The gas lantern routine

Icemud, do you know when/why the timing changed from: 12-5.5-1.5-6? Also wondering if a 11-5-1-7 would be alright to use or would it harm? I'm starting glr coir hempy buckets under LEDs (I'm cheap) and timing I suggested would save more peak period usage of power. Thanks peace

Running a GLR veg some strains like OG Kush, Blue God and Kushage all flowered. These same strains flowered under 16/8 but not 18/6. This is personal experience.

Showing preflowers is fine. I've run 3-5 grows, can't recall, using glr on Kosher Kush, Holy Grail Kush, and Martian Kush. All preflowered, none went into flower, all 6-8 weeks veg to flip.

What's the difference between pre-flowering and flowering then, outside of the light cycle change? When my plants started pre-flowering, which were when the female plants started producing pistils, I flipped that day but noticed nothing that would signify that they were now flowering, they just continued to produce more pistils at more bud sites.

showing sex. They dont have to be in flower to show sex. Probably poorly termed on my part.

Can anyone answer weather the one hour on is for any growth or is it just to wake it to stop going into flower? Why I ask is I'm wondering if 4x23w CFLs would be enough light for this hour in a 6x2.75 foot grow space instead of having the LEDs turned back on. Thanks peace
Edit: also clones, can they be started under glr?

Any cannabis plant, whether from seed or clone, can be grown under GLR during vegetation. The hour of light in the middle of the dark cycle is indeed to wake the plant up from its nightime routine of flowering hormones production. This interruption of the dark cycle destroys some of the flowering hormones that have been created. I've seen where some growers that are using HIDs use CFLs for the one hour of light at night to save wear and tear on their ballasts so it doesn't have to be the same level of light, just an hour of light interruption during the dark cycle. Your 4x23 watt CFLs should be more than enough for this purpose.

Any cannabis plant, whether from seed or clone, can be grown under GLR during vegetation. The hour of light in the middle of the dark cycle is indeed to wake the plant up from its nightime routine of flowering hormones production. This interruption of the dark cycle destroys some of the flowering hormones that have been created. I've seen where some growers that are using HIDs use CFLs for the one hour of light at night to save wear and tear on their ballasts so it doesn't have to be the same level of light, just an hour of light interruption during the dark cycle. Your 4x23 watt CFLs should be more than enough for this purpose.

I am sold on the GLR and also Diminishing for flowering. first grow will be vegging this weekend. My business partner(not 4 mmj but renewable energy installation) used to grow and he was telling me to run 24/7 but he is old school and read books to learn to grow I have the opportunity to read the interwebs to learn from y'all now lol!

New to this forum. Thanks for bein pretty cool. Cannot wait to post my first grow!

:Namaste:

Hey everyone, this is my first post(I'm not very talkative unless I think I can signifigantly contribute). I've been looking into this and I have some supportive information for GLR from the scientific side.

Flowering is controlled by the presence of Phytochrome Far Red (PFR) which is a product of being exposed to photons traveling slower than 400 THz and resonating greater than 750 nanometers(I've seen green tinted flashlights that are advertised as not upsetting photoperiods when you check in on them, although this would only work if you had some manner of photonic clean room). PFR has a metabolic half life somewhere around 6 hours, meaning that after about 6 hours there should be no more PFR in the plant's system. Flowering is a by product of the relative amounts of PFR to Phytochrome Red (PR) as opposed to the cumulative amount of light, similar to how pregnancy symptoms like lactation are products of the relative hormones ratios in women as opposed to the amount embryos.

The Gas Lantern Routine use an hour of PFR producing light in the middle of the dark cycle to prevent the plant from being without PFR for enough time that the PR, for lack of a better term, takes over and forces flowering to begin.

Hey everyone, I am a firm believer in the GLR and have used it for over 20 strains now with no problems, well until recently. I still will continue to use GLR for veg for all of my future grows, but I do want to point out that I recently saw this.

My OGiesel which is a OGxSuperskunkxDiesel cross is so far the only plant that has not really wanted to cooperate during GLR. I have now had this plant under GLR for about 3-4 months. Just the other day I checked my tent and noticed that the Ogiesel was showing more pistils than normal. I've had a few strains like my blackberry kush and now my ogiesel show more white pistils than normal under the GLR but they have always just been a few pistils and they veg fine and flower fine, however after a few more days went by, I notice that my OGiesel had full blown flowers forming. Like you would see after about 15-20 days of flowering after the stretch... HUGH???

I plan on getting my 3rd tent up and running next week so I will be putting her under 24/0 lighting until she reverts, but it was very interesting on why this happened?? Could it be the LED? Could it be the strain? Could it just be the GLR?? Could it be a 4 month veg time and the plant is trying to go into survival mode and reproduce?? not sure.

Here are the photos of my OGiesel.... Still in Veg under the GLR...

I just wanted to point out that even though I have successfully used GLR for many many strains successfully with no problems, I did run into 1 strain that did not want to cooperate. I will continue to use GLR for future because it works very well, but also wanted to put it out there that it may not work 100% with all strains...
DSC085761.JPG
DSC085771.JPG
DSC085781.JPG
DSC085791.JPG

Is the 3-4 months of vegging only apply to this plant or do you veg all of your plants for that long? My thoughts are that since GLR allows the plants to create and store more flowering hormones than other vegetating light cycles, not including 12/12, that after a while the plant almost has to flower since there are so many flowering hormones coursing through her. I don't think that GLR would be a good cycle to use for mothers or other longer term vegging situations, that's not what GLR is meant to do anyways. It's meant to allow the plant to reach sexual maturity in the fastest, most efficient manner.

Is the 3-4 months of vegging only apply to this plant or do you veg all of your plants for that long? My thoughts are that since GLR allows the plants to create and store more flowering hormones than other vegetating light cycles, not including 12/12, that after a while the plant almost has to flower since there are so many flowering hormones coursing through her. I don't think that GLR would be a good cycle to use for mothers or other longer term vegging situations, that's not what GLR is meant to do anyways. It's meant to allow the plant to reach sexual maturity in the fastest, most efficient manner.

I usually don't veg the plants this long, I actually was keeping this one as a sort of part time mom until I was able to clone her and use the genetics in my upcoming seed project. I think that your right, and I was thinking the same that there are so many hormones building up it might have just irked this one to flower... I think once I put her back in 18/6 or 24/0 lighting she will go back into veg...

I have kept other mothers for longer under the GLR with no issue including blue dream, pre 98 bubba and some OG's, but also wasn't using LED and had a CMH going in the tent...might be part of the cause or it also might be the strain genetics...Either way for the most part GLR hasn't given me any issues up until now. Even the blackberry kush I ran kept throwing pistils, but after a week or so of "acting up" she would revert back to veg..

I've been using glr for some time too. Recently, I had some clones that I took from GLR plants. After rooting, I moved them into my tent under 18/6 veg to get them going. They had been showing pistils as clones, and stayed that way for at least 2 more weeks after moving into veg tent. I finally clipped off the pistils like topping, and they reverted to full veg. Healthy now, but initially in early growth they were coming out with single leafs rather than fan leaf.

I'm running this grow under 18/6 still but will go back to glr. Strain was Holy Grail Kush.

I've done 3 side by sides comparing GLR with 24 on and with 18-6 for the veg cycle.

I find no measurable difference in yield or size of flower between all 3 grows.

The main difference of course is less electricity used which is really beneficial but another great benefit is after switching to 12-12, the flowering occurs at least 5 days sooner than running the lights 24 or 18-6 so I'm sold on GLR and strongly recommend it (of course depending on strain etc...).

I've also reverted many plants from the flower cycle back to the veg cycle after about 2-3 weeks of flowering.
It takes a couple of weeks for the change to show and the first leaves are usually a single leaf (but could be normal looking - I've seen both) than leaves growing thereafter look normal.

As the plant reverts, you'll get at least 4 stems growing through the flower.
If you chop it half way through the flower after a week or so after starting the change, you'll end of with 6-10 stems which will need support later on but it's actually a good way to start a SCROG.

Most plants respond very well but a few will become stunted. If I have room, I let the stunted grow because they end up looking like miniature full grown plants (really cool looking) and the quality is fine but the yield is what you'd expect from a miniature.

Haven't tried anything with LED's yet, my next project.

Timing for glr, I'm going to do a 12-6-1-5, I'm getting programable leds, anybody see anything wrong with this timing schedule? Thanks in advance :peace:

Hey everyone, I am a firm believer in the GLR and have used it for over 20 strains now with no problems, well until recently. I still will continue to use GLR for veg for all of my future grows, but I do want to point out that I recently saw this.

My OGiesel which is a OGxSuperskunkxDiesel cross is so far the only plant that has not really wanted to cooperate during GLR. I have now had this plant under GLR for about 3-4 months. Just the other day I checked my tent and noticed that the Ogiesel was showing more pistils than normal. I've had a few strains like my blackberry kush and now my ogiesel show more white pistils than normal under the GLR but they have always just been a few pistils and they veg fine and flower fine, however after a few more days went by, I notice that my OGiesel had full blown flowers forming. Like you would see after about 15-20 days of flowering after the stretch... HUGH???

I plan on getting my 3rd tent up and running next week so I will be putting her under 24/0 lighting until she reverts, but it was very interesting on why this happened?? Could it be the LED? Could it be the strain? Could it just be the GLR?? Could it be a 4 month veg time and the plant is trying to go into survival mode and reproduce?? not sure.

Here are the photos of my OGiesel.... Still in Veg under the GLR...

I just wanted to point out that even though I have successfully used GLR for many many strains successfully with no problems, I did run into 1 strain that did not want to cooperate. I will continue to use GLR for future because it works very well, but also wanted to put it out there that it may not work 100% with all strains...
DSC085761.JPG
DSC085771.JPG
DSC085781.JPG
DSC085791.JPG

I usually don't veg the plants this long, I actually was keeping this one as a sort of part time mom until I was able to clone her and use the genetics in my upcoming seed project. I think that your right, and I was thinking the same that there are so many hormones building up it might have just irked this one to flower... I think once I put her back in 18/6 or 24/0 lighting she will go back into veg...

I have kept other mothers for longer under the GLR with no issue including blue dream, pre 98 bubba and some OG's, but also wasn't using LED and had a CMH going in the tent...might be part of the cause or it also might be the strain genetics...Either way for the most part GLR hasn't given me any issues up until now. Even the blackberry kush I ran kept throwing pistils, but after a week or so of "acting up" she would revert back to veg..

I was searching all over for an answer and what do I know, a perfect thread on my home forum. Lol a search here would have been smart.

I'm having similar issues. I'm using a LED of unknown brand, 11 spectrum. I've flowered a plant quite nicely under it.

My syntax doesn't haven't any problems. She trucks along just fine no signs of overloaded flower hormones. However, my 3 month old extrema grows like veg but has been throwing pistils and is covered in trichs. Fairly slow growing, super tight internodes lots of pistils, but no stretch and no buds, just extreme preflowers. I also have a couple other strains that act like that. My blue hammer bonsai is only 2 months old and barely grows and has lots of pistils. Not budding though.

The plants that have more pistils also seem harder to root.

My new plants from seed are going great.

I also wonder if my LED's spectrum has anything to do with this.

Considering a small mother tent with 18/6 and t5s..

Icemud, do you know when/why the timing changed from: 12-5.5-1.5-6? Also wondering if a 11-5-1-7 would be alright to use or would it harm? I'm starting glr coir hempy buckets under LEDs (I'm cheap) and timing I suggested would save more peak period usage of power. Thanks peace

I'm not aware of GLR changing to the 12-5.5-1.5-6. I don't know if this would work, it might, but the GLR works because it not only toys with the Pfr and PR flowering hormones, but also it works with the plants circadian rhythm. I don't know by alternating the schedule if it will work, but it may. I really can't comment on anything but the standard 12-5.5-1-5.5.

Back
Top Bottom