Wheelo's 3rd run - Attack of the Holy Shoots

speaking of cloning,

i'd say 5 or 6 of my clones are already showing roots.

it was weird, a couple of them had roots growing out high (1/2") above where i scraped and outside of the RW in direct light. lol, go figure. I cut off the bottom of the stem (up to near where the roots were, and moved them down into the medium. i think they will be ready for transplant in 6-7 days. about a week and a half. which is average for this strain

one note for leo - my boy get roots out of the plugs in 5-6 days using rapid rooters, exact same strain. . . but whats a few extra days? just take them a few days earlier. id rather have one medium. but try it with one or two. if it works well you will have given us all the gift of more information. if you get them, i would get the round ones and cut the bottom 1/4 inch off so it will fit in the RW nice. i have some laying around here, i will take a pic to show you what i mean.

because knowing is half the battle. . . a real american hero.

ok, all this talking got me wanting to post pics so here we go. . .

i have used these to great success many times (leo) and i kinda wish i used them this time, since these are going into soiless mix. i wasn't thinking when i took them, just went on auto pilot.

9-2-01.JPG

here is the mom recovering: I switched to MH the day i turned the wheel off, and took her away from the side of the wheel.

9-2-02.JPG

9-2-03.JPG

here are some close ups of the new growth.

9-2-04.JPG

i have been busy and kinda neglecting her. i just fed with nutes so new growth should get darker soon.

here are some of the clones. im going to give you guys some good ones here: (from 5 feet away. lol.)

with a flash

9-2-06.JPG

without

9-2-07.JPG

with the top off:

9-2-08.JPG

the top:

9-2-09.JPG

you can see some of the effects of the hormones at the base.

9-2-10.JPG

now. . . i know i was just telling someone that one of the best things you can do to have a high success rate is to not touch them or move them while they do their work. . . i am confident in moving them without hurting them so i will show you guys that are new what the very beginning of rooting looks like.

9-2-11.JPG

9-2-12.JPG

and another one, a bit further along, you can see (kinda not best pic) two hairy white horns coming off of this one they are the start of a nice root system.

9-2-14.JPG

9-2-15.JPG

9-2-16.JPG

i lowered the temp in the fridge to 72*. i like it better considering the light will make the dome a bit warmer than that.

9-2-13.JPG

leo - look at my tray. thats 11. now look at it and imagine adding 14 more. that would be 4 trays of 25. now think of adding 25 more on top of that. thats 2 trays of 50. would work, but i think it makes it harder for a beginner.

you have to mist it daily, and i dont like my leaves to bunched. they need the energy to make roots, and they need to dry off so i can wet them again. instead of staying wet longer. and its a pain to tuck them back under the dome when you take it off to mist and then put it back on. and the ones on the dome never dry out see how much moisture builds up on the walls?

OK, I'll go with 4 trays then, you've made a good case. But I'm considering doing some or all of them with those rapid rooters. I see what you're saying about the wicking, I guess there's only one way to find out. but doesn't everyone hate rockwool because it stays too wet? Maybe using the two different mediums together cold balance that out a bit and prevent dripping better?

maybe. i don't think you will have a dripping problem either way.

i say go for it, i usually do. lol.

i'm not a huge loyal fan of RW or anything. that's why i wanted to look into the suretogrow. just thinking. i have looked pretty good and haven't found 3x3 cubes. if someone else has pm me or post if its a sponsor. i'd try some if i found them.

I have only cloned 7 plants... but i have a 100% success rate. I am using my buddies method and he has been doing this for most of his life.

What I am doing is using Dip n Gro - inserting the cuttings into rockwoll and putting the rockwoll directly into an aerogarden. Ill cover them with plastic cups for a few days and I just keep the CFL lights on them. Has yet to fail me.

My buddy doesnt use the aero garden... he puts them in a tray with a lil water in the bottom and keeps them covered..... he swears by dip n gro.

that sounds good but when you get bigger your not wanting to always be depending on a aerogarden..a 6 dollar pack of 72 jiffypotts and a 12 dollar heating pad and you can have clones in 6 days...just a thought

leo,

I absolutely love those rapid rooters, i think it shaves time off of the rooting time for me, in my setup.

I don't use them simply because i don't know how the wicking effect from RW to that would be. you have to stick them in RW, and if it doesn't dry or wick the same, it might get too dry or stay too wet compared to the 3" cube that your gonna use.

I have thought about using them anyways, it might work great? but i'm a good enough propa gator that i should get 100% success no matter what i clone with, so i'm just keeping it homogeneous.

you could fit 100 clones in two domes, they trays come with 50 in each, i just think 4 is ideal. if they are all up on each other - and if your lucky enough or good enough that it doesn't do anything bad, it still doesn't benefit you in any way. i mean its an extra 20-30 bucks? if you have to skimp you can get by, but 30 bucks isn't much compared to everthing else you are buying, why skimp there?

Wheel.. im pumped that your goona be using clones for this wheel now..i guess it was just a matter of time... i hope you can get 80 clones asap....

i have used rapid rooters in rockwool when i was running ,my gi grow 240 ..to be honest there wasn't a different but good.....and i felt it worked better then the rrockwool starter cube..they hold wayyyy to much water and i lost over 150 the first time i tryed cloning with rockwool...then i switched to rapid rooters and even the peat puck jiffycubes.. the ones you have to re constitute. they both work fine..just use a little bit of the cut up rockwool to wedge into the sides to hold them in and then squeeze the edge of top if the rockwool around the cube and your good... .also i doo use powered rooting hormone.. 5 dollars and you can get it at lowes or home depot.. i have cloned at least over a 1000 plants with this way... plugs and powder...goodluck

OK, I'll go with 4 trays then, you've made a good case. But I'm considering doing some or all of them with those rapid rooters. I see what you're saying about the wicking, I guess there's only one way to find out. but doesn't everyone hate rockwool because it stays too wet? Maybe using the two different mediums together cold balance that out a bit and prevent dripping better?

dont worry about the over wicking of the plug..once the roots grow into the rw its doesnt really matter anyway..

and wheel sorry if im floodin your thread...but i found some pics of my wheel and rappid rooters...take a look just thought i could help

in that cloning pic thats 4 trays with 2 of them filled with rappid rooters and the others 140 filled with jiffycubes... takecare and goodluck everyone..

thanks guys. . .

oneman. i am cloning this run, but i am back to breeding lessons as soon as i have a decent stash. it'll be a month before i will be able to take 80 clones.

for anyone having trouble cloning i think there as been some good discussions here as of late, but I have no problem cloning in any medium. may take a couple extra days in one medium over another, but it doesn't matter to me.

I took the dome off this morning. it is 80% RH in the fridge, and i think they will be fine without it. if they wilt i will put it back on.

9-4-09-1.JPG

this is probably the last time i will take one out for you guys. . . they will be into the RW in a day or two.

9-4-09-2.JPG

9-4-09-3.JPG

as you can see, roots did not grow where i scraped. it grew right above. but i think it helped uptake cloning solution.after a couple of days in the fridge i will start leaving the door open to get lower RH. then they will be moved into soiless mix. I am toying with the idea of an old super soil grow. I haven't done one in a while, and it would make watering and maintaining two different styles much easier. maybe i'll try subcool's mix. tossing it around. . . have to make a decision in a few days.

thanks guys. . .

oneman. i am cloning this run, but i am back to breeding lessons as soon as i have a decent stash. it'll be a month before i will be able to take 80 clones.

for anyone having trouble cloning i think there as been some good discussions here as of late, but I have no problem cloning in any medium. may take a couple extra days in one medium over another, but it doesn't matter to me.

I took the dome off this morning. it is 80% RH in the fridge, and i think they will be fine without it. if they wilt i will put it back on.

[

this is probably the last time i will take one out for you guys. . . they will be into the RW in a day or two.

hey sorry for that off site link... here you go... dam a month..if you were in my neck of the woods i could have you filled with clones 3 fold by tomarrow... anyway good luck..and the trick i have found with getting clones for wheels is i made a mini stadium with 16 plants a 600 watt bulb in the middle with in a week of setting it up i was able to get close to ten clones per plant... i think i added a pic...

636660414081848.jpg

636660527081523.jpg

636660428081829.jpg

very nice oneman. very nice.

how big do you have your diameter set there? how do you adjust the size of it? can you do it on the fly as they get bigger? i like the 4" cubes. . . could give the suretogrow product a shot in that thing. they make good claims.

man, i wish clones were abundant like that around here. i have to grow out all of my own mothers. the Holy Shits are actually one of only two strains of clones i have ever been given. eveything else comes from seed. thank god for the internet and seed banks.

Back
Top Bottom