420 Magazine's Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By Emilya

none of us have it really clear in our heads what harvesting 5 lbs of pot dry weight is going to look like other than it is going to be way awesome.

Remind me to ask you that half way through trimming ha

Veg, Day 52
Day 4 in the Wet/Dry cycle
Day 4 of the 2 week feed cycle
Day 3 of the SNS foliar application

This evening we got them all up-potted to 7 gallon containers with 4 new gallons of brand new Fox Farm's Ocean Forest soil, 3 tablespoons of @DYNOMYCO sprinkled just under the incoming rootball, topped with the proper feeding amount for these containers (2/3 cup) of @GeoFlora Nutrients VEG and watered to runoff with water treated with @Sierra Natural Science SNS 209 at 8ml/gallon and 2 mosquito dunks per the 55 gallon holding barrel. They have been moved to my bloom room where we enjoy a 5'x5' footprint (larger in veg) under the big @NextLight MEGA. Tomorrow after settling in, they will get another foliar spraying of SNS 209 mixed at 38ml/gal.

We plan on vegging for the rest of this new feeding cycle. When it is time to feed again in 2 weeks, we will flip and give them the BLOOM product for the first time. Over this next fortnight we will continue to train where we can and use our best watering techniques to reduce the wet/dry cycle down to 2 or 3 days if possible. Immediately after this uppotting we will go to a light around the edges watering every 3 days, just to keep the top spreader roots going strong and the plant's overall metabolism high, until the plants are capable of draining these larger containers. We will also start building the first couple of levels of tomato cages around these plant to start getting them used to their lean points while they get ready to hold up some massive weight.

The rootballs were tight with the exception of the area right at the bottom, where the layer of aged cow manure was. The roots obviously did not like that section of the container and I need to rethink the use of this layer down there before trying it again.

Here is the tribe in the new room, looking very fine. The room took 20 gallons of water between 11 1/2 plants this evening. Watering is about to become a big part of my life.

DSCF9528.JPG

Uhhh...you sure?! :D
I was off by a little... but not much. Or did I miss your point? Label me as confused.
SNS 209TM Certified by All Natural ASCO Systemic Pesticide Application & Use Guide:
Foliar Spray - Plant Site Use For All Plants & Turf (Leaves (Foliage), Stems, Stalk, Fruit and around Flowers), Coverage = 1 gallon of mixed solution will cover approximately 550 square feet , No restricted entry interval (REI)=0. Mix 2 Tablespoon (32 mL) of concentrate to 1 gallon (3.79L) of water (54 ounces of SNS 209™ per 50 gallons of water per acre)� Spray every 3-4 days for up to 21 days (5 to 7 times). It takes about 2-3 days (1 to 2 weeks for potted plants) after applying to start working and will continue to work for up to 3 weeks. Reapply every 14-28 days as needed. Mixed solution may be stored for up to two weeks or used immediately. For best results use warm (70 degree) Distilled or “Chlorine Free” Water with the least amount of salts the better absorption of SNS-209™.

Oops! I thought it was supposed to be 8ml/gallon. When I saw the 38...that confused me. Haaa haaa. Sorry
No problem! I am glad you were trying to help in case I was screwing it up, Thank You! I am applying at 8ml/gallon as I water, but the foliar application is much stronger

Last night I went upstairs to do my chores, take my pictures and intended to do my update, but a couple of test bowls of Dosido shared with a very sexy lady after I came back downstairs totally distracted me.
Does Mrs. J know?

The rootballs were tight with the exception of the area right at the bottom, where the layer of aged cow manure was. The roots obviously did not like that section of the container and I need to rethink the use of this layer down there before trying it again.
Sounds like the plants did exactly what you wanted. Only sent enough root into the manure to absorb the nutrients they needed. Good way to combat root wrap in the bottom of your plastic pot (if you use plastic). Just a very thin layer probably has more nutrient than the plant needs for the grow.

Veg, Day 53
Day 1 in the Wet/Dry cycle
Day 1 of the 2 week feed cycle
Day 4 of the SNS 209 foliar application

The girls all looked very happy as I checked on them this evening. Everyone seems to be taking to the new containers and the new light quite well, and every leaf was pointing toward the @NextLight MEGA in total bliss.

DSCF9531.JPG

Tonight was time to reapply the @Sierra Natural Science SNS 209 foliar treatment, so I got in there with my sprayer and gave them 5 minutes of good smelling natural bug deterrent. While I was in there, I didn't notice any bugs, but I wasn't looking for them either, but even so it is my impression that the SNS is working and the bug population continues to dwindle.

DSCF9530.JPG

While I was at it, I did notice several cuts still needing to be made, as some individual branches have gotten froggy and are trying to take dominance. Tomorrow I will take some time to get in and spend some time with each plant, confirming that they are all in fact females first of all, taking care of any dominance issues, cleaning up a bit of the undercarriages, and starting to build the first levels of the tomato cages on the largest and widest plants.

Here are some of the cuts that will be made next, just glancing around the room with my camera:

DSCF9532.JPG
DSCF9533.JPG
DSCF9534.JPG
DSCF9535.JPG

So the cuts now are just for an even canopy at this point since they have alternating nodes, correct?
Some of them, especially at the top and in the middle of the plant are just being chopped because they became dominant and are stealing all the energy from the lower nodes that are still rising up. A lot of this lower growth now hitting the top on the sides, are just getting their first cuts, so those cuts are still productive, and will create two buds where there once was one.

Veg, Day 54
Day 2 in the Wet/Dry cycle
Day 2 of the 2 week feed cycle
Day 1 of the SNS foliar application

Here is one of my favorite things, the view as I walk in the bloom room with all these happy plants!

DSCF9536.JPG

This evening I went through them, one by one, making snips where I needed to, sometimes drastic cuts that took away several days worth of growth, just to even out the canopy. Remember our tall one? She has been tamed, cut down to size you might say.

Then after trimming them where necessary, I installed the first layer of tomato cages around the plants and tucked in the wild growth at mid plant level. After things have settled a bit I will go back and take apart each side of the triangle individually, and decide how best to open up the center of the plant, by using plant wire to attach some branches to the outside of the trellis, while letting others rise up inside the plastic restraints. That is also when I will trim out most of the undergrowth that isn't going to make it to the canopy, pretty much leaving the bottom third of the plants bare.

DSCF9538.JPG

I have managed to use too few tomato cage kits in this short version of a cage so as to be able to support all 11 plants, but I am going to need some more cage kits for adding any additional support. Another 4 plant set should supply me with what I need... as I certainly don't need 11 individual kits for these plants yet.

DSCF9539.JPG

So now that they are not spreading out so badly, everyone fits in the room under that light a lot better. Veg goes on for now, with several very important tasks yet to do.

A note on the SNS foliar application... I am going to switch out to 203 on the next application... a bit more aggressive approach. The 209 is still being applied with every watering.

DSCF9538.JPG
DSCF9537.JPG

Veg, Day 57
Day 5 in the Wet/Dry cycle
Day 5 of the 2 week feed cycle
Day 4 of the SNS foliar application

I have been working on the girls the last couple of days, helping them get settled into their new cages. I have cleaned up the bottom third of each plant, removing all the lower growth that will not make it up to canopy height, essentially making the bottom of the plant bare. The tops were then arranged within the cage and using garden wire, attached to a point on the cage either inside or outside of the inner core, trying to clear out the center a bit for light and air to be able to penetrate. This was a huge project and took about 5 hours to accomplish.

DSCF9542.JPG
DSCF9541.JPG

Here is what they looked like before starting:

DSCF9540.JPG

The plants will need watering in the next day or two, definitely working hard to get the water out of the new larger containers. At the end of the clean up process, I also took advantage of this time between waterings to give a special 1 quart watering around the edges. This will further entice the roots to grow laterally and out away from the original rootball, and it will help reduce the wet/dry cycle by dramatically growing new roots.

DSCF9544.JPG

I haven't gotten to the SNS foliar application of the 203 yet, probably tomorrow on that. All seems to be on schedule and we are still planning on flipping in 9 days.

Veg, Day 58
Day 6 in the Wet/Dry cycle
Day 6 of the 2 week feed cycle
Day 5 of the SNS foliar application

Today there was just one cut that needed to be made... you can see the bud rising up in this picture, trying to take dominance over the entire room. This is no longer a problem, and the room is quiet as a result.

DSCF9545.JPG

Today I finished up with the pre-bloom trim and I did my first spraying of SNS 203. Special care was taken to get both sides of every leaf and the top of the soil. This will now be repeated every 3 or 4 days.

All of the plants are using water, but none of them have managed to use all of the water yet. This first time I might take up to 10 days to drain the containers so as to be ready for the next watering. Upon completion of the trim of each plant, they all got 1 watering pitcher (1 quart) of water, just around the outside edges of each container. If they are still not ready to water on day 9 of the wet/dry cycle, I will do this again.

Here are some of the plants in the front row, so you can get an idea of the shape we are taking into bloom
DSCF9548.JPG

And here are a couple of shots from soil level, where you can see all the way through to the back of the room.

DSCF9547.JPG
DSCF9546.JPG

Back
Top Bottom