Jimobry's Bag Seed First Grow Journal

The gnats aren't ever the REAL issue as they do nothing to the plants. They do however lay there larvae into the medium who then feed on the root structures and the nutrients in the soil. This can inhibit growth in your plant and cause deficiencies. Place half of a raw potato upside down in the medium and check it within 24 hours. If you see larvae you will need to treat your medium to rid it of the larvae

Thanks guys.
Mystery Seeds, thank you for the kind words, it makes me feel even better when someone shares my view. Thanks for the information about yellowing too, there is something that looks a bit weird though, if you look at the last photo of the yellow leaves, there is a spot there that i tried to zoom on, that just doesn't look like an ordinary yellowing, and I saw it once before on a different leaf.

Dan, I actually read about the threat involved, and that's why i started to worry when I saw the increase in gnats occurring. I am just not sure about the way to treat the soil, I ordered neem oil, but I guess that it will take a month to arrive, though I can buy one in some shop if need be. I am just not sure how to make a root drench with it.
Thanks for the potato method, I will try it out tomorrow, cause the plants are just about to go into sleep mode.

Thanks guys.
Thanks for the information about yellowing too, there is something that looks a bit weird though, if you look at the last photo of the yellow leaves, there is a spot there that i tried to zoom on, that just doesn't look like an ordinary yellowing, and I saw it once before on a different leaf.

Wish I could be of more use on the subject, but I still don't feel it's anything to get too worried about. If the spots start to spread, then you'll have more information on which to base a decision. For future reference, keep these threads handy as they may lead you to a solution.

Help on Identifying Plant Deficiency

Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial

All the best!

Thank you very much for the compliment and good advise/
I just read a thorough article on how to use peroxide to kill the larvae, and I plan on putting it to use ASAP.
I will keep you all updated about the results. wish me luck :thumb:[/QUOTE

You're most welcome, and Best of luck! What you can also do is go and buy a Pitcher Plant/carnivorous plant, might not take care of the issue in the soil but any gnat that has matured will be attracted to the sweet scent that the carnivorous plant gives off, keeping them off your ladies.

Thank Whitty, I will start treating with the peroxide, and hopefully it will take care of that issue. I dont really have room for any more plants inside my tiny tent unfortunately, so I don't think that adding an extra one is possible...

I am dealing with a new issue, today was a hot day, over 30 degrees Celsius, 85F. and temperature in my grow tent reached as high as 38 degrees in my hotspot (apparently temps varies inside my little tent), which as you know is ridiculously high.
I am trying to find a solution for that by cooling my bedroom somehow. An AC is not possible, because my landlord made it clear that the bedroom in my house cant handle one for some reason, and the 1HP AC in my living room just doesn't cut it, i tried running it, and when my girl came back home and checked the temps, they were still just as high as before.
I hear that there are certain machines that are called Air Coolers out there which take less electricity but still produce cold air, they just work differently, instead of bringing RH down, they bring it up or something - some sort of water system that helps to cool the air. The thing is that those machines are apparently not very effective in high RH places, so I was wondering if anyone has or had any experience with a similar unit, and can possibly share some knowledge' or perhaps if anyone has any suggestions about how to lower my temps. I was super worried all day. Hopefully the next few days are not going to be as hot, but still I got a clue at what I am looking at in the coming month or two before harvest, if I will not be able to get the temps lower. It is summer time...
I even thought about turning my cfls off, or some of them at least, in order to deal with the hot days, obviously I would much rather not do that, considering that the plants seem to love the extra light that they are getting, but weighing my options, it seems like the extra heat is just not worth the extra light.
What about using a frozen water bottle, or several, would that work? I cant seem to find anything really on that.
It has been a crazy day in my grow tent. Jimbory is calling SOS
Peace and love on you all.

P.s. when i opened this thread it was mostly just to share my experience, but now it seems like a cry for help. really wasnt my intention.:sorry:

You can look into make shift AC units on you tube using basically a cooler, block of dry ice, and a desk fan. Dry Ice evaporates pretty quick, so it would get pretty expensive if you are running it all the time. I use a Cool Mist invisible vapor humidifier that lowers my room about 5-8*F. It uses a filter to wick moisture up through a filter and then a fan to distribute the cooler humid air. But, it raises the RH as well.

I would look into homemade AC for emergency purposes.

It has been a crazy day in my grow tent. Jimbory is calling SOS
Peace and love on you all.

Here are a few possible fixes:

• Adjust your light cycle to run during the night and be off during the hottest part of the day. Do this slowly by adjusting the cycle an hour or two each day to avoid shocking the plants.
  • Water your plants will cool water.
  • Run a flexible air duct from the bottom air intake port on your tent the coolest part of your room/house (under the bed, near an A/C unit, into a cool basement, etc).
  • Put a water bottle or two in front of the circulating fan in your tent. This works like a swamp cooler by evaporating the water that condensates on the outside of the bottles. This will increase the RH, but it's better than burning your plants or killing your soil.
  • Unplug a CFL or two.
  • Attach the CFLs to a seperate timer and have them turn off during the hot parts of the day.
  • Place a fan in your window that exhausts air out. Even if the door to the rest of the house is closed, the negative air-pressure created by the exhaust fan will bring down temps a little.

Try a combination of these for maximum effect. But my #1 recommendation is to adjust the light schedule. If you try any of these, please let us know what works best.

Thank you so much for all of the advise, it gives me some nice ideas for sure.
I will let you know what happens.
First thing that I am going to do is find a way to get an accurate reading of my thermo meter, cause I read that if it is positioned right next to the light it can give a false one. after that i will be smarter.
as for changing the light schedule, it is something I fear because the tent is not perfectly lightproof at the moment, and the heat is released into the room where we sleep, and might become more then a nuisance. I am going to try and connect a longer duct to lead the heat to the outside of the room and see how it helps, although i am only using a 160cfm exhaust fan and the longer the duct and the more twists and turns, the less effective it gets. so I need to think about that too.
the cooler idea might work well, especially if i connect a duct running from it into another intake hole in the tent. I hope it will do the trick.
I will keep the journal updated whatever I choose or do.
Thank you guys again:thanks::adore:

Flowering Week 3 Day 4
Good news: the heat has subdued a bit, now temps are top 30c during the day, and it seems like the ladies are dealing fine with it at the moment.
They were watered yesterday, and I got to see exactly how many of those little gnats bastards I have, I bought some peroxide, but I couldn't find 1 liter bottles, only 100ml, so I bought 3 bottles. I plan to wait until the top part of the soil is properly dry and use one part peroxide : four parts water and try spraying the top few inches properly, hopefully it will do the trick, killing the larvae. the next day or two after the treatment they will get a proper nutes dose to replenish what ever minerals that the peroxide damaged and it will be time for feeding anyway.

Mean while, here are some new bud shots:
DSC_08338.JPG
DSC_08368.JPG
DSC_083712.JPG
DSC_08387.JPG

Good night every one!:Namaste:

Great journal buddy :D almost at the same flowering day too ! haha

Plants look good and healthy ;)

I had a gnat problem myself aswell , those little bastards are hard to deal with ! I used sticky papers like you did and let the soil dry up a little bit and thats what made their numbers go down ! right now i can just see like a couple ones flying inside the tent (6-7) but nothing more than that .

Im gona keep track of your journal and see how we go through the end together since we're at a one day difference only :)

Cheers :goodjob:

Update:
Flowering Week 4 Day 1 (21 days from 12/12 aprox 17 days from first pistil)
So three days ago the plants were treated against larvae using peroxide, and more sticky traps were spread to deal with the remaining gnats.
It seems as if I have taken back control over the problem, I can not see any of those bastards flying around any more :cheesygrinsmiley: I hope it lasts.
Yesterday all the girls got nutrients: 2ml/l Bio Grow, 2ml/l Bio bloom, 2ml/l Bio Heaven, and 1.2ml/l Top Max.
Today I noticed some yellowing on one of my girls, Xena. It seems like a lot of the leaves are turning yellowish. What do you guys thing? could it be a Nitrogen def? or am I missing something else?
Example:
DSC_08594.JPG
DSC_08565.JPG

Apart from that the buds seem like that they are filling nicely. I find myself smiling wide every time I open the tent to take a peek.
Here are some photos from this week:
3/5
DSC_083911.JPG
DSC_08418.JPG
DSC_08423.JPG
DSC_08436.JPG
DSC_08444.JPG

5/5
DSC_08496.JPG
DSC_08506.JPG
DSC_08538.JPG
DSC_08556.JPG
DSC_08588.JPG
DSC_08604.JPG

Ok thats all I have for today.
Any help recognizing the yellowing problem will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all for following, and:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom