Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures & Photos From The Garden - 2012

GDP had issues, I have one but it has been playing lame just now starting to come around. I dropped a couple Pineapple Express seeds in rapid rooters about 5 days afrter the GDP and they are doing good better than me any way. lol

Sorry to hear about the GDP - that's one i haven't grown yet, but sure looks like a good one. I do have a Pineapple Express this round though that I'm pretty excited about. Sounds like you're not doing so hot yourself? I've been really up and down with my health stuff, which gets frustrating. 2 steps forward, 2 steps backward. Hope you start feeling better. :)

Hey XL!

Things are looking good man :) good luck with all!

Man that Jack the Ripper is a monster isn't she. She's going to make one pretty bush. Been awhile since I drove thru. Looks like you got some killer some with that SLH I'm sorry I don't vote in stuff here. It's nothing against anyone here. I'll probley get over it but I have my reasons. One day I might break down and take afew decent pic's and get back into the contests. But ,,, well I'll leave it at that. But I just looked and y'all got some great looking shit on there. reps to everyone And wow it let me rep ya Xlr. Hey it's looking like a nice crop in the makings. How was that Jack anyways. I never got to try mine. It outgrew it's aloted space and had to go. Well my friend Keepem Green

your both excellent growers. Would you really expect anything less then a tight race?

Tight is right, and a fun flip flop in my gut as I see Xlr8 has pulled ahead of me again! I'm sitting here, biting nails, and grinning like a goof wondering how it will all turn out. Then I look at the calendar and realize, "This is only the 20th?":popcorn::helpsmilie:

NOTM is You and Me, buddy! Neck-n-Neck! Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd be giving *you* competition!
Nug of the Month - September 2012

GAWD this is fun!

I've not done too hot in the NOTM contest so far, but I was usually trying to be impressive with the size of the nug, and what people really want to see is lots and lots of trichomes (it seems like to me anyway). The SLH I just grew was crazy frosty, so I figured I might finally have a shot. Purple always impresses though, too, and you have a great looking frosty nug of your own there - with purple! Good luck my friend and big thanks for the props. :)

I know I am late to this grow, but hey, that's me!..lol. I have little to contribute to hydro, as I have only dabbled in designing the systems, never grew with them. Saw to many nightmares of others, scared me off..lol. But still here for the beautiful bud pics. You have the knack and the skill level to perfect it, kudos brother.

Hey GMT -

Great to see you around again. Glad you are here, and :thanks:!

Here's the dilemma though. I have been collecting data from a few growers on here that are using Diminishing Light for flower, as well as a few other places... My findings are getting interesting. I'm seeing a 15% - 20% reduction of weight loss from cut/wet weight to the "hang/snap" dry weight. I can't be positive, bit it seems to me that the final push of resins with the last couple weeks in 8 hours light - 16 hours dark, is really upping quality of smoke... And if anything, it's not hurting yield.

Okay, to better explain my position here... usually in hydro, there is a loss of about 70% weight in hanging to dry. What I'm seeing, and it's still very early, but that weigh loss in hanging is down to about 60% - 63%. In other words, final weight is 15% to 19% HEAVIER when dried. And that's just preliminary findings... I'll have to collect WAY more data before making an official determination, and proper conclusion, but so far, that is the biggest single reason to switch as it stands right now.

The plants are no smaller, they are so far, no less aromatic, no less vigorously flowering, and show very little difference at all, with the exception of the final dry weights.

Interesting! I'll have to think about it a little harder next time, and consider committing to trying this... Thanks for sharing that. :thumb:

Reason alone to rethink my perpetual. Thank you jandre. Great work bud.

Wait a minute... Perpetual has its advantages, too... If you're wanting a quick and constant turnover, harvesting every 6 weeks, 5 weeks, 4 weeks, or even 3 weeks, perpetual SOG is THE way to go. Leave you lights at 11/13 (took that from Twelve12) and you'll be knocking them out in no time... just keep on top of all those individual containers, and use tape to mark the projected week for harvest written on it to help you keep track.

Then on top of that consider electrical savings as well as less heat, Less bulb usage and longer life and well........there ya have it!

Perpetual is nice for production, but it's tough to keep bugs and pathogens out of your growing area if you don't take breaks I'm finding. Maybe I should do a diminishing light schedule this run of some sort... hmm... :bong:

Xlr8, what if you have both cloning machine and mums in the same tent and when you take clones, turn the whole tent lights to 18/6 ?
When clones go to veg (above shelf), you turn the lights back to 12-5.5-1-5.5 !! (As it was before taking clones)
Assuming you clone with 18/6 photo period.
Do you think, there will be a problem with this routine ?

I think this would throw the mums off if you went back and forth with it. The mums wouldn't know what was going on.

Hmm seems logical !!!
Diffrent tent for cloner, then lol !!!!

Thank you alaska1

I really don't know how the moms would respond for sure... I clone under 24/0 as it allows me to keep the environment consistent and ideal - and it works really well. Switching the light schedules can sometimes cause fluctuations with temp and RH that I don't want to deal with. I may play around with the light schedules again at some point. I'm happy with the results I'm experiencing though and how it works for my needs, so it's probably not as high on the list as some other things as far as change/improvement.

A lot of people rip 24/0 for vegging, and I used to also. But, in reality I've vegged some of the nicest looking plants I've ever vegged under 24/0. They don't look stressed, unhappy, sick, or underdeveloped.

My biggest questions with it were whether it limits or affects phenotypic expression in the plants. BUT, I'm super happy with the results of what I'm doing in relation to my goals... so I'm not hurrying to change it at this point. Plus, I've got like 150w of actual power going in my veg space or something. Relatively minor, expense-wise.

your both excellent growers. Would you really expect anything less then a tight race?

:thanks:

Alright X
i'm trying your cloning and seedling process. I'm diving in today with both feet and we shall see what happens. Moving everything to our master bathroom because there is more heat and humidity in there. Wife gets mad because she looses counter space for all her stuff though lol

Good luck! Are you trying clones in rapid rooters, too? Those little plugs are really great - I think you'll be really pleased with the results.

I've been using your idea of an airstone in the reservoir this round, and I'm thinking I really like it so far. I'm really pleased with the grow at the moment, and I believe the plants have grown more vigorously since I started aerating the reservoir. I'm getting a little more gunk then I get without the airstone, but not nearly as much as I'd feared (certainly not enough that it concerns me at all). At this point, I don't see myself going back at all - I'm thinking I'll stick with it. Thanks again for all your efforts to demonstrate its effectiveness and testing it. Helped me a bunch!

Man that Jack the Ripper is a monster isn't she. She's going to make one pretty bush. Been awhile since I drove thru. Looks like you got some killer some with that SLH I'm sorry I don't vote in stuff here. It's nothing against anyone here. I'll probley get over it but I have my reasons. One day I might break down and take afew decent pic's and get back into the contests. But ,,, well I'll leave it at that. But I just looked and y'all got some great looking shit on there. reps to everyone And wow it let me rep ya Xlr. Hey it's looking like a nice crop in the makings. How was that Jack anyways. I never got to try mine. It outgrew it's aloted space and had to go. Well my friend Keepem Green

I've had her for a while, and I need to thin her about once a week. I've never seen a plant that naturally stacks nodes so tightly. It's a blessing and a curse. It becomes a nightmare to keep her thinned and trimmed. I wish I had some spare room to just grow one monster bush from her. But she's going to be kind of squeezed in there, unfortunately.

I like the Jack the Ripper quite a bit. It's a lot like Super Lemon Haze flavor wise (really lemony) but it does have a hint of something else with the lemon that the SLH doesn't. It's also the plant I have that grows those interesting bud-leaves. The other thing interesting about it is that it's a SUPER creeper. It's a very delayed high that kind of catches you off guard. By far, the longest high delay of any strain I've ever had. Makes it easy to over-medicate, so one must be careful with the Ripper.

Great to see you - your garden sure has been looking amazing! :yummy:

Re: Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures and Photos from the Garden - 2012

cant wait to try UBT loven your work:thumb:

Cool, thanks crocket, and :welcome:!

Tight is right, and a fun flip flop in my gut as I see Xlr8 has pulled ahead of me again! I'm sitting here, biting nails, and grinning like a goof wondering how it will all turn out. Then I look at the calendar and realize, "This is only the 20th?":popcorn::helpsmilie:

Yeah, it's like boiling water to me, so I just try not to think about it and only peek in once a week or so. Save your nails!

xlr8 said:
I really don't know how the moms would respond for sure... I clone under 24/0 as it allows me to keep the environment consistent and ideal - and it works really well. Switching the light schedules can sometimes cause fluctuations with temp and RH that I don't want to deal with. I may play around with the light schedules again at some point. I'm happy with the results I'm experiencing though and how it works for my needs, so it's probably not as high on the list as some other things as far as change/improvement.

A lot of people rip 24/0 for vegging, and I used to also. But, in reality I've vegged some of the nicest looking plants I've ever vegged under 24/0. They don't look stressed, unhappy, sick, or underdeveloped.

My biggest questions with it were whether it limits or affects phenotypic expression in the plants. BUT, I'm super happy with the results of what I'm doing in relation to my goals... so I'm not hurrying to change it at this point. Plus, I've got like 150w of actual power going in my veg space or something. Relatively minor, expense-wise.
Hmm.
Very interesting info xlr8 !!! :/

Btw, do you think will be an excess of a 4x55 watt (starlight) 8 bulb CFL fixture, in a 4x4 tent for 2 mums and 9 plants in veg ?

Thank you (as always ) xlr8 , food for thought , as you said ....

Back
Top Bottom