Orphan Rescue - 1st Grow - Ghettoest Of The Ghetto

Update time! i have my fingers crossed for some bud, thanks for the support Leef, but we knew the odds. I'm just happy i didn't get 2 males.

My lady seems fine, still no sign of pistil coiling or browning, gave her pH'd water yesterday. Also pushed some fan leaves around that where shading bud sites.

Pics!

photo_2_12_1.JPG

photo_3_4_5.JPG

Thanks leef, many props and many thanks!

Mini-update: I gave her another feeding today, i have given up on measuring pH in my nutrient solution as it hits 6.8 bang on every time (800ppm in distilled water). I'm on the lookout for Cal-Mag deficiencies but so far so good.

She has taken a great shape with very little interference, i'm bursting with pride :D this has been a most worthwile venture!

Pics! The people demand pics!

photo_1_13_2.JPG

photo_2_13_1.JPG

edit:Stupid phone with it's stupid orientation

Update: I'm sticking with 3 feedings a week, one with pHd water and 2 with nutes. I have also been pruning the leaves that shade budsites and are too small to move out of the way. In one of these pruning sessions i ended up manhandling a bud a bit and the next day the pistils where brownish in colour and seem to have coiled a bit. It shows in the pictures, what do you think?

fotografia_2.JPG

This next one shows the bud, it's the smallest of the three in the middle.

fotografia_3.JPG

Same shot, focus on the bigger buds

fotografia_4.JPG

Top cola

fotografia_5.JPG

Just a very cheap way to lower PH is use a Lemon. Make sure no pulp gets in water but it will lower PH

Thanks CO Finest, for now i have a powdered pH down that came with my nutes, when that runs out i'll look into using my organic lemons.

I have a big update, i saw the thrichomes forming on the buds and i knew i couldn't wait any longer to move her, the new digs had been coming along nicely and a final push made everything ready for her.

photo_1_14_3.JPG

photo_2_14_3.JPG

photo_4_2_11.JPG

photo_3_5_2.JPG

I didn't want to risk ruining the buds during transport so i made her a chicken wire cage covered in a black plastic bag to keep any nosy neighbors away. After that we just glided through the 70 mile journey home. I made mimosas to celebrate.

photo_1_14_4.JPG

photo_2_14_4.JPG

Not only did i have a new home, i also had a pack of GHE Flora series nutes to give her so i set her up and gave her pH'd water to recover, 3 days later i gave her a half dose and the next day she was already looking amazing.
Trimmed her as the diferent light orientation meant there was alot of shade on the buds, it wasa a bit of a massacre, but i tried to leave as mutch on as possible without compromising the buds.

photo_3_5_3.JPG

photo_5145.JPG

My homemade carbon filters although helping alot are still insuficient for the level of stealth i'm aiming at. For now i'll have to use an ONA block (in the airbox, so it doesn't come in contact with the plant), but i'm hoping more suited genetics will help mitigate this problem.

Long story short she's under about 250w of CFL light in a mixed spectrum, i'll replace a couple of bulbs soon for stronger ones. My ventilation solution proved to be overkill so most of the time half the system is shut off. That will at least give me some space to wiggle a better filter in there, possibly store bought.

And sorry for the orientation, that's the last time, finally i got a camera! And yes! that IS a giraffe chair and no, you can't have it. I built the closet around a 5 gal bubbler so i had to bring the plant up to the intake fan.

Another cheap filter way is to get some fish tank water filters. they come in a box or 6 or so They are filled with carbon inside witch will filter the air if you make a intake with them inline. at the fish store you can get a milk carton full of carbon rocks cheap and add to air filters untill they are full. Your grow looks great man. Good luck. I hope to see more of your grow.

Another cheap filter way is to get some fish tank water filters. they come in a box or 6 or so They are filled with carbon inside witch will filter the air if you make a intake with them inline. at the fish store you can get a milk carton full of carbon rocks cheap and add to air filters untill they are full. Your grow looks great man. Good luck. I hope to see more of your grow.

You see those cilinders in the airbox? that's precisely what's inside them, aquarium filter carbon :)

Quick update, she now has brown hairs on all the buds, even the ones that are in the shade. Gave her a big flush and it's just water from now on.

Also got me one of those cheap 45x magnifiers so i'm ready to detect the perfect time to harvest, hopefully she will be ready in about 2 weeks.

Pics to come later, but as far as the camera can pick up, they(buds) look about the same.

The anticipation just eats you up inside, doesn't it? Good thing i still know a few past and current small growers, every single one of them listed anticipation as the most commom cause for weak and poor tasting bud most people associate with an amateur grow.

As master Yoda always said... "pacience you must have, my young padawan."

CO Finest, used your lemon trick to pH the water for the flush, worked like a charm! A hat tip to you, good Sir, Kudos!

Update time! now with a new and improved camera!

These past 2 days more and more pistils are turning brown. So far so good... time to start looking at the trichomes for colour, i'm aiming for 30-30-30 (clear-white-amber), but i'll take a deeper look into that these next few days. Any sugestions are most apreciated.

Soil is plenty moist after 2 days, temperature is about 24º and humidity between 45% and 60%. Not bad considering the humidity outside of the closet is about 85%(90% plus during the night) me and my girl joke that just 10% more humidity and we would have rainclouds in the house. Cheap disposable dehumidifier really holding it's own.

Also a question, if i snip the tip off a bud leaf (with trichomes on it) to put under the microscope (easier than putting it against the bud) do i get a good representation of the overall state of the bud?

As always, many thanks for reading and here are some pics!

P1190790.JPG

P1190791.JPG
P1190793.JPG

Heya, Shin :ciao:

I would check the trichomes on a bud, too. I've read that the trichs can be more advanced (more cloudy/amber) on a bud than a leaf.

It's so wonderful seeing this plant so close to harvest. I remember the beginning when you didn't expect anything at all!

You've done a great job with her :high-five:

Have some reps ;)

congrats yo!
I got in reading late in your journal but your plant made it all the way to the finish line!
hope to see some tastyness when you are done curing that badgirl!
again great job with adopting the homeless plants and taking it to the finish line, your first grow came out amazing!
cheers buddy!
:420:
:party:

Thanks Mindcontrol, but i have to share this one with the users on the forum, they where a real help. Not only experience-wise but also motivation-wise. Dresney and Sweetleaf are at the very forefront of that :thanks:

She is almost finished, i'm gonna try and hold off the harvest till wednesday but she is at about 15% amber, quite close to my goal.

I took some pics 3 days ago that i will post, i took some today but they didnt get a good focus.
Notice how the bottom fan leaves are yellowing and drying up! the flush is doing its job! Gave her final watering today.

P1190827.JPG

P1190821.JPG

P1190820.JPG

P1190818.JPG

P1190816.JPG

P1190793.JPG

Happy growing y'all!

Big huge update! i made it all the way to the harvest!

I did a little something special for you guys picture wise.

I decided yesterday she was as good as she was going to get so i picked up my many scisors and got to it, managed to cut most buds with the little branch for hanging and although i messed up a couple of times things went pretty smoothly.

I'm not going to drag on, let the images speak for themselves, enjoy! i know i have!

P1190850.JPG

P1190851.JPG

P1190852.JPG

P1190853.JPG

P1190854.JPG

P1190855.JPG

P1190858.JPG

P1190859.JPG

P1190860.JPG

P1190863.JPG

Separated the higher quality trim to quick-dry, separated a couple of popcorn buds to just dry and the rest is going to dry and cure.

I'll write some more about anything you want to know later, right now i'm floating on trim! :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom