Stunger's Organic Soil Stealth Balcony: Landrace Mulanje & Other Sativas

So those 4 seeds of the 5 that you planted.....those seeds formed from the point you applied the pollen in just 16 days to viability? Am I understanding this correctly? WOW. I had no idea they formed that quickly, especially to the point where they will actually sprout.
Thanks Jon, I feel quite confident that the seeds formed from pollen that I dusted 16 days earlier. The final 3 days the plant was noticeably looking 'deader' each day, so an amazing job the mother did to produce seeds that can germinate!
Have you ever popped seeds this young before of any strain? Do you have any reference points at all? And if not, what's your take on how immature seeds will grow once popped? (obviously you're ((we're, lol)) about to find out). I'm thinking and hoping that since your tap roots are emerging seemingly strong and healthy and thickish, maybe there won't be any expression of immaturity in the growth whatsoever. Or maybe an immature seed will produce a more immature-ish plant? It's a fascinating experiment, thanks for sharing it.
I have never knowingly done this, but I am completely confident on the dates of the Mulanje (it's all in the journal). Plus the seeds actually look very pale and immature like you would expect if immature. Another thing is, they had been allowed to 'set' for 6 weeks, so for germination they have probably been well timed, perhaps compared to seeds that may have been sitting unsold/stored for years, otherwise it was a surprise to me. I threw the 5th seed without waiting it out, it wouldn't have would it? But anyway, 4 out of 5 was quite amazing. So there is hope when seeds are pale and they have no dark markings. Just 2 weeks 2 days!

As winter is starting in a couple of weeks I hadn't considered ever growing them out. But @Azimuth raised a good point that you won't know whether the immature seed can go on to produce a good plant if they're not grown out. They were left in the ziplock bag for a couple of days longer than I would have normally intended for growing, so the roots got a bit curly and yellowed. But they are all above ground now, kinda fragile, one is normal, the other 3 needed assistance with their helmets and received a bit of stem wrestling in the process. There is heavy rain later apparently, they're outside under an overhang so we'll see how they are tomorrow.

Thanks Jon, I feel quite confident that the seeds formed from pollen that I dusted 16 days earlier. The final 3 days the plant was noticeably looking 'deader' each day, so an amazing job the mother did to produce seeds that can germinate!

I have never knowingly done this, but I am completely confident on the dates of the Mulanje (it's all in the journal). Plus the seeds actually look very pale and immature like you would expect if immature. Another thing is, they had been allowed to 'set' for 6 weeks, so for germination they have probably been well timed, perhaps compared to seeds that may have been sitting unsold/stored for years, otherwise it was a surprise to me. I threw the 5th seed without waiting it out, it wouldn't have would it? But anyway, 4 out of 5 was quite amazing. So there is hope when seeds are pale and they have no dark markings. Just 2 weeks 2 days!

As winter is starting in a couple of weeks I hadn't considered ever growing them out. But @Azimuth raised a good point that you won't know whether the immature seed can go on to produce a good plant if they're not grown out. They were left in the ziplock bag for a couple of days longer than I would have normally intended for growing, so the roots got a bit curly and yellowed. But they are all above ground now, kinda fragile, one is normal, the other 3 needed assistance with their helmets and received a bit of stem wrestling in the process. There is heavy rain later apparently, they're outside under an overhang so we'll see how they are tomorrow.
Awesome. Thanks for the detailed response. It's really interesting. And I'm sure you are correct on your dates and ages, I wasn't at all doubting you, I just really didn't know even immature seeds actually formed that quickly. Yes, you can tell they're immature, but hell, I've gotten freebies that don't look terribly better than these, lol. I really am surprised four of five popped, and maybe the fifth would have! I can't wait to see what they do.

Damn @Stunger, I'm coming over to get a few trichome photography lessons, these are amazing. And beautiful. The sativas are so damn exotic looking, and congrats on how long you've managed to keep them viable and rocking. Wow, long grow, as you knew going in, but still it's a long damn time. Looks every bit like it's going to be worth it though!

So those 4 seeds of the 5 that you planted.....those seeds formed from the point you applied the pollen in just 16 days to viability? Am I understanding this correctly? WOW. I had no idea they formed that quickly, especially to the point where they will actually sprout.

Have you ever popped seeds this young before of any strain? Do you have any reference points at all? And if not, what's your take on how immature seeds will grow once popped? (obviously you're ((we're, lol)) about to find out). I'm thinking and hoping that since your tap roots are emerging seemingly strong and healthy and thickish, maybe there won't be any expression of immaturity in the growth whatsoever. Or maybe an immature seed will produce a more immature-ish plant? It's a fascinating experiment, thanks for sharing it.
Jon I love your enthusiasm! I can add to the mystery with my two Candidas going outdoors. They were from imperfect seeds(but loved :) ) for lack of a better explanation, had a hard start and seem strong now. I expect a summer grow from them and they'll be in the journal of course.

Jon I love your enthusiasm! I can add to the mystery with my two Candidas going outdoors. They were from imperfect seeds(but loved :) ) for lack of a better explanation, had a hard start and seem strong now. I expect a summer grow from them and they'll be in the journal of course.
Lol! You get me excited with all you have going on, and I'm always excited to learn stuff, which happens in your journal in spades!

Update - 4 Mulanje seedlings from immature 16 day old seeds

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! I mentioned I planted the 4 sprouted seeds. This is how they were yesterday, all had broken the soil, 3 required assistance with helmet removal.

Closer up they looked like this

This morning it seems that slugs have damaged them overnight :(

It is raining currently. I will probably have to try again another time, but I will have to remember to scatter some slug and snail pellets around when I do. Anyway, I am just documenting it for the record. All the best!

Sorry about the slugs, Stunger- But, you proved their viability, so, slugs or not, you're going to lots of seeds for next season (or whenever you choose to grow them)
Are you going to keep a few of them going despite the slug damage?
That first pic of the damage doesn't look too bad...

Sorry about the slugs, Stunger- But, you proved their viability, so, slugs or not, you're going to lots of seeds for next season (or whenever you choose to grow them)
Cheers Carcass! Yes I will have plenty of seeds going forward. These current ones I will let carry on but I think the slugs will be back, I could do with getting some of that copper tape and putting it around the pots to deter them.
I dont look for amber on sativas I find it makes them sleepy compared to clear and milky resin.
I wouldn't stress over leaving them much longer if they were mine I would chop them soon rather than risk damage from rain and mold.
The close ups of the buds look fine to me cold wet weather wont help them mature.
Thanks Tang! I had been thinking about what your thoughts would be on when to chop. Currently there is not much threat of amber but yes I'll look to do soon.

That's what I thought! Screw the slugs, grow that one out!! There's got to be any number of slug free spots you can get them started in anyway, no? It's not like you need a ton of light at the moment.....maybe?

They're coming in perfect for immature seeds! Not so immature then! Some (few) just don't get black lines in them. Do the originals?
I have found that what I would call my immature, lighter colored seeds, actually have a good germination rate.
My opinion is that they will grow as well as their "mature" sisters and brothers from the same plant. There is
variability when growing from seeds, compared to cloning, so I have not kept track of what plants came from mature or immature seeds.

That's what I thought! Screw the slugs, grow that one out!! There's got to be any number of slug free spots you can get them started in anyway, no? It's not like you need a ton of light at the moment.....maybe?
Cheers Jon, I am happy to grow them out but I probably need some slug pellets scattered around the pots. I'll check this morning, they may be 'eaten' by now.
They're coming in perfect for immature seeds! Not so immature then! Some (few) just don't get black lines in them. Do the originals?
Cheers Otter, yes the originals were dark with dark markings.
I have found that what I would call my immature, lighter colored seeds, actually have a good germination rate.
My opinion is that they will grow as well as their "mature" sisters and brothers from the same plant. There is
variability when growing from seeds, compared to cloning, so I have not kept track of what plants came from mature or immature seeds.
Thanks 73, I was surprised that 4 out of 5 germinated easily for being just 16 days old.

That's cool you got them going, pity about the damage. Hope the weather hasn't been too bad there. Lots of wind and cold rain here.
Cheers Joe, I think some damage is to be expected, that's nature, and from what I understand it triggers pathways in the plant that produce more oils to deter pests, so on that basis if pests don't kill a plant then they may help it become a bit more potent, one can hope eh.
It has been blowing here a bit too, tomorrow as well apparently, and then after that it should be fine again and then I'll probably chop one or both.

Cheers Joe, I think some damage is to be expected, that's nature, and from what I understand it triggers pathways in the plant that produce more oils to deter pests, so on that basis if pests don't kill a plant then they may help it become a bit more potent, one can hope eh.
It has been blowing here a bit too, tomorrow as well apparently, and then after that it should be fine again and then I'll probably chop one or both.
Haha, yeah one can hope alright. More potent works for me too :laugh:

Good luck with the harvest.
All the hard work is finally about to pay off :yahoo:

Thanks 7!

I fell behind here, but oh my, I’m all caught up now!! Wow Stunger. Very cool to see those beans pop, and they looked great too. Damn slugs. I’m glad I didn’t miss any harvests, they’re certainly hanging in there for you. Trichomes are looking good, I’d say they’ve entered the harvest window now. :thumb:

Good luck with the harvest.
All the hard work is finally about to pay off :yahoo:
Thanks Joe!
I fell behind here, but oh my, I’m all caught up now!! Wow Stunger. Very cool to see those beans pop, and they looked great too. Damn slugs. I’m glad I didn’t miss any harvests, they’re certainly hanging in there for you. Trichomes are looking good, I’d say they’ve entered the harvest window now. :thumb:
Cheers HH! Yep, it was a surprise to me with the ease that the seeds popped. I'm not too bothered about the slugs as it was an unintended grow. Some partial harvesting already done, and will chop the rest very soon.

Update - Final days - another partial harvest - Hon/Pan - Malawi/Ethiopian x Mal - immature Mulanje seedling

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! We are getting increasingly closer to the sharp end of the grow. I spotted a few small bits of either stem/bud dying off or pest damage that I removed. The majority that I removed has no damage but contains within it small bits of damage so I am using the removal as a partial harvest at around 19.5 weeks of flowering.

The final days of the plants on the balcony

Partial harvest/pest damage removal

I did another round of partial harvesting to include removal of some small bits of pest damage. In total I guess I have lost about 25% of the Hon/Pan to damage, but the actual damage to the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje has been so small it would probably fit in a matchbox.

Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras

Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje

Some seeds harvested so far from the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje

Mulanje seedling growing from an immature 16 day old seed

This is out in the weather, and has already been hit by wind, rain and slugs which have eaten 1 cotyledon as well as the tip of 1 of it's first leaves. The other 3 seedlings look worse for wear, slug eaten and weather beaten and are not likely to make it.

Thanks for dropping by, keep well, and may your gardening efforts be dank and productive! :ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom