My First Grow! Big Bud + 8 Ball Kush CFL's

Hey everyone, sorry for no response lately, been having a manic xmas. Hope you all had a goodun.
I have flushed my plants last week, and I think they may be ready for the chop in another week. Will post some pics later of the trichomes, for you opinion.

The close ups here are of the Big Bud.

DSCF1985.JPG
DSCF1984.JPG
DSCF19831.JPG
DSCF1982.JPG
DSCF19802.JPG
DSCF19791.JPG

Quick question :420: .... If plants are still producing fresh white Pistils from the bud sites, does this mean they re still flowering and not at the end of their flowering cycle? They have been in 12/12 now for 8 weeks, but did not start flowering properly until a few days after that.

So that puts them at about 7 1/2 weeks. I'm pretty sure they could go another couple of weeks as they are under CFL's afterall, and they can take longer, do you agree?

Also, i didn't notice any amber coloured trichs, mainly still cloudy/clear.

Keep an eye on the trichs colour. I've had plants get a second wind and shoot out new calyxes at full maturity (confusing the hell out of me). Just go by the trichome colour. Don't go too long though as you risk getting male flowers developing and you will risk fertilization. Male flowers will be yellow in colour and look like a banana shape. They are often called nanas. If you find some just remove them.
They look ready going by the pictures though, so it shouldn't be long:).

I would wait until you see amber trichomes to harvest, your plants are still growing as the trichomes mature. When cannabis is grown under Compact Florescent Lights it can take several weeks longer for them to mature. Most people harvest from 5%-30% amber trichomes. Harvest at 5%-15% for a "head high" energetic effect and harvest at 30%-50% amber trichomes for a "body stone" sedative effect strain dependent.

Plants are at roughly 8 1/2 weeks flowering now, and after a close inspection of some macro shot, I think the trichs are JUST starting to turn amber. They are mainly all cloudy, so I think they can go one more week then time for harvest.

Does anyone have an estimate to a dry weight for both plants? I am not expecting much, if I get an ounce of each I will be lucky, but happy. The heat issues I had half way through really stunted them, and they never quite flourished after that.

But its been a massive learning curve, and all the problems I've encountered on this grow will be put behind me for the next grow soon to be commencing.

Here's a few recent shots of the garden.

McFrosty.JPG
DSCF20353.JPG
DSCF20344.JPG
DSCF20311.JPG
DSCF20321.JPG
DSCF20332.JPG
DSCF20303.JPG
DSCF20292.JPG
DSCF20282.JPG
DSCF20275.JPG
DSCF20264.JPG

Just another quick question for you knowledgeable folk... :;):

In terms of trimming my buds when they are harvested, how much of the 'sugar' leaf on the buds would you leave on (if any).
I mean the small dense leaves covered in trichomes that form in the bud. Can you smoke this part or will it taste too leafy?
I have highlighted it in this picture...Could someone re-highlight the picture showing where exactly you would trim?
Many thanks again... :)

trim5.jpg

Hey Funky Skunk, looking good in here:thumb:

As for trimming when harvesting, it really comes down to personal preference. For personal smoke, I tend to be a bit more gracious with with trimming sugar leaf off. The curing process will inevitability breakdown the sugars(the nasty, harsh smoke), and the chlorophyll(the nasty taste) in as little as 2 weeks.

for bag appeal, however, trimming everything BUT bud is ideal. I personally trim as much leaf off as possible when I harvest. I figure all that trim is going to be used as oil and tinctures anyway. And some of the 'mistakenly cut flowers' from the trim process makes excellent filler in a spliff too:high-five:

Here is an example of a decent trim. This is personal smoke!

20140106_083000.jpg
20140106_084446.jpg

Welcome to the site Street Dweller! Hope you find a home here at :420:

Thanks, I linked my thread in my signature, I'll be here to stay, after lurking different forums this one seemed like the most helpful and best fit for me, by a large margin haha, not trying to derail this thread though, sorry, again, awesome thread and grow Funky

Thanks African Grower, awesome clear pics, gives me a real good idea of what and what not to trim. Street Dweller, real glad you've enjoyed reading my thread, hopefully you will pick up alot of pointers and advice from the amazing folk here on :420: I know I certainly would of had a much harder time if it wasn't for them:love:

When I trim my harvested bud I trim the sugar leaves flush with the bud so when dried the buds are ready to be smoked. Some people leave the trichome covered sugar leaves on the bud and smoke them as well. I use my trimmings as well to make hashish if that is a factor in how much sugar leaf you will remove.

Back
Top Bottom