Amy Gardner’s High Brix Dreams

Looking good Amy. Are you going to train it any?
High derby, yeah I probably will. Part of me wants to let it go natural, and I know the light penetration is going to be adequate for that - Graytail has been finding his lower buds with this igniting to be very well developed. But most;y i’ve been thinking of topping at least once, maybe twice. That said, I planted waaaay later than I expected so am also wondering about letting it go natural for the sake of timing - ie not losing any worth a topping. If I top at teh right time of teh moon, though, things shouldn’t skip a beat :thumb:

Then I’ll likey only do a little LST to bring up the internal branches. Nothing particularly extensive.

Update: Blue Dream - day 14

We’re currently into the second week of the waning moon cycle and over the next week all the lunar influence is continuing to enhance whatever is happening beneath the soil, or so lunar gardeners such as myself believe. The dark moon is about roots. One writer on moon gardeneing (Ute York) refers to it as the earth breathing in and out with the moon cycle (I’m paraphrasing a bit) so the waning cycle is when the earth is breathing in...

It’s also a good time to ‘turn inwards’ a bit ourselves. The dark moon period, particularly the last quarter that we are now entering, is a great time for extra rest and meditation, clearing out old stuff that’s cluttering up your life unnecessarily and letting go of things that cause you pain. You can do any of those things at any time of course, but doing them during a dark moon week will bring some lovely cosmic support for your efforts.:battingeyelashes:

Over the last week I continued to make minor adjustments to the tent environment, resetting the monitor at the end of every day to get a read on the next 24hrs. I built the extraction unit and adjusted until the environmentals settled to within tolerance. We’re holding with 23-27ºC during the day (usually on 25-6) and down to 17º-19º overnight, right on the edge. RH is steady between 40 and 56%. A few days ago, I moved the plant away from the centre of the tent a bit, towards a corner and this allowed me to set the humidifier and the fan up a bit better. The moisture gets nicely distributed by the fan now and the plant seems very happy with the new arrangement. It’s only a slight adjustment but it seems better - and I’ll need to tweak it again over the coming weeks as it grows. In future I’ll always start witht the seedling off to the side like this. It’s pretty much where it would be if it was in a veg area with other plants.

It may or my not be completely coincidental but just after I did that I think the roots must have found their feet into the soil battery and growth really took off! Shoots appeared at every node and the distance between nodes is looking really really good :slide: I know it’s said to be the boring part of the grow, but i’m not bored at all (granted I’m new to indoor so have been entertained getting environmentals in order).

For this update, my new camera got an outing with the new closeup lens I received a while back for my birthday (the camera was a birthday present too). I just did everything on full auto mode. I’m now in love with this lens...

Everything is as it should be :ganjamon:

Hope y’all are having a lovey Sunday, or Monday morning (like me), or simply a wonderful day on whatever da it happens to be when you pass by. Thanks for visiting!

I’m off to cruise the other gardens for a while ...:surf:

:Namaste:

Hi Amy, she's looking lovely and healthy, you're obviously treating her right.
This is a strain I have been thinking about growing, I harvested a Blueberry around 7 weeks ago, I don't have much of it left now, but it is really turning into a very nice smoke and the blueberry flavours are coming out now. I also find it a very relaxing, at-peace with the word smoke. So I'll be interested in hearing what you think about it when she's finally ready.

I'd love to have your temps and humidity, I've been struggling with high RH lately and the dreaded bud rot is hitting hard. I really need to improve my ventillation and air flow. All a learning process.

Peace

@Amy Gardner I have personally witnessed the moon doing it. To see it you will have to periodically look at it several times throughout the night or ask someone to take detailed pictures for you if you can't look at it yourself. Obviously the closer to full moon the better you can tell. It does it every night.

Ok good, thanks. I’ve been thinking about shoving some foam in there. It;s not the fans that make most of the noise, its the rushing air in the pipe I think (and the box - a definite design flaw ;) )

I’m thinking that once I attach the filter I’m thinking of, then that will reduce noise and light leak issues. IN the meantime it’s manageable but I will employ some version of what you suggest and see how it goes... although it’s working quite well now, and isn’t super noisy... I’ll see what I end up managing. :)

Your plants look nice & healthy, Amy! :goodjob:
And, thanks for stopping by that "TMV" thread I posted in Doc's journal! :thanks:

FYI, they do make noise reducing ducting. Try searching that big jungle shopping site for "duct silencer hose" and you'll see it! ;)

thanks for stopping by that "TMV" thread

:thumb:

Holy moly Amy! That plant is what every plant should look like at 14 days. :drool:Not that many do. Mine never :oops:.

Beautiful pics. Looks like you and the camera are speaking the same language.

:hug::thanks:

I’ve actually wondered a bit lately that Doc’s HBB kit could really suit you. Not least because the pots are super lightweight! Not sure if you’ve ever considered it...

I’m going to try some autos in it, outdoors, this summer so you’ll get to see how it goes.

I’ve actually wondered a bit lately that Doc’s HBB kit could really suit you. Not least because the pots are super lightweight! Not sure if you’ve ever considered it...

I’m going to try some autos in it, outdoors, this summer so you’ll get to see how it goes.

I have considered it, but beyond the expense is the need to have it cook for 30 days. Not sure on the details (or if I can cook less than the full amount at a time) but space is very limited for that. And after you cook it can you leave it for another few months before you use it? My growing is pretty erratic in terms of how much soil I need. I'll investigate at some point. Thanks for thinking of me!

There’s always a humidity spike overnight though, to 61% so nothing too alarming. I’ve noticed people mention that there is a humidity spike after lights out, so I have the extraction fan set to stat on about 10-15 minutes after lights out. Before I did this it was spiking to the high 70s so leaving the fan running a bit made a big difference. Perhaps I should run it for a bit longer after lights out...:hmmmm:

How do y’all manage that?

I've seen this mentioned from time to time in threads and I keep forgetting to bring something up. People forget that RH is directly related to temperature. It's the percent of the capacity of the air. Air holds more water vapor at higher temps. So as soon as the temp drops, RH rises. The number that is RH is tied to temperature.

The spike in RH might simply be a sharp drop in temp as the lights cool off. The atmosphere remains the same - the temp just dropped - so the RH "rose" ... ?

Hmm, it is however, also true that when the temp drops, dew is more likely to form, and that's the issue, so ... it's still an issue. But maybe the solution is different? :hmmmm:

I have considered it, but beyond the expense is the need to have it cook for 30 days. Not sure on the details of that (or if I can cook less than the full amount at a time) but space is very limited for that. And after you cook it can you leave it for another few months before you use it? My growing is pretty erratic in terms of how much soil I need. I'll investigate at some point. Thanks for thinking of me!

I've sometimes been very careless about my soil and ignored it for several months at a time. Sometimes, it'd be almost completely dried out. But if I watered it thoroughly, made sure it was warm enough, and waited another few weeks, it would be good to go. Kinda like a restorative cook. So if you have room for a 27 gallon bin or two, you should be fine - remix and recook in one bin - keep soil ready in the other one. You can usually reuse it 3 times. You can even mix and cook a half batch (~23 gallons?) at a time.

So ... it's pretty forgiving. :bongrip:

I've sometimes been very careless about my soil and ignored it for several months at a time. Sometimes, it'd be almost completely dried out. But if I watered it thoroughly, made sure it was warm enough, and waited another few weeks, it would be good to go. Kinda like a restorative cook. So if you have room for a 27 gallon bin or two, you should be fine - remix and recook in one bin - keep soil ready in the other one. You can usually reuse it 3 times. You can even mix and cook a half batch (~23 gallons?) at a time.

So ... it's pretty forgiving. :bongrip:
Thanks Graytail! I've got (or might have...haven't looked in quite a while) a bin of vermicomposting that I think is 27 gallons. Is there an air-temp heat requirement for cooking? Like can I do it during the winter months (Los Angeles winter that is)?

Thanks Graytail! I've got (or might have...haven't looked in quite a while) a bin of vermicomposting that I think is 27 gallons. Is there an air-temp heat requirement for cooking? Like can I do it during the winter months (Los Angeles winter that is)?

It should stay in the 70s to cook, but it's not hard to fix that with a heat mat under the bin, some blankets or something - not a deal breaker. :)

And after you cook it can you leave it for another few months before you use it?
Yes you can. :thumb:

I would see it as something you could dedicate 2-3plants per grow to maybe, so still do your usual style with others. Foood for thought anyway. It’s really super low maintenance and I worked out it was cheaper over time than all the other options I was considering and that includes shippIng... I wasn’t considering synthetic nutes tho so that wasn’t in the calculation.

And you can cook half a batch ata time. That’s what I did. I have a half batch cooked which will do 2-3 plants depending on pot size. (2x10gal or 3x7gal). Then that soil can get amended and rerun 2 more times after that. The initial kit includes all thats needed to do a second run, and there’s an additional 3rd run ammendment that not much cost. But with the basic kit, there is enough to do 6 7gal plants twice. So that’s 12 seed to harvest cycles with the basic kit - with perhaps only the need to buy additional transplant drench. And then there’s little cost to amend for an additional 3rd run (and some folks do 4 even). So then you add in the castings and the promox HP of course, but I’d still reckon that over time it might works out cheaper. Just an outlay all at once to get started.

The other brix misfits will hopefully correct any of that if it’s wrong, please :thumb:

The hardest thing is the initial soil mix, and that’s a one off.

Enough zealotry! I was inspired to finally mention it to hou

Back
Top Bottom