Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures & Photos From The Garden - 2012

Thank you for the reply. Which meter one of the Hanna's do you have? The link came up blank. I have a ec/ppm (Bluelab) which works great. Someday I would like a monitoring system hooked up but not this year. Need to save up some cash. :thanks:

Hi X,
Great pic update...love it when they first start flowering...and I loved the root pics too. I must be a grow geek too, because I love ALL the pics not just the flowers. So much great info here...just wanted to thank you again for all you do to help us. great recipes, both the brownies and the tutorial on making oil. ? how much oil did you use? you said 1/2c finely chopped sugar leaves, but I didn't see where you said how much oil to use for that.

I was several pages behind...just a couple thoughts.

Nice info on the vapes...thanks. I too would like to invest in one someday and don't even know where to start.

Fluffy - I love cooking too, we'd get along good. And I know just how you feel...I'm also pretty new to growing and often sit in the back row taking notes. These guys are wonderful sources of information, I learn something new here every day.

A1 - I also don't like change, I really liked Wile E. and didn't know it was you at first...but I do like the new one too...just take some getting used to.

I know there was more I wanted to comment on but, being tired and baked at the moment, I don't remember them all.

Oh, one more thing X...you're gonna love that PE. I grew one, and really regret not keeping a mother around so I could grow more. I have one good nug left and I'm saving it for a special occasion.

OH YA..duh, congrats on NOTM...and you too Jandre for runner up. Great Job!

:peace:

Sq

I want some of that rabbit and gravy on rice. Looking forward to your new grow XLR. So don't be a stranger.
Keepem Green

yup, they wilt for anywhere from 2 to 4 hours... that's their "rest period"

Wilt/rest... Like us, I guess they're pooped after a long day, but perk up in the morning with a little sunshine. I guess I never thought of it in terms of wilting per se', but they do sometimes sag a little at night, or towards the end of a long day (like me!). I suppose that's wilting alright! I'm wilting as we speak... :snooze:

I have been following along reading. My setup Titan Flo-n-grow with 18 pots, hydroton one 1000k watt light on mover lots of air movement & air conditioner when needed. Nuts h&g with CalMagplus every thing is going good this is first grow in Hydro have done coco coir so I have used Ph meters for a few years. My question is what do you use? My HM started acting odd last night new batteries. Found a small crack at the top of it anyway new one is in store for me on a budget like all of us it seems these days. Thanks for any help in advance.
l

Hi Growprincess - :welcome:

First, cool on the Flo n Gro, you'll love it. Great system, and very much my favorite way of growing so far, though my plants really love coco coir too. :thumb:

On the ph meter, interesting that you should ask. Until very recently I've mostly used Oakton ph meters. They make a nice meter, and have served me well. Here's the dirty secret of (nearly?) ALL ph meters: they are a huge pain in the ass, eat batteries, need constant calibrating, and rarely last more than a year and a half with daily usage before getting inconsistent and hard to keep accurately calibrated. I hate 'em!

I make budgets for my growing, and I now add $80 a year, every year, for a new ph meter - if I get more than that out of it, great! Honestly, I get pissy thinking about it - they are the bain of my existence when it does to growing.

Speaking of HM, that's what I just switched to: HM ph-200. So far I love it, as far as ph meters go... Is that the same model you have? For me, i wanted to try something different, and it came down to the HM and the Bluelab. I've heard good things about the non-cheapo Hanna's too. Both the Bluelab and the HM ph-200 go for about $79 if you look hard enough, and I personally think that's about as low as you want to go for ph meters. Below that it seems quality drops off quite a bit, IMO
. Cheap meters don't always have automatic temperature correction either, and that's a must have for me (temps matter in getting an accurate reading and calibration).

So glad to have another Flo n Gro user around!! :)

***************************************​

Thought I'd share a few more thoughts on PH meters for anyone who might be interested:

To extend the life a bit: always store it with storage solution, calibration solution, or less ideally, tap water in the cap. Don't ever let it go dry. To clean the probe, keep a spray bottle filled with distilled water. When you're done measuring, use the spray bottle to "clean" the probe area. Distilled water has no minerals, but it leeches them away. Don't ever use distilled water to soak/store the probe, however - it'll drastically reduce its effective life (leeches the ph probes reference solution away). It's safe and good to spritz and clean the probe daily, however. Give it a real cleaning at least once a month with actual ph probe cleaning solution. I use Genesis PH electrode cleaner. To keep the tip moist daily, I use Genesis ph probe storage solution. Works great, and helps it stay calibrated longer. I recommend calibrating once a week.

To revive one: sometimes you can bring one back from the dead by heating 4.0 calibration solution slightly in microwave (don't boil though) and letting the probe soak in it for 24-48 hours. The heating probably only helps marginally, and may not be necessary. Battery changes sometimes are all that's needed. Also, be aware that calibration solution can go bad, too, and complicate things - make sure you store the calibration solution in cool, dark place, and that it hasn't gone bad (residues, floaties in it, etc).

Hi X,
Great pic update...love it when they first start flowering...and I loved the root pics too. I must be a grow geek too, because I love ALL the pics not just the flowers. So much great info here...just wanted to thank you again for all you do to help us. great recipes, both the brownies and the tutorial on making oil. ? how much oil did you use? you said 1/2c finely chopped sugar leaves, but I didn't see where you said how much oil to use for that.

I was several pages behind...just a couple thoughts.

Nice info on the vapes...thanks. I too would like to invest in one someday and don't even know where to start.

Fluffy - I love cooking too, we'd get along good. And I know just how you feel...I'm also pretty new to growing and often sit in the back row taking notes. These guys are wonderful sources of information, I learn something new here every day.

A1 - I also don't like change, I really liked Wile E. and didn't know it was you at first...but I do like the new one too...just take some getting used to.

I know there was more I wanted to comment on but, being tired and baked at the moment, I don't remember them all.

Oh, one more thing X...you're gonna love that PE. I grew one, and really regret not keeping a mother around so I could grow more. I have one good nug left and I'm saving it for a special occasion.

OH YA..duh, congrats on NOTM...and you too Jandre for runner up. Great Job!

:peace:

Sq

Sqwheels!

:thanks: for all the really kind words. That means a lot to me. I really do try hard to help people out whenever I can - so I appreciate that a ton.

Vaping rocks and just feels so much healthier. I never cough up gross stuff anymore or have stinky clothes, etc. Lots of benefits!!

I didn't mention how much oil? Oops! I think it was a half cup of oil. 1/3 cup for the recipe, but I always make a little extra. You may want to experiment over time to see what works best for you, but that's a good starting point. :)

PE? So far it smells like pineapples quite a bit! Love it! I hope my PE turns out as good as yours did. The seeds I have are from a really good friend. Cool gift, huh? I'm really anxious to try her, and plan on doing one or two more next round if I like it. :)

So nice to have you drop by! :)

I want some of that rabbit and gravy on rice. Looking forward to your new grow XLR. So don't be a stranger.
Keepem Green

Hey Wood -

I've had rabbit - it was good, but not something that interests me too much anymore. When i was a kid, i had squirrel a few times, too. Didnt care for that much.

New journal soon - i need to get caught up on yours, too. I spend so much of my time trying to keep up here, but you have one of my favorite journals - always. Some of the nicest, most well grown plants anywhere live in your yard! I love your gardens - truly spectacular. Anyone who hasnt seen your outdoor garden, especially, is really missing out. Folks, Norcaliwood grows 'em like trees. We're talking 7-10-12 foot she-beasties! :yummy:

Nice seeing you buddy, I'll be by tomorrow when I get more time. I'm zonked!

Okay folks, the new journal is up and running. :) I will be requesting that this one be moved to the closed journal section, so please join me at my new journal, here (click for the link):

Xlr8's Quest For The Best - 2012

Really hope to see you all there... Thank you all so much for making this journal so much fun. Much love and respect! X

:thanks:

Hi all,

I sure hope you guys get to feeling better, best thoughts for all of ya!

Kindest regards

Thanks for the compments Xlr. Sorry I didn't really grow any big ones this year. I'm glad I got them all in but I was just of bummed with the yields. Only one was solid over a LB. Another just over. But I promise ya,,,,, next year I got a strain that is a proven monster. I've grown it afew time since access to these vendors. I'll keep that a supprise till we get closer to spring planting. Tried and True plant. And I happen to have some in stock. Well keep on doing what your doing to them girls and you get some fine buddage. BTW that is a big ass leaf. Keepem Green

Thanks for sharing your grow with us.

Don't forget to head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too! :cheer:

I'm moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please start one here:
Journals in Progress

In the future, whenever you complete a journal, please use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post, so we can be alerted to move it for you.

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

Back
Top Bottom