:ciao: Hey MrS. Sooooooooo, is that a hydro set up or just an automated watering set up? :thanks:
Hey Boo!
Those are filled 5 gal plastic pots with FFOF. There's about an inch of airspace below the top. I don't think I have the patience for hydro.

Hey Boo!
Those are filled 5 gal plastic pots with FFOF. There's about an inch of airspace below the top. I don't think I have the patience for hydro.
I thought that was what you were doing. Any concerns about mold/algae/whatever can go wrong with having the tops on them all the time, or do you have to lift and check them out daily/weekly? I ask because I’ve been holding off on my Spring/Summer due to some estate issues with my late brother that may cause me and the hubby to go out of town for a few days. I have a system for irrigating outside but would love one for inside (that works well!). Will it work without the tops on the pots? I’m definitely watching this new little surprise you have for us. :love: :thanks:

Any concerns about mold/algae/whatever can go wrong with having the tops on them all the time, or do you have to lift and check them out daily/weekly?
From what the manufacturer says, no. But they are trying to sell it, so unless I see differently I have to go by what they say. I didn't specifically look for reviews on that, but all the ones I did read nothing was mentioned of it.
Will it work without the tops on the pots? I’m definitely watching this new little surprise you have for us.
Not really, no. The matrix tops have holes in them. There is a circular ring attached to it that distributes the water to those channels with the holes. This is how the whole surface area becomes wet.

From what the manufacturer says, no. But they are trying to sell it, so unless I see differently I have to go by what they say. I didn't specifically look for reviews on that, but all the ones I did read nothing was mentioned of it.

Not really, no. The matrix tops have holes in them. There is a circular ring attached to it that distributes the water to those channels with the holes. This is how the whole surface area becomes wet.
Ah, I see. Well I’m looking forward to seeing how it works for you. Also, your Goo Goo Doll clone is gorgeous! :love:

I'm sure it works well (Dutch seems to have a handle on it), but I'm curious about cutting off all avenues for the soil to evaporate water if you ran them with a plastic pot. I guess it's kinda like solid plastic mulch then. :hmmmm:
Well I'm pretty sure the standard method of watering won't work. The timer can really only be on for a short period of time. The idea is to operate a feed cycle once per day for a minute. That is the base I'll be working around. There will be no wet/dry cycle. If you do, the pots dry out too much and when the feed pump kicks in the nutrients will blow past the soil straight through the bottom.
The soil will be kept damp more than moist. Enough for the roots to get oxygen and not enough so they are not rotting in water.

They can be used on fabric pots too, but I had a feeling the plastic pots would be easier to get started with.

Well I'm pretty sure the standard method of watering won't work. The timer can really only be on for a short period of time. The idea is to operate a feed cycle once per day for a minute. That is the base I'll be working around. There will be no wet/dry cycle. If you do, the pots dry out too much and when the feed pump kicks in the nutrients will blow past the soil straight through to the bottom.
The soil will be kept damp more than moist. Enough for the roots to get oxygen and not enough so they are not rotting in water.

They can be used on fabric pots too, but I had a feeling the plastic pots would be easier to get started with.
Very interesting (said like Arte Johnson in Laugh-In).

So it's a question of whether the wet-dry cycle is worth sacrificing for a simplified and automated watering process? Will you be running clones side by side perhaps...for science? Or just doing this for GDB's anecdote?

So it's a question of whether the wet-dry cycle is worth sacrificing for a simplified and automated watering process?
Well tbh, if I was to compare Dutchie's auto system to my hand watering I don't think there is anything for me to worry about, as far as a wet/dry cycle goes. I have not seen anything that would suggest that his yields, or product would be better by running a wet/dry cycle.
Will you be running clones side by side perhaps...for science?
Nope. I'll have to use my own judgement on whether it's better or worse. I know what my grows are like, so if I get a bunch of deficiencies or issues that I don't understand then I'll stop and go back to the basics.
Or just doing this for GDB's anecdote?
What's a GDB?

Hey everybody!
Been nursing this Pinkman Goo clone for a while. She's had quite a journey from the time she was stripped from her mother. Lights an inch over her head, pots that made her toes curl up, and a bastard of an owner that kept putting her under all kinds of stressful environments. She battled some PM too, but this weekend she should be ready for the prom!

:Rasta:

Been nursing this Pinkman Goo clone for a while. She's had quite a journey from the time she was stripped from her mother. Lights an inch over her head, pots that made her toes curl up, and a bastard of an owner that kept putting her under all kinds of stressful environments. She battled some PM too, but this weekend she should be ready for the prom!
She's looking lovely Mr S!
I'll be very interested in what you think of her when all grown dried and cured, I know StoneOtter's posted about enjoying his! :hookah:

Will you be running clones side by side perhaps...for science? Or just doing this for GDB's anecdote?
Have I finally got a brand name?! :yahoo:

Back
Top Bottom