Orphan Rescue - 1st Grow - Ghettoest Of The Ghetto

Re: Orphan rescue/1stGrow/Ghettoest of the ghetto

Update time!

Just made a 6.5 baking soda solution, watered, measured 6.3/6.5 runoff, might have helped the fact that tap water had a slightly higher pH today at 6.0.

Plant 1 has continued to show signs of burning, could the CFL's be too close? moved them further up a couple of inches to see i it helps
photo_1_4_3.JPG

Plant 2 also has some signs of burning but seems to be holding up alot better.
photo_2_4_1.JPG

End of the month means i get to spend another few bucks, what do you think my next purchase should be? Should i get soil with better pH and attempt to move them? should i get more lights? Should i get a proper pH down from the smarshop? I am open to any and all sugestions!

Hmm, Shin. I wish I had some better answers about the color. Even with the proper pH range they're looking a bit yellow. I would be surprised if the CFLs were the culprit unless they were very, very close to/touching the leaves. My CFLs are literally ~2 inches from my plant's leaf tips and I haven't had any burn. One way to be sure they're not burning them is to hold your hand out by the leaves of your plant. The bulb only needs to be far enough away that you can't feel the heat on your hand.

The only thing I could think of is the soil having too many nutrients. I've read that compost can be very hot (nutrient-rich) and can cause seedlings to struggle. 68% compost might be too much. Maybe you could try cutting that soil down with some perlite and/or other inert medium. Perlite will also make your soil drain easier.

The general rule of thumb for feeding nutrients I've heard/read is not to feed until there are 5 nodes and 5 inches of growth. I don't think either of your babes are there yet, which is the only reason I don't think it's lack of food.

I'm going to think about it some more and maybe harass some wise minds to see if they can take a peek.

Update time!

Sunday 2/12 - Plant number 1 has continued to grow, but it's still very very yellow and the burns are spreading...
photo_1_4_3.JPG

Plant number 2 is a slow grower, but it's looking alot better.
photo_2_4_1.JPG

Wednesday, 04/12 - I Acidentally left one of the sockets off after i took some pictures so they got about 16 hours of half-strength light, to my surprise, i noticed the new growth had a healthy green colour, could the CFL's be burning my plant? i turned it back on to see what happens next.

First pic i took (after this starts half-light period)
photo_1_5_1.JPG

16 hours of half-light later
photo_1_7_.JPG

Plus 10 hours of full light later.
photo_4_1_6.JPG

I think the yellow is coming back i will keep the full lights on overnight to be sure, then i may think about repositioning the lights.

Plant 2 is looking great, she's a fighter!
photo_3_3_6.JPG

Also, have a pH meter and ppm meter on the way, so by this time next week i will be able to give you acurate pH and ppm readings.

Thoughts?

That's about the same as mine. And you have 3 45 watts and 1 40 watt?

Are you taking the temperature at the foliage level?

When you put your hand on the leaves do you feel the heat from the bulbs?

Yes, total 130w, i'm taking it between the leaves and the bulbs and no, i can't feel the heat coming off them.

Hmm, if you can't feel the heat with your hand than it's not too hot. My temps usually reach 82F and sit there unless I remove the panel and stare at them. That's not a bad temp.

I'm going to go with the soil being too nutrient-rich. I'm going to poke some people and see if they'll come take a look.

Back
Top Bottom