SWICK Watering Systems: Letting The Plant Water Itself

I was hoping for a little boost in RH. But I'll be growing in the middle of the summer so I shouldn't have to worry too much.

Sue, I'm thinking I am going to have to build a swick tray like you said a while ago....I was thinking multiple layers of plastic lining in a wood frame that's a few inches deep to make it waterproof then just dump the perlite in. Would you by chance know if something like pond liner would work or is that over kill?

If you have a pond liner and it will fit your space I'd go for it. I'm thinking of a hard one here. We've had many over the years. Contractor trash bags are worth considering for a small space. They're extra big and extra thick. More expensive than regular heavy duty bags, but you'll find uses for the leftovers.

I have a good deal of humidity, but I want it right now and I think I can remove most with my exhaust fans when it's necessary. Have a bunch of small flies. Working on them. Overall I like it so far. :thumb:

Are they small flies or fungus gnats? CO had mentioned using dunks in the SWICK and I'm wondering if he might be on to something there, although I don't think they lay eggs in the perlite. How would the larvae survive? Sticky traps are a good thing. I waited too long to get mine.

I have the exact same issue. 70% RH. I wonder if the outside weather affects it, because it wasnt like that yesterday, but today its 86% here. Its just that time of year for us. Spring muggyness and storms.

Are they small flies or fungus gnats? CO had mentioned using dunks in the SWICK and I'm wondering if he might be on to something there, although I don't think they lay eggs in the perlite. How would the larvae survive? Sticky traps are a good thing. I waited too long to get mine.

I'm really not sure to be honest. I suspect they came from the soil. .thing is,, , these will be outside soon. My greenhouse will be up and running early next week. Once that's done they'll most likely go outside. I might run a small heater at night for a week or two. But, that will be much less energy use compared to even my new cfk bar. I'm going to have bugs. I'll be using been neem once I'm able. Plus a few other methods.

Sticky strips I put down yesterday have some occupants. But, they also got a few lady bugs :(

I'm really not sure to be honest. I suspect they came from the soil. .thing is,, , these will be outside soon. My greenhouse will be up and running early next week. Once that's done they'll most likely go outside. I might run a small heater at night for a week or two. But, that will be much less energy use compared to even my new cfk bar. I'm going to have bugs. I'll be using been neem once I'm able. Plus a few other methods.

Sticky strips I put down yesterday have some occupants. But, they also got a few lady bugs :(

So sorry about the lady bugs. I know, it hurts me too to kill little earthlings that were only in the wrong place at the wrong time.

From my studies of successful grows that neem is your best long-term method for IPM. I need to get some myself. I keep saying "next month" and then I do things like build soil again instead. LOL.

I bet they explode once you get them into the greenhouse. The light is wonderful in greenhouses. I'll watch that closely. I have lots of catching up to do. My thread notifications got away from me over the past week. :laughtwo:

I had an explosion of lady bugs in my shed. Almost wanted to video tape it. I've been running my lights a bit to test temps, keep my pots warm, and one day I'll have plants. I hope. Anyway, yesterday I cranked it up, ran all eight bulbs to test temps, went back a few hours later and tent was 90 and lady bugs were everywhere, everywhere. I assume, the handful I put in there last fall must have mated. And maybe me cranking the lights/temp got them active. I found five lady bugs on sticky strips this morning. But I saw countless other's. So,,, I've killed a few unintentionally, but, I think I've got a few more doing the deed.

If you have a pond liner and it will fit your space I'd go for it. I'm thinking of a hard one here. We've had many over the years. Contractor trash bags are worth considering for a small space. They're extra big and extra thick. More expensive than regular heavy duty bags, but you'll find uses for the leftovers.

SO you think the perlite wouldn't be at risk of cutting through a couple layers of heavy duty trash bag if they were all glued together or something? Perlite is a pretty soft stone so it seems like it would be safe as long as I'm not applying alot of pressure when I move the plants around.

I have the exact same issue. 70% RH. I wonder if the outside weather affects it, because it wasnt like that yesterday, but today its 86% here. Its just that time of year for us. Spring muggyness and storms.

Unless you have a fan that is filtering the air in your space at a very high rate while also being climate/humidity controlled, outside conditions will always make there way in to some extent unfortunately.

This morning its 57% in there and I didnt do anything. So, yep, has to be outside conditions. Im keeping my eye on it.

SO you think the perlite wouldn't be at risk of cutting through a couple layers of heavy duty trash bag if they were all glued together or something? Perlite is a pretty soft stone so it seems like it would be safe as long as I'm not applying alot of pressure when I move the plants around.

No need to glue them CC. They won't be going anywhere. If you want more layers just stack one on top of another. Contractor's bags are very high mill. The perlite won't damage them.

Good informative thread here. Is this system used for veg and flower?

It's used from seed to harvest and beyond Sephiroth420. I'm running no-till, along with many others, and even after the harvest the reservoirs are maintained until the next planting. I never have to worry about the pot drying out and damaging my soil community.

Ok sue im probably going to so with this swick method. I have yet to take to the shope to come up with how it will be done in my space but I have a question.... is there any supplemental watering from the top side of the pots needed or is the swick going to be enough?. And im assuming those are air pots?

Good to hear Atrain. The SWICK will take care of basic hydration. I do occasional light top watering with a strong spray to activate the dunks as I battle the gnat populations and I do the regular enzyme teas and drenches, but there's really no need for additional top watering. You'll be pleased. LOS works best with the SWICK and fabric pots perform best. They allow for the air exchange to occur all the way through the height of the pot. Better root growth too.

Just had a little read and caught up! :)
Excellent work bringing this methodd to all our attention. I may have to give this a go myself! :)
Maybe this has been raised and I missed it, but just wondering to myself if sticking some air stones in the swick medium to keep the water oxygenated would be of any benefit? ?? :)

Anyway bravo SweetSue :)

Why thank you LA. That means a lot coming from one who has made such a positive contribution to our community.

The air stone is unnecessary. The water picks up additional oxygen as it wicks up through the perlite and, if you're smart enough to be using fabric pots, the roots get additional oxygen through the pot itself.

The system was designed for organic soils with fabric pots, but it's by no means limited to that. You can use hard pots and you should be able to use other soils. The big trick is drenching without polluting the reservoirs, an easy to overcome challenge if you simply remove the pots to another staging area for feeding or amending. That also gives you the chance to rub the exiting roots off.

I'm so pleased we caught your eye LA. Your life could stand to be easier too. :love:

:Namaste:

Please feel free to post some pictures of it here LA. That would really help the cause. Someday, LA. You and me and a dynamite flux. I'm upgrading to a proper tent, so that time is growing closer.

Well ya said posting a pic was ok :)
So this might well be a world first lol. A Fluxed Swicked Blue Dream Auto! :) :)
20150414_195106.jpg

Back
Top Bottom