts from the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje

Thanks for dropping in, keep safe and well, and may your gardening efforts yield heaps! :ganjamon:
Stungs I am always amazed at your balcony grow. You really got the green thumb for these plants! Absolute beauts they are!

Balcony girls

They look so comfortable in their bracts!

Balcony girls

Awesome update. I LOVE that first pic showing your girls in the sun all lit up. Killer photo. As is the closeup seed/bract shot. The dichotomy between the swirling blacks, greys, and browns on the seed and the colorful frosty bract is spectacular. And the trichs!!! You practically get high just looking at that! Nice work = understatement.

Excellent work keeping those plants going this late in the season. I had a plant last year that went into November (similar to your May) and it just wouldn't get ripe. I felt like if I had kept it going until December, it still wouldn't get any closer to ready because the weather was so cool and the daylight hours so short. I hope your plants have better results. :Namaste:

Stungs I am always amazed at your balcony grow. You really got the green thumb for these plants! Absolute beauts they are!
Thanks Skott!
They look so comfortable in their bracts!
Cheers Otter! Those seeds got pretty comfortable in their bracts after being in them for nearly 2 months.
Awesome update. I LOVE that first pic showing your girls in the sun all lit up. Killer photo. As is the closeup seed/bract shot. The dichotomy between the swirling blacks, greys, and browns on the seed and the colorful frosty bract is spectacular. And the trichs!!! You practically get high just looking at that! Nice work = understatement.
Thanks Jon! I am lucky that the weather and the plants are working for one another.
Excellent work keeping those plants going this late in the season. I had a plant last year that went into November (similar to your May) and it just wouldn't get ripe. I felt like if I had kept it going until December, it still wouldn't get any closer to ready because the weather was so cool and the daylight hours so short. I hope your plants have better results. :Namaste:
Thanks Beez! This is my first time growing pure sativas and I understand that chopping them later is best for potency, so far the weather is letting them continue which is good. But interestingly, there is still a lot of clear/cloudy. However the earlier testers I've tried have been very promising especially the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje. I intend to let them run as long as they want if the weather is supportive.

All caught up again! Sorry for getting behind. So awesome to see those beauties carry through so late.

but also, she appears virtually untouched by pest damage, plus with her late flowering she loves cold nights, which is just great for my environment,
Loved reading this! A key factor for selective breeding and creating your own varieties that are resistant to your negative environmental factors. I think it may be a specific terpene or combination of terpenes.
next time I think I'll top and quadline/hexline/manifold to keep the 'spine' of the plant low and then be able to better maintain the vertical growth.
I agree with any of those techniques. I'm thinking your balcony grows may benefit from a large quantity of tops instead of spears/bats. Lots of topping and laying branches down to create a bunch of "mini" colas. I agree with Jon that your technique, although you're not fond of, you did a great job. You got them directed in multiple spots and created a lot of branching. I have some ideas for you that may help give you some good results. I'll do my best to remember to tag you later in the summer with some of my outdoor plants.

Seeded Bracts

And I am saving my favourite pics of this update till last. These are some pics of the seeded bracts of the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje
Effin spectacular dude!!! Killer camera work.
:bravo::love:
So many seeds, so little time...
Right Azi! Feel the same way. My collection is already too large for me and I want to order more! Plus I want to make some seeds too. Haaa haaa.
I feel I have to do a 'Johnny Appleseed' and throw a few around the countryside for future foragers!
Yaaaaasssss!!! Please do it and then have a 'Countryside Gorilla Grow Journal'! Or would that be encouraging "illegal" practices? :hmmmm:
the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje is looking really resistant to pest damage which makes it ideal for my growing conditions.
Just asking for more selective breeding and making a super powered variety for your space. :welldone:
One of those seed/bract pics looks like a POTM to me Stunger! :woohoo:
Absolutely agree!
Daaaaaamn it!!! :circle-of-love:

Those pictures are outstanding. I'm having fun following along, and really rooting for good weather to see how long you can take them. :cheer:

All caught up again! Sorry for getting behind. So awesome to see those beauties carry through so late.
Thanks BA, but no need to plough though a bunch of past pages next time, haha!

Just asking for more selective breeding and making a super powered variety for your space.
:welldone:
Exactly, this one is looking very suited!
Yaaaaasssss!!! Please do it and then have a 'Countryside Gorilla Grow Journal'! Or would that be encouraging "illegal" practices? :hmmmm:
Nature doesn't read law books. :laugh:
Those pictures are outstanding. I'm having fun following along, and really rooting for good weather to see how long you can take them. :cheer:
Thanks LK! You and me both, I am surprised to still have plants contentedly flowering, and long may they continue!

Update - testing out some 16 day old immature Mulanje seeds - will they pop??

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! Earlier in this season's grow I had a lovely Mulanje which I managed to completely ruin. It was 1 of 4 balcony girls that I selectively pollinated on the 7th March. The other 3 have all done well, but the poor Mulanje met an early demise from suspected excess top dressing, altho I also suspect that I may have over watered it also. At the end of it's life I gave it a 150L flush as desperate attempt to restore it, it didn't, but it was a somewhat funny thing to be doing on my first day of having covid, but still, I had to try and save her. It didn't work, and after 3 more days of looking more dead than alive I chopped her, that was on the 23rd March, just 16 days later. So will her 16 day old seeds be viable? They are not dark, they have no nice stripes, they look pretty sad and pale to what we would prefer to see.

5 random seeds from a deteriorating and chopped Mulanje that was pollinated 16 days earlier

A fellow grower from my island in the sea, @Jungle Joseph, recently commented on a 'white' seed of his that he was wondering if it would sprout. His comment prompted me to realise that I have a heap of white immature Mulanje seeds that I can test out.

So, I soaked them for about 18 hours in water with about 20% by volume of 6% H2O2 (I have used both less and more before with no noticeable adverse difference)

After 1 day

After 2 days

After 3 days - 2 have sprouted!!

So who would have picked it? 16 day old seeds and 2 sprouted already after 3 days, maybe another 1 or 2 more will do so too? I must say, I wasn't very confident, so I am a bit surprised. Now I just need to consider what I'm going to do with the sprouts?? :smokin:

<edit> It is the evening of the 3rd day here, and I now notice a 3rd seed has sprouted, so for the record...

<further edit> Camera is recharged, 4th sprout showing by the end of the day!

Thanks for dropping in! :ganjamon:

Update - testing out some 16 day old immature Mulanje seeds - will they pop??

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! Earlier in this season's grow I had a lovely Mulanje which I managed to completely ruin. It was 1 of 4 balcony girls that I selectively pollinated on the 7th March. The other 3 have all done well, but the poor Mulanje met an early demise from suspected excess top dressing, altho I also suspect that I may have over watered it also. At the end of it's life I gave it a 150L flush as desperate attempt to restore it, it didn't, but it was a somewhat funny thing to be doing on my first day of having covid, but still, I had to try and save her. It didn't work, and after 3 more days of looking more dead than alive I chopped her, that was on the 23rd March, just 16 days later. So will her 16 day old seeds be viable? They are not dark, they have no nice stripes, they look pretty sad and pale to what we would prefer to see.

5 random seeds from a deteriorating and chopped Mulanje that was pollinated 16 days earlier

A fellow grower from my island in the sea, @Jungle Joseph, recently commented on a 'white' seed of his that he was wondering if it would sprout. His comment prompted me to realise that I have a heap of white immature Mulanje seeds that I can test out.

So, I soaked them for about 18 hours in water with about 20% by volume of 6% H2O2 (I have used both less and more before with no noticeable adverse difference)

After 1 day

After 2 days

After 3 days - 2 have sprouted!!

So who would have picked it? 16 day old seeds and 2 sprouted already after 3 days, maybe another 1 or 2 more will do so too? I must say, I wasn't very confident, so I am a bit surprised. Now I just need to consider what I'm going to do with the sprouts?? :smokin:
Wow, that's awesome. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes. Absolutely amazing. I'm flabbergasted.

Stunger, this is awesome :) It's a fine feeling sprouting deliberately home grown seeds! Congratulations! Let em grow?

Wow, that's awesome. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes. Absolutely amazing. I'm flabbergasted.
Yeah I am surprised, 3 have sprouted from 5 now.
Stunger, this is awesome :) It's a fine feeling sprouting deliberately home grown seeds! Congratulations! Let em grow?
Thanks Carmen, I really thought by their pale immature looks and knowing they were only 16 days old, that they would be rather unlikely to germinate, so now they have.. hmm.. Winter starts next month, I suppose if they survive that then they'd be keepers! haha, I dunno really.

That is crazy. Id be super interested to see the steps you took.

I say that as I had a bunch of undeveloped seeds back a cpl years and could not get a single sprout.

Whatever you did obviously went in your favour. Look you dont have to I only ask as it will still be fresh in your mind.

Bet you're glad you held onto them. 16 days just seems so short. Who knew?

Back
Top Bottom