Lady Cannafan's Seedsman Comparative Grow Banana Jealousy ViparSpectra KS5000

Please be sure to read the short poem. ;-)

1712080879268.png

Hehe, feeling poetically evil today dear? :woohoo::green_heart:
Thank you for reading that! LOL
I have been using that little poem for well over thirty years. I love to read it to older folks and start it with "my 9 year old niece wrote this for a school project in her poetry class". They ooh and ahh at her writing at such a young age, until they get to the end and look like they want to slap me. :rofl:

I have the need......
the need for WEED! :laugh:

Here's Frannie and Tricia from up top. I have to keep tucking their fan leaves in, they resist those tie downs, but they are getting there.
I think training these plants is like an artist sculpting. It's an enjoyable time working with it.

Man those look great!
Mine have been overwatered since up pot and look horrible. I need to remove the lower nodes and start training but don’t want to stress them until I get the issue sorted

Man those look great!
Mine have been overwatered since up pot and look horrible. I need to remove the lower nodes and start training but don’t want to stress them until I get the issue sorted
I haven't removed any lower nodes. I only topped them at the 4th. The lower ones are being kept down and trained outward. I should have some pretty good pics of that in a few days. Those fan leaves are a huge bother, but they are needed, so I deal with it. LOL They are growing out fast.

How often are you watering?

I haven't removed any lower nodes. I only topped them at the 4th. The lower ones are being kept down and trained outward. I should have some pretty good pics of that in a few days. Those fan leaves are a huge bother, but they are needed, so I deal with it. LOL They are growing out fast.

How often are you watering?
I watered till runoff at transplant then watered again a couple days later to get some cal mag in em for that deficiency. Then in a rush I assumed they needed it again about two days after that, not considering I had increased soil volume. So, I’m back to weighing them.
First time I’ve tried only bottom watering so, trying to figure things out.
I may mist the top of the soil a little tonight and let the roots keep working on drying out the bottom.

I watered till runoff at transplant then watered again a couple days later to get some cal mag in em for that deficiency. Then in a rush I assumed they needed it again about two days after that, not considering I had increased soil volume. So, I’m back to weighing them.
First time I’ve tried only bottom watering so, trying to figure things out.
I may mist the top of the soil a little tonight and let the roots keep working on drying out the bottom.
This is just the way I do mine, others do the runoff thing to start, some others wait a few weeks to start doing that.

I don't water until I see run off with the fabric pots during veg stage. I water only until I can feel dampness on the pot, or until a "lift it" feels right to me. I do top watering, always have. I want the water to distribute through all of the soil on the way down. This is the reason I have the hydroton pebbles on the top of the pots. It helps distribute the water evenly and doesn't create holes in the soil when I water them. I do give a little in the bottom trays, but not too much

In between time, I put my fingers under the pot or on the lower sides and if it still feels damp I leave it alone. Currently it's about every 3 days, in the 3 gallon fabric pots. Right now it's only about 1/3 gallon for each pot when it's time to feed/water.

Comments are welcome ya'll! As I said, it's just the way I do it. Other methods are openly accepted for posting here. :)

This is just the way I do mine, others do the runoff thing to start, some others wait a few weeks to start doing that.

I don't water until I see run off with the fabric pots during veg stage. I water only until I can feel dampness on the pot, or until a "lift it" feels right to me. I do top watering, always have. I want the water to distribute through all of the soil on the way down. This is the reason I have the hydroton pebbles on the top of the pots. It helps distribute the water evenly and doesn't create holes in the soil when I water them. I do give a little in the bottom trays, but not too much

In between time, I put my fingers under the pot or on the lower sides and if it still feels damp I leave it alone. Currently it's about every 3 days, in the 3 gallon fabric pots. Right now it's only about 1/3 gallon for each pot when it's time to feed/water.

Comments are welcome ya'll! As I said, it's just the way I do it. Other methods are openly accepted for posting here. :)
Sounds right to me. I was using a half gallon every 3rd day in fabric pots. I think in stretch and flower I should have increased that in hindsight. Hence all my deficiencies. But, that’s part of being new. I was told half doses on everything and water/watet/feed and that autos don’t need as much nutrients… none of that has been true for me. Even with advice from here and other places, the misinformation along with the bad advice makes this a bit difficult. Theres no replacement for experience.

I treat each plant to it's individual needs, course I'm also used to taking care of exotic insects and to do that you must understand the insect as an individual. Same applies to the plants. I probably wouldn't be very successful at growing in a giant room like @NickHardy and some the more commercial sized garden set ups. That definitely takes practice and skills. I think you're doing a fine job @Olddog Newtrick. An I water my fabric pots here in there without soaking wet. I do that once a week, otherwise it's just a cup or 2 here an there. When the fabric is dry and the substrate sucks into itself.. like loose fitted pants.. that's when I do a big watering. I let them soak in the water runoff a maybe 20 30 minutes before giving that to the outdoors. An if your unsure of something, there's always a 2nd opinion 😉

I treat each plant to it's individual needs, course I'm also used to taking care of exotic insects and to do that you must understand the insect as an individual. Same applies to the plants. I probably wouldn't be very successful at growing in a giant room like @NickHardy and some the more commercial sized garden set ups. That definitely takes practice and skills. I think you're doing a fine job @Olddog Newtrick. An I water my fabric pots here in there without soaking wet. I do that once a week, otherwise it's just a cup or 2 here an there. When the fabric is dry and the substrate sucks into itself.. like loose fitted pants.. that's when I do a big watering. I let them soak in the water runoff a maybe 20 30 minutes before giving that to the outdoors. An if your unsure of something, there's always a 2nd opinion 😉
Oooh....I would love to take photos of your exotic insects. I get down and personal with them, right to the hairs on their butts. LOL

Thanks for the input! Every now and then I will have a plant that needs special attention for some reason or another, so you have to watch them all for sure.

I water by feel

anything smaller than 1/2gal pot - squirt squirt 💦 usually everyday. I'm not trying to soak the plant just trying to keep it moist and not dry out.

1/2gal + bigger
Usually get watered only when the pot feels light and airy. Most know this feeling, if you don't then it's an important feel to gain. I moisten the top of the pot with my pressurized water bottle, probably 4-10oz per pot. Wait 30min, water the pot until run off. During late veg or flowering Wait 30min final water until run off again.

I never reuse runoff on cannabis plants, or let them sit in a tray of runoff. It was my understanding, and I could be completely wrong. But your flushing excess salts and minerals from soils? Couldn't that cause lockout or nutrient toxicities?

I have used runoff in garden and yard with minimal issues.

I water by feel

anything smaller than 1/2gal pot - squirt squirt 💦 usually everyday. I'm not trying to soak the plant just trying to keep it moist and not dry out.

1/2gal + bigger
Usually get watered only when the pot feels light and airy. Most know this feeling, if you don't then it's an important feel to gain. I moisten the top of the pot with my pressurized water bottle, probably 4-10oz per pot. Wait 30min, water the pot until run off. During late veg or flowering Wait 30min final water until run off again.

I never reuse runoff on cannabis plants, or let them sit in a tray of runoff. It was my understanding, and I could be completely wrong. But your flushing excess salts and minerals from soils? Couldn't that cause lockout or nutrient toxicities?

I have used runoff in garden and yard with minimal issues.
Hi OGP,
I have been growing in organic soil, watering by feel but never to runoff. It is my impression that runoff may remove nutrients and biology from the soil. I am learning a lot here and don't claim that Im doing it right. What do you think about just keeping the plants watered without runoff?

Hi OGP,
I have been growing in organic soil, watering by feel but never to runoff. It is my impression that runoff may remove nutrients and biology from the soil. I am learning a lot here and don't claim that Im doing it right. What do you think about just keeping the plants watered without runoff?
When using organic or living soil, it probably would be better to maintain those nutrients. I'm sure someone will pop in! Would be good information to know for a soil guy like me!

Hi OGP,
This provided some insight!

Watering for organic medium

Finally got the erasable calendar board up in the grow room
I am soooo known for forgetting what week or day we're on with plants....and forgetting when I fed/watered. LOL
You have a link for that board?
I’ve been getting lazy and forgetting to write things down

Back
Top Bottom