Stunger's Organic Soil Stealth Balcony: Landrace Mulanje & Other Sativas

:thumb:......:woohoo::high-five::goodluck::thumb:

Aye! (Am I too late to vote?)

Am I the only one wondering why the 5th seed didn't sprout? :laughtwo:

It's part of the science and discovery recon. This way he'll know how many he has to plant next season to actually get a plant.

Spoiler alert, looks like one (maybe two if he has enough extra :laughtwo: )

Thanks GDB! I didn't check the 5th seed too closely, but it could be because it was an immature seed. :laugh:
It's part of the science and discovery recon. This way he'll know how many he has to plant next season to actually get a plant.

Spoiler alert, looks like one (maybe two if he has enough extra :laughtwo: )
I got plenty of seeds but these are regulars, just to add a smidgen of uncertainty of gender outcome if they get that far. Ideally I would have planted them upon showing a sprout rather than have waiting a couple of days more before doing so. I am not sure how they will respond/cope with the cooling temps, but if they get going they should be ok.

I'm looking forward to happy healthy landraces growing out of those pots!
knowing they were only 16 days old, that they would be rather unlikely to germinate, so now they have.. hmm
Congratulations on getting those to crack! Great start to the test. :bravo:
Plus, you really should test grow them to be sure that they grow normally, even if not fully ripened. Be a shame to stake your next season's grow on unproven seeds.
This! ↑

Otter sprouted some immature Candida seeds and the plants had a lot of variegation early on that they're finally growing out of. No clue if the CBD content will be similar to the mother plant. I sure hope so!
a smidgen of uncertainty of gender outcome
Maybe more than a smidgen!

I'm looking forward to happy healthy landraces growing out of those pots!
Congratulations on getting those to crack! Great start to the test. :bravo:
Otter sprouted some immature Candida seeds and the plants had a lot of variegation early on that they're finally growing out of. No clue if the CBD content will be similar to the mother plant. I sure hope so!
That’s what I want to see!
Thanks guys! Just sprouting these was the main test. 4 out of 5 sprouting was quite unexpected.

I still have 3 more original Mulanje seeds remaining, so for a serious Mulanje grow I'd more likely use those. Also I shared 3 of the original seeds with a fellow grower who like me, lost one (mine was to a slug), and he also got 1 male and 1 female which he's grown out so he should gain some far better more mature seeds to run with.

I have gained seeds from all 4 girls I grew this time. My Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje seems fantastic for her high and her Mulanje back crossed seeds look really great. And of all the plants I have grown she seems by far the most pest resilient one (altho it could be that the other plants were just more tasty), so she seems potentially a great strain for my location. And hopefully her 'home produced' Mulanje crossed seeds are even better 'conditioned' for this environment.

Also I shared 3 of the original seeds with a fellow grower who like me, lost one (mine was to a slug), and he also got 1 male and 1 female which he's grown out so he should gain some far better more mature seeds to run with.
Awesome to have a mate like that, that you can trust in places with dumbass laws like yours and ours. In secret and requires a lot of respect and trust. Good stuff right there in my book. Hard to find these days.
And hopefully her 'home produced' Mulanje crossed seeds are even better 'conditioned' for this environment.
Absolutely!!! The start of an heirloom for your region.

Update - 19 weeks flowering for the sativas - removal of some bud damage - trichome closeups

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! It is currently day 135, or 19 weeks of flowering. There is heavy rain predicted tonight and a few more rainy days ahead. The Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras has been showing further bud damage which I removed to stop the rot so to speak, I think 3/4 of what I cut off will be undamaged. I also removed a tiny bit of damage from the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje, but it was very minimal. This will allow me to experience a multi level harvest of these 2 plants, and that way I'll be able to compare the buds from different harvest times.

Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras; Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje

Buds I pruned off today, mostly from the Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras

The following are some close up pictures of the trichomes taken of the pruned off buds

Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras

Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje

Anyway, I shall go and put these pruned buds on the rack to dry. Thanks for dropping in, keep well. :ganjamon:

Sorry to hear about the bud damage, but it sounds like it's all part of the game. Those tric shots look awesome I hope you can keep more than you trash.

Awesome to have a mate like that, that you can trust in places with dumbass laws like yours and ours. In secret and requires a lot of respect and trust. Good stuff right there in my book. Hard to find these days.
It is rather messed up that it is like that, but thanks to the weed gods that there is a community like this that a lot of those good folk are attracted to!
Absolutely!!! The start of an heirloom for your region.
Yes exactly, those seeds have been made on my balcony so perhaps there will be some environmental advantage in them if I grow them in Spring. The Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje did not make big cola bats like the Hon/Pan did, but it seems to be very 'crystally', very pest resiliant, is handling the weather well, and has a punchy long lasting high.
You're on the edge brother!
As long as they appear to be surviving fine I am happy to push the boat out and see what effect/benefits a long flowering period has.

I am not expecting that the Hon/Pan will last too much longer. I have already taken off over half of her from various bits of pest damage, and several days of crap rainy weather ahead, so the remainder left on her is an experiment for longer flowered bud.

But the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje, is so far looking fairly comfortable, her pistils have some amber but there are clear too. She's a good A+ now, so if I can get her to a AA or better then I will chance letting her run for longer!

Sorry to hear about the bud damage, but it sounds like it's all part of the game. Those tric shots look awesome I hope you can keep more than you trash.
Yeah/nah, it's all part of the game. Probably 2/3rd's of what I have removed has been undamaged and will be jarred. But too, the 3 plants have produced very high quality bud, seeds, and I have had the benefit of the droughting experiment, and trying pure sativas for the first time too. So a heck of lot has gone right, quite lucky really. :ganjamon:

Update - 19 weeks flowering for the sativas - removal of some bud damage - trichome closeups

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! It is currently day 135, or 19 weeks of flowering. There is heavy rain predicted tonight and a few more rainy days ahead. The Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras has been showing further bud damage which I removed to stop the rot so to speak, I think 3/4 of what I cut off will be undamaged. I also removed a tiny bit of damage from the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje, but it was very minimal. This will allow me to experience a multi level harvest of these 2 plants, and that way I'll be able to compare the buds from different harvest times.

Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras; Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje

Buds I pruned off today, mostly from the Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras

The following are some close up pictures of the trichomes taken of the pruned off buds

Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras

Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje

Anyway, I shall go and put these pruned buds on the rack to dry. Thanks for dropping in, keep well. :ganjamon:
Damn @Stunger, I'm coming over to get a few trichome photography lessons, these are amazing. And beautiful. The sativas are so damn exotic looking, and congrats on how long you've managed to keep them viable and rocking. Wow, long grow, as you knew going in, but still it's a long damn time. Looks every bit like it's going to be worth it though!

So those 4 seeds of the 5 that you planted.....those seeds formed from the point you applied the pollen in just 16 days to viability? Am I understanding this correctly? WOW. I had no idea they formed that quickly, especially to the point where they will actually sprout.

Have you ever popped seeds this young before of any strain? Do you have any reference points at all? And if not, what's your take on how immature seeds will grow once popped? (obviously you're ((we're, lol)) about to find out). I'm thinking and hoping that since your tap roots are emerging seemingly strong and healthy and thickish, maybe there won't be any expression of immaturity in the growth whatsoever. Or maybe an immature seed will produce a more immature-ish plant? It's a fascinating experiment, thanks for sharing it.

Back
Top Bottom