2nd Grow - SIP, KS5000, Banana Tropicanna & Orange Hill Special Photos

Tentative times right now, I'm following the increased nitrogen regime that Shed very kindly laid out for me and I'm not so patiently waiting/hoping to see some turn around in the next few days, not been so active in my thread here or with anyone elses project sorry as I instead seek emergency plant care in the Pest & Problems subforum but here's a little update on how things are going.

I hope everyone has had a great week and has a lovely weekend <3

Day 19:
tropban_flash_day18_1.jpg
tropban_flash_day18_2.jpg
tropban_flash_day18_3.jpg
tropban_flash_day18_4.jpg
tropban_led_day18_1.jpg
tropban_led_day18_2.jpg
tropban_led_day18_3.jpg
tropban_led_day18_4.jpg
tropban_led_day18_5.jpg

Lovely to see the blooms starting. You're in good hands Weff.
Thanks @Carmen Ray - I'll be sure to catch up with your journal as soon as I get chance. I'm thinking harvest must not be far away for you now? :D

Thanks @Carmen Ray - I'll be sure to catch up with your journal as soon as I get chance. I'm thinking harvest must not be far away for you now? :D
I think there may be a harvest on Sunday! The other one still has a couple of weeks left :) Thanks Weff.

Starting to see a decent amount of trich forming already, closely monitoring the N defiency issue, I have tagged a leaf to monitor but feeling positive about turning it around thanks to the wonderful help from InTheShed <3

I'm planning to lollipop/big defol asap but I don't want too before we are under control, tomorrow is day 21 and I'll probably remove the lower bud sites that are far below the canopy, anything above canopy or at canopy height will stay as will the fan leaves for now.

Day 20 update:
Tagged leaf:
taggedhealthyleaf.jpg

tropban_flash_day20_2.jpg
tropban_flash_day20_3.jpg
tropban_flash_day20_8.jpg
tropban_led_day20_5.jpg
tropban_led_day20_6.jpg
tropban_led_day20_7.jpg

Looking good!

Seems under control?

Nick
Not yet but hopefully getting there, there is small calcium def spots on the top of the canopy (Hard to see with so many leaves, it's only on a few).

I also removed dead leaves this morning so that kinda gives a false impression, but it's so I can have a clearer picture of the issue tomorrow.

Plant before removing leaves:
tropban_led_day20_1.jpg
tropban_led_day20_3.jpg

First time I've seen her actually happy to exist, making prayers to the sky. I'm gonna remove lower budsites before lights off today!

I guess this is something I've overlooked as previously through the pictures she's never really been praying all that hard. I wonder exactly why that is. I haven't been adding silica to the mix since the problems appeared, the T.A website states it should be added to the nutrient mix and doesn't state anything about premixing it with water but perhaps that was one of the reasons...

The other thing is ph'd/EC'd nutes, I've only been doing well for the past few weeks so maybe with those not exactly dialled in it was causing issues and stopping her drinking properly?

Not sure, something I need to figure out I guess on the next run definitely.

I am doing 4 10 litre SIPs for the next run but because Tropicana Banana has a 74 day flowering period I'm still waiting another two weeks or more before starting the next cycle, anyway I won't get ahead of myself... :rofl:

Day 21:
tropban_day21_1.jpg
tropban_day21_5.jpg
tropban_day21_4.jpg

Tagged leaf:
tropban_day21_3.jpg

As InTheShed once said to me. excellent moisture gradient!. Has anything about your watering / sipping changed that would have led to this? Curious.

As InTheShed once said to me. excellent moisture gradient!. Has anything about your watering / sipping changed that would have led to this? Curious.
Sorry @Carmen Ray, I do apologise for my rudeness!

It's a busy time irl and I'm also still stressing about this girl making it okay, but it looks like she will :D Hopefully I can stop hassling Shed and all the other helpful members soon and return to the sanctuary of the grow journals subforum :rofl:

The thing that has changed is I'm not mixing Silica into the nutrients at all now, I have been told it's best to do it with plain water and mix that in so it doesn't bind to the nutrients preventing them from being taken by the plant.

Annoyingly the manufacturers website just says mix with nutrient mix and nothing about plain water. Other than that not much has changed, apart from also upping Nitrogen again - Could simply be the plant needed the right nutrients to look happy with drinking?

I'm clueless, I'm gonna closely monitor the praying of the leaves more on future grows for certain!

Quick update while I'm here!
Day 23:
tropban_day23_1.jpg
tropban_day23_2.jpg
tropban_day23_3.jpg
tropban_day23_4.jpg
tropban_day23_5.jpg

Sorry @Carmen Ray, I do apologise for my rudeness!

It's a busy time irl and I'm also still stressing about this girl making it okay, but it looks like she will :D Hopefully I can stop hassling Shed and all the other helpful members soon and return to the sanctuary of the grow journals subforum :rofl:

The thing that has changed is I'm not mixing Silica into the nutrients at all now, I have been told it's best to do it with plain water and mix that in so it doesn't bind to the nutrients preventing them from being taken by the plant.

Annoyingly the manufacturers website just says mix with nutrient mix and nothing about plain water. Other than that not much has changed, apart from also upping Nitrogen again - Could simply be the plant needed the right nutrients to look happy with drinking?

I'm clueless, I'm gonna closely monitor the praying of the leaves more on future grows for certain!

Quick update while I'm here!
Day 23:
tropban_day23_1.jpg
tropban_day23_2.jpg
tropban_day23_3.jpg
tropban_day23_4.jpg
tropban_day23_5.jpg
This plant is looking absolutely awesome. I am still curious though. I don't remember how you started this seedling and when the transition to the SIP occurred. I am wondering if the transition period was responsible for watering being less than optimal and that now she has found her feet she is sipping the right amount of water to maintain that gorgeous moisture gradient and produce bud? Sorry to bang on. It is my curiosity driving me with this one due to comparative results in sub-irrigation methodology.

This plant is looking absolutely awesome. I am still curious though. I don't remember how you started this seedling and when the transition to the SIP occurred. I am wondering if the transition period was responsible for watering being less than optimal and that now she has found her feet she is sipping the right amount of water to maintain that gorgeous moisture gradient and produce bud? Sorry to bang on. It is my curiosity driving me with this one due to comparative results in sub-irrigation methodology.
Thanks Carmen, yeah she's definitely getting there now :D

Don't apologise for being curious! So I actually started this seed direct in the final container, with the SIP half full and the soil premoistened, then waiting until empty before refilling the res just to half for the first few weeks. I had no transition or stalls or anything like that. I've nothing to compare it too other than my first grow with the autos but I seemed to have strong and steady growth throughout veg, just without much praying of the leaves.

All my roots are most certainly the thin feeder type roots that are common with SIPs, the plant has never ever been top watered and so the moisture gradient has always remained consistent. The plant has also been drinking a full res daily for quite a while now, even in veg. So I would think it's definitely an issue with uptake of the nutrients or nutrient inbalance that has caused any issues vs the roots or anything like that.

As a complete novice it's hard to isolate the key factor but it could also be a combination of things, I've increased temps significantly, removed Silica from the feeding schedule completely (I will add it back but for now I wanted to keep it simple) and adjusted the nutrients based on Shed's calculations which primarily addressed a lack of nitrogen.

Since then she's looked way happier, next run I'll make sure to add Silica first with water and run the veg tent about 4c hotter than I did this time and see if I have more praying leaves in veg I guess :D I'll also not be cutting Nitrogen in flower like I did this time!

Sorry big ass answer there lol :rofl:

Weird how the change of timing when silica goes in can do that! Good you caught it!
Yeah definitely mate, not 100% sure that was the sole issue but it helps to eliminate the possibility for next run at least :D Full credit to @InTheShed and all the other legends here who offered solutions :green_heart: 🙏

I would say lack of nitrogen, here are my TB plants
Need to give her a good late grow feed before going into flower

I would say lack of nitrogen, here are my TB plants
Need to give her a good late grow feed before going into flower
Thanks @Joe Brewster - Your bang on with your assessment and I've been feeding an increased N regime for the last 9-10 days now.

I did however use grow nutes all through week 1 of flower before switching to bloom nutes to try and avoid any issues like this, clearly it didn't pay off :rofl:

Day 24 update:
tropban_day24_1.jpg
tropban_day24_2.jpg
tropban_day24_3.jpg
tropban_day24_4.jpg
tropban_day24_6.jpg
tropban_day24_7.jpg
tropban_day24_8.jpg
tropban_day24_9.jpg
tropban_day24_10.jpg
tropban_day24_11.jpg

Back