WheelOFortune's - first turn

Hey WOF,
I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I have to say I am impressed with yours and Maxx's journals on rotational growing. I have read both your journals (not in one session..lol). Seeing everyone is waiting with anticipation on Maxx's return with his results..... I didn't want to post any questions to his thread as he will have alot to talk about before he replies to any questions. With the VG how often are the plants fed?

I know it takes approx 1 hour for a full rotation, so do you just feed once a day for one hour?

Hopefully I may get enough courage to post my grow and results.

Thanks for this thread, and GL with your Grow.

I have a list of strains that I had given to me that have done well in rotational gardens, I will dig them up and post them for you tomorrow.

Cheers,
OD

Wheel you have done a very good job we are grateful that you have given us the opportunity to see such a grow. What ever the out come you have learned and so have we.:thanks:

I know you will take off on the next run and get the harvest you wanted.:cheer:

Thanks again Wheel:bongrip:

Pan4

ONTDUDE,

welcome.
It actually takes about 45 minutes for a full rotation, and i am feeding them twice a day for 1.5 hours each. one starting when the lights go on and once 6 hours later.

this is probably more than it needs, but its not too much.

did you just buy a volks, or planning to? 420 magazine is going to be the home of rotational weed. maxx was the first, then me, a couple more journals might be going u soon. feel free to ask any questions. . . now for me there is not much to update day to day, just letting her finish up. will have more pics to post in a week or so.

Wheel you have done a very good job we are grateful that you have given us the opportunity to see such a grow. What ever the out come you have learned and so have we.:thanks:
Pan4

thanks PAN,
My journal is probably the best journal on roatationals IMO, just because you can see me make mistakes. I think that we often can learn a lot more by making mistakes, than by getting it right the first time. . . and I make plenty of them to learn from. lol. especially when you're just passively watching something, you don't learn much from watching someone else not make mistakes. (not that maxx doesn't make mistakes, the only other volks journal on the net)

Plus, i think people will be able to judge how well a person who is not a great grower can do with a system like this. and where the pitfalls are.

My first problem was that my clones were not all the best.

if i can scrounge up enough dough for an intellidose and maybe some better climate control and co2 control, i'll show you guys how bad i can do with ten grand in equipment lol. jk. jk.

:thanks:
WOF

Hello WOF,
Thanks for the warm welcome. It would be nice to have this site or at least one of the forums dedicated to rotational growing. I currently own a Omega Garden Model 10001. Its the white unit you see on their site, between the VG and the 20' monster. The unit is fairly self contained with 2 600W HPS ballasts and built very sturdy. I guess not too many customers were breaking down the doors to buy these units. The retailed them for about 9G new.

I will dig you up the strains I had given to me by OG that have done well in the wheel.

Cheers,
OD

cool. you got the big boy.
they were selling for 5,600 or so at the end of their retail life.
have you run any turns yet? whats you avg yield?
it woould be awesome to see a journal.

cool. you got the big boy.
they were selling for 5,600 or so at the end of their retail life.
have you run any turns yet? whats you avg yield?
it would be awesome to see a journal.

Yea its the big boy alright, I've had it for 4 months now, and I'm on my first turn right now. Took awhile to get enough mothers to load it up...lol
The previous owner was pulling 3-4 off it every cycle.

I would need to get more info on that tor button you spoke of earlier in your post before I would even attempt uploading any pics for big brother to see.

I did find that list of recommended strains for the OG.
1) NY Diesel
2) Strawberry Cough
3) Blackberry Kush
4) Happy Face
5) King Louie
6) Nebula
7) Champagne

I haven't heard of all of the above strains but I'm sure with some searching they could all be found.

As for the previous owner he recommended Jilly Bean, that's what he was using when he was pulling out 3-4 a cycle.

That's also what I have running in it right now.

Here is an excerpt of Jilly Bean strain:

This fruity potent delight was conceived by MzJill. The amazing OrangeVelvet turns breathtaking rich deep shades of burgundy and maroon and the flavor is an overwhelming orange. If you are looking for a smoke that will please all of your senses, this is the one for you. It has a nice mellow high, and tastes like you bit off a piece of the sunset and it melted in your mouth. This killer one of a kind phenotype was crossed with a select SpaceQueen male. The resulting Orange-Pineapple creation is one of the most exciting crosses available today.

Name: TGA - Jilly Bean

Genetics: 70% Indica / 30% Sativa

Specifics: Orange Velvet x Space Queen

Flowering Time: Indoors: 8-9 weeks

I'd even be happy with 2 on my first run... :)

Cheers,
OD

Hey dude whats the amount of plants that one can hold and the distance from the light to the rock wool. And welcome glad to see others here.

so tommrow we get to find out how much that one is WoF? or did it temp you to much lol.

it is 4.1 grams totally dry.

i gave it a taste just to make sure it was good. lol.
i could taste a hint of not being flushed, but strawberry cough is unusually smooth in general so even with no flush it tastes good.
good high, but i can tell it was a bit immature.

cant wait for my boy's flight to land so I can rip this shit up. lol.

i am very disappointed with my strawberry cough.
its a good height, it just isn't filling out.

Hey WOF,
Did you use any Bud Blood or Big Bud? You will find that this will help fatten up the cola's. I am using the A/N ferts 3 part program. This was the recipe given to me by the previous owner with the Jilly Bean strain. He said that he noticed quite a difference in yield after he started using the Bud Blood and Big Bud. I'm also sure that using 2 600W HPS also played a big factor in his yields. He also said to only use the bulbs for no more than 3 cycles and replace them with new ones as that also helped in higher yields.

Cheers,
OD

Hey dude whats the amount of plants that one can hold and the distance from the light to the rock wool. And welcome glad to see others here.

so tommrow we get to find out how much that one is WoF? or did it temp you to much lol.

Hello Inferno420,
Thanks for the welcome,
The OG is able to hold 300 plants loaded to full capacity, but I was told never to go that many as they will begin to stretch to much fighting for the light. I only go 9 plants per tray x 24 trays. I also stagger them which also give them more space. The 3" rockwools are spaced about 2" apart from each other. As for distance from the rockwool to the cool tube I would say it is about 17". I can double check the distance after the light come on today. The girls are asleep right now...lol

Here is an old link to OG model that I have, They discontinued this model because of the high price tag. But you couldn't ask for a better built unit, considering the light, fans and timers are included.

Omega Garden

Thanks again for the welcome,

Cheers,
OD

Thanks OD.

i used fox farms big bloom, and got the three supplements late, so didn't really get to ue the open seseme, but did use beastie bloomz and cha-ching. can really tell the cha-ching is working.

I know organic does not produce like chem ferts, but i like the taste better. . . I might run chem for the first weeks and finish organic or something because i need to pull more to make it worth it.

there are a lot of factors to why they could be small. . . old stock of moms, some took over 3 weeks to root, I lost most fan leaves due to nute lockup or something else. . . still not sure why.

I ran 600w this run, and thought it was enough. but i want more. I think i may get another identical ballast and run 1200 w and see what happens. i was also thinking of side lighting an led panel or two. I think a couple 90w ufo's hanging on either side might really help for less watts than a second 600w bulb. not sure yet as I am broke for a few more weeks.

since the HS i ran are ginormous i am thinking it was loss o vigor due to old age of the moms. also HS can take stronger nutes. . . the SC likes a light nute reg, kinda like blueberry but not as bad.

either way its water under the bridge because i want new genetics for my next run.

WOF,
I'm sure all the factors you mentioned in your last post had alot to do with the yield. I have to agree with you on the ferts. I am generally a big fan of organics over chem ferts. The only reason I used the chems on this batch is because the previous owner of the OG said he had tried both organic and chem ferts on the OG, and the chem ferts produced a considerable difference in yields. He mentioned to make sure to use the Final Flush by A/N to eliminate any traces of chems in the final product.

I am inclined to try organic nutes in the next turn just to see if the difference in yield outweighs the tastes. I personally prefer a smooth tasting smoke over a harsh one any day of the week. I am just following his recipe for this turn before I try organics on the next turn.

Cheers,
OD

it is 4.1 grams totally dry.

i gave it a taste just to make sure it was good. lol.
i could taste a hint of not being flushed, but strawberry cough is unusually smooth in general so even with no flush it tastes good.
good high, but i can tell it was a bit immature.

cant wait for my boy's flight to land so I can rip this shit up. lol.

I would even be happy with 4.1 g per site on this run, x 216 sites, just a little shy of 2 lbs in the OG.

Cheers,
OD

BTW, +reps for your thread WOF. :ganjamon:

Chems will pretty much always outperform organics (ignoring sick greenthumbs)

and i already have flora kleen which i have already ran for a day a few times this run to try to rinse salts from the RW. I will use it for the last 2-3 days at the end of this run, just because this past week i had to use chems because i ran out of fox farms. worst time to switch to chem. . . lol, last 2 weeks before harvest.

my target is 63 days from 12/12. I am inspecting the trichs under a small microscope. (trim a small piece to put on a slide) I will adjust if need be.
that means i will probably change the res one more time a week from today and run water and flora kleen for 3 days.

Sorry to hear your disappointment. There is always a learning curve to new machines/techniques. Bud blood is fantastic, it really kicks the plants into flower quick, the big bud, I'm not exactly sure about, I've used it, and not used it, and the results were not much different. I was using all Advance Nutrients, but with so many parts going into the cocktail, you have to be extremely precise, too much of one part may inhibit other parts ffrom being readily absorbed. Organic additives are the way to go, tried Budswell yet? It's liquid guano that will make most any strain semi skunky, and any skunky strains amazing. I always flush, organic or not. Buds burn better, the hash is amazing, and edibles are fantastic. Keep up the good work. I will definitely post my VG journal as a tribute to the others doing the same and being as helpful and cooperative as they could possibly be.

last time i ran the flora kleen,

i can't remember exact numbers, but my water started at 150ish ppm and after flushing for 24 hours, when i emptied the water it was like 700-800ish ppm.

i think i over fert'd the SC.

Back
Top Bottom