Orphan Rescue - 1st Grow - Ghettoest Of The Ghetto

Re: Orphan rescue/1stGrow/Ghettoest of the ghetto

I run a 6" exhaust fan in a canvas grow tent, and I have a small table fan deploying a gentle breeze on the ladies. The inline fan cycles with the lights. The humidity get's into the low 50's during lights out and hovers in the mid 30's during lights on. But the table fan is 24/7 it so far it's doing a great job keeping the ladies dry, I'm sure when they get bigger I'll need to exhaust during lights out, but for now it's working in my situation. I fall asleep to the sound of rushing air, and when it turns itself back on, I have the best alarm in the world. "CLICK WOOOOOOOOSSSSSHHHHH" and I get excited because I can say hello to the Goils! :goof:

I second (or third or fourth) the dark period thing. I notice farm more growth in my ladies during the dark period than I do in the day. And it is only one quarter as long! Especially if I water them just before.

xx

Update time! 4th day of 12/12, gave them 1/4 strength nutes (6-3-6) in 6.8pH water, plant 2 had a growth spurt during the weekend and is growing by the hour. However plant 1 continues to dwindle, i think it might be a total loss.

I scavanged far and wide for (free)2700k lamps and came up with 2 20w bulbs and a few 15w ones (only pluged one in, (i'm out of sockets)

So at the moment i have 2x45w 6500k
2x20w 2700k
1x15w 2700k

That's 90w of 6500k spectrum and 55w of 2700k. I have the option of removing a 6500k bulb for a 2700 but i would be losing 30w of light for each one, is it worth it? or should i leave things as they are?

Pics!

photo_1_9_1.JPG

photo_2_8_1.JPG

I'd leave the lights the way they are. You want cooler spectrum bulbs (towards 6500K) for vegetative growth and warmer bulbs for flowering (2700K). Although having one or two 2700K bulbs isn't a bad idea for vegetative growth, as they promote root growth, but you want more cool bulbs than warm for vegging. So maybe 3:1 cool to warm and then the opposite for flowering. I wouldn't sacrifice your 45 watt bulb though for a smaller 2700K though.

My plants vegged with only 6500K bulbs for probably 5-6 weeks before I added an 18 watt 2700K.

Did you check the pH of your run-off? Something is still off. Do you have easy access to perlite or vermiculite?

Hey Dres, i don't know if you realised i am pushing flowering already with 12/12 lights, I really didn't want to, but time constraints are forcing my hand. With the new grow setup in the late planning stages, i have to rush these and learn as much as possible before i have to cut them. Tomorrow is watering day, i'll keep the 1/4 strength nutes and measure runoff (forgot last time).

Mini-update: Plant 1 has had alot of new growth in the past few hours (is it silly to talk about growth in hours?). Maybe a positive reaction to the nutes?

Pots felt pretty light so i decided to water now before lights out. Added 1/4 strength nutes (6-3-6). Tap water was coming out with 8.0 pH so i used distilled water (7.0pH). Runoff was 7.1pH.

Seing as plant 1 gets slightly more light in its position, i decided to switch them. If plant 2 continues to thrive i will have done the right thing giving the stronger plant better chances. If the plant starts to wither i will know something is up with the lights. Either way a lesson learned.

Lookin' good Shin!

Not sure if you should change or not. I think Desney's ratio is sound, with CFL's it's more about lumens than watts anyway. How can you get the most lumens onto your plant, in the correct spectrum (temperature) for the growth stage you are in. I'd be able to give you a better answer if I didn't have to go to work soon.

Hey Dres, i don't know if you realised i am pushing flowering already with 12/12 lights

Ah, yeah, I missed that. You have those bulbs and 4 sockets to fit, right?

I'd probably do the two 45 watt 6500s and 2 20 watt 2700s, but I'd stagger them so there is one of each on each side.

Unfortunately, I don't think they'll be ready by the end of January even with the early flip. A plant that isn't sexually mature won't begin flowering for at least a couple weeks after 12/12 is introduced. It'll still be fun to watch the process though and see how far they get by then. :)

Update time!

The last couple of days have been pretty encouraging, i'm seeing alot of growth with no clear signs of any deficiencies.
Watered them yesterday, felt confident enough to raise the nutes to 1/2 strength (water pH 6.6, runoff 6.2) and in return i was given the gift of growth. I'm sooooo happy right now, and alot of that is thanks to all of you!

Let the record show this is day 31 of growing.

Pics!

photo_1_11_.JPG

photo_2_10_1.JPG

That is really encouraging growth! Good work!

Don't worry too much about gender yet, just give them love :)

xx

Thank you all for your suport, it really means alot!

After this growth spurt there is no way i'm not taking this thing all the way to the end. I got to thinking late last night and i'm pretty sure i can fit a clone nursery in my new closet (arriving next week, there will be pics!). So when i start my new grow, the flowering area won't be needed for a few weeks and i can use it to see my ladies blooom.

That being said, i plan on getting everything i need by the end of the year, work everything out in early january. Plenty of time
to meet my end of january deadline (i have to move and i had nowhere to put the plants). That means these little ladies are going to have to make due with what they have, no bigger pots, no better nutes, no nothing... every spendable penny i have is going toward the new grow.

I am bursting with anticipation, want to start ordering stuff and opening boxes, but i must wait for the closet to arrive first in case i need to make some last minute ajustment to my setup on account of some detail i didn't notice (hey, better safe than sorry!).

Pics!

photo_2_11_.JPG

photo_1_12_1.JPG

Friends, i need to make a decision about my grow closet, i can choose between a pair/trio of 70 CFM, 19dB fans or i can get a pair/trio of 110 CFM, 47 dB fans, both 120mm. Keep in mind my biggest concert with this build is stealth, both sound-wise as well as smell-wise. I'm running a dimmer through the fans so i can always reduce power on the fans, but what should i get? I will be flowering one northern lights plant at a time and plan on running a carbon scrubber connected to the exaust.

Big thanks for reading, happy smoking!

Been out of town without my PC, so here comes the big update.

Left my girls on the 20th with a watering and 1/2 strength nutes, pH 6.8. I toped one of the plants to see the diference.

Went back on the 25th to give them a watering and fresh nutes, again, 1/2 strength.

This is what they looked like

photo_2_14_2.JPG

photo_1_14_2.JPG

I had big dreams of bud with plant #1, the one i didn't top. #2 slowed down growth as expected.

1st of january i had a buddy of mine come over and feed my plants, i left him a 1/2 strength solution to use.
He sent me these.

photo_5_1_3.JPG

photo_1_13_1.JPG

I arrived today to find that #1 was a male after all, the sacks where now fully developed and he was brimming with polen.

photo_3_4_4.JPG

Plant #2 turned out female (pistils!) but even though she sat between the fan and the male, i figure she's pollinated...

photo_4_2_10.JPG

photo_5134.JPG

I'm going to continue to feed my remaining plant and see...

Aw, bummer about the male. He is really covered with sacs. Do you see any of them open?

I guess the worse thing that can happen is that you get some seeds to play around with for next time.

Hopefully you get a little bud still though. :)

Glad to see you again, Shin. Hope your new year is great so far apart from the sneaky male.

Oh man Shin,

What a bummer! I was fortunate enough to catch it early enough, at least I think/hope, But I just had to chop my first plant. Turned out to be a male. That does look like a shit ton of balls.... But you have at least a small chance your girl didn't get knocked up. And if she did, Dresney is right, you should get at least a little bud and you also will not have to buy seeds for a while. I am very sorry for your loss, my friend.

Back
Top Bottom