The New Autoflower Topping Thread

I have a general question about autos. I,m into my first grow, I,m growing Northern Lights. The plant has been growing very slowly but the last week or so it has been gaining about an inch a day. The plant has been healthy looking through out the grow. It is now about 50 days old and is 19" high and about the same wide. I havent started bloom ferts yet because plant still seams to be growing.
Am I doing right or should I start Bloom fertilzers. Or am too late. Please looking for some wisdom out there thanks

Welcome to :420:
Can we get a pic to see what we are talking about.....has it started flowering?

:circle-of-love:

Welcome to :420:
Can we get a pic to see what we are talking about.....has it started flowering?

:circle-of-if it's a auto and Northern light it has to by now

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I just want to make sure :love:

When growth accelerates like you described, thats what's referred to as the stretch. She's building herself up nice and strong to support the weight of her fruit. You should have been giving her bloom nutes since around week 4/5. She's prob getting to the point where you would be giving her some ripening nutes. By all means start her on the bloom nutes ASAP. ...

When growth accelerates like you described, thats what's referred to as the stretch. She's building herself up nice and strong to support the weight of her fruit. You should have been giving her bloom nutes since around week 4/5. She's prob getting to the point where you would be giving her some ripening nutes. By all means start her on the bloom nutes ASAP. ...

Well I couldn't have said it any better my self

1b47a4de62749c2eee82fd3ab302c161.jpg
I love ❤️ this girl she's built like pyramid

One of my White Widow autos didn't get topped when the others did. Because of the disparity in height which would make lighting a problem I took the knife to her today. If she lives or dies it's on her. Only the tough survive the newbie knife!
(Ed. note: scissors actually)

e5555d3f3fb04405ab62fb25d8329f59.jpg

aa0977b429ea24f093ae2cf57a978ddc.jpg

f3a3b76cd2c926091f29d5fcb4fb986c.jpg

There are only preflowers it is not flowering plant seems to be maturing much slower than expected Yet plant seems very healthy. I can't figure out how to post pictures

Here and ready to learn. I've topped a few auto's with great success, and others without. Good genetics are the most important thing when it comes to the stability of topping an auto strain :thumb:

Here is a Fast Buds Pineapple Express Auto that went 55 days and yielded just over 2 oz. Topped at 10 days and LST'd her to keep her below 12"

420-magazine-mobile882618051.jpg

Dan,

When you say 55 days does that mean 55 days from the start of following? Or would that be from germination?

Thanks & sorry if this is a silly question - I am really new at this :

PacificPeach

I need a little guidance from the community. I started my first journal here 2 wks back when my girls broke ground. When should I top my autos? Cherry Bomb is at 14 days above. I have 4 sets of true leaves. Safe to say I should top her in 3-4 days when that 5th set establishes itself?? (She's smushed a little from the pony-tailing I've been doing the past couple days)
420-magazine-mobile285920244.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1195938298.jpg

Do you mind if I ask, what is ponytailing? Is that a different training technique?

PacificPeach

Here are a few snaps of my autos all topped and one double topped mad amount of colas and big for there strain
420-magazine-mobile1420780767.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1597678675.jpg

And a vid to show how big and many many tops Velk - 420 Magazine(16344462) on Vimeo

I used to think topping an auto would have foul affects on an auto but it just goes to show how good autos are strong big and just as good as photo strains ,with topping and training you can match the size and yeild of most photos with autos there's even autos that boast over 25% thc and the world record is a little over 30% on a photo Chem dawg #autopower #autotoppingthread #autobangbang can't wait for this thread to get massive and people
Will soon realise the greatness of autos ! Happy growing and happy topping .

Your plants look really healthy :) What does double topping mean exactly? When do you do the second topping?

Here's a few examples of my latest auto grow. Like I mentioned, I have grown many autos in my journey with 420mag. Each is different, but always a joy to train them the way YOU want.

Before
20161024_150651.jpg

After
20170106_100143.jpg

20170106_100152.jpg

Before
20161024_150705.jpg

After
20170106_100530.jpg

20170106_100539.jpg

Before
20161024_150717.jpg

After
20170106_100800.jpg

20170106_100806.jpg

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Edit: I almost forgot to show off my ultimate auto trainee, topped and fluxed to the max. Here's my award winning Leialoha from my second grow...
20160510_2006553.jpg

20160510_1444222.jpg

So you ripped once? Or multiple times? If so when? How often

I am along for the ride I have an auto she is almost done I topped her. At 4th node. Started flowering a day or 2 later. I didn't know this was a seed in the bottom of a bag grow.
420-magazine-mobile1140411263.jpg

The one on the right obviously not topped. She had major problems. It was originally planted in 100% miracle grow so it had watering and drainage issues almost killed her. So I did something crazy uprooted her washed the roots and put it in a coco Leca perlite mix. She didn't do anything for 2 weeks then boom growing like a weed lol.

Sent from my SM-N920V using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Wow these plants are very resilient!

Do you mind if I ask, what is ponytailing? Is that a different training technique?

Pony-tailing is a technique in which you take the uppermost growth and essentially put it into a ponytail. It closes up the top of the plant and allows lower nodes/bud sites to receive more light than they would have otherwise due to the upper growth shading and absorbing all of the lite. Essentially it stimulates secondary growth. I think there are some pics in my journal and also around the forum. Check it out. I've had pretty good results!!

Hey! I'm about 15 days from seed on my first grow - Blue Mystic Auto from Nirvana. So far she's grown very short and bushy - wise folks of the forum, any thoughts on whether I should try to train this girl? And if so, any tips? Right now she's maybe 4" tall and ~6" at her widest set of leaves.

1661457431155.png

PacificPeach
Ponytailing is another method of training were you tie up the top half of your plant in to a like ponytail like a woman's hair style with a soft bendy pipe cleaner or something really soft and this allows light to get to all the bottom nodes to get more light so they don't come out like pop corn you only do this for a set amount of hours then undo it

Your plants look really healthy :) What does double topping mean exactly? When do you do the second topping?

It just means it's been done double I topped it once at 14 days then again at around day 30 when was showing sighns of preflower it come out really big and strong

Back
Top Bottom