Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures & Photos From The Garden - 2012

i wonder if you fed them enough weed if when you cooked and ate them you'd get stoned too!!

stonedbun.jpg

:thanks: A1

A couple of things are happening here... I tend to take pictures right after "lights on" or sometimes even just before. In those last pics, only one of my two bulbs had even fired up yet (they go on about 2-3 minutes apart). What I've noticed, especially during stretch, is that a lot of the new growth is a (healthy) lighter green when the lights first come on. Interestingly, if i wait until toward the end of the "lights on" period later in the day, the new growth has had a chance to darken up and photographs better. Also, in person, they are a much greener light green - for some reason it's difficult to maintain the right color in the pics once posted to the web - they tend to look yellower.

But, they most definitely don't need more "N" at the moment. In fact, I'm making a concerted effort to keep the nitrogen in check, as I've had issues with too much in the past. Seems like every damned nutrient additive pumps up the nitrogen to try to trick us into saying "wow, this shit really works!", which is also why I changed cal/mag supplements and simplified my additives to the BPN line only - to reduce my "n" a little in bloom.

The frustrating part of this for me, is that in person i believe you'd think much differently, these really are about the healthiest looking plants I've ever grown, with the exact color I'm aiming for... Makes me super bummed that I'm not capturing it in the photos! Maybe I need to try harder to take pics once they've darkened up a little after lights on, and balance the colors better before posting...

I do, however appreciate the keen eye and honest feedback. You are right on the money to suggest that based on what you are seeing in the pics. I don't even notice it unless its pointed out (argh!) since that's not really how they appear in person. Sigh.

Cool on the nutes, brotha! I will be doing the same. :thumb:
Think of first-light color variation as indication of rapid overnight growth and smile.
I get such sometimes, but not always full and rich like yours :peace:

A mounted camera taking time-lapse photos would display what's really going on in there.
Human perception is on a different time scale than plants.

Not to detract form the individuals, but you always have the best looking overall canopy. SKILLZ!

Thanks buddy! I can barely find the Pineapple Express, though, it stopped vertical growth and started focusing on flowers before the others. It was a colossally dumb idea on my part to put it in there with those F1 sativa/haze doms with their never ending stretch and their hybrid vigor... DOH! The rest though I've been able to keep pretty even and bush out. Appreciate the kudos greatly! :high-five:

Blackberry Kush Cobbler with a dusting of Sweet Tooth triches, and Cookies made with canna butter from Girl Scout Cookies. Then we could have some Orange Dream-cicles, or some Lemon Ice! oh wait... Top it all off with some Black Cherry Soda, and maybe a Cream Caramel. And don't forget the Blueberry muffins with Plush Berry butter!!

Stop making me so huuuunnnnnnngggggry! That all sounds great!

No offense jandre....I liked yours too! Just used to that wile. After all these years if I change mine, no one would know me.

I loved the Canna Geeks logo (I thought about swiping it for my avatar as well!), but it's tough seeing Wile E. go too... Who doesn't like Wile E.?? Funny how those little avatars help shape the way we imagine the friends we have here, huh... :)

I've had an idea for an avatar for a while, but I don't know how to pull it off. Basically a leaf like you had, but some of the blades would be slightly different color (maybe purple or outlined with purple... ?) so they make a sort of "X" within the leaf... I can picture it, but don't have the patience or skills to pull it off.. Those 2 little leaf blades at the bottom of a cannabis leaf would be the bottom legs of the "X" perhaps. Wish I had better computer graphic art skills! :hmmmm:

Damn X...you "Did" change your Avatar ! :bravo:

Thought I'd feature something I grew myself (ala Deadhead OG - ain't she pretty?!). Was surprised but a bit relieved that nobody seemed to notice or make mention of the change. :)

I hear ya pop's. I'm thinking of changing my one day. Hey Xlr that MH will keep that stretch down abit. I like Bushmasters for plants that might stretch. From what I understand that MH is also good for the last week of flower also. I'd try it but I'm not growing a flip that finishes at the same time. That's what make a ever growing grow kind of hard to do experiments on. Different plants all flowering at different times. But they are looking great. Hope the start sparkle starts soon, I know it will Keepem Green

Hey Wood!

Thanks bro! I agree on the MH, I left the MH in until last night (roughly 16 days bloom cycle). I started doing this a while back to help with stretch at the flip, but, I've never tried the last week - great idea! I'm okay with the level of stretch so far as long as it starts to slow here soon. You never know with all the haze influence I have in there...
:bitingnails:

Talking about the yellowish in the plants colors once lights on... Got me to thinking. I am in San Jose, CA where ALL our street lights are the same color (HPS!!! also). This was done by vote , way back eaons ago. It is because there's "Lick Observatory" a wood tele in the building, donated by James Lick and biggest in country at the time. They have all the lights on the same color so that the astronomers can get much better photographs as well as viewing. Seems they could filter that one wavelength out nd actually make it disappear so no obstruction or distortion. S-o-o-o, couldn't one get a filter aimed at this range of wavelength? Makes sense to me but then again, I'm baked...

Hey Paul -

That's interesting... I have no idea, but sounds logical! :scratchinghead:

I try to filter out the reds in the hps photos, but the hps photos especially can be tough as there always seems to be a yellowish artifact left behind.

Think of first-light color variation as indication of rapid overnight growth and smile.

A mounted camera taking time-lapse photos would display what's really going on in there.

:thanks: Gator!

I have been so pleased with this round so far, (aside from my bad judgement call regarding throwing the PE into the mix). I wish the true colors were easier to capture. I'm a bit lazy in that regard, or I'd spend more time trying to correct the color better.

Believe it or not, I actually did exactly that with the timelapse at the beginning of the last round, but then I needed my camera for something else. It was actually a really, really cool effect. I edited it into a short movie after taking 1 picture an hour for a week or so. I never posted it because I'm a bit lost on posting vids and wanted nothing to do with YouTube. Anybody know - can a video be uploaded here directly somehow or does it have to be youtubed? I did it as a test, and captured them more from a side-view, but it sure was cool watching them sway back and forth as they climbed upwards. Looked like Jack and the beanstalk. You are so right, they're living in slow motion compared to us and it's fun speeding it up to match our pace a little.

Hmm.. Maybe I'll give that another shot... Glad you brought it up!
:thumb:

Well from what I have seen the plants kind of wilt while the lights are off is this correct?

Well from what I have seen the plants kind of wilt while the lights are off is this correct?

Well, not so much wilt, as they looked like they were pumping they're leaves ever so slightly up and down while it spiraled upward. Pretty much like you see on the Discovery channel or something. It was super cool to recreate that with my own plants! I want to do it again now that I know I can do it successfully. Maybe watch the buds swell! I just hate that it ties up my good camera (I like photography and my camera is something I like to keep with me, but... damn it would be fun to do again!). The other challenge is/was LST training. You kind of want to leave them be for this or the effect isn't as impressive and natural.

i wonder if you fed them enough weed if when you cooked and ate them you'd get stoned too!!

stonedbun.jpg

MORE bloody coffee on the screen now! You guys are awesome :laugh:

:ciao:

I have been following along reading. My setup Titan Flo-n-grow with 18 pots, hydroton one 1000k watt light on mover lots of air movement & air conditioner when needed. Nuts h&g with CalMagplus every thing is going good this is first grow in Hydro have done coco coir so I have used Ph meters for a few years. My question is what do you use? My HM started acting odd last night new batteries. Found a small crack at the top of it anyway new one is in store for me on a budget like all of us it seems these days. Thanks for any help in advance.
l

I have been following along reading. My setup Titan Flo-n-grow with 18 pots, hydroton one 1000k watt light on mover lots of air movement & air conditioner when needed. Nuts h&g with CalMagplus every thing is going good this is first grow in Hydro have done coco coir so I have used Ph meters for a few years. My question is what do you use? My HM started acting odd last night new batteries. Found a small crack at the top of it anyway new one is in store for me on a budget like all of us it seems these days. Thanks for any help in advance.
l

good to see another flo n gro user! There are more and more coming along. Really a fantastic system.
This is the meter I use and I'm really happy with it.

Hanna multimeter HI 9813-6

It's not a budget meter but I have found that the lesser expensive meters crap out on me pretty quick and loose calibration often.

welcome to the forums!

Back
Top Bottom