2 Girls & 1 Kit: Major PITA Takes High Brix Outdoors, Summer 2015

Great video, I had no idea that you could do it that way. Now can you use the "used Trim" for anything else or is it pretty much Garbage at this point?

Great video, I had no idea that you could do it that way. Now can you use the "used Trim" for anything else or is it pretty much Garbage at this point?

I'll let you know. It seems like it still has some "goodness" left in it. We are trying to make some Green Dragon with the dregs. I'll let you know if it has any punch left in it. :high-five:

That dry ice extraction looked incredibly easy. How does it compare to bubble hash? I've never been a huge fan(nor have I made it) of bubble hash, it always seemed like a giant Pain In the Ass. But this method looks very doable.

Seems like there could be a pretty decent amount of ground plant matter in your final product?

#notahashmaker

That dry ice extraction looked incredibly easy. How does it compare to bubble hash? I've never been a huge fan(nor have I made it) of bubble hash, it always seemed like a giant Pain In the Ass. But this method looks very doable.

Seems like there could be a pretty decent amount of ground plant matter in your final product?

#notahashmaker

It is VERY easy, but I don't want to over-sell this method. I tried the bubble method and found it time consuming and messy.
I'm new to all this so I can't offer an accurate comparrison. Visually, I don't see much leaf debris in the finished product - unless I blew it (and I did once). Even with the mistake I made, the contamination was very minor.
I'll try to see if it melts and also get a really good look at it. Maybe I can get a picture but my microscope doesn't seem to cooperate very will with my phone.
I'm sure, like any extraction method, this can be improved upon. Smaller mesh, less chopping would both give higher purity and lower the yield so you could probably "dial-in" whatever you want and it would still be fast, easy, with very little mess.

#brandnewhashmaker

OK , I have to cut in here about this whole hash thing. Dry ice hash and the way it's made will NOT produce full melt hash!
Full melting hash consists of mature gland heads, NOTHING else. When you look at full melt hash under a scope all you'le be able to see are round gland heads, just like a bunch of bubbles look in a bubble bath. The size of micron screen has ALOT to do with full melting hash. Please do not confuse dry ice quality with full melting bubblehash, there is a huge difference. When I make my BH I could , if I wanted get Major's yields , but, but the quality goes WAYYYY down , to the point of not even liking it at all.My full melt comes from the 90,73, and 45 micron bags....nothing bigger. The fact of the matter is that their just isn't that many full gland heads there to harvest. That's why it takes so much good trim to make it. Bubbleman (Mark) once said that there is one Z of pure heads to every pound of weed, and that's buds included! If you don't believe what I'm sayin then please go and do some more research on Bubbleman's sites...maybe listen to him talk a while.
Dry ice extraction gets you more product but , yes it will have a lot of systolic hairs.immature gland heads and a lot of plant matter...this can not give you melting hash...the size of those screens is WAAAYYY tooo big...lets a lot of crap come thru, period. If anyone would like more info ,please ask, I have been doing it for many yrs. and have done loads of research and close to 300 runs thru my bags.
I'm not sayin Major didn't make hash....I'm just sayin I wish he would have made nice bubble out of it and not truckloads of green ,kief hash. Cheers gang and have an awesome night! One more thing....I can get a seasoned smoker very buzzed with a pc. of my hash NO bigger than a grain of rice ,and if you hold it long enough it melts in your hand...now that's quality.:blunt:

No worries duggan. :circle-of-love:

I did this because I had a lot of trim to get rid of quickly. I'm going to try to get a good look at it, but I'm sure you are correct. I did watch several videos on bubble, including Mark's. I did two runs that way but found it slow and messy for the amount I needed to process. I don't find the bubble from my finer mesh bags to be much more potent than my kief from dry ice - or does it taste better (to me). I may have mucked up the bubble method, but I tried to follow your tutorial and the videos I watched. Practice makes perfect and I have a long way to go, both growing and processing.

Have you tried dry ice with the smaller mesh bags? It might not work, but you could probably use the 73 and 45 bags with it. I did try 120 and 90 but didn't notice much difference in what I was getting. Again, I don't want to over-sell this method since I'm new to it all. I do like the product I ended up with. It tastes like what I expected and is plenty potent for me. For me it was a good compromise of effort, time and final product.

Cheers! :high-five:

OK , I have to cut in here about this whole hash thing. Dry ice hash and the way it's made will NOT produce full melt hash!
Full melting hash consists of mature gland heads, NOTHING else. When you look at full melt hash under a scope all you'le be able to see are round gland heads, just like a bunch of bubbles look in a bubble bath. The size of micron screen has ALOT to do with full melting hash. Please do not confuse dry ice quality with full melting bubblehash, there is a huge difference. When I make my BH I could , if I wanted get Major's yields , but, but the quality goes WAYYYY down , to the point of not even liking it at all.My full melt comes from the 90,73, and 45 micron bags....nothing bigger. The fact of the matter is that their just isn't that many full gland heads there to harvest. That's why it takes so much good trim to make it. Bubbleman (Mark) once said that there is one Z of pure heads to every pound of weed, and that's buds included! If you don't believe what I'm sayin then please go and do some more research on Bubbleman's sites...maybe listen to him talk a while.
Dry ice extraction gets you more product but , yes it will have a lot of systolic hairs.immature gland heads and a lot of plant matter...this can not give you melting hash...the size of those screens is WAAAYYY tooo big...lets a lot of crap come thru, period. If anyone would like more info ,please ask, I have been doing it for many yrs. and have done loads of research and close to 300 runs thru my bags.
I'm not sayin Major didn't make hash....I'm just sayin I wish he would have made nice bubble out of it and not truckloads of green ,kief hash. Cheers gang and have an awesome night! One more thing....I can get a seasoned smoker very buzzed with a pc. of my hash NO bigger than a grain of rice ,and if you hold it long enough it melts in your hand...now that's quality.:blunt:

Ok fine, Ill take a grip.

Maybe 2 grips now, more later.....err...probably sooner....

I do have the nature of adding steps of anal process to things...maybe I should give bubble making a whirl....never had full melt...met someone recently who said he could process my stuff into rosin though....very appealing...

No worries duggan. :circle-of-love:

I did this because I had a lot of trim to get rid of quickly. I'm going to try to get a good look at it, but I'm sure you are correct. I did watch several videos on bubble, including Mark's. I did two runs that way but found it slow and messy for the amount I needed to process. I don't find the bubble from my finer mesh bags to be much more potent than my kief from dry ice - or does it taste better (to me). I may have mucked up the bubble method, but I tried to follow your tutorial and the videos I watched. Practice makes perfect and I have a long way to go, both growing and processing.

Have you tried dry ice with the smaller mesh bags? It might not work, but you could probably use the 73 and 45 bags with it. I did try 120 and 90 but didn't notice much difference in what I was getting. Again, I don't want to over-sell this method since I'm new to it all. I do like the product I ended up with. It tastes like what I expected and is plenty potent for me. For me it was a good compromise of effort, time and final product.

Cheers! :high-five:

Major....i get it pal, no worries either bud. Making BH takes a little longer and unless you have all the right tools (the right size bags)alot of ice, and alot of time as well as some help , it's a pain , for sure. When i do it i set aside about four hours for about four to six runs. These 4-6 runs will not give me anywhere near your totals but the quality is where i need it to be...one good toke of it thru my lil glass bubbler....and wammo that's it pontiac....it's all good! I only smoke more at that point cuz i'm an extremist i guess. Listening to Mark (Bubbleman) talk in quite a few of his Bubblehash tutorials i made up my mind that his methods were for me . This bubblehash is way better than ANY hash we had back in the day...just so much cleaner and more pure. If you could take...say some of the good Kabul (crossed rifles stamp) from the 80's. say and break it open you will quickly see that it has a green tinge to it....this is cuz it has alot of plant matter in it. It's only blackish on the outside, this is only cuz that outside layer has been exposed to the air ,oxygen....that's what turns it black....the actual hash is a lil green. This black colour happens because it's pressed, and all the gland heads have been broken allowing oxygen to start degrading the resin on that outside layer. I don't press my hash....tried it a couple times like you with one of those little bullet presses but liked it more the way it comes off the cardboard. I can take a pc. of it and litteraly pick up all the rest just by touching or tacking it. It's pretty sticky stuff. Major ...try and take some and keep it in your hand a few min's. to warm it up and see if it starts to get all gummy and melty....this is when you know you've got some nice hash....if it goes all powdery and won't stick to itself very good it's not for me, it's just not pure enough. Cheers pal.:circle-of-love:

Ok fine, Ill take a grip.

Maybe 2 grips now, more later.....err...probably sooner....

I do have the nature of adding steps of anal process to things...maybe I should give bubble making a whirl....never had full melt...met someone recently who said he could process my stuff into rosin though....very appealing...

Hey BK, glad to see you've got a fancy for hash! Talking of that offer you got from your buddy to make you resin from your trim....funny, i used to go to growers houses and process their trim into BH....the deal was 50/50...worked great for me...one problem with that though ...after they witnessed the process and seeing the nice hash it made...they just went out and got bags and did it themselves after that, oh well...at least i was able to pass on some knowledge and make a friend or two! Cheers eh BK.

I completely trust duggan's experience and knowledge about "full melt". So, the answer to that question and use in an oil rig is, "No".

Dry ice is quick and easy for making kief. There is very little mess and you can dial in the purity vs. yield with different bags or screens. I went mainly with sizes from 120 to 190 micron, but I see no reason why you couldn't go down to 45-75. Maybe next time... Regardless, this is kief. It sticks together well, much like finger/scissor hash. This photo sux, but it is the best I could get with my crappy little microscope. You can see some debris in the finished product.

Hopefully this will help anyone interested decide if this is something they want to try.

Kief_Mag.jpg

I get it too Major. Bubble hash can be a hassle if things aren't ALL just right. For me, bubble hash is almost not plausible because I live below the mason dixon and it's NEVER cold enough to prevent it from "greasing off". I still make it and have had some great runs, and a few not so great ones.

If I were to be blessed with your outdoor yield, I too would have to do something. What I would do is exactly what you've done, but I would then take all that dry ice kief and make some high-quality pressed rosin from it. I've squished some buds (ok, ive squished ALOT of buds) and finally getting the hang of it I think. If you were to make rosin from your kief, you might get close to 50% yield and the result would be a much higher quality product. Just a thought.

For me and mine, it would take a nice outdoor run (even just one plant) and I'd make bubble and rosin from the whole thing except a few top colas. Easier to store and cure in hash/rosin form.

:cool:

Thanks Gov! I'll check it out. I'm not familliar with making rosin from kief, but I'm interested. :thanks:

... I've squished some buds (ok, ive squished ALOT of buds) and finally getting the hang of it I think.

anyone ever try the hair iron technique that I believe it was Tav that introduced here on one of Docs threads?

I think he took a dried cured bud and pressed between a heated hair iron...he said it was and it sounded phenomenal. :)

:cheesygrinsmiley:

Yeah man, it was first exposed to us by Tav, but is credited to a dude known as "soilgrown". I still use a hair straightener, but also have access to a thermopatch heat sealer machine (almost identical to what D-nail sells for $700+ lmao) and it works well for larger batches. At first we were cranking the temp to max (or so) and now you want it between 200f-250f and observe as it squishes so you get the idea on best times to squish. It's another great way to reduce large piles to small piles and still increase the quality.

Personally, I still prefer sifted hash, but that's such a low-yielding proposition that I've only done that once with my own stuff. In this still-prohibitionist world, it's tough to see a qp reduced to a small pile...but the product is sooooooo worth it.

Good day Major . Gov., and gang! Major , great pic post there pal....now ,everyone take a really close look at that mic. pic Major has posted. You can see that it is mainly made up of systolic hairs , gland stalks and some debris. Although there is some gland heads randomly in there , it is mainly a lot of other stuff. You really need to examine some full melt hash to see what I mean. I'm dead serious when I say that full melt, unpressed BH looks EXACTLY like looking at a bubblebath. Just gland heads...nothing else. This is how ya get that elusive "full melt" hash.
On another note Major and Gov. , Bubbleman (Mark) sells a set of 20 gal. bags as well as a much larger washer. The bag set I have is for 5 gal. use. If someone were to have a lot of trim, like Major just got thru with , these big 20 gal. bags are the shit, believe me. It makes processing WAAAYYY faster with ALOT of trim. I just never had the need for such big bags. You actually use garbage cans as the holding and draining pales....nice eh, should go to BM clip on u tube and watch him in the Jamaican bush processing pounds of weed. What was left in those big bags made my mouth water....really big globules of very pure reddish BH. Maybe a whole fist full from each collection bag. His big challenge doing it down there was trying to get all the ice he needed to the remote spot in the bush before it melted. All that mixing in the bush was mixed with a big stick, that's all! It's a pretty cool video if anyone wishes to see it.
As well, when I make it ...if I let the lil washer go longer , like say...more than 8 min's. (I mix for 5min. max.) you start to see more of what Major has in his Dry Ice Hash. A lot of immature heads, systolic hairs, gland stalks and plant matter. A nice short mix in my lil washer of 5 min. or less and all that gets knocked off the stalks are the nice heavy, mature , full gland heads with very , very little of that other stuff. I should prolly add too....if anyone has moldy or bad buds in their harvest ...DON'T chuck it....save it for making hash....please! The mold will float in the pales and simply is scooped off the top....presto...now you've got what we want, just the hash and no mold to make us sick.
I remember about 10-11 yrs. ago shortly after I started with my bags ...the guy who was supplying the trim had a bad crop , and had literally pounds and pounds of ruined (not so!) moldy weed. It was just covered with resin everywhere but was just no good for smoking or re-sale.....at least until me and my two buddy's got a hold of it. We were at it all day with the 5 gal. bags and made loads of top shelf full melting BH from it....never had the op. again after that but was so glad we were able to save it....just so ya know OK Gang. Cheers and have an awesome day Major ,Gov. and gang. Duggs. :circle-of-love:

I won't bore you with every drench and foliar spray. My current plan calls for De-Stress each Wednesday and Brix each Sunday, with drenches as needed. Drench rotation is: Full strength Transplant+Tea > Water+1/4 strength Transplant > Growth Energy+1/4 Transplant+Tea > Water+1/4 Transplant > REPEAT.

The kit instructions are simple enough when using the full kit (about 50 gallons soil). But I am currently working with a single plant in a 1 gal. pot. My solution is to mix foliars at the rate of 1ml. per ounce of water. The drenches are mixed with the results of my "Drench Calculator" I posted on Doc's thread. Whether working with one plant or 10, I now have a guideline for mixing regardelss of pot size. It gets interesting when you feed one gallon of soil. For example, Tea is only added in trace amounts. My tools for measuring these small quantities (crap photo):

20150421_060930.jpg

Drench_Calculator.jpg

While in small pots I place the plant in a 1/2 gal. yoghurt tub. One quart of drench is just about perfect to thoroughly soak the pot and nearly fill the tub.

1_gal_drench.jpg

My goal is to update when something unique happens, on the weekends with current pics and measurements, or if there is a problem and I need guidance.
:Namaste:
Waaaaw major . . . .
I feel like an idiot .
What a professional work .
Fantastic.
Best regards

Back
Top Bottom