Orphan Rescue - 1st Grow - Ghettoest Of The Ghetto

Re: Orphan rescue/1stGrow/Ghettoest of the ghetto

No problem! I'm using a baking soda solution to raise the pH from 6.0 (tap) to 6.8, adding to the 5.5 pH soil gives me a runnof in the 6.3-6.5 region.

Thank you dresney for pointing this out to me :)

What are you using to test?...and if its a meter have you calibrated it lately?...also how often and how much do you water?

Looks like the plants in the pics are deficient in something, although "light bleaching" is also a possibility. It is definitely possible to do this with cfls, especially with seedlings.

If the soil is the issue, I would guess it's not pH, it could be that the mix you're using isn't quite "hot" enough, even seedlings need nutes. Some strains like more nutes than others, I have a plant now that I had to feed at 3 nodes.

This is one of my seedlings with a ph issue (in the back)

image3942.jpg

I bought a new meter...mine had dried out and was giving inaccurate readings

Same plant a couple weeks ago

image5786.jpg

It may not be your problem but if it was me I would make sure your ph is correct

Jay, i have a meter coming my way in the mail, until then i'm stuck with strips...

I have been watering every 4-5 days depending on felt moisture in the soil at about 1 inch of depth. i have been watering with about half a litre each plant.

I would test by lifting the pots instead ...when they are light then water

Well, hmm. I'm searching for a some good photos of light bleaching to do some comparisons, but I'm not finding any good ones right away. I'm going to keep looking.

I'd take them off 24/0 and use 18/6 either way though.

I think for now the best I can do is say move the lights back a couple inches, give them a 6 hour dark period and hold out til your pH meter arrives.

Hopefully it is light bleaching - that's an easy fix. :thumb:

Yep Dres is right, plus 18/6 is better for root growth, plants definitely benefit from a dark period. I don't even use 24/0 anymore, even seedlings go under 18/6 in my space.

Oooo, this'll be a good one.

Sub'd for sure

I cant offer any help or guidance with this issue as I am starting my first grow and have no experience with such things. Instead I will follow along and learn.

I can offer encouragement and good vibes though! :clap::high-five::smokin:

No problem! I'm using a baking soda solution to raise the pH from 6.0 (tap) to 6.8, adding to the 5.5 pH soil gives me a runnof in the 6.3-6.5 region.

Thank you dresney for pointing this out to me :)

Hey SS...I am subb'd in on this grow with you buddy... looks like your well into your learning curve here, right?
I mainly grow organic soil myself. One of the most common problems in growing is the PH... 5.7 - 6.0 works very well. When plants are young in Veg, with the delicacy of the plant tissue. Very light feedings, remember it's the light that's the food. The nutes aren't what is making the plant grow fast. During the light cycle when on the plant is absorbing all that energy and storing it in the roots. And when switched off, the plant builds up pressure inside it until it triggers Auxin - plant hormone, to grow. There is two little highways inside the stem. One is the road for the macro elements and the other is for the micro elements. If you have your PH wrong. Then it affects the roads and you have lock out of nutes. And they don't go away, They stay around until the plant can up take it. The you get nute burn.
When you get PH burns in your plant, you should flush with very minute nutes mixed in, and if you are using Tap water. call your water district up and have them send you a water analysis...see what your working with. But if you are running a filter system. Put your tap water in a open container and let it sit out for a 2 - 3 day's to expel the chlorine in it. Chlorine is a big no no for organic crops, it eats our organic organisms. which can lead to root rot or worse... sorry for writing a book here, I'll close now. Good Luck !!!!:Namaste:

Mango, first of all thank you and welcome, you can always feel free to write away. No info is too much info and when passion for the hobbie is involved one tends to get carried away, and that's right up my alley. It's because of people like you and dresney (and jay, and dank, and leef, and so on and so on...) that my plants are still alive and i haven't given up in frustration.

On a side update, i managed to score myself a partner to share some of the load, financial and otherwise (he's an engineer, lazy but good with power tools/wiring) and that means my grow might get a foot out of the ghetto soon. I'm looking into dwc systems but that's another grow for another journal. There is a catch though, i need to finish this grow by the end of january and that means i need to put them on 12/12 real soon. i know they probably won't produce any smokable weed, but a big part of my future grow is quality seeds with the genetic characteristics i need. Also, i need to move by the end of january and the plants will be at a stage where moving them will be extremely dificult without killing them so i will need to cut them however they are.

No pics today as i'm out of town, got that timer and they are currently doing 18/6 cycle. Because of the particular way my system is hooked up, leaving the fan on during dark peroids wasn't an imediate option, i timed the whole thing together, hope that won't hurt the girls, any thoughts?

Edit: My meters arrived in the mail, i brought them with me along with everything i need to calibrate them during down times, should have the first proper readings on sunday.

Sometimes I turn my fan off during dark periods because it gets rather chilly in my grow space with lights off. I don't do it often though because one morning I woke up and found my plants 'sweating' for the first time. Basically, moisture builds up where leaves are rubbing against each other. This can lead to mold/powdery mildew. But my humidity also shoots up to 65-70% during lights off (sometimes a 35%+ increase from lights on). If your humidity isn't going this high it's probably not as big of a deal.

In short, it's probably not going to hurt anything, but people generally recommend to keep a low breeze going all the time. I'm a rebel and turn my fan off when I feel like it! :laughtwo:

Just keep an eye on moisture buildup - see what they look like when your lights first come on. You'll be fine :thumb:

I have lived in the same room as they are now for more than a year and have never noticed any major changes in temperature or humidity even during the winter, insulation wise it's a pretty nice room. It's been a pretty cold week with temperatures going below 30 at night so i feared the fan would drop the temperature too much, maybe i'll rewire the system to allow for diferenciated cycles between the lights and fan.

You can remove the yellow if it's ugly to you. It won't help or hinder the plant to have the yellow there or gone. If the entire leaf is yellow you can remove it, as it's not doing anything beneficial for the plant anymore.

I have some yellow leaves on the very bottom of my plant (the first two sets) and I've left them on. They just get crinkly and fall off in their own time. Some people say to remove totally dead (yellow, crinkly) leaves because they can attract bugs.

Do you have a hygrometer? I bet you'd be surprised how much humidity fluctuates without us noticing it. My desk in the basement is near my plants and I've watched my humidity go from 33% to 55% in a day and I can't tell a difference in the air. The heat from your lights will suck out any humidity that is naturally in your grow space, keeping their micro-climate dry. When your lights go off moisture is then able to stay in the area.

Back
Top Bottom