Stunger's Organic Soil Stealth Balcony: Landrace Mulanje & Other Sativas

Update on the 2 Sativas

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! Now that the Mango Sherbert has gone, I can focus on the 2 remaining plants, both of which I am aiming to harvest in about 2-3 weeks time.

Now the Mango Sherbert is clear from the balcony, there is a lot more space to manoeuvre around the plants, and turn them around for maintenance. Next grow I intend to prune off all weak growth, and also not LST, but I think instead top, whether mainline, quad line or hexline, but LST I found a struggle for these 2, as their mainstems are a bit long to try and continually bend around.

Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras

This plant more than the others has lost a fair bit of her buds to I guess caterpillar damage followed by bud rot. I have pruned off a bunch unfortunately. But she does have big thick bats that allow the damp humidity that mould spores like once caterpillars have done the initial damage.

But anyway, I am rapt to have this strain to try out and see how she goes. So far it is looking a tricky choice for my environment. However, I feel if she hadn't got insect damage then she wouldn't have any bud rot, because those buds of her's that have been undamaged by pests have not had any problems with rain or rot. It is just dealing with the pests, without them the weather conditions are ok.

It is shame to lose some of her buds, but she will still produce sufficient for me to have a very good evaluation and test of her delights. Already I have scissor chopped and quick dried some and found it to be a very nice high, cerebral and blissful.

I found several seeds on the balcony tiles that must have fell out of the chopped off pieces of rot affected buds. I couldn't be sure which plants they were from so I threw them on the lawn. There should be plenty of seeds for me to harvest where I can accurately place their parentage.

Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje

I feel she might be the 'bolter'. I haven't yet tried any early tester of her buds yet. But the reputation of Malawi is of high potency, and she is looking very nice and frosty.

The other observation is, that she doesn't appear to have any pest damage on her. I don't know if that means she is bloody fantastic for my environment, or just that the other 2 plants were favoured as being more tasty by the pests.

But if she proves to provide a wonderful high, then I feel that she may provide some great natural genetics for my location. If that is the case I will look to bred with her on a future grow.

Anyway, thanks for dropping by. Keep safe and well, and wishing you green dank sticky gardens! :ganjamon:
Good stuff mate!!

Huh?! I never really thought of it that way. I know caterpillar shit creates a horrible bud, and fast! But I think you may be onto something there. Because it does not tend to spread like botrytis. So if the caterpillar damage and their excrement, kill the flower, I wonder what kind of mold it is. Maybe it is not a mold?! As soon as they start chomping on the stem, the flower starts to die. Takes about 2-3 days and your flower is a nice toasty brown. So it would be some sort of necrosis, but maybe not mold at all? :hmmmm: :hmmmm:

I don't have anywhere near enough brain cells to properly process this theory, but it makes sense that it doesn't spread like mold spores would. If it was mold...it would spread. Wouldn't matter what species it is...right? Gummy and munchies are setting in. I have to go do some research.
Maybe it isn't mold, I'm not sure. I just remember taking a closer look at the damage wondering why it isn't spreading because botrytis was spreading on some of my other plants located in a different area, why wasn't it spreading on these plants, then I realized the damage is only where the caterpillars have been and also this "mold" is slightly different looking than botrytis. It's a different species of mold, or as you pointed out it may not be mold at all but something totally different.

Good morning @Stunger Or is it afternoon for you by now.
Hope everything is going well.
It's sad to see your garden coming down.
It was such a bright uplifting thread always positive and very informative. :love:
Watching the sun shine on your beautiful ladies all winter helped keep a smile on my face.
Anticipating my own garden at the same time. ;)
At least you won't be Shoveling snow while you watch us now. :rofl:
What are the winters like for you there?

Stay safe :cheesygrinsmiley:
Bill

Good morning @Stunger Or is it afternoon for you by now.
Hope everything is going well.
It's sad to see your garden coming down.
It was such a bright uplifting thread always positive and very informative. :love:
Watching the sun shine on your beautiful ladies all winter helped keep a smile on my face.
Anticipating my own garden at the same time. ;)
At least you won't be Shoveling snow while you watch us now. :rofl:
What are the winters like for you there?

Stay safe :cheesygrinsmiley:
Bill
Hi Bill, well it was the afternoon earlier but now it's the evening! Actually harvest of 1 plant has allowed me to get amongst the 2 remaining ones much more easily which is great, actually about time.
We have the last month of Autumn/Fall starting tomorrow, and soon I'll looking northwards towards your grows to give myself some smiles in our off season!
I'm in the north end of the country which is the warmer end I guess (closer to the equator), so we only tend to get 2 or 3 days a year that approach zero C, no shovelling snow but we pine for the sun all the same. Hopefully over winter we get some fishing in, which is usually snapper if we're lucky.
all the best.

It may not be botrytis, but a different type of mold that doesn't spread. This other type of mold is caused by caterpillar fecal matter (just a guess). Obviously I can't be sure it isn't botrytis but it's just something I've noticed with my own plants and the caterpillar damage/mold damage to my plants this season. If it wasn't spreading then it's the other type of mold which so far I've been unable to identify but it's nowhere near as bad as botrytis because the damage stays "local".
Huh?! I never really thought of it that way. I know caterpillar shit creates a horrible bud, and fast! But I think you may be onto something there. Because it does not tend to spread like botrytis. So if the caterpillar damage and their excrement, kill the flower, I wonder what kind of mold it is. Maybe it is not a mold?! As soon as they start chomping on the stem, the flower starts to die. Takes about 2-3 days and your flower is a nice toasty brown. So it would be some sort of necrosis, but maybe not mold at all? :hmmmm: :hmmmm:

I don't have anywhere near enough brain cells to properly process this theory, but it makes sense that it doesn't spread like mold spores would. If it was mold...it would spread. Wouldn't matter what species it is...right? Gummy and munchies are setting in. I have to go do some research.
I don't know if is from caterpillar's chewing the buds up, or shitting in them or what, but for me a mold breakout doesn't occur without some caterpillar damage occurring first. The end result I see is a bunch of dead bud that broken apart usually has a grey mold texture to it. What sort of mold I don't know, botrytis sounds really nasty but whatever it is, it isn't good, and pest damage seems to precipitate it. For my location, I feel it is ok because of the wind we get, but pest damage makes it a whole new ballgame.
Good stuff mate!!
Thanks Porky!

Thanks HH, yes that was the droughted Mango Sherbert.
I thought so, that’s very interesting. I forget, did you say you grew that one before? Just wondering for comparison purposes. Impressive for sure.

I thought so, that’s very interesting. I forget, did you say you grew that one before? Just wondering for comparison purposes. Impressive for sure.
Yes, I grew a Mango Sherbert last year which was also a very nice frosty plant (it wasn't droughted).

Earlier in this grow, I didn't really feel I could see much difference between the 2, except for a more 'gnarly' appearance that was explainable by the droughting stress, but by the end I felt that the backs of the sugar leaves often appeared denser with trichomes, more so than I would have otherwise expected.

The droughting for me was about looking to create a drought stress/survival response to the plant's buds that was favourable to potency. But I don't actually know if potency is all concentrated in the trichomes or whether there are cannabinoids in other bud tissues that also become enhanced by droughting, which if there are and the trichomes are just part of it, then I'd like to know more about what else and where.

That Mango looked a ripper, you could almost feel her tackiness. It looks like the trichomes are pretty close to where you want them. Although they seem to be hard to clearly identify amber verses gnarly looking trichomes.
The other girls are progressing nicely .
Thanks Zeb, I presume there is more to it than just the trichomes, but overall the early test buds of the MS that I have been vaping have been very very encouraging. I have made a few errors on this grow and learnt more things to help my grows in the future. But overall it is looking very good for the potency of this year's plants which was one of my main objectives for this grow.

I'm glad I made it here in time for the harvest fun. Congratulations on the Mango harvest - very pretty and frosty buds for sure! :bravo:

Update - 17 weeks since first pistils spotted on the 2 sativas

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! The weather has returned to being fairly settled, some sun and warmth during the days, with cooling overnight temperatures. I will look to harvest in 2 - 3 weeks depending on appearances and weather conditions. This weekend I will look to prune off the stems that I selectively pollinated because the seeds will be totally mature now and they'll be dropping out of their bracts as I write, so I want to at least claim the majority of my seed harvest, not the stone tiles. So once I do that I have some 17 week 'testers' to compare to the 16 week 'testers'.

Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras

I am enjoying what I have tried of her so far, which to me she still looks to have some time yet to go. I pruned some pest damaged part off her a week ago or so ago. I had to because of damage/rot developing over multiple colas. It is a shame, she had some big solid 'bats' on her, and I guess they are just too attractive for the local pests, probably white butterfly caterpillars. But that's ok as she will still provide a good amount of bud for me to consider her qualities and enjoy over the coming year.

Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje

I feel very excited about this one. I have only had one small tiny bit that I noticed on the tiles one day a week or so ago that I must have ripped off on jostling the plant, it was barely dry and I stuffed the whole thing unground into the dynavap, just enough for 1 cap. It seemed very promising for it's high when full maturity is still ahead. So in a few days time I will prune off the stems that I previously selectively pollinated with Mulanje pollen, and then I will have a good amount of her bud to test. So far, going on when I first saw pistils, she has been flowering for 17 weeks. I think she has a powerful high to her, but also, she appears virtually untouched by pest damage, plus with her late flowering she loves cold nights, which is just great for my environment, snuggle closer my dear! These 2 plants won't give me masses of bud but all the same it'll be plenty for the year ahead, and so far, early testers of all 3 plants seem top shelf.

Looking ahead

I can see first amber trichomes developing on the Malawi/Panama, but on the Honduras/Panama there seems less. I'll have more mature buds to test by this time next week. The grow is coming to an end but it is also getting exciting because it is drawing to close for what looks like a top shelf outcome for me, and I can't ask for more than that.
Anyway, thanks for dropping by, keep well, and I hope you're enjoying some great home grown too! :ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom