420 Magazine’s Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By DonkeyDick

Hi there 420ians. We are at the top of a new page in the donkey diary. Change is afoot. I have taken cuttings from three of my five GSCs.

Let me show you how I do it.

We marked this special occasion by starting off with a new, sterile blade.

It is best practice to use a new blade for each plant you go to. It is good practice anyway to wipe a blunt blade with alcohol between plants. ;)

In this case I took each of the lowest four branches.

I will strip each branch like this then stand it in water with its friends until the next step.

I only want two, maybe three small leaves to stay on. While a leaf gives a cutting some photosynthetic ability/energy it also costs the stalk moisture in transpiration. It’s all about balance.

I remove leaves entirely. This gives the cutting only one wound to heal at each leaf site. It is a common enough practice to cut fingers of a leaf back. When you think about the rationale behind that it doesn’t make sense. You give each leaf five wound sites instead of one.

(I know a hundred ways to kill cuttings and clones. I recommend this method as a low-fuss, high return process).

The longer cuttings had their lowest couple of inches taken off. I prepare the soon-to-be-buried end by gently scraping the stalk of its outer layer for the lowest inch or so.

Cutting the end to an angle increases the surface area of the tip for metabolic processes. This part happens quite fast. You have to cover that tip in a cloning gel before anything else can happen.

I prefer to use a syringe to apply the gel rather than dunking tips into the bottle. This helps to keep the gel in the bottle sterile and useful.

Cups were prepped a few days ago with dynomyco and Earth Alive inoculants. I make a vertical hole for each cutting using a nail or a piece of the training wire I use for LST.

When all the cuttings are in place the cup can be gently squeezed to ensure each cutting is nestled nicely and any void spaces have been excluded. I’ve learned not to pack the soil in tightly as too much outside pressure is enough to stop the internal hydraulics at this sensitive stage.

The cups sit on the heat pad in the nursery under a 40W LED on 18/6 and their domes will be sprayed twice a day.

I only need roots on one or two for this to be successful. It’s almost guaranteed.

To make a symmetrical canopy with six not four branches to start, you can see a slight anticlockwise placement with the lower two pairs of branches. A little gentle, discretionary stem crushing on the curves helps branches to stay where they are put.

That’s all from the Stable for now. Today is feeding day so all the Girl Scout Cookies get another top dressing. That will keep them looking fine and me happy.

I hope you’re well everyone. Thanks for reading.

Love the tutorial brother I only used aloe for cloning for years works killer should give it a shot see how it works for ya !!

Very nice Mr D! Man I wish I could be that thorough! My clones get a chop, dip, and a stern talking to before they get unceremoniously shoved into something. "Now get to work!". Sometimes it's like a horror movie after that. CHeers bro, thank you for sharing your knowledge and support! :yahoo:

Love the tutorial brother I only used aloe for cloning for years works killer should give it a shot see how it works for ya !!
I concur! I have used aloe as well and it works great. Another thing for people to try is to make a fresh aloe gel water (whole aloe leaves and water put in a blender then sieved) if you are doing lots of cuttings (not just cannabis). When you get your initial cuttings, prepare them with your angle cuts or scraping and dunk them into the aloe gel water. I let them sit in there for a while until I'm ready to put them in their individual containers. No extra gel needed although extra aloe NEVER hurts!

Great tutorial DD! I never considered using a small syringe to pull out cloning gel. Great idea to keep it clean! * head slap *

Thanks for the tutorial DD!
:cool:

As you know this is a combination of ideas gleaned from the one and only :420: The multicup idea comes via you (thanks) from, I understand, your reading elsewhere on the Mag. Gotta love 420 Magazine.

I have been meaning to get some aloe going. Thanks for the reminder! I’ve heard about its usefulness. I aim to get some going before my current jar of gel runs out.

Very nice Mr D! Man I wish I could be that thorough! My clones get a chop, dip, and a stern talking to before they get unceremoniously shoved into something. "Now get to work!". Sometimes it's like a horror movie after that. CHeers bro, thank you for sharing your knowledge and support! :yahoo:

You remind me of something I read a couple of years ago. ChrisScorpio (couldn’t find his @. He hasn’t been around for a while) wrote a throwaway that stuck with me. I don’t quite remember it, but it’s along the lines that clones will look dead, smell dead, be dead until they up and eat your cat!

Good to see you and thanks for reminding me to play my PBass. Not now, it’ll be 4:20am soon. Later though :high-five: for sure.

Great tutorial DD! I never considered using a small syringe to pull out cloning gel. Great idea to keep it clean! * head slap *

It’s funny isn’t it? A lot of things we do with good intentions, but frustrations too. It’s only when things don’t go as expected that we have to break things down into simple steps and look at every decision you make and why. Headaches!
That’s why I did that montage. I hope it helps someone who needs it.

I relied utterly on clones when I got my garden started. I still depend heavily on cloning. I needed to work out a way to get it done without it doing my head in too. We like easy.

The multicup idea comes via you (thanks) from, I understand, your reading elsewhere on the Mag. Gotta love 420 Magazine.
I find loads of stuff here, but I think the multiple-cuttings-one-cup thing was my desperate attempt to make sure I had something that would survive my attempt. I failed for many months at cloning, and once I figured it out, the psychological damage was ingrained. ;)

The splitting method is just doing what needs to be done. :high-five:
ChrisScorpio (couldn’t find his @. He hasn’t been around for a while)
He's on the gram if you ever need him!
We like easy.
We do!

Pbass…DonkeyDick on track…smile on my face seeing you show up here in these comparative grows. Cheers

Hello everyone. Just trotting through 420 HQ with an update on the only news from the Stable this week.

This really is the simplest grow ever. I love not having to mix liquid nutrients. This grow is on cruise control. Apart from water this week the news is I flipped our first on Friday.

:yahoo:
Bring on the meds!

We now have our full complement of sponsors in this garden with the arrival of @Mars Hydro :welcome:

And here she is, the first of five. Eighteen inches tall.

Happy weekend everyone.
:peace:

Congrats on the flip! It's a beauty DD, and looks like perfect timing. Do the fading lowers portend any storms ahead?

Forecasts are for more bright, crisp winter days. She has perked up immensely since she went under the Martian sun. I expect more plain plain sailing with her. Her next feed will see her bumped from veg to bloom nutes next weekend.

The most fuss she’ll get until then is water and a 90 degree twist of her pot every day.

Cheers.

How is the batch of cookies coming along DD?
Thanks for asking, Reggie. The cookies are kicking! Energy in the Stable has been low, so I apologise for the lack of news. The fact is you’ve missed nothing. We’re dead in the middle of a freezing winter and the garden has slowed a little with it.

Things are about to boost.
The one I flipped to 12/12 a couple of weeks ago is about to start flowering.
The two larger veggers just got transplanted to their final pots today.
The other two I’ve been holding back in veg will get up canned shortly.

I’ll be back with a few photos to get caught up here as soon as I have them uploaded.

Back in a sec.

Day 96 update

Hi there 420ians.

Plants in a minute. I just want to start with some observations my wife @Sugarleaf made the other day.

We were comparing our power bills to this time last year. It is the dead of winter, like I said, but our power bills are half what they were.

This is entirely down to the LED from @Mars Hydro
:thanks:

Thanks to this terrific lighting rig we have gone LED throughout the garden now and switched off our HPS.

@Sugarleaf tells me we couldn’t have carried on. Thanks again @420

I was happy to see this starting up the other day.

And here is Girl Scout Cookie number one almost at budset.

Any day now.

This is our GSC #2 after transplant today. She’s in a 20 litre pot now for the duration.

And here are her sisters. The two on the left get new pots soon don’t worry

Thanks for looking in. I hope your gardens are verdant and very dank.

:peace: :love:

Hello there 420ians.
My apologies for unintentionally sporadic bursts here. Health situations have been keeping the donkey on the down low. Thanks for your understanding.
The good news is that our healthy little garden of Girl Scout Cookies is thriving. We have the first two of five in the flower room now. The last three in veg are boosting.
It’s top-dress day tomorrow but apart from the fortnightly feeds it has been water all the way and the easiest gardening ever.
You really haven’t missed anything here.

Days are from flipping the light cycle to 12/12 not from the start of flower.

Cheers folks
:snowboating:

Back
Top Bottom