Orphan Rescue - 1st Grow - Ghettoest Of The Ghetto

Re: Orphan rescue/1stGrow/Ghettoest of the ghetto

I watered them alot at first out of ignorance, it has been 4 days since the last watering, i'll wait untill tomorrow morning to water them again (8:30 PM here). Still, even if the pH isn't the source of the problem, i guess my plants would benefit from a pH ajustment, no?

Too high or low of a water ph can cause lockouts of nutrients so the plants can't take them in so yes I would still try to get the water ph up to 6.5. And like Dresney said they shouldn't need feeding just yet. She knows a lot more about these plants than she lets on- her plants are beautiful!:adore:
And I'm no expert- just struggle with bad tap water too- I have the opposite problem- PH 8.5 out of the tap.

Flo, you flatter me! :kiss: I've just been blessed with good tap water and got lucky with choosing gentle nutes. I get scared when I have to help someone with more than the basics. :laughtwo:

Here's a chart, Shin. Your discoloring can definitely be caused by pH being out of whack and locking out nutes. I have a feeling once that's under control the color will turn a nice green again.

Nutrient_Availability_chart1.JPG

Let me clarify: once your pH is settled your new growth will be a nice green. I don't think the leaves that are already discolored will change. So it might take a couple days for you to see an improvement. Just didn't want you to think it wasn't working. :;):

And you're very welcome! :thumb:

:welcome:you chose the best site for comedy, great shares, and success (usually), did you see my bat? caught 3 times killing moths for me.here's the bat caught in HD from my plant observation chair
Return of the BAT! Caught again with HD & audio - YouTube
Hey, no problem! I love helping out. I posted on my journal, so I think we'll have some reinforcements soon. :high-five:

Hey trichomes, that bat hunting looks awesome, not many bats around my parts but sometimes you can get a glimpse of one caught out during the late afternoon when there is still light out.

I just got baking soda, raised pH of water to 7/7.2 and measure the runoff at 6.5, gave the soil a good soak, and now i wait...

I will post a more detailed description of the process later and maybe some pics

Could this be the right time to start LST?

Bit early I would say, they are still very small, and they have had a bit of a tough start, so probably best to let them grow a bit first - I'm not an expert, but I like pretending to be...Somebody with far more authority will confirm or deny my claims - this forum is better than most weed related ones I checked out for sorting the bull from the gold. Lots of nice people.

And Hi, I like your cheap style. :) I thought I was pretty cheap - but you are beating me by a mile.

And awwww, that was lovely Dresney, reps for being so so nice!

x

Think I didn't elaborate enough about the ph. I'd try keep the ph of the water you use on them 7 or under. Over that can cause its own set of lockout issues. The best ph for soil is 6.2 to 6.8. I water with 6.75 and get 6.0 for runoff.
And i agree with Cerdito - Id let them get a bit healthier first before the lst starts.
Do you have a thermometer in the box with them? Just curious about how hot it gets in there.

And Hi, I like your cheap style. :) I thought I was pretty cheap - but you are beating me by a mile.

As they say, necessity is the mother of invention... I'm going to leave her alone for a few more days and see how it goes.

Flower, do you think i should flush with 6.7 now? or should i wait untill the next watering and then correct the water pH?

The plant area is about 78-82 degrees.

Shin, my gut is saying to hold off on more watering to see what your new growth looks like. That being said, my gut is a bit of a noob. Wait for Flo or someone else to chime in though because I could be wrong - a flush might be in order. But I'd say you're a lot closer to where you need to be than you were and can tune it in even more next time. :thumb:

And awwww, that was lovely Dresney, reps for being so so nice!

Thanks, Cerdito! I just love spreading the love. :420: has treated me wonderfully and I want to make sure others get that same experience. :high-five:

Hi ShinSeiki, I don't think you should flush them- soggy roots would be worse than 7 ph water. I read you have a fan on them so your temps sound fine. Leaving them alone is the perfect plan of action for those babies. Keep up the good work!:thumb:

I'm going to let them recover from the ordeal for a few more days, tomorrow i'll take some pics of the new growth.

For the sake of idiot-proofing (no disrespect, IT lingo) i'm going to go over what i did step by-step.
-2 litre tub of water straight out of the tap (wanted to test chlorine at diferent points, ended up not registering on the scale).
-Teaspoon of baking soda (more than enough to make the pH shoot way above 8)
-Measure
-Dump a bit of tub water and refill with tap water to dilute.
-Measure
-Dump a bit of tub water and refill with tap water to dilute.
-Measure
-Repeat until you get the desired pH
-Water generously
-Measure runoff (the water thas seeps through your pot holes, should be around 6.5 if you've done it right)
-Ajust as needed

As they say, it ain't rocket science. Feel free to chime in and correct me.

Sounds like you should see an improvement soon. :thumb:

One little bit of advice is to let your tap water sit out for at least 24 hours before using it. This will let the chlorine (which isn't so good for the plants) in it evaporate off. Also, you may see a pH change in the water with just letting it sit out. I'm not sure which direction it'll move, but just some food for thought. :;):

I did some more in-depth research on the chlorine levels in my local water for my aquariums, the concentration is so low that you can breed fish in it. Also tastes great, i can't remember the last time i bought bottled water since i moved here. In some ways living in a small town in the middle of nowhere really pays off.

Never measured pH changes after sitting though, i'm going to look into that...

Got a bit of bittersweet news today, my main plant fell over during the night (fan too close? moved it further away just in case), had to ghetto-rig her upright... The good news is she just turned her leaves sideways and kept on growing, hopefully whe will start growing upright from now on.

photo_2_3_4.JPG

Here you can see the sideways growth from last night.

photo_1_3_7.JPG

Plant 2 has been growing slow and steady, despite being the one closest to the fan it has'nt fallen over once.

Question: should i have left her the way she was and then continue with LST or did i do the right thing by setting her straight? i was very careful not to do any damage to the plant.

You did ther right thing straightening her up! She really should have a few more leaves before the lst starts I think. They are both looking very nice- keep up the good work!:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom