A Lotta Ins, A Lotta Outs, A Lotta Strands In The Old Duder's Head: Urban Grows Mad Stanky Dabs

Hay UA Great video, Now I understand the process a little better. When I harvest maybe I can go over to Derbybuds place and have him show me how to do it. I have some Cob that a friend just turned me onto. I am chewing some right now. We will see what this ride is all about

I noticed you are having some more tonight. How was your first experience?

Playing around with my new midi keyboard in Logic Pro. Game changer for my music creation already. I can see myself creating entirely new custom intros and melodies. Insane. Blows my mind. Feels like I am cheating. Really.

I am also enjoying myself tonight.. Pink Kush THC tablet, bowls of MxS, CB Dream, and whatever is leftover from the cob taste test earlier.

I was having a great day. Wanted my better half to get home and enjoy it. So I picked her up some sativa THC tablets, bubble bath, and planned to make her dinner.

Not quite what I wanted, but the bakery was out of fresh pizza crusts, and I used what was available.

A little trick I learned from a pizza place in BC. Put some cornmeal under the crust.
View media item 1746425
View media item 1746426
Half salami and tomato, half ham and pineapple, yes that's right. I put fruit on my pizza. Better put some respect on my pizza.
View media item 1746427

...hope your hungry now lol

Playing around with my new midi keyboard in Logic Pro. Game changer for my music creation already. I can see myself creating entirely new custom intros and melodies. Insane. Blows my mind. Feels like I am cheating. Really.

I am also enjoying myself tonight.. Pink Kush THC tablet, bowls of MxS, CB Dream, and whatever is leftover from the cob taste test earlier.

I was having a great day. Wanted my better half to get home and enjoy it. So I picked her up some sativa THC tablets, bubble bath, and planned to make her dinner.

Not quite what I wanted, but the bakery was out of fresh pizza crusts, and I used what was available.

A little trick I learned from a pizza place in BC. Put some cornmeal under the crust.
View media item 1746425
View media item 1746426
Half salami and tomato, half ham and pineapple, yes that's right. I put fruit on my pizza. Better put some respect on my pizza.
View media item 1746427

yum!

View media item 1746425
View media item 1746426
View media item 1746427

Now I have to go find something to eat after seeing that pizza. Looks so good.

I want to make cobs ......:hmmmm: :rofl::thanks:
lol you wouldn't regret it.

So sidebar, now that I am good an lubricated mentally.

I have been wanting to do something for years. I want to see more Weird Al hip hop tunes. Even if I have to be that guy.
A few years back, me and the famjam were rolling in my '15, listing to some Ludacris. Roll Up.

Classic.

Things happened fast but within 30 seconds I was changing the lyrics to "Fruit Roll Ups"
I think I was able to change a verse or two and throw in 4 or 5 flavours of fruit roll ups but it sparked an idea. To re-record, as best as possible, the new song with lyrics about fruit roll-ups, trading them at school, sneaking them at home, leaving little cellophane wrappers around...

yeah...you wanna make some cob.

edit...

I just thought of the lyric, 'I got more cheese than you got fleas' and I am too afraid to see if its been used. It has to be.

That sounds heckin enjoyable UA, I’m definitely going to have all the prep ready to cob out some of my coming harvest. Always down to try this great medicine in new, unique ways :D

anyways goodnight UA:Rasta:
Thanks bud! I sent some tall grain wheat seed with your decals.

A bit of prep, a bit of bravery, and it's easy.

You have a good night.

I thought I would try and do this without eating or smoking cob, sans cannabis. Edit* (*the edits are all cannabis. ) I want to pretend I have important things to do today. Imagine me carrying a briefcase to this post. We are business casual. I hope you brought lunch. This could go over the allotted time.

Over the last few years, many have given me advice, and much of it has landed. Some just got tucked away for later. I seem all over the map, but I have a partially scientifically approach to my grows. I try not to change 200 things at once. One at time until I figure out WTF is going on. So adjustments to my situation have been incremental to avoid confusing reality.

Living Organic Soil, Grow Pots, and Watering
To be honest I have been kind of afraid of this post. There is a lotta ins and outs with my soil. It has been a 2 year or more adventure that deserves its own post. But it will more than likely be lengthy. It took a LOT of work and a lot of people to get where I am today with my soil.

Just a note. I have a love hate relationship with my soil so bear with my passive aggressive chirping at the dirt pile.

Choosing a medium
I obsessed over my first grow for month before deciding on a route to take. Hempy, DWC, Super Soil, NFT, etc. I settled on living organic soil because of its tendency to produce quality cannabis. I have said this from day 1, yield is not my focus, flavour and photography are. The organic soils are known to produce beautiful fading and colours during flower. Additionally, I like the idea of being able to source ingredients and amendments locally. Choose your medium carefully.

Note to those interested. It takes time. Space. Work.

For those new to my journals, I don't like working when its unnecessary. That said, I have never had a real pest problem, don't have to mix nutrients, or ph my water (generally). So the front end work has saved a lot of backend.

Ok. Once I settled on that, I found a recipe to follow, Clackamus Coots recipe. Fairly simple. I made it complicated.

Based off of Clackamas Coots basic soil mix, here is where I started:

3.8 cubic feet of pro mix (sphagnum/perlite), 60 litres worm castings (3 bags), about 2 cubic feet of perlite. To this, roughly 8 cubic feet of base mix I added: 4 cups neem meal, 4 cups kelp meal, 2 cups alfalfa meal, 2 cups diatomecious earth, 4 cups crab shell meal, and at least 24+ cups of my rock dust mix. Still probably gonna mix some black earth but overall its looking good. Added some water mixed for a long while and now its in 4 tubs for the next month or two.

My rock dust mix included: 15 pounds of glacial rock dust, 3 pounds volcanic basalt dust, 3.5 pounds local clay powdered, 4.4 pounds oyster shell powder, and 1 pound azomite (free).

I harvested some local clay. Dug it up, broke it up, oven dried, used a grater for some and a rock/concrete to grind the rest. In hindsight...I could have just added some water and made a mush. Grating it was backbreaking. But local clay, amirite?

This was allowed to cook together for a few months before I threw the first seedlings in.

So yeah that was the start of the journey. I managed to get through a crop or two. I wasn't happy with the mix yet. So I continued to try and build up the soil food web. I tried integrating various textures and materials to build up the housing and food environment for the little bastages.

PH the soil because I was so new and paranoid.

My first grow was so clean. Nice sticky traps. In hindsight, a solid effort.

The first round I didn't use smaller pots. I noticed some delay in growth and the watering was harder for a rookie. I made some mistakes there. But I learned over time that incremental increases in pot sizes aid in good root growth, particularly in this soil.

I have to say I love the fabric pots. I had really good crops using those. I liked the ease of use, air pruning of roots, and simplicity of clean up. The one major pain the ass is the repotting. Now they make them with Velcro on the side to open it up. I did not benefit from such technology. I instead do what creative people do. Got creative? No, smoked a J and went to work.

I found the small 1 gallon geopots can be folded down over a 1 gallon of paint. Super easy. Done and done.

I recognize these are upside down. But you get the idea. I wanted to try using these big 32 gallon totes. To get bigger roots and bigger plants. More yield. Etc. In these images you can see some shredded paper added to the soil because I thought the Nitrogen was too high...and the addition of paper and wood shavings would help tie some of that up.

Don't ask me where some of these hair brained ideas come from. If it works, you can suspect it was a 420 mag member. If it was a bit of a train wreck...chances are it was just me being stupid, or high, or both.

I put all organic material into my soil bins. Put the food back or its just another thing I have to replace. Over the last two years I have also added a bunch of horsetail fern, a brick of coco coir, charcoal, biochar, wood chips, various grow rocks, and anything else I thought would add life, food, environment, or aeration

This is something my brain said was a good idea. It may or may not have. But I found some brown cubical rot, and I know that its mostly broken down wood fibre, so I grabbed around 5 gallons to break down and put in the soil. It was mid winter and held some moisture. But it broke down very well.

View media item 1628582
View media item 1628645
View media item 1628646
This was an earthworm Jim joke that either missed or was not funny.
View media item 1628647
View media item 1627935
Off and on I throw vegetable food waste into my soil bins. Feed the soil organisms.
View media item 1628683
View media item 1629631

I really got some good results using the large 32 gallon bins. A lot of life was going on. Throughout this process I was visiting other soil/organic/super soil growers. Picking up things here and there. I have a separate post for amendments that many of these folks also assisted in. @bobrown14 @dr.h00k @Van Stank among others.

sidebar
There were way more people than this interacting in the soil discussion and I cant remember or list them all, but this is how it works in journals, find a thread and follow it. Here are some threads to follow if organic soil is an idea you want to entertain.

- when I need an answer to a soil question. thats where I went. Still do. Organic soil amendments, integrated pest management, and general soil knowledge. I still haven't implemented malted barley (shaaaaame). But seriously shows you what a living organic grow looks like. If that is something you are interested, head over there. Cottage 420 Organic Perpetual Bob grows some pretty ladies. If you are looking for something soil specific I recommend using the search function inside the thread or asking.
-dr.H00k was also an influence in the soil game Until he went and tried out the Docs High Bri system. I don't follow any of the brix journals but I can guarantee there are nice plants going on there. Hook Shitz Brix. Before that he was using an amended soil mix. Hook grows some beautiful plants.
-Van Stank has his own soil mix and has been pretty consistent in the results. Here Is the Stanks Go Perpetual in 2018 Just a fun journal to follow. I recommend reading a few of those.

These bins lacked drainage and my watering technique wasn't very good. Thats when I came across @Emilya and her How to Water a Plant Properly thread....that changed my garden quite a bit. I went and bought a 5 gal pressure mister and slow watered the bins. That made them happy happy. Emilya is also a serious organic gardener, next level, but I didn't meet her until well after I mucked my soil mix up. She has an entire catalogue of useful threads. Here is a small thread to get you started Growing Organic without breaking the bank.

I have to mention @SweetSue too as her journals, friends, and threads also aided in my soil development. Sue deserves her own post on all that she does for 420. A lotta strands in the Ol' Duder's head.

I still had some of my original clay. I felt like my plants weren't picking up available nutrients. So part of that equation is clay and its amazing surface area, which translates into surfaces for nutrients to attach to (chelate?). Anyway I took that clay, added some gypsum to help break it down. It all got thrown into the mix.
View media item 1644048
View media item 1644052
I really got things figured out with the smaller pots. Building up in size to near the final flower pot size.

This was the last time I had used the 32 gallon totes. As you can see the roots were quite present. Definitely lacked drainage. Emilya's water thread came in big here. It took me almost an hour some days but I slowly watered these big bins. If I had drilled a bunch holes for oxygen and draining water, these could have been monsters.
View media item 1746146
I added some local city compost (organic) and it has been a nice addition. I have 2 large garbage cans full of soil and a 32 gallon tote full. It gets mixed in the spring with amendments being added. This past spring it was the compost, the remainder of a bag of perlite, rock dusts, kelp meal, horsetail fern, and some neem meal.
View media item 1745325
So that is where we are. A bit of a mess, some success, some oops. But generally things are alright. I need to get my soil tested if I really want to figure out if I have issues with this soil or not.

If I had to do it over again. I would just copy Van Stanks recipe lol. His plants are always on point.

Whew! Well done UA. :thumb:

It’s a nice neighborhood with incredibly helpful neighbors. :cheesygrinsmiley: Those organic soil guys have my greatest respect for the way they shepherd members through the process. :circle-of-love:

You may have wound through a more varied path, but it looks like you’re catching on nicely. Tim’s portrait was a nice inclusion, kinda pulled at my heartstrings. :green_heart:

...thanks for the mention Urb... :Namaste: ...and for the record, my last grow was a combination "kit" and "my soil "effort...I don't think I'll ever abandon my own soil mix...it's just too damn intriguing, to keep tweaking, to read, research and apply, and hopefully improve the mix
...I gotta' admit, as a once a year grower, I like yield, but not at the expense of quality, and I think I'm pretty much there, in getting both with my efforts...my biggest yielder this past grow was in my mix, and is top shelf hybrid sativa...apart from a seed making effort in the spring, not sure what will happen in the grow shed...I really don't need to grow more...but how do Ya' stop!...;):rofl:...
...Yer' knocking it outta' the park with this journal Urb...:thumb:...my only criticism...pineapple on pizza...:eek:...;):rofl:...cheerz...:high-five:...h00k...:hookah:...

...thanks for the mention Urb... :Namaste: ...and for the record, my last grow was a combination "kit" and "my soil "effort...I don't think I'll ever abandon my own soil mix...it's just too damn intriguing, to keep tweaking, to read, research and apply, and hopefully improve the mix
...I gotta' admit, as a once a year grower, I like yield, but not at the expense of quality, and I think I'm pretty much there, in getting both with my efforts...my biggest yielder this past grow was in my mix, and is top shelf hybrid sativa...apart from a seed making effort in the spring, not sure what will happen in the grow shed...I really don't need to grow more...but how do Ya' stop!...;):rofl:...
...Yer' knocking it outta' the park with this journal Urb...:thumb:...my only criticism...pineapple on pizza...:eek:...;):rofl:...cheerz...:high-five:...h00k...:hookah:...

I knew your situation was too complex for me to summarize lol, glad you clarified for folks, its a lot to have an organic method set up...only to just drop it. Besides, it's been working quite well for you.

Thanks for the journal love. I suspect a friend or two are joining 420 magazine forum and I thought it would be helpful to point out some of the cool stuff going on at 420. Also a summary of what I have learned and the people that have helped me.

Great post UA. I need to get a batch of soil mixed and cooking for spring ASAP. This was a great reminder. Thank you
Thank you Sir! I guess it is almost that time. I might try and get rid of some of my soil. Preferably on a family farm, in big pots, with fine Stanky ladies filling them. Mine is a cautionary tale lol.

It would be good if I got some property. Created my own system of manure and compost, raised garden beds, etc. One of these days thats the plan.

Thank you Sir! I guess it is almost that time. I might try and get rid of some of my soil. Preferably on a family farm, in big pots, with fine Stanky ladies filling them. Mine is a cautionary tale lol.

It would be good if I got some property. Created my own system of manure and compost, raised garden beds, etc. One of these days thats the plan.
That’s my dream bro. I am relocating with my family to Tennessee or Kentucky in the near future and planning on getting a little land.
Hope you can Get those plants in some big pots this year.

The Big Lebowski
A cult classic movie by the Cohen brothers that has driven my entire 420 magazine forum existence, outside of cannabis lol. For anyone who has been lost in the sauce, I shall throw you a life raft, and get you a pair of shoes. We are going bowling. Everything in life can be solved by watching The Big Lebowski or going bowling.

Facts.

I was just laughing at that clip of "lotta ins, lotta outs". Then it reminded me of the Little Lebowski's Urban Achievers scene.
Then I thought. This is what I based my first journal on. This is why I chose my name. UrbanAchiever Its not some selfish urban man bunner who thinks he is accomplishing something fantastic. No.

G2HM once asked me about my name, this was my response.
Well its got a few meanings, but its mainly a reference to a movie, The Big Lebowski. A great film imho.
"They're not literally his children. They're the Little Lebowski Urban Achievers - inner city children of promise but without the necessary means for a - necessary means for a higher education. So Mr Lebowski is committed to sending all of them to college."

I wanted to adapt it to marijuana seeds lol. They are the little lebowski urban achievers-inner city seeds of promise but without the neccessary means for growing. So Mr Lebowski is committed to planting them all in living organic soil and growing them to maturity.

The movie has some incredible acting and dialogue. You have to watch this scene. It is the reference about which I speak. Phillip Seymour Hoffman creates an amazing character.

The Dude is at Mr Lebowski's residence, Hoffman is the butler, and the Dude is there to see him about his rug. Woo peed on it.
The real purpose and reason behind my username, is because I thought of all the little seeds being my responsibility, even if they come from all corners of the world. My inner city seeds of promise but without the necessary means for a higher education.

Moments from this movie has inspired 4 of my journals as well as my name. No that is not excessive. The Cohen brothers are very knowledgable in philosophy and religions. They wove together some beautiful characters with varying degrees of everything from zen, to nihilism, to pacifism. Not in nam of course.

In the end is about a Dude who smokes weed, drinks White Russians, enjoys baths, and bowls regularly. Someone peed on the Dudes rug. They had the wrong guy.

UrbanAchievers Inner City Seeds of Promise. Lots of folks from that journal are sadly not around. Either just moved on, or moved beyond. But, shoutout to @Derbybud for being one of the OG's lol
:passitleft:

I took a quick tour through the journal. Green Crack and Blue Dream. Not a great result. The first thin handful. But we did get a pretty shot out of it. They smelled and looked amazing. But like all of my sativa leaners, they are very wispy. This photo was taken with a light box (for photography) behind it. The excessive light and quick snap of the shutter darkens the buds to create the silouette. If I had a bigger Lightbox I could do some cool things.

I believe this photo earned me my photo of the month tag.

I also name another journal after The Big Lebowski.

Is This Your Homework Larry? Seedsman Skunk #1
Which quickly become Skunk 1 and others since a seedling died or something.

I think I actually hurt myself watching this scene the first go around or two. John Goodman. This was the inspiration for that journal. That is the Skunk #1, Crown Royale, and CB Dream crop. It ended around May 2019.

The Dude lost his briefcase when his car was stolen. He thinks there was a bunch of cash in the case, there isn't. He thinks the kid stole his car and took the money. he didn't. I could cry laughing right now thinking of it.

(please note, the kids dad, in an iron lung. behind him)

Teddy. Please. I hope there is no rule against this...

Got some beauty buds that round. Might have to do a short post on bud washing at some point. Just the results, not so much preaching one way or another.

Comedy, laughter, and levity are the greatest gifts we have to ensure humanity reigns. Quote me on that.

Also found another thread on how to get started indoors organically...

That’s my dream bro. I am relocating with my family to Tennessee or Kentucky in the near future and planning on getting a little land.
Hope you can Get those plants in some big pots this year.
That is a nice dream. Dont need much either. I have spotted plenty around here for reasonable money.

I am going to ask some family if I can put a plant on their property. I want a nice family to take care of it.

Back
Top Bottom