Xlr8's Psychedelic Bloom Party Extravaganza

re: Xlr8's Psychedelic Bloom Party Extravaganza

I like reading your jounals, and I will be glad to read
your reviews. +reps X you deserve them.

:thanks: Wildbill!!

Great harvest even with the little girl you still got great nbera out of it? Got a personal question, how long do you that 12 zips will last you? Myself I average about a zip a month in my bong wondering if that's a bit too much or not.

Great harvest even with the little girl you still got great nbera out of it? Got a personal question, how long do you that 12 zips will last you? Myself I average about a zip a month in my bong wondering if that's a bit too much or not.

I can't say for sure, honestly, as I haven't kept track of it for a while. I keep much of my bud now in longer-term storage (either vacuum packed or in vacuum packed freezer storage). I'm constantly pulling from both recent and past harvests without really tracking how fast it's getting used. I'm a ways ahead right now, but I'll vacuum seal much of this harvest and put a lot of it in long-term freezer storage that I pull from as needed. If I had to guess, my wife and I might go through that much in a month? Most of that would be from me... lol

Consumption... a great discussion. Hope you don't mind me weighing in X. Back when I smoked plant matter I used 2-4 oz a month just for myself. Almost felt as though 20 min after I would smoke a j-bird or bong bowl , I would start to feel discomfort. Maybe it was in my head. When I started to make bho I noticed that the pain killing effects of my herb was prolonged. In the last few years since I've smoked 95% of my green in extract form and my use has stabilized at 1oz a month give or take. Just a thought that goes out to anyone suffering from joint pain, arthritis, chronic muscle pain, might be a way to cut use substantially.

X have to say the bk i had when cured in jars had a strong odor of coffee
i like your descriptions of each of the different strains
i dont know how some of you guys can distinguish those individual flavors so keenly
+reps for the awesome description on your harvest:thumb:

wow where to begin,, i think the new position and title are honestly perfect for you, it fits like a glove that spot needs someone who is well spoken/written,temperate ,fair,honest,non biased,intelligent, knowledgeable, not easily angered or aggravated and from the past couple years as a member and 2 before that as a guest lurker i have observed and followed since the "first hydro grow" i cant remember you ever flying off the handle or being unfair to anyone even when the may have deserved it,
you my friend are a consummate professional yet not egotistical or likely to make someone feel stupid with how much you know, you do the research and take the time to find out an answer or refer a newbie/amateur/pro to the right source, your writing is clear,concise detailed without being to "wordy" or overly long in execution, in my opinion your the perfect man for the position, congrats on all your well deserved victories
and thanks for yet anther great journal :thumb: :goodjob:

Hey dude!

Managed to read my way through most of your journals - admittedly lots of skim reading! And cant thank you enough for the detailed explanation and learning you provided for noobs such as myself ;)

Did have a quick question for you though!

my leaves started drooping - one plant especially bad - overnight for no apparent reason.
Ph is at 5.7, rh 40%, ppm about 850(need new meter), water temp at 66.6, water level perfect with sufficient airgap so roots arent all soaking wet. Air bubble seem to the good - creating a fog / mist in root zone and my recriculating system also creating some air bubbles when it enters top of bucket and freefalls into the system...

Not sure what could be causing this - any input greatly appreciated - also posted in veg forum as well as my journal with some pics !

Thanks for any help =)

Well, this was a fun grow for me, and I thoroughly enjoyed having so many friends here along for the ride. The positivity has been amazing, and I'm very appreciative of all the many kind words and support along the way. This really is the greatest community of ANY kind on the web in my opinion.

As I've mentioned, I think it's a good time for me to take a break from growing and journaling. Since I grow for myself, I'll be set for a while and just don't need to produce any more right now. What I have will be curing for a bit, as I'm trying for a nice slow cure this time. Here are my initial impressions of the different strains:

• Pineapple Express gave me such a headrush the first time I tried it, that I had to immediately sit down. Minutes later, I saw my own glasses out of the corner of my eye and kind of startled myself, lol. Then, it was about a half hour of giggles. Just sayin', it's wicked awesome... The flavor on the nugs I've tried so far I'd describe more as "tropical" than pineapple, though there does indeed seem to be a hint of pineapple involved. Very nice taste, that I'm sure will get better yet with a good cure. Really gave me the munchies!

• Jillybean - Citrus taste, definitely a bit of orange creeping through that I think will be magnified with a longer cure. Excellent all around uplifting experience and a nice balance of effects between indica and sativa. Uplifting at the start with a nice mellow finish. This one really gave me the munchies, too. The smell when you crack the jars on these is like orange candy. :yummy:

• Humboldt - Fantastic flavor. Jasmine, citrus and floral tones that form a very unique, sweet flavor when combined. The buds have a hint of purple on the outside, but grind up to look predominantly purple. Very pretty! The effect is mostly up and giggly, with a whole-body euphoria that just makes you feel warm and buzzy. This is excellent bud - from a freebie!

• Vortex - Sweet like fruity candy, with a very upbeat and giggly high. This one is pure fun, and a bit zoomy. The dried buds in the jars are like a thousand marbles. I don't really care for the smaller buds but they sure are good, and there sure are a lot of them. I really like the bud, but I didn't enjoy the plant much as it was one of those really vine-like sativas. I don't see myself growing this one again, as good as it is, just for the shape/style of the plant and the low yield. It might do better under stronger lights, but it scoffed at the dual 400's I have.

• Pre-98 Bubba - Earthy flavor, with a bit of coffee or something similar thrown in. There's an almost... "hairspray" odor in it that I don't care for, though it's somewhat surpisingly absent in the flavor. Nice mellow indica-style effect with that permagrin, "where did the time go" sort of effect. I haven't sampled this one as much yet, but those are my initial impressions. Reminds me of a mellow OG Kush a little bit.
Overall, yields were in line with what I expected. Had I felt more up to it, I would have been able to improve on this quite a bit. Yield wasn't my primary goal here, though, and I was really cramming a lot into a small space (my tent is only about 3' x 5'). Interestingly, the largest plants were the ones under the metal halide bulb, though the lower portions of these plants were cleaned up better, and weren't as viable lower on the plant as the buds under the HPS. The HPS seemed to penetrate better, without a doubt, but the "top tier" bud was as nice or nicer on the MH side. Next time I grow, I'll probably incorporate the MH into part of the bloom phase, but not all of it (still pondering this actually).

I realize the Bubba yield is laughable, but I kept it around just for the sample. It never made the height of the main canopy so never got prime light. It sure showed in the yield, but I knew it would. If yield had been the primary goal, I'd have culled it for sure and given the other plants more space. But, I wanted to sample some new strains this round, to see if I could find a long-term keeper, and this round was a success in those terms.

Harvest totals for this grow:

Jillybean - 4.2z
Pineapple Express - 3.5z
Humboldt - 2.5z
Vortex - 2.1z
Pre-98 Bubba -.5z

Total - 12.8z

I will be focusing more and more of my energy in other peoples journals and on other projects and areas of the site for a while. I'll keep the journal open a bit longer for any other questions, etc., but will probably close it in the near future.

Thanks again everyone for being on this journey with me!! :thanks:
Fantastic journal my friend, it has truly been a pleasure tagging along for this one and exellent smoke report too:bravo: and +reps. Hopefully we will see another XLR8 journal down the road:Namaste:

Congrats on another great grow X, showed that you can squeeze several varieties in a "small" space and get a decent yield. I'm sure that I am not the only one that will miss your journals in my inbox each day. But sure to see you around everywhere else.....enjoy your time "off" :bravo:

Hey dude!

Managed to read my way through most of your journals - admittedly lots of skim reading! And cant thank you enough for the detailed explanation and learning you provided for noobs such as myself ;)

Did have a quick question for you though!

my leaves started drooping - one plant especially bad - overnight for no apparent reason.
Ph is at 5.7, rh 40%, ppm about 850(need new meter), water temp at 66.6, water level perfect with sufficient airgap so roots arent all soaking wet. Air bubble seem to the good - creating a fog / mist in root zone and my recriculating system also creating some air bubbles when it enters top of bucket and freefalls into the system...

Not sure what could be causing this - any input greatly appreciated - also posted in veg forum as well as my journal with some pics !

Thanks for any help =)

AP - I responded in your journal. We'll get it figured out.

**Everyone - if you get a moment please peek in Alpha's journal to see if you can lend some expertise. Depending on the answers to some questions I have, I'm a bit stumped as to what's causing his issue, and it looks like things went a little south fast. I also have some errands to run today and would like to help remove some stress for him. We could use more eyeballs on this one please! **

Here's a link to the post with the issue in Alpha Prime's journal:

First Solo Grow - DWC Kosher Kush

Hi you grow monster! :high-five:

Could you recommend a vacuum sealer old friend?

Thanks.:thumb:

Hi OMM -

Yes, we have the Foodsaver V2244. About $70 or so, but well worth it! The important thing, is you want it to be the Foodsaver brand with the accessory port. There are other brands, but Foodsaver seems to be the best, and they are the ones with the great jar attachment for vacuum sealing Mason jars. Be cautious if you go with one of their cheaper models instead, as not all of them have the accessory port or work with the jar attachment.

The other thing you need, is the Wide-mouth, jar sealer. It's about $10 and would probably need to be ordered online from eb@y or @mazon, etc.

Aside from cannabis, they are really useful. They can seal without vacuum, too. We no longer use chip clips as much, because they reseal a potato chip bag! It's great for marinading, meat storage, you name it.

When you open a jar of bud that's been vacuum sealed, even after months, a huge rush of air whooshes when you remove the lid - it's crazy! It keeps things fresh much longer. For longer storage, jars that were vacuum sealed and frozen, once removed, were just like the day we put them in the freezer - still really yummy and fresh.

Lately, I've been vaping fresh Super Lemon Haze that is from August 2012 - and believe me, anyone would think it's fresh/prime bud.

For us, anything not being immediately used is vacuum sealed in jars with 62% humidipaks. If it won't be used within a couple of months, the humidipaks get removed, then the jars are vacuum sealed and carefully stored in a freezer

After freezing, it's crucial to remove jars carefully as they are cold and under vacuum pressure, so probably a bit more fragile. Also, the trichomes on the bud are frozen and can easily be broken off. The trick is to handle the jars carefully, and then let them get to room temperature before opening to avoid dew-point problems getting your bud wet and soggy. Can't open them while still cold!

As I mentioned, I DO remove the humidipaks when we freeze them (not sure if it matters, but it might). Freezers that don't have "auto-defrost" work best, but even a standard auto-defrost freezer will extend the life for a long time if done right.

Consumption... a great discussion. Hope you don't mind me weighing in X. Back when I smoked plant matter I used 2-4 oz a month just for myself. Almost felt as though 20 min after I would smoke a j-bird or bong bowl , I would start to feel discomfort. Maybe it was in my head. When I started to make bho I noticed that the pain killing effects of my herb was prolonged. In the last few years since I've smoked 95% of my green in extract form and my use has stabilized at 1oz a month give or take. Just a thought that goes out to anyone suffering from joint pain, arthritis, chronic muscle pain, might be a way to cut use substantially.

Thanks for chiming in Northerner -

Great tips on extracts helping conserve material and more effectively deal with joing pain, etc. Edibles have the same effect for me. :thumb:

X have to say the bk i had when cured in jars had a strong odor of coffee
i like your descriptions of each of the different strains
i dont know how some of you guys can distinguish those individual flavors so keenly
+reps for the awesome description on your harvest:thumb:

Thanks Chronic - I appreciate that!! :)

:thanks:

wow where to begin,, i think the new position and title are honestly perfect for you, it fits like a glove that spot needs someone who is well spoken/written,temperate ,fair,honest,non biased,intelligent, knowledgeable, not easily angered or aggravated and from the past couple years as a member and 2 before that as a guest lurker i have observed and followed since the "first hydro grow" i cant remember you ever flying off the handle or being unfair to anyone even when the may have deserved it,
you my friend are a consummate professional yet not egotistical or likely to make someone feel stupid with how much you know, you do the research and take the time to find out an answer or refer a newbie/amateur/pro to the right source, your writing is clear,concise detailed without being to "wordy" or overly long in execution, in my opinion your the perfect man for the position, congrats on all your well deserved victories
and thanks for yet anther great journal :thumb: :goodjob:

BID - you sure made me feel good brother, thank you!! Though, I suspect I do get a little wordy, now and then. I blame it on the herb... ;) You are a good friend, and I appreciate the kind words immensely buddy.

:thanks:

Congrats on another great grow X, showed that you can squeeze several varieties in a "small" space and get a decent yield. I'm sure that I am not the only one that will miss your journals in my inbox each day. But sure to see you around everywhere else.....enjoy your time "off" :bravo:

Thanks OG. I sure like to challenge myself with the different strains, huh? I have always enjoyed your very knowledgeable contributions here, and I have a lot of respect for you my friend. I'm glad and proud to have had you along for the ride in my journals. Thanks for the warm fuzzies, buddy! :)

Back
Top Bottom